Wedesday 4th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Re: Wedesday 4th November 2015

Post by seeingclearly »

Or when the clocks change?

It never got light at all today, not sure it did yesterday either.....
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's a blog that's supposed to be an answer to Labour teachers (which gets a fair number of people writing for it) and the usual suspects like Ms Birbalsingh writing for it but they seem to have trouble getting contributions.

The latest posting dated 4th November is here.

Joe Baron: Conservative reforms will expose rather than reverse Britain’s educational decline

http://conservativeteachers.com/2015/11 ... l-decline/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The usual stuff really including this corker.
Finally, for all their fanfare and the impassioned hysteria surrounding them, Academies and Free Schools aren’t the game changers being touted. They are instead a continuation of the Marx-inspired status quo: the very same Leftie group-thinkers dominate the top positions with one significant change, thanks to Michael Gove: they now have more freedom to do their worst.
:lol:

But one bit puzzled me...
His attempt to reintroduce teacher-led, traditional lessons has been thwarted at every turn by Ofsted’s refusal to play ball. Just last week a Civitas report exposed the organisation’s unwillingness to enforce the will of its Chief Inspector who, in this case at least, fully supports Michael Gove’s reform agenda.
Last week? Well, anyway, I went and had a search and the only one I could find was by Robert Peal who seems to have got a nice posting at the DfE having got fed up with teaching at Toby's school...but that was written last year. So, I got to the end of the article and...

First published on http://www.conservativehome.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on July 24, 2014

Oh.

Not many Tory teachers around that want to say how wonderful everything is?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne just gave a gift to his friends in the City which added £135bn to the national debt
http://www.thecanary.co/2015/11/04/osbo ... onal-debt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This has got to be a bonkersville story, hasn't it?
Cameron warned he faces huge Brussels bill as the price for curbing migrant numbers to Britain
David Cameron warned he will have to agree to large increase to EU budget
European Commission officials are drawing up plans to allow PM to stop citizens of new member states being able to work in UK for up to 20 years
In exchange, Mr Cameron will be forced to agree to increase of EU budget
It means Britain could be forced to fork out billions in extra contributions

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3qYgSGWfQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even if it were half way true - limits / blocks on migrants from new member states wouldn't satisfy current outers' concerns or give any further control over current migration from / within the EU to UK. And I can't see outers thinking that a massive increase in our contribution to the EU was OK either. Cameron would be heading for the almightiest of fights if he did a deal like this.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... o-mar-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ESA sanction decisions for individuals by disease Mar 2012 to Mar 2015
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
National Grid in urgent call for companies to reduce electricity usage

Company uses last resort emergency powers for first time in an effort to avoid threat of blackouts (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... xtra-power
Perfectly sensible really. Better than carrying huge amounts of spare capacity.
I'm concerned heightened state of emergency in media over power and the grid will be used to persuade, make mandatory, who the hell knows what all given this Tory government and people will be otherwise forced to accept unsafe use of unconventional fossil fuel extraction.

I know it doesn't make sense. It usually doesn't.

Not the same set of circumstances, I know, but I'm reminded of the Enron energy débâcle. Deliberate blackouts in California and other states during 2001-01 were used to cause fear and financially profiting from the manufactured crisis. I hate perfidious action. It's antithetical to fairness, rule of law, you know? We have to clean up the mess made by criminals inappropriately sanctioned. I'm not wanting revenge, just justice. I'd most like not to have our time wasted to begin with. There's many worthy endeavours cooperative effort could accomplish.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:At least they are my mistakes now, and I can get back to the rules of touchtyping that I've used for decades.

RR, I cant get the Indy site to work either and its neverending refreshing makes it unusable.Well I would do except on this device Ive got an app called News, and i get a barebones site that navigates fairly well, and has the added bonus of showing nothing below the line. its like reading newspapers used to be, but I only discovered it a few days ago, and click on my browser out of long habit.
I'm still using a mouse, so scrolling the Indy page isn't a problem. I can't use the touchpad. My finger tips are too squishy.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Trussell Trust will not have Jobcentre staff in foodbanks
The UK's biggest network of foodbanks has said it will not force its members to house Jobcentre staff

http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/t ... uE9QfXJ.01
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:Or when the clocks change?

Last Sunday, I think. It was a dark day, yes.

I'd love Tory government if they weren't real. Wonderful film, horrifying and sometimes hilariously funny. But on the screen or monitor only, a work of art, not reality. Tory Casualty - sounds like the name of a young garage band not a film title.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Student Protest London: Police Kettle Protesters After Home Office Hit By Smoke Bombs

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11 ... 72324.html
There are a lot of angry young people out there...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:At least they are my mistakes now, and I can get back to the rules of touchtyping that I've used for decades.

RR, I cant get the Indy site to work either and its neverending refreshing makes it unusable.Well I would do except on this device Ive got an app called News, and i get a barebones site that navigates fairly well, and has the added bonus of showing nothing below the line. its like reading newspapers used to be, but I only discovered it a few days ago, and click on my browser out of long habit.
I'm still using a mouse, so scrolling the Indy page isn't a problem. I can't use the touchpad. My finger tips are too squishy.
Same here, Ohso. I don't know if it's my fingers being too squishy. I think touch pads are inherently problematic for navigation, not for everything though, sometimes a touch pad is good. I don't even like a laptop keyboard.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

[disgusted noise] ‏@tekkah 10 hrs10 hours ago

Rupert Murdoch just laid off everyone at NatGeo. This asshole just ruined the greatest magazine in the world.

http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert- ... c-layoffs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A company jointly-owned by the Scottish Government is to take control of running one of the UK’s biggest military bases in the South-east of England, it has been confirmed.

The move has prompted concerns from locals who live nearby the Marchwood military port in Hampshire and are now demanding SNP ministers set out their plans for the base.

David MacBrayne, which is owned by Scottish ministers, will take over the running of the 330-acre site as part of a joint venture entitled Solent Gateway.

The MoD has awarded it a 35-year concession to manage the military movements through the port.
http://beta.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-3937549" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't help but find this a bit funny ...
(my bold)

Christ, who came up with that name? Unwholesomely too similar.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:[disgusted noise] ‏@tekkah 10 hrs10 hours ago

Rupert Murdoch just laid off everyone at NatGeo. This asshole just ruined the greatest magazine in the world.

http://reverbpress.com/business/rupert- ... c-layoffs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Is there nothing the creature doesn't destroy.

My father took an early retirement due to publication wars - he was a right bastard businessperson, my father, but he couldn't cope.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Perfectly sensible really. Better than carrying huge amounts of spare capacity.
I'm concerned heightened state of emergency in media over power and the grid will be used to persuade, make mandatory, who the hell knows what all given this Tory government and people will be otherwise forced to accept unsafe use of unconventional fossil fuel extraction.

I know it doesn't make sense. It usually doesn't.

I doubt they planned it- the Lib Dems had the Energy portfolio before- but agree with you that's how they'll use the crisis.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:This has got to be a bonkersville story, hasn't it?
Cameron warned he faces huge Brussels bill as the price for curbing migrant numbers to Britain
David Cameron warned he will have to agree to large increase to EU budget
European Commission officials are drawing up plans to allow PM to stop citizens of new member states being able to work in UK for up to 20 years
In exchange, Mr Cameron will be forced to agree to increase of EU budget
It means Britain could be forced to fork out billions in extra contributions

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3qYgSGWfQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Even if it were half way true - limits / blocks on migrants from new member states wouldn't satisfy current outers' concerns or give any further control over current migration from / within the EU to UK. And I can't see outers thinking that a massive increase in our contribution to the EU was OK either. Cameron would be heading for the almightiest of fights if he did a deal like this.
The new member states in the pipeline (assuming Turkey isn't) are fairly small- Serbia, I think, is the biggest.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

?!
My nephew works for NatGeo.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... o-mar-2015

The huge bulge in the mental and behavioural figures both adverse and cancelled confirm what I have been told, utterly awful. That 'cancelled' terminology very worrying too. some easy conclusions on that, but to emulate Corbyn, it's not easy if it's happening to you. My youngster found this almost unbearable to see, being ethical and kind by nature, he could see this happening to very fragile people who he couldn't stand up for given the high numbers of security staff, and always said they were picked because they were less able to argue their own case, and instead were scared by it and fell apart in some way, he'd come home tight lipped and angry, initially I thought it was the way he was treated, it took quite a bit to find out exactly what was wrong, very distressing to hear. It broke a little bit for him, he used to have the most fantastic bounce back quality, was just a big smiley person and now he only rarely is, so what it does for others more fragile I can't begin to imagine but it can't be helping their condition at all. He did six or seven years touring all round the country and knows what trouble is when it comes through the door, and these people were not trouble, they were mostly just very, very fragile.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Lewis ‏@paullewismoney 5h5 hours ago
The five bombshells that have hit the pension of this woman born in August 1954 https://goo.gl/tr7JZG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm almost too scared to really get to grips with what my pension entitlement will actually be. They still give out 'estimates' based on the current system and not the future one. Dreading it as I am in the age range - and gender - worst affected.
I'm in almost the same position as this woman re bombshells 1-3, I'm a few months older. I think counting bombshell 1 as a loss is a cheek, given that we had 20-odd years notice and the original position was unfair to men.
Bombshell 4. Final salary pension scheme members, public or private sector, were contracted out of SERPS/S2P. That means they paid less NIC and got less state pension, not unfair and should not in any way be a bombshell.
Bombshell 5 is outside my knowledge, sounds like a typical nasty tory trick.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Awful.
How can that be acceptable?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:

I find touchpads impossible too, but touchscreens much better. I can't sit long enough these days at my computer, other parts of my anatomy give way! A good mouse is nice, but a rollerball can be even better. You have to give them a bit of a go for comfort, just like a mouse, you can bypass fingers altogether if needed, and use any bit of your hand, no pushing them all over the desk if you get achy shoulders either.

A tablet is ok for social media, but not a patch on a computer if you want to do anything useful. 'Twas a gift so I'm not grumbling, I thought I'd use it to read books, but don't, you can fall asleep over real pages and know if your book falls it won't break.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:Or when the clocks change?

Last Sunday, I think. It was a dark day, yes.

I'd love Tory government if they weren't real. Wonderful film, horrifying and sometimes hilariously funny. But on the screen or monitor only, a work of art, not reality. Tory Casualty - sounds like the name of a young garage band not a film title.
Was referring to sudden increased use of electricity! Forgot to click the quote button, but know exactly what you mean. Theres a bit of me that's still in denial from May 2010.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde ... 2daecafa95" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Work and Pensions Select Committee session on Benefit non Delivery from this morning for those interested
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

gilsey wrote:

Awful.
How can that be acceptable?
It's not.

Confession, looking at the figures laid out like that made me cry, they are so cold and impersonal, but the moment you start interpreting them even at a most basic level it hits you. After the ones that I find most troubling are people with musuloskeletal and rheumatoid conditions, likely most are older claimants with worn out bodies, probably worked hard most of their lives. I hope the authors of these policies and those who impose them at high level get what ought to be due to them, it goes against everything I believe in to say it, but equanimity is hard to find when a small number of people deliberately set out to do something that has an inevitable consequence of suffering. i want to see them held to account.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They will be praised and lauded as saviours.The World is upside down,or I am.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Fear not - the SNP are representing the whole of the UK:
ALEX Salmond has landed a top foreign posting that will allow him to ‘grandstand’ on the European stage.
The former First Minister and his close ally and fellow Nationalist MP Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh will represent UK voters in the Council of Europe’s ‘parliamentary assembly’.
They will spend four weeks of the year in Strasbourg, joining fellow EU politicians to ‘debate social problems and aspects of international politics’.
Oh... sorry... forget the 'whole of the UK' bit:
Mr Robertson said: ‘We are delighted that the SNP’s role as the third party in parliament means Scotland has a stronger voice on key international bodies.’
http://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish- ... 9/TextView
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 4m4 minutes ago
£100,000 raised in 24 hours in bid to save Margaret Thatcher's clothes for the nation. By me for @Telegraph http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Save Margaret Thatcher's clothes for the nation ... no words.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

UK government axes plans for fracking in protected nature sites
Double U-turn as controversial technique for extracting shale gas will not be allowed in Sites of Special Scientific Interest after all

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... ture-sites
I don't trust a Tory U-turn or a Tory not to turn. Ever. A raft of bewildering consultation documents linked to efforts of dubious real-world value at present - all published today, what I've posted - there's plenty more.
Surface Development Restrictions for Hydraulic Fracturing
Consultation on Proposed Restrictions on Surface Development through the Petroleum Exploration and Development Licence
4 November 2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _FINAL.pdf
Consultation on a proposed amendment to the Contracts for Difference (Definition of Eligible Generator) Regulations
4 November 2015
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... egulations
UK carbon capture and storage: government funding and support
4 November 2015
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-carbon-c ... nd-support
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Goodnight.If anybody wants to save my socks for the Nation,you can start your bidding here.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

" Lord Freud, the Government’s welfare reform minister, said Universal Credit would actually make life easier for mental health problems because generic work advisors would become more adept at dealing with mental health issues.

“With the introduction of the way Universal Credit works, you suddenly see coaches begin to recognise where someone has got that kind of [mental health] problem and of course that’s the first step to helping them to get over it,” he told MPs on the Work and Pensions Select Committee on Wednesday."

Where to start.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

With the bouncer on the door.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So it's easier to spot someone with mental health issues if the benefit is called the same thing as one health jobseekers are on?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It will be renamed job avoidance lowlife scum allowance,tailored to such suddenly identified (apparently)individuals,just to aid their mental health.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Stop the World,I want to get off.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Inde ... 2daecafa95

Work and Pensions Select Committee session on Benefit non Delivery from this morning for those interested
Thanks, watched and pondered on. some interesting and impressive discussion that came unravelled for me in the last minutes when relationships with jobcentre advisors hove into view, asked by Heidi (?) and subsequent answers showed some lack of understanding of the reality of the client in the jobcentres, so I'll just mention the hot and cold method of dealing with people, or if you'd prefer it, the soft and hard questioning, so people get a weekly or fortnightly person to sign on with who ensures they have fulfilled their jobseekers commitment stuff, which can really vary quite hugely, new eager for work young people often make commitments that are near impossible to comply with. I'll not exolain further, not needed here. Basically this advisor will not ever be the person that sanctions a claimant, or not in these parts. it will be someone in a booth or cubicle or at a desk behind the main signing points, but mostly in view of people waiting to be seen. these are the painful interviews, and the soft advisor will refer his or her signee for one of these for the well reported and often tiny infractions, like a few minutes late, but also the big life events too, family members falling sick and so on.

Anyway, to some degree these are all going to change too, bbecause the plan is to reduce JCP staff numbers quite drastically, and then the talk of various other solutions. i know most of the people on that committee, and definitely all the people giving evidence have good intentions, but everything we see happening is about shrinking services not growing them, so i cant see FF getting his extra assessment centres, or not unless they serve another purpose like the forthcoming fit note and assessment for return to work that are on the way. Another thing people are barely aware of.

So i felt much more in tune with Steve McCabe who I surmised had a good dollop of scepticism going, unlike the Heidi person whose surname i've temporarily mislaid who did not really want to hear more when the person fromCAB mentioned the whole problem around sick people having to claim JSA because they had been refused ESA while being unfit for work, and hastily brushed past, as they all did, the issues about what was termed 'mandatory recon'. In fact Steve actually winkled out the real dishonesty at the heart of all this, a Minister of State who can arbitrarily halve or fractionate the real figures unchallenged, from noone having to wait more than five weeks, it turned out that the median figure was eleven weeks. But noone even looked remotely ashamed by this, and all in all I could see how the CAB person who seemed to have some working relationship with FF towards the end started to look resigned as most of the committee veered off into some safe mode that allows them to live with what remains of their consciences.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I wish we could raise more for your socks than is raised for Thatchers horrid garments, A., it would restore a bit of faith that disappeared during a handshake in a rosegarden.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

gilsey wrote:

?!
My nephew works for NatGeo.
Don't panic quite so much - my understanding was that it wasn't everyone, but pretty harsh.

The bad news is that this may just be round one.

If you speak to your nephew, do tell him that we're rootin' for him.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Could there be e deity out there after all, or at least some kindly spirit that might kill two birds with one stone?
There have been suggestions that the government is looking to raid the universal credit budget further to fund a reversal of tax credits, to the possible effect of undermining universal credit’s purpose to make work pay.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -thinktank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;