Saturday 31st October (Halloween) & Sunday 1st November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 31st October (Halloween) & Sunday 1st November

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Yesterday we saw friends from twelve years ago...Lots of catching up and was struck anew at how little the Tories really know or care about how a big percentage of the country lives. Even I'd forgotten just how hard it can get...

They have a son who joined the army 11 years ago...He did two tours of Afghanistan. Injured physically and mentally he is having a hard job managing his temper. He is living with his parents while he goes through all the hoops of claiming disalbility etc. but she is becoming afraid of him, fears he'll lash out soon. Needless to say he doesn't do it when his father's around. Even so she says she's happier he's at home where they can keep an eye on him. His dad takes him to a medical centre for veterans for treatment.
He said it makes him feel sick. He said when he was a boy he was used as we all were to seeing men who'd lost limbs or had burns from the war and his mother saying, 'don't stare, he got that in the war'...
Recently when they were at the centre, he saw a whole roomful of young men with one or more limbs missing. He said the reality of what really happens made him come over faint.

Their other son moved back in with them when he split with his partner. He has a daughter who is now living in Wales, so in order not to lose touch with her, every couple of weeks her husband hires a car, drives down, picks their granddaughter up, she stays overnight and then they take her back the following day

They rent from a housing association.
They both work - always have done, but are classed as low pay.
We were chatting about utility bills.
I said I only showered every other day to save money and felt like a big spender when she said she and hubby only take one bath a week. They make do with a good strip down wash the rest of the week. She haunts supermarkets when they're filling up the reduced shelves and says if she times it right she can buy bread at 19 pence a loaf.

I was left feeling bloody guilty...
I recognise this description, I live much of it too. Never in my life have I lived as frugally as I live now.

I got knocked over by an a motorist running a red light in the USA several years ago. I received nothing to compensate me for this but the experience of what it's like to live through a series of unpleasant events beyond my control. I don't underestimate the value of this experience. One catastrophe after another, personal, global. It was miraculous I'm not dead or broken. The orthopaedic surgeon looked at the bone bruising and said the vehicle hit me going 40 mph or so. Yep, that’s what people saw too. He couldn't understand how nothing was broken. I'll likely live with pain the rest of my life - sometimes little pain, sometimes bad pain. I'm ageing, the pain sometimes makes me tired. My capacity for active work and movement remains.

'Goddess bless you, Big Time!', a Hindu monk eagerly said to me, demanding the monk moving his wheelchair push faster to reach me as I walked for the last time through the Vedanta retreat, near where I'd lived, before I left to come home to the UK.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Thick fog, and some dipshit is letting off fireworks...We're doomed!
Yes, it's like that here in Stoke right now too!
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Hobiejoe wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Looking like a landslide for Erdogan in today's Turkish GE. Ugh.
I was under the impression - albeit one gained some years ago - that the military were staunch defenders of Turkey's secularism, a legacy of Ataturk. Is this still the case, and if so, what now?
Military aren't really there in the service of ideas, anywhere in the world, are they? They are there to protect government. That's my understanding, Turkey no exception.

Not sure if secularism is even relevant in the way we usually use it in places where it has been used to punish people for the only social structures that give them some cohesion. The worst dwellings I ever saw were there, outside of the tourist comfort zones. But we think of it as a modern nation because of Ataturk and all that.

The results - another place that deserves a lot better.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

It is the start of Divali tonight for those wondering why fireworks are going off.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Temulkar wrote:It is the start of Divali tonight for those wondering why fireworks are going off.
That's not the reason round here. Been randomly going off all week and mid-afternoon today. Not sure what they were expecting to see. :roll:
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

refitman wrote:
Temulkar wrote:It is the start of Divali tonight for those wondering why fireworks are going off.
That's not the reason round here. Been randomly going off all week and mid-afternoon today. Not sure what they were expecting to see. :roll:
When I was living in Hounslow it was a month long banger fest. Halloween, Diwali, Guy Fawkes all merge into one long firework show. Used to drive the dog insane, she much prefers west wales.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jonathan Portes ‏@jdportes 7h7 hours ago Mansfield, England
Commission considering (sensible?) tweaks to migrants' benefits rights: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... curbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Wouldn't impact "pull factor" though..
Agree with him they generally look - on first glance - sensible.

They appear to be based on some thinking and developing policy that has been going on for a while according to this second link ... transcript of a speech re EU labour mobility given in Poland. Has some interesting stats and info in it.
Matthew Holehouse ‏@mattholehouse 6h6 hours ago
@jdportes @StrongerInNos ppl keeping cards close to chest given UK situ but some clues to poss content here: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SP ... 841_en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Speech was given by Belgian Marianne Thyssen
Commissioner (2014-2019)
Employment, Social Affairs, Skills and Labour Mobility

Marianne Thyssen was formerly head of a research department and acting Secretary-General at UNIZO (a Belgian organisation for the self-employed and small and medium-sized businesses).
Belgium, specifically Flanders, has a long tradition of self-employed people and small or medium-sized enterprises. Established more than 100 years ago, UNIZO (Organisation for the Self-Employed and SMEs) is the largest Flemish organisation for self-employed entrepreneurs and champions the interests of these entrepreneurs.

http://www.unizo.be/cyclingteam/eu/index.jsp
I always check financial interests of public people who've documentation about their financial intersts in order to get a better understanding of them.
Some of her financial interests -
Shares
koniniklijke dsm
tessenderlo chemie
nl ing group
exelixis inc
lern[h]out & hauspie
telefonica

Other stock
kbc value sensor
priviledged portfolio pro 95
bgf glob. Alloc. FD
horizon private banking active stock selection
KBC exposure exclusive timing global leaders
BGF world energy fund
KBC equity func europe
http://ec.europa.eu/commission/sites/cw ... doi_en.pdf
(my bold)
I post Thyssen's unhappy investment in the following venture not to denigrate her in any way, she only owned shares and it was an interesting business. It went terribly wrong.
Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products, or L&H, was a leading Belgium-based speech recognition technology company, founded by Jo Lernout and Pol Hauspie, that went bankrupt in 2001 because of a fraud engineered by management. The company was based in Ypres, Flanders, in what was then called the Flanders Language Valley (mimicking the Silicon Valley).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lernout_%26_Hauspie
The chief executive officer of Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products NV had come to South Korea to solve a mystery: why his Korean lieutenants refused to release $100 million in cash they had on their books. Amid a deepening accounting scandal, Lernout & Hauspie, a leading maker of speech-recognition software, desperately needed the funds to stave off bankruptcy.

Arriving at the Seoul office of L&H Korea on Nov. 17, he was kept waiting for an hour before being ushered into a room with a visibly nervous Joo Chul Seo, head of the subsidiary. Mr. Duerden began grilling him about the cash. "Suddenly," Mr. Duerden recalls, "the door was kicked open with a terrific crash and three guys ran into the room, shouting and gesticulating."

The CEO watched in shock as the men dragged Mr. Seo out of the room and into an adjoining office, from where loud shouts and bangs were heard. "I thought the guy was getting beaten up," Mr. Duerden says. After urging employees to call the police, he left the building and high-tailed it out of the country.

How High-Tech Dream Shattered In Scandal at Lernout & Hauspie
Dec. 7, 2000
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB976143929804554337
The 500 shares she still has listed on her financial interests page are worth '0,39 euro' or less than twenty-eight pence.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Temulkar wrote:
refitman wrote:
When I was living in Hounslow it was a month long banger fest. Halloween, Diwali, Guy Fawkes all merge into one long firework show. Used to drive the dog insane, she much prefers west wales.

The same here. And firework night gets quieter each year...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Heating engineer came. There's one split pipe and another that looks set to split, hence the system draining itself down and switching off. So, he's turned off and drained down the radiators part of the system and force-filled the hot water bit in the hopes that it'll give me hot water for however long it takes until they can send someone to cut out the damaged pipes and replace them. He's also left me another fan heater so that I don't have to move the one I have between rooms. Small mercies...

It's really dense fog here, too. Never quite cleared fully in the daytime, which means it'll be turning smoggy if it carries on through tomorrow. And it's very cold, outside.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Happy Diwali to anyone who's celebrating that great festival of light.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Rowson on May, brilliant.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... er-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

seeingclearly wrote:Rowson on May, brilliant.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... er-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Reminds me of The Tin-Pot Foreign General and the Old Iron Woman.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 2h2 hours ago
Top civilservant at Bis urged Javid not to help steel apprentices at Redcar SSI plant to avoid "unhelpful precedent" http://app.ft.com/cms/s/cc4fc042-7f20-1 ... edition=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Top civilservant at Bis urged Javid not to help steel apprentices at Redcar SSI plant to avoid "unhelpful precedent" http://app.ft.com/cms/s/cc4fc042-7f20-1 ... edition=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
"unhelpful precedent"??? :unprintable:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

seeingclearly wrote:Rowson on May, brilliant.

'Tis genius :rock:
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
refitman wrote: That's not the reason round here. Been randomly going off all week and mid-afternoon today. Not sure what they were expecting to see. :roll:

The same here. And firework night gets quieter each year...
This year the huge bonfires of the last few decades, brought in to protect people from the dangers of domestic bonfires, are all gone. Not a single one left in this huge city. We still have plenty of bonfire night celebrations, families and students, but in recent years exactly what Tem describes. This year it seems quieter if anything. Have to hope that everyone will take care and be safe, fire men's services not being what they used to be.

Have a great memory of the community work firemen also undertake, in this case rescue work. A project where kids about to transition to secondary school did a photo story about canal safety, the firemen happily turned up for the shoot and 'rescued' the foolish pranksters who wound up in the canal. (Photoshop tuition provided, rather than actual immersion.) Anyhow the best bit of the day was the kids and moi turning up at the school after successfully bagging all the shots we needed, sirens blaring, firemen outriding, the whole school at the windows cheering like crazy! In seriousness though, safety education is really a big part of their work, in many setting, not just with kids but adults too. Another false economy.

Please if you get the chance support firemen and argue against cuts to fire services, do so actively, they are there to help protect and educate us all, because regardless of best intents accidents happen, human error and stupidity happens, and someone has to deal with the dangerous things in our world. (Have to wish they could cordon off and extinguish dangerous politicians too.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tories block publication of report into whether badger cull is a waste of money
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... er-6747135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Badger-killing Tories are refusing to reveal a key report showing whether the controversial cull is good value for money.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has blocked publication of the major analysis, despite a freedom of information request by animal rights campaigners.

Wildlife activists believe the secret document would throw into doubt claims the cull is worthwhile.

Supporters of the killing programme blame badgers for fuelling the spread of TB in cattle. But opponents warn it is eye-wateringly expensive and ineffective...

But Defra refused to release the documents, saying: “We recognise that there is a public interest in disclosure of information concerning the badgerculls in order to enable the public to assess the quality of policy formulation, advice and guidance, to enhance transparency of decision making and increase Government accountability.

“However, Defra has concluded that the public interest in withholding the information sought outweighs the public interest in its disclosure.

“The assessment of value for money is still in draft form. Defra took a measured approach by extending culling to one additional area this year (Dorset) in order to test lessons learned in a new area and to expand the evidence base that will be used to inform analysis of badger cull cost assumptions and value for money.

“Information from this year’s culls will be used to refine Defra’s cost assumptions in the coming months and releasing an interim assessment before it has been finalised could mislead the public, distract from the discussion of effective disease control and impinge on the safe space officials require to develop the policy.”
Translation - we are still fixing the report to say what we want it to say.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Quite.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tories block publication of report into whether badger cull is a waste of money
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... er-6747135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Badger-killing Tories are refusing to reveal a key report showing whether the controversial cull is good value for money.

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs has blocked publication of the major analysis, despite a freedom of information request by animal rights campaigners.

Wildlife activists believe the secret document would throw into doubt claims the cull is worthwhile.

Supporters of the killing programme blame badgers for fuelling the spread of TB in cattle. But opponents warn it is eye-wateringly expensive and ineffective...

But Defra refused to release the documents, saying: “We recognise that there is a public interest in disclosure of information concerning the badgerculls in order to enable the public to assess the quality of policy formulation, advice and guidance, to enhance transparency of decision making and increase Government accountability.

“However, Defra has concluded that the public interest in withholding the information sought outweighs the public interest in its disclosure.

“The assessment of value for money is still in draft form. Defra took a measured approach by extending culling to one additional area this year (Dorset) in order to test lessons learned in a new area and to expand the evidence base that will be used to inform analysis of badger cull cost assumptions and value for money.

“Information from this year’s culls will be used to refine Defra’s cost assumptions in the coming months and releasing an interim assessment before it has been finalised could mislead the public, distract from the discussion of effective disease control and impinge on the safe space officials require to develop the policy.”
Translation - we are still fixing the report to say what we want it to say.
Haven't heard them talking about open and transparent government for quite a while. That last paragraph.... :toss:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/1-mo ... -for-yours" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1 month to go to the Help to Buy: ISA government bonus – are you ready to save for yours

FO with "doing the right thing" bollox.
Last edited by HindleA on Sun 01 Nov, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Quite.
It is the duty of the Civil Service to evaluate the proposed spending plans to ensure that public funds are spent wisely. If the plans appear (as in this case) to breach the 'value for money' criteria, then the appropriate Civil Servant requests Ministerial authority to proceed. This he did and approval was given. This really is a non-story - the Minister has the final responsibility for the decision, not the Civil Servant. Correct procedures were followed.

https://www.politicshome.com/economy-an ... -unhelpful
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Quite.
Possible Javid stuck this out?

Civil servants are supposed to point out stuff like this, and the Minister decide.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: "unhelpful precedent"??? :unprintable:
Quite.

Civil servants are supposed to point out stuff like this, and the Minister decide.
One of Javid's SpAds I would imagine. Make the minister look good and more 'caring' than the nasty civil servant.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/n ... s-in-doubt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rail fares: introduction of more affordable season tickets in doubt
Government promise to help part-time workers hit by rising costs and delays in implementing smart ticketing
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
One of Javid's SpAds I would imagine. Make the minister look good and more 'caring' than the nasty civil servant.
Yeah.

Love the way they can't release eg the risk register for the Lansley Act because civil servants wouldn't give frank advice if they thought it were going to be made public...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:Heating engineer came. There's one split pipe and another that looks set to split, hence the system draining itself down and switching off. So, he's turned off and drained down the radiators part of the system and force-filled the hot water bit in the hopes that it'll give me hot water for however long it takes until they can send someone to cut out the damaged pipes and replace them. He's also left me another fan heater so that I don't have to move the one I have between rooms. Small mercies...

It's really dense fog here, too. Never quite cleared fully in the daytime, which means it'll be turning smoggy if it carries on through tomorrow. And it's very cold, outside.
(my bold)

Yuck.
Please take care, LadyCentauria.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/n ... s-in-doubt

Rail fares: introduction of more affordable season tickets in doubt
Government promise to help part-time workers hit by rising costs and delays in implementing smart ticketing
Look at this, unbelievable.
A Conservative party source said: “Labour had 13 years to improve ticketing and did nothing. Yes, government and industry needs to do more, but we are making progress where none was made before.”
Shouldn't it have been done in the previous 5 years then?

C2C (who run a few lines out to Essex) have had their smartcard working since the first week of November 2014.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Shouldn't it have been done in the previous 5 years then?

C2C (who run a few lines out to Essex) have had their smartcard working since the first week of last November.
They're still working on the problem of how Ministerial second class tickets can be made valid for first class travel. :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW card reading terminals have been in position for years in our station (Chesterfield),doesn't seem to have progressed beyond that.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Quite.

But one would expect that civil servants also gave the positive side of helping the steel apprentices. A balanced view of the negatives and a balanced view of the positives. It's then down to the Minister to take the balanced view, overall, or to choose to prioritise his/her own political interests.