Monday 2nd November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
danesclose
Whip

Re: Monday 2nd November 2015

Post by danesclose »

TobyLatimer wrote:She dumped Jagger for Bryan Ferry

[youtube]FhYaFplWam0[/youtube]
I'm certain it was the reverse - she was walking out with Ferry but left him for old Rubber Lips. They were even together for a number of years & I believe had a few kids together.
BTW I loved the quote of George Melly who accused Mick Jagger of being wrinkled. Jagger insisted they were laughter lines, to which Melly replied "Nothing's that funny"
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Of course, Jagger was with Bianca before Jerry https://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1321956,1322449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sorry if anyone's already linked to the Guardian article below (memory fail) but, in case not, here it is and I think it's very funny (it contains a lot of "Tweets"). I like the poppy wearing a Cameron badge best.
No 10 red-faced after adding poppy to David Cameron Facebook picture (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ok-picture

Edited to add

I know we've done the photoshop story - I just can't remember if the Guardian article was linked or not!

Edited

I'm just can't remember? I sorry about that. Now corrected.
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 02 Nov, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Plans to bring local buses under public control face ruling blow

Culmination of bitter and protracted battle between Tyne and Wear and private operators could mean end of scheme to re-regulate buses (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... e-and-wear
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Plans to bring local buses under public control face ruling blow

Culmination of bitter and protracted battle between Tyne and Wear and private operators could mean end of scheme to re-regulate buses (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... e-and-wear
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

First it doesn't show - then two turn up at once.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 48m48 minutes ago
Ukip set to select John Bickley as candidate for OIdham West by-election | via @Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ction.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Bickley was the Ukip candidate for Heywood and Middleton who ran Labour close.

Presumably he and Ukip central will have worked out where the Oldham West boundaries start and finish this time.
“Carpet-bagging” UKIP candidate sends out letters to voters… in the wrong seat
http://labourlist.org/2015/03/carpet-ba ... rong-seat/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

More on that Arriva contract for patient transport services shambles ...
Cllr Kevin Peel ‏@kevpeel 30m30 minutes ago
Arriva's appalling performance revealed. I seem to remember @LucyMPowell warning government about this 3 years ago.. http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... y-10374889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
A private bus company handling non-emergency patient transport in Greater Manchester has been ordered to pay back £1.5m after misreporting performance standards.

Arriva Transport Solutions is out of the running to continue the service from next summer following the gaffe.

The firm was appointed to provide non-emergency medical journeys across Greater Manchester from April 2013.

It undercut North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) by £3.5m to secure the deal, which saw services privatised. Arriva received more than 600 formal complaints regarding the Patient Transport Service (PTS) in 2014, with 80pc judged to be totally or partially justified.

Despite bosses insisting the service had improved, it how now been revealed that Arriva’s performance standards had been misreported.

NHS Blackpool Clinical Commissioning Group - on behalf of 33 CCGs in the north west - led the commissioning of the services. Bosses there said management and process failures meant performance standards were ‘overstated’, resulting in more than £1.5m incentive cash being incorrectly claimed by Arriva...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Sorry if anyone's already linked to the Guardian article below (memory fail) but, in case not, here it is and I think it's very funny (it contains a lot of "Tweets"). I like the poppy wearing a Cameron badge best.

Edited to add

I know we've done the photoshop story - I'm just can't remember if the Guardian article was linked or not!
It's okay, the link I gave was to HuffingtonPost...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Sorry if anyone's already linked to the Guardian article below (memory fail) but, in case not, here it is and I think it's very funny (it contains a lot of "Tweets"). I like the poppy wearing a Cameron badge best.

Edited to add

I know we've done the photoshop story - I'm just can't remember if the Guardian article was linked or not!
It's okay, the link I gave was to HuffingtonPost...
Yes - I clocked that (and read it, thanks). Just thought I might have missed another one.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's an elephant in the room question that should be asked here...and yes, I'm sorry it's the Mail.

Three bosses at the government's disgraced spending watchdog were given £1.3million in pay-offs only to be rehired immediately in new well-paid Whitehall jobs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ehall.html
Three senior civil servants who were in charge of a government spending watchdog pocketed £1.3million in pay-offs before walking straight into similarly well-paid roles, it emerged today.

Neil Swift, Marcine Waterman and Jon Hayes were handed the huge sums after the Audit Commission was wound up in April amid claims that masses of taxpayers' money was being wasted.

Swift took £131,260 in redundancy; Waterman £244,000; and £800,000 was put into a pension scheme which will be given to Hayes in full if he is made redundant before the end of 2017.

But there was anger today after it was revealed that all three will be allowed to keep the money despite them all having since been appointed to other senior positions in Whitehall.
but then you get this.
The deals - revealed in official Treasury accounts - has been labelled 'a true scandal' by critics.

All three executives climbed the Audit Commission ranks while forking out sizeable amounts of taxpayers' cash on hospitality, hotel rooms, away days and marketing.

When ministers realised the magnitude of their spend, they forced the group - which has since been replaced by the Public Sector Audit Appointments Ltd - to disband.
Well...actually Pickles had the Audit Commission in his sights long before that. It was one of the first quangos on the hit list.

But who on earth are Public Sector Audit Appointments Ltd?

http://www.psaa.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Public Sector Audit Appointments Limited (PSAA) is an independent company limited by guarantee incorporated by the Local Government Association in August 2014.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government delegated statutory functions (from the Audit Commission Act 1998) to PSAA by way of a letter of delegation issued under powers contained in the Local Audit and Accountability Act 2014.

The company is responsible for appointing auditors to local government, police and local NHS bodies, for setting audit fees and for making arrangements for the certification of housing benefit subsidy claims.

Before 1 April 2015, these responsibilities were discharged by the Audit Commission.
Basically it's the Audit Commission mk II.

So because he was being vindictive Pickles got rid of the Audit Commission, remade it under another name but had to pay out redundancy to those people that they got rid of...who, because they aren't banned from working, get themselves another job.

What an utter waste of money.

Oh, and this just to complete the picture...
Swift immediately joined the Government's Single Source Regulations Office (SSRO) as Director of Corporate Resources after being dismissed from his role.

Coincidentally, he now works under Waterman once more. She was made chief executive of the newly-formed SSRO - which oversees defence contracts.

Hayes was given the Chief Officer's job at the new Public Sector Audit Appointments company.
So he's actually ended up doing a job at the replacement organisation?

FFS!

Of course, the three get the blame despite having done nothing apart from having been made redundant. Maybe the DM would be happier if they went on the dole?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Evan Davies clueless on Education.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Why doesn't Davis hit Morgan with Norfolk?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Morgan bullshitting.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Tue 03 Nov, 2015 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm a bit behind...so Morgan effectively said that there's no change on KS1 i.e. they'll still be teacher assessed?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

She said newspapers talking rubbish about testing.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

OK, of the 200-ish academies by 2010, only 49 were in London.

Sep-02......2
Sep-03......4
Sep-04......4
Sep-05......4
Sep-06......9
Sep-07.....10
Sep-08.......8
Sep-09.......8

Academies had bugger all to do with improvement in London - the improvements had started by the time academies were really getting going.

She really didn't have an answer to the question of what problem were they trying to solve in London.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

"The best people to run the schools are the heads, the teachers and the governors"

Yeah, like ours then?

Lying cow. No-one has ever challenged them over this.

Shame they couldn't have got Chris Cook to do the interview.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Chris Cook did well. Graphic showed all the underperforming areas. Some Tory shires v conspicuous because larger.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Some food for thought for Corbyn etc no doubt.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ity/413761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4m4 minutes ago
No10 source: Times claim that PM has 'abandoned' Syria RAF vote is 'complete nonsense'. And PM's position unchanged (re Guardian story)
Anybody might think the Tories were full of splits and divisions over several big issues ...

Anyway - it's pretty clear they haven't got a consensus in the HoC and aren't likely to be getting one.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Danczuk seems to spend a lot of time on Twitter pushing Mail articles, not just the crap stuff he writes for them.
His behaviour seems almost kamikaze to me. Don't understand why someone in his position would do this ...
I saw a piece in the Rochdale News the other day, from a couple of months back, basically asking what on earth Danczuk has to do to get chucked out, referring to a petition to have him deselected and even linking to it!

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-fe ... -terrorism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's fair to say that for a local rag to publish the link suggests they aren't exactly in support of him - and for a high profile campaigning MP to not be supported by their local press is, shall we say, a touch unusual.

I have to say, I don't know why Danczuk hasn't been tackled by someone yet. Perhaps the CLP is stuffed with supporters after the previous purge.
Chris Mullin seems to think he's heading for a fall ... on his way out. If Danczuk thinks that's the case then maybe this Mail love-in is about making as much money as he can before the inevitable (he's silly if he thinks he could make a career out of it after MPship ceases). Or - he's simply not making good decisions at a time of stress and, according to him, depression. I am trying to put the scenarios that have mitigating or rational aspects ... as opposed to the scenario that he's just a really irritating, selfish plonker.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Some food for thought for Corbyn etc no doubt.
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc ... ity/413761" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Joseph Stiglitz on Fixing Economic Inequality
"The world that Stiglitz envisions in his book, one where all citizens can enjoy the promise of education, employment, housing, and a secure retirement seems at once like the realization of the American dream and an unattainable utopia."
The final sentence of the article is hackneyed. We (human beings) have accomplished some good work throughout our history. I dislike the gratuitous, repeated refrain it's all too difficult and an 'unattainable utopia'. No, it is not. The author of the article may choose to roll over, I won't.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

From June 2013.

Ofsted Chief Plans to Parachute 'National Service' Teachers into Failing Schools

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/teachers-natio ... ove-481100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teachers could be enlisted to do "national service" at failing schools in deprived coastal towns and remote rural areas, the head of Ofsted has said.

Sir Michael Wilshaw, the chief inspector of schools, outlined plans for the most gifted staff to be parachuted into the country's "less fashionable, more remote or challenging places".

These 'national service teachers' could be recruited through incentives such as higher pay and faster career progression.
Her Big New Idea is two years old already.

:D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, friends.
love,
cJA
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Charlie Evans
Blogger and Economics student at the University of Exeter
Why I Have Left the Tory Party
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/charlie ... 17678.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Party of working people'

That's what was rammed down my ears during the General Election campaign. The chimes of 'One Nation' Conservatism were alluring to me and many others as we canvassed on the doorsteps of millions of households and relentlessly spammed social media sites asking for our friends and family for them to put faith in five years of Tory governance. My confidence in Cameron and his colleagues, coupled with a burning hatred of the Labour Welsh Assembly Government, meant the Conservatives were the natural option. Values such as individual and family responsibility, fiscal responsibility with a slight dose of British patriotism are all conservative values I adhere to. I even attempted to stand for the party in the Welsh Assembly election, losing out in my constituency's hustings.

But then came something that seemed so contrary to this main Tory message:

Why then, I started to ask myself, is George Osborne so hell-bent on cutting tax credits for working people? Every report has concluded that even with the increase in minimum wage and tax-free allowance, families will still be worse off...
He has other reasons too ... 'greenest government ever' tosh being one of them.
'The most vulnerable in society will be protected'

It doesn't take a senior investigative journalist to calculate that this isn't exactly true. Disability benefit for those who are considered able to work in the future, is being cut by £30 a week. Sure, try and help disabled people who want work get into work. But how is cutting their income by £1,500 a year going to help them into work?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

TobyLatimer wrote:
ScreenShot00917.jpg
A suit and tie in that design could sell quite well. Surprisingly, it suits Cameron – perhaps because it picks up and reflects his naturally red skin tone. There are plenty of poppy-patterned items for ladies so why not for men?
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Richard Angell ‏@RichardAngell 1h1 hour ago
The @BBCNewsnight segment on schools was amazing. In 1997 Hackney was a by word for failure. Now the beacon! Lab govt & council wkg together
Morgan looked like she'd got a half lemon in her mouth when she was asked repeatedly what - having seen how well London schools were performing - was the problem she was trying to fix by pledging to remove all schools from LA control?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Evan Davies clueless on Education.