Tuesday 13th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 13th October 2015

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:@howsillyofme1

Safe journey. I hope you've brought us all back a stick of rock.

Thanks PF.....I didn't bring rock but something squidgy and strange looking that was presented to me at a meal last night....I stuffed it in my bag thinking about you guys

It may be jellyfish but I cannot be sure!
[youtube]GVrTepl2hvs[/youtube]

(Yes, I know it is Japanese rather than Chinese).
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Oh and the level to which the Guardian has fallen when we have a headline suggesting that Gove is the saviour of human rights is beyond ridicule

The Government, and I ashamed to say the previous Labour one as well, has pandered for too long to this autocratic, theocratic vile state and the fact that it was even considered suitable for a contract such as this is an indictment in itself

What next announce that they are going to execute all red squirrels, then backtracks at the last minute followed by being hailed as saviours of British wildlife?

The MSM is scum, all of them and they currently have no place in our society.....

I thought Corbyn's statement was pretty good - short and to the point. No doubt though some will be on here soon decrying it

Can I ask though who was it that raised the Saudi Arabian question in their leadership speech? You know that worst ever speech by a leader ever in the world ever and will be seen as the worst ever forever and ever!

Reminds me of how they treated Ed - the courage on taking on vested interests but never given any credit and all his ideas rubbished viciously even though he has been shown to be right.....if only he had jettisoned his principles to improve his 'electability' - it seems to be the only way now. Pander to the press and the Tories being the only way to be elected - any other way denies the 'reality' of 'aspiration' and lacks 'credibility'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

McDonnell appointing the "wise men" was an excellent decision. As one of them (Simon Wren-Lewis) said expert economic advice hasn't broken through into Mediamacro. This is its best opportunity. Balls should have called a review in 2010.

I am worried about him being caught out by Osborne trickery, like Balls was in 2012 when austerity was slowed down. Hopefully, Wren-Lewis and all will be alert to that and help him. But he seems to have slipped up with this fiscal charter lark, and he needs a hotline to economic advice. Meetings every couple of months won't be enough.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:McDonnell appointing the "wise men" was an excellent decision. As one of them (Simon Wren-Lewis) said expert economic advice hasn't broken through into Mediamacro. This is its best opportunity. Balls should have called a review in 2010.

I am worried about him being caught out by Osborne trickery, like Balls was in 2012 when austerity was slowed down. Hopefully, Wren-Lewis and all will be alert to that and help him. But he seems to have slipped up with this fiscal charter lark, and he needs a hotline to economic advice. Meetings every couple of months won't be enough.

Tubby,

I what way do you think he has slipped up on this?

I think his explanation is okay - that it is a pretty crass trap set by Osborne and that he was only pandering to counter the 'deficit denier' tag - I remember him saying that at the time and it was in response to calls for him to speak out on this immediately after being put in place. It was a gesture and it has not worked out as he would want

I thought at the time it was a mistake to say he was voting for it but could accept his reasoning

I think actually opposing it will be seen as the better decision in the long run but will cause short term moaning from no marks like Leslie (how did he get put in as Shadow Chancellor?????)

The Guardian are behaving like complete twats today as well - I do not see how Labour can have any media strategy that works at the moment - the only thing the media wants (including the Guardian) is for him to be overthrown - that is clear. It is also sinister and appallingly undemocratic based on his mandate from the party - to be fair I also thought the media campaign against IDS and Hague was also very sinister (although I was less sympathetic to them)

The problem is that the Parliamentarians seem to listen to the media as if that is all that matters - it is why they need to be destroyed in their current form - owned by tax-dodging autocratic millionaire sociopathic cretins. I do not see much different in how they approach the truth to the official news agencies during the communist years - is the press really free in this instance?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Willow904 wrote:
September’s inflation rate is used to calculate a range of benefits payments in the UK.

Consumer expert Paul Lewis reports that these payments will now be frozen, as will other payments linked to the headline inflation rate.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 4a06987add" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Osborne can talk it up all he likes. This inflation figure is not good news for people dependent on pensions or benefits and will eventually drag down pay settlements meaning incomes will get tighter and if people fear low wage rises going forward, they will be more reluctant to borrow as well. Throw in Osborne's tax credit cuts and it's hard to see where growth is going to come from next year. It may not be all out deflation, but it's definitely stagnation.

September's figure is also used [along with January's I think] to calculate company pension increases.

What will really hit people on low and medium incomes is that despite headlines about negative inflation, a lot of what they spend money on will have gone up in price a lot more than the inflation rate.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
September’s inflation rate is used to calculate a range of benefits payments in the UK.

Consumer expert Paul Lewis reports that these payments will now be frozen, as will other payments linked to the headline inflation rate.
http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 4a06987add" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Osborne can talk it up all he likes. This inflation figure is not good news for people dependent on pensions or benefits and will eventually drag down pay settlements meaning incomes will get tighter and if people fear low wage rises going forward, they will be more reluctant to borrow as well. Throw in Osborne's tax credit cuts and it's hard to see where growth is going to come from next year. It may not be all out deflation, but it's definitely stagnation.

September's figure is also used [along with January's I think] to calculate company pension increases.

What will really hit people on low and medium incomes is that despite headlines about negative inflation, a lot of what they spend money on will have gone up in price a lot more than the inflation rate.
That and the fact that wages growing faster than inflation means nothing when inflation is so low/non-existent. Inflation historically has helped people manage their debts and therefore more able to take on new debt. Osborne's economic plans rely on households taking on record amounts of debt - a risky strategy at the best of times, but in the current climate I'm wondering if the British public will actually be willing to play ball. What happens to the economy when everyone refuses to spend?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Given Cameron's many many u-turns while in office I can only think that this brouhaha has been set up to try and deflect from what's really happening today, ie Goves actions against his own side! It drew my attention again to Graylings bizarrely named Just Solutions International, apparently a commercial wing of the MoJ, which I was itching to comment on recently, but didn't. Nothing good ever comes out of Grayling. But Gove's a dubious proposition too, though I'm glad this contract is not going to be happening, and absolutely resist the idea that this is down to Gove's principles. The issue of human rights in SA has been long campaigned about, and I suspect the very muddy waters that current cases of injustice would take the tories into re any support from far right voters may well have played a factor. But back to Graylings venture, did he dream up Just Solutions himself? We don't have to wait for dystopias, they are already here.... Oh, and Kuennsberg could stop fuelling the fires, too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Jason Groves @JasonGroves1
Did Michael Gove brief Jeremy Corbyn on Saudi deal to help bounce David Cameron into u-turn? Some Tory MPs think so...
3:36 PM - 13 Oct 2015

Quite possible. So...

1. Gove briefs Corbyn
2. Corbyn mentions in conference speech and writes to Cameron who ignores it
3. Gove briefs The Times on the row and tells them who are for the deal
4. labour put down UQ
5. Cameron caves in
6. Slaughter and Gove have a gentlemanly chat about it in the House.
7. Cameron and Hammond look the shifty ones who'd sell their own grannies.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I voted for a shake up. Corbyn seemed to be the one capable of it.....
The right wing of Labour are going to kill the party. Not Corbyn. If you lot can't accept that then there's no hope for any of us.
All they needed to do was show a solid front, be pleased at the surge in membership and if they're not they bloody well should be, and like sensible adults adapt...
We have to adapt all our lives, so why the fuck can't they? I'll tell you why; it's because they're not in it for wanting to do good.
Hungry kids? Homeless? Low wages? They couldn't give a tinkers cuss.They're career politicians. That's why Corbyn got in and that's why he's got a following.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Jason Groves @JasonGroves1
Did Michael Gove brief Jeremy Corbyn on Saudi deal to help bounce David Cameron into u-turn? Some Tory MPs think so...
3:36 PM - 13 Oct 2015

Quite possible. So...

1. Gove briefs Corbyn
2. Corbyn mentions in conference speech and writes to Cameron who ignores it
3. Gove briefs The Times on the row and tells them who are for the deal
4. labour put down UQ
5. Cameron caves in
6. Slaughter and Gove have a gentlemanly chat about it in the House.
7. Cameron and Hammond look the shifty ones who'd sell their own grannies.
Let them interpret it that way if they want but I think that Corbyn has been talking about this for a rather longer time than simply since he spoke to conference. Cameron ignoring letters is no new thing. He'd sell his own granny anyway. And everyone else's.

Edited to address point 7.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And to add to my rant.
And that's probably why Ed took a big step back. Seeing what his brother! His brother for Gods sake has been like. Can you wonder why masses of people are flocking to Corbyn? He's their last hope.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Meanwhile the Welfare and Work Bill reaches the final stages of Committee,the Government refuses to budge.Parents with disabled children of 3/4 years old will be subject to full conditionality and the sanction regime,being one of many delights.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

You know I spend most of my time studying revolution and civil wars in Britain, and it often throws up some interesting thoughts from the past.

Aristotle said that the primary cause of revolution and civil war was inequality. Of course it isnt as simple as that, unequal countries survive and can flourish, but only as long as the general population has a stake in society, and a belief in the institutions that run a nation.

The English Civil War, the French Revolution, Russian Revolution, indeed all revolutions from below, start when a large section of the populace bcome disillusioned with the institutions of the state, and decide the inequality must be addressed. Corbyn is a reflection of that emotion in our society today, so is Bernie Sanders in the states.

When the democratic challenge to the status quo is destroyed by undemocratic means, when the fourth estate does not hold power to account, when public institutions become corrupted by private money, then people become very disillusioned and angry. When there is no recourse to democracy anymore because of institutional corruption, violence follows as sure as night follows day.

Corbyn is not only the Labour party's last chance to survive as a political force in this country, he may be the last chance we have of preventing violence returning to political discourse in this country.

If/when he is ousted by the cabal of sneering smearing whigs within his own party, not only will labour implode so may our social cohesion. Labour will not survive Corbyn's fall, and I genuinely fear for our society if he goes. Angry disillusioned kids with no stake in society, and no hope of change, will drive change from below. If it can't be done peacefully, eventually it will be done with violence. That is just a simple lesson of historical process.

Marx said the revolution would happen in the most advanced capitalist states first, unfettered capitalism sows the seeds of its own destruction, that is what the post war consensus and social democracy was designed to stop. He identified the UK, US and Germny as the most advanced capitalist states in his time. Germany retains the social democratic safety valve, the US never had it, and we have dismantled ours. Historical change is not always slow, sometimes there is a sharp juddering point of change and societies crumble. Every society eventually crumbles to be rebulit. It is our misfortune to live in a such a time.

Of course, the cretins who snipe 'shambles' from the sidelines havent the cognitive powers to understand this, nor the morality to care. They would rather be bombing children in Syria.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

How do they judge inflation on foodstuffs? I thought they worked out the figures on the unit price, which I read as per tin or packet. If that's so then the shrinkage isn't being factored in...Is it? Or have I got it wrong?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The rumblings of 'had enough' are already taking place. Look at the huge increase on protest marches and people on them. Lawyers and doctors! But with media censorship there is a big chunk of the population who haven't caught on just how much on a knife edge society is.

If people see that the party they supported in such huge numbers because of one man, let change for the better slip through their fingers, the anger will spill over. It will have to. What else is there.
And the twats sticking the knives in each other's backs are too selfish to see it. And it won't be their fault. It never is.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:I voted for a shake up. Corbyn seemed to be the one capable of it.....
The right wing of Labour are going to kill the party. Not Corbyn. If you lot can't accept that then there's no hope for any of us.
All they needed to do was show a solid front, be pleased at the surge in membership and if they're not they bloody well should be, and like sensible adults adapt...
We have to adapt all our lives, so why the fuck can't they? I'll tell you why; it's because they're not in it for wanting to do good.
Hungry kids? Homeless? Low wages? They couldn't give a tinkers cuss.They're career politicians. That's why Corbyn got in and that's why he's got a following.

Well said OhSo. A few heads need knocking together.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I hope you lurk and come back soon Robert. Who knows we may yet live to see something good come out of all this.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:How do they judge inflation on foodstuffs? I thought they worked out the figures on the unit price, which I read as per tin or packet. If that's so then the shrinkage isn't being factored in...Is it? Or have I got it wrong?
They don't seem to.

My husband's favourite choc biscuit now has one less per packet, same price.
I usually grate my own parmesan but bought a packet of ready grated recently as I knew I'd be in a hurry and it was 11% smaller than it used to be, but cost more.
Veggie sausages the same.

Another thing to look out for is cheaper ingredients bulking out products.
I never buy ready made pesto because it should not have reconstituted potato flakes and sugar in it to make up the weight.

I'm getting rather obsessive, am keeping my shopping receipts to check now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Excuse musings.An evening cruise on the Huangpo river,a meal in a rooftop restuarant with a panoramic view of Shanghai.#memories.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Even the Scum are questioning the Tax Credit cuts.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

ohsocynical wrote:The rumblings of 'had enough' are already taking place. Look at the huge increase on protest marches and people on them. Lawyers and doctors! But with media censorship there is a big chunk of the population who haven't caught on just how much on a knife edge society is.

If people see that the party they supported in such huge numbers because of one man, let change for the better slip through their fingers, the anger will spill over. It will have to. What else is there.
And the twats sticking the knives in each other's backs are too selfish to see it. And it won't be their fault. It never is.
The 'twats sticking the knives in ' rarely survive the revolutionary process. They are driven by stupidity and self interest and realisation only dawns as they are lined up against a wall. Even those for whom I have nothing but contempt for on the right of the Labour party do not deserve that end. Nor for that matter do the tories (although there are some that certtainly deserve long prison sentences).

Revolution is a mother that devours her own children. Violence in politics helps nobody in the short term, but I truly fear it is coming, and not 1980s style miners strikes. The 2012 riots showed just how ineffective control can be when confronted by the mass of a population. Now imagine those riots coordinated on twitter, directed by revolutionary groups.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe less revolutionary groups, more groups driven by self interest.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I think a lot of people will drop out of the system, as they feel their chances of getting a decent job, home and life dwindle.
The revolution may be the way people live their lives rather than any overt action or rioting.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... tors-chief" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS seven-day plans will fail without more resources, warns doctors' chief

"Deepening shortages of NHS medics and the inadequacy of vital support services – especially in social care – to allow patients to be discharged, means the promise is unrealistic, especially with the service’s £2bn deficit, Dacre said."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Corbyn MP ‏@jeremycorbyn 4h4 hours ago

After my letter to Cameron he finally cancels Min of Justice bid to run Saudi prison service

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 92276.html
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

yahyah wrote:I think a lot of people will drop out of the system, as they feel their chances of getting a decent job, home and life dwindle.
The revolution may be the way people live their lives rather than any overt action or rioting.
Ten or fifteen years ago maybe, but today? Unless you have pre-existing resources it's not really possible to drop out. Even a very ordinary tenancy requires a guarantor and a credit check these days. No income, no tenancy. And more and more landlords won't take social tenants and the requirements for even the most basic of incomes are to sign your life into a type of penal system, where you are regarded as the lowest of the low and sanctioned for being that. So dropping out is for the well to do. It's not an outlet for the truly disenfranchised. I do not see anything except the most minimal of self organisation happening, a generation ago even the strikers were able to effectively support each other.

It's odd how much resistance there is to someone who speaks with the voice of reason. After last weeks exhibition of disgracefulness you'd think they would be grateful to have come away with an egging, a bit of spit and some cries of scum. But they daily provoke. Which is very concerning.

I'd love to buy into a quieter kind of change, but I'm not sure our system will allow it. Apart from exiting the system through surviving on the existing means of family or friends what is there? With winter coming I'm already aware of how many are rough living. The ones who don't have those unofficial safety nets. Yet more and more people are being pushed to a place of no resort.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This definitely comes into the You Couldn't Make It Up category.

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/tauheedul-educ ... -bradford/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An academy trust that runs ten Muslim faith-based schools is set to take over three non-faith community secondaries in the north, Schools Week can reveal.

Last week the Tauheedul Education Trust (TET) was chosen as the preferred sponsor to turn around Highfield Humanities College, in Blackpool

The trust has insisted it has “no plan at any stage to implement a faith ethos”, but concerns have been raised locally in the town where only 0.7 per cent of the population is Muslim.

Today Bradford council has announced the trust will also take over two community schools: Tong High School and Laisterdyke Business and Enterprise College.

Tong school is rated as inadequate by Ofsted and Laisterdyke had its board of governors removed by the local authority amid concerns of links to the Trojan Horse investigations.
:D

I think they're actually quite highly regarded but it just amused me to see that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''Tories gunning for Tom Watson forget their years of ignored muckraking''
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... muckraking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some good points from Michael White.

He ends it with: ''I cannot vouch for this law firm or its motives, ulterior or otherwise, but it is clearly experienced in this field. What it says today is this: it isn’t over yet. Plenty of time for the Mail to change sides again'' and links to the law firm's statement:
http://www.abuselaw.co.uk/news/latest-p ... -brittans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

@seeing clearly.

I'm thinking more of people buying vans, tents, old caravans to live in, or attempts at communal living. But agree that may be more open to people with some existing assets.

Also, more likely to happen in area like mine, very low population, lots of places to camp out.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just been sent an Opinium poll, being asked to choose who would be best PM, Corbyn or Cameron, and Corbyn or Boris Johnson, Corbyn or Osborne, Corbyn or May.

I have of course responded Corbyn in all cases, probably a few so called Labour people who wouldn't.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:@seeing clearly.

I'm thinking more of people buying vans, tents, old caravans to live in, or attempts at communal living. But agree that may be more open to people with some existing assets.

Also, more likely to happen in area like mine, very low population, lots of places to camp out.
Yes - it would be virtually impossible to opt out and make any sort of go at it in an urban area - for too many reasons to go into and which I'm sure are fairly obvious both to you and to everyone else here, anyway.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:McDonnell appointing the "wise men" was an excellent decision. As one of them (Simon Wren-Lewis) said expert economic advice hasn't broken through into Mediamacro. This is its best opportunity. Balls should have called a review in 2010.

Tubby,

I what way do you think he has slipped up on this?

I think his explanation is okay - that it is a pretty crass trap set by Osborne and that he was only pandering to counter the 'deficit denier' tag - I remember him saying that at the time and it was in response to calls for him to speak out on this immediately after being put in place. It was a gesture and it has not worked out as he would want
It's certainly a trap, and right they shouldn't vote for it. Looks amateurish to say they would, having not read it apparently. They have to expect this sort of stuff.

One thing McDonnell very much has in his favour is that it's much harder for the SNP/Greens/Plaid to say he's a supporter of the "£30bn Tory cuts" (which not even Osborne is). His slip here opened that up for them briefly. You have to be exceding careful of these three parties- the SNP in particular is full of liars about Labour.

But I think he's been good generally- I am very excited that he could bring mainstream Macroeconomics into the debate.

I don't why there's such a taboo growing up about Corbyn's media management.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-3 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Tom Watson's Leon Brittan letter received after police interview"
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Isn't that pretty hard to do, these days? I listened in in late 2011, when they cleared a traveller site, well documented case, it was terrible to hear especially the younger people, who were very afraid. Communal living is a better idea, but one for the few, not the many, I think also not suited to the angry.
We've got a version of it already, because young people are more and more having to share houses, and the landlords are getting fat on it.

The traditional outlet to the scenario that Tem describes is to invoke war. Internal or external. The former requiring a scapegoat community. The latter anything that can be summoned up. Thatcher used this safety valve and built on it to some degree. I'd much prefer the caravans..... I keep wondering why they don't start building a million prefabs, and then have to pinch myself to get back into the real world, where nothing that sane seems to happen. But it's not just the matter of a roof, you have to have the right kind of plastic, and it's hard to get services without it.

I'd be up for a caravan myself TBH.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

seeingclearly wrote:

Isn't that pretty hard to do, these days? I listened in in late 2011, when they cleared a traveller site, well documented case, it was terrible to hear especially the younger people, who were very afraid. Communal living is a better idea, but one for the few, not the many, I think also not suited to the angry.
We've got a version of it already, because young people are more and more having to share houses, and the landlords are getting fat on it.

The traditional outlet to the scenario that Tem describes is to invoke war. Internal or external. The former requiring a scapegoat community. The latter anything that can be summoned up. Thatcher used this safety valve and built on it to some degree. I'd much prefer the caravans..... I keep wondering why they don't start building a million prefabs, and then have to pinch myself to get back into the real world, where nothing that sane seems to happen. But it's not just the matter of a roof, you have to have the right kind of plastic, and it's hard to get services without it.

I'm fairly sure that I've mentioned this here before but, anyway -

When I was at infant school, I used to have a school friend who lived in a prefab. I was envious as it seemed like a wonderful, spacious, comfortable place to me. I've fancied living in one, ever since. I expect it must have had downsides which weren't apparent to me at the time?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Just been sent an Opinium poll, being asked to choose who would be best PM, Corbyn or Cameron, and Corbyn or Boris Johnson, Corbyn or Osborne, Corbyn or May.

I have of course responded Corbyn in all cases, probably a few so called Labour people who wouldn't.
Nah.
Cameron, Boris, Osborne, May or Corbyn?
More likely Tories, UKIP, Bus Pass Elvis, LibDems, TUSC and Greens vote Corbyn stacked up against those four.
Not a comprehensive list, above.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

When I was at infant school, I used to have a school friend who lived in a prefab. I was envious as it seemed like a wonderful, spacious, comfortable place to me. I've fancied living in one, ever since. I expect it must have had downsides which weren't apparent to me at the time?
I gave it all up … to live off the land

"...last summer we quit our jobs and flats, and gave away most of our stuff. Furniture and crockery went to a friend; shoes, bags and clothes to the charity shop.

The whole thing felt surreal when we were leaving with our bikes through the front door, setting off to cycle through Sweden, Denmark, England, Wales and Ireland. All I had was a small bag of clothes, camping gear and some electronics. We cycled 40-80km a day through Sweden and Denmark, (the distance increased as the trip went on). We had a small gas stove for cooking and and made most of our meals on it. In Sweden and Denmark we camped in forests, by lakes and on beaches, asking farmers if we could sleep in their fields.

Wild camping isn’t allowed in the UK and Ireland, so we ended up asking people if we could stay on their land. We were amazed by people’s generosity."

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... -good-life
It's over a year later, now and they're still at it.
It's working out okay enough, according to the article.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

seeingclearly wrote:

Before you rush out & buy a caravan, motorhome, whatever, remember what used to happen in the 1980's to people who took to the road to avoid the government:

[youtube]6LHizyCtakw[/youtube]
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Housing and Planning Bill published today

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/201 ... nning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/social-care- ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremy Corbyn, we need to talk about social care
Peter Beresford
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Research Institute
Thought leadership from Credit Suisse Research and the world’s foremost experts
Global Wealth
Report 2015

"...the group of millionaires still only accounts for 0.7% of population, but owns 45.2% of global wealth. While the distribution of wealth is skewed towards the wealthy, the considerable economic importance of the base and middle sections should not be overlooked. Together, these sections account for USD 39 trillion in wealth, driving a significant part of demand for a wide range of consumer goods and financial services.

Every year, we try to contribute to the house-hold wealth debate by extending our analysis to a special topic of interest. We devote this year’s report to middle-class wealth.

Notably, we find that middle-class wealth has grown at a slower pace than wealth at the top end. This has reversed the pre-crisis trend, which saw the share of middle-class wealth remaining fairly stable over time. These results reinforce our findings from last year’s edition of this report, which argued that wealth inequality had widened in most countries in the years after the 2008 crisis."

- Tidjane Thiam
Chief Executive Officer, Credit Suisse

https://publications.credit-suisse.com/ ... AF9341D47E
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PorFavor wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Just down the road in Walker, there's a whole estate of temporary prefabs, dating from just after the war. The locals call it "TinTown", but love it just the same. The real downside is the low population density single storey housing creates.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ever seen the tent cities in the States? The hundreds of people living in encampments, under motor way bridges? The disposessed, the mentally ill. The homeless, the sick and the misfits? Give it a few years....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

We have a large 'estate' of mobile homes near us...They are nice but flipping expensive to buy....
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

danesclose wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:

Before you rush out & buy a caravan, motorhome, whatever, remember what used to happen in the 1980's to people who took to the road to avoid the government:

[youtube]6LHizyCtakw[/youtube]
I got caught up in a police crack down on campervan convoys back then. I was driving the van with Mrs55 and cost centre 1 and got pulled over on the M5 heading for Devon. I was heading for the ferry at Plymouth for a boat to Santander, but by virtue of my T2 poptop, I was dragged in with the ravers and protestors. I had a wave of sympathy for black kids, who were then being hassled under SUS checks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speye.wordpress.com/2015/10/13/ ... be-joking/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Tory Housing Bill – You must be joking!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/ec ... redit-mess" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A simple U-Turn may not be enough to get the Conservatives out of their tax credit mess
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CallEineNow! ‏@KrustyAllslopp 2 hrs2 hours ago

Jamaica accuses David Cameron of misrepresenting prisoner transfer deal

http://gu.com/p/4d94f/stw

The PM telling big fat PORKIES AGAIN??
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:I voted for a shake up. Corbyn seemed to be the one capable of it.....
The right wing of the party got hammered, Corbyn isn't just annoying the right wing he is driving the mainstream party into despair.

All Corbyn has to do is ditch the divisive stuff he has no clear mandate for, like Trident, and concentrate on strong anti austerity messages. He needs to curtail the Momentum bollocks, and stop trying to turn Labour into some pointless left wing protest movement. Recognise that using a hard core of say 100k "members" to turn the party sharp left in endless policy reviews is pointless if you aren't carrying the country (and then look at TUSC election results and realise you probably aren't).

The parliamentary party accepts the central message to unambiguously oppose the Tories on education, austerity, welfare, NHS, privatisations, union reforms. Blairism is dead. Now everybody other than Danczuk can get behind that program (and nobody cares about Danczuk).

While I don't necessarily agree with it I see the emerging Labour position on Syria as a shining example of what happens when Corbyn gets pragmatic. Suddenly Labour has a coherent story and Cameron will have to react to it. Just chucking a few bombs at ISIS suddenly won't cut it. Corbyn is going to look like a man with a plan at the dispatch box.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It doesn't seem to matter that Cameron compulsively lies."their all the same"(in that regard)suits him fine.