Mon 26 Oct, 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Re: Mon 26 Oct, 2015

Post by Temulkar »

Honestly, even with my slender grasp of constitutional law, Jacob Rees Mogg is a joke. The Salisbury convention has been adhered to rigidly. Hollis has actually been really astute in her wording. If its not in the manifesto it is not covered by the convention. 12bil of cuts is in the manifesto, not 4.5 to tax credits. It is perfectly in the govts power to find the 12 billion elsewhere.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Perhaps boxing and the Lords could swap Queensbury for Salisbury "rules"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Temulkar wrote:Honestly, even with my slender grasp of constitutional law, Jacob Rees Mogg is a joke. The Salisbury convention has been adhered to rigidly. Hollis has actually been really astute in her wording. If its not in the manifesto it is not covered by the convention. 12bil of cuts is in the manifesto, not 4.5 to tax credits. It is perfectly in the govts power to find the 12 billion elsewhere.
Rees Mogg is of the "if I speak slowly and pompously then my words carry more weight no matter what I'm saying" school.

In any case, why does "convention" have to be followed? If it is not in legislation that the Lords have to follow the Commons then they don't have to - otherwise what is their purpose?

OK, enough from me. Night all...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:Honestly, even with my slender grasp of constitutional law, Jacob Rees Mogg is a joke. The Salisbury convention has been adhered to rigidly. Hollis has actually been really astute in her wording. If its not in the manifesto it is not covered by the convention. 12bil of cuts is in the manifesto, not 4.5 to tax credits. It is perfectly in the govts power to find the 12 billion elsewhere.
Yep. They could avoid other tax cuts for a start.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Tue 27 Oct, 2015 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Excellent letter in the G.
t is a measure of just how much George Osborne’s post-election attack on tax credits represents an assault of genuinely historic proportions on Britain’s poor that his PM has made reference to the 1911 Parliament Act in his railing against popular protest and his fear of blocking measures in the House of Lords (Report, 22 October). Let us remember why the act was brought in by the Liberal government of Asquith and Lloyd George. The landed wealth elite, including men such as George Osborne’s direct ancestors, the Anglo-Irish baronets of Ballentaylor, dominated the House of Lords. They rejected the elected government’s policy – democratically tested at the bar of two general elections in 1910 – to impose new progressive forms of taxation on the super-wealthy to help fund such basic social security measures for the working poor as pensions and the first National Insurance Act.

Just over a century later, a Conservative government is seeking to impose on the poorest in society a drastic cut in their living standards, through a policy which was deliberately not put before the electorate at an election fought a few months ago. Mr Cameron is darkly mentioning the Parliament Act of 1911 to cow the House of Lords into compliance because the upper chamber is no longer exclusively the club of the wealth elite as it was in 1911. The alternative, as Mr Cameron’s timely recollection of the 1911 Parliament Act reminds us all, is for parliament to ensure that the financial elite pay their way more fully in our society, a case that is all the more compelling considering their undisputed role in punching a hole in the nation’s finances in 2008. The problem today is not control over the House of Lords. Today’s financial elite have found that it is much more efficient to exert their control over the House of Commons itself. This they do though a Tory party that is almost entirely funded by them and whose administration is safely in the hands of a chancellor who fully appreciates the importance of looking after the interests of the nation’s wealth elites. After all, he is the future 18th baronet of Ballentaylor.
Simon Szreter
Professor of history and public policy, University of Cambridge
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cameron thinks he is King ####ing Arthur now:

Roundtable held at Number 10 to tackle discrimination

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/roun ... rimination" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Just read Sparrow's summation of tonight's HoL events. Not one single mention of Labour. At all. Anywhere.

Harrumph.

G'night anyhoo.