Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November 2015

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
refitman wrote:
ephemerid wrote: I'm sure we had another name for them - can't remember!
Was the ice cream cut off a long block, or were they individually pre-made? I remember the long block (and I'm a child of the 80s).
Off a block - and the trick was to lick the ice-cream all around and keep the wafers intact until you only had a bit of ice-cream left.....
I used to end up wearing most of it....
Precisely the same technique I used too following the first bite.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Here's a good policy, which will always be topical with Osborne in charge. Credit again to McDonnell for bringing Simon Wren-Lewis into the fold. Surely Labour can unite behind this?

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... iscal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Without some independent oversight of this kind, we will have the irony of government ministers arguing that privatisations are needed because we must reduce government debt for the sake of future generations, when in reality they may be increasing the burden on future generations. We need a fiscal watchdog to protect future generations from shortsighted governments.
Outstanding article.
Wren-Lewis writes the National Audit Office's official mandate doesn't include what it should in its value for money evaluation but nonetheless did a fair job of reporting the political nature of the sale. The Office for Budget Responsibility, the body that is mandated to dun government over privatisation boondoggle potential, doesn't do so, according to Wren-Lewis. I agree. How the hell is this legal?
I think both of them generally do a good job, as does the ONS, but Osborne's media mates ensure that their numbers are marginalized.

I'd really like a decent push from Corbyn to get their work less marginalized. I worry though that there's a touch of "the OBR are George Osborne's neo-liberals and anyway economists don't know anything" about Corbyn's circle.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TobyLatimer wrote:Apparently it was Osborne's idea to hire IDS in the first place, but now suspects he has been unduly influenced by religion. Now 'many' in the treasury regard welfare reform as an unexploded bomb waiting to go off underneath the government.http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/1 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back in 2010, Chris Cook wrote an interesting article for the FT about the clash between "religious Tories" and others. IDS and his thinktank seem to have been on the "Religious Right" all along.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/12400596-16ac ... ab49a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Among the secular members of the party machine, there is unease about that sort of influence. The use of the CSJ’s research, in particular, causes concern. One official – who, like all party staff I spoke to, refused to go on the record – said: “Their hearts are in the right place, but loads of their stuff is ropey. They just seem to make up statistics or use dodgy assumptions.” The think-tank’s support for subsidising marriage through the tax system is a particular bugbear. Another official said: “The CSJ claims that there is evidence marriage helps the poor. But you have to chase down a jungle of references to find anything serious. It’s mostly rubbish that doesn’t overcome the self-selection problem [that couples who choose marriage are more likely to have qualities that make it easier to stay together and be good parents]. We have repeated some wholly indefensible claims.”

Interesting that Matthew Hancock was seen there as having lost out to "religious" Fiona Bruce. Hancock has turned out pretty appallingly, and Bruce, to her credit, was up asking awkward questions about China recently.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sat 07 Nov, 2015 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Here's a good policy, which will always be topical with Osborne in charge. Credit again to McDonnell for bringing Simon Wren-Lewis into the fold. Surely Labour can unite behind this?

http://mainlymacro.blogspot.co.uk/2015/ ... iscal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Without some independent oversight of this kind, we will have the irony of government ministers arguing that privatisations are needed because we must reduce government debt for the sake of future generations, when in reality they may be increasing the burden on future generations. We need a fiscal watchdog to protect future generations from shortsighted governments.
Could we have one for education too?

They'd have a field day with the policy inconsistencies we have now.
Did you see this?

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/rscs-ultimatum ... ervations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most high profile example I've seen yet of an RSC and Ofsted coming into conflict. Some academies might be wishing that they'd stuck with the LEAs who've had years to work out where their influence needs to start and finish.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"In fact, it used to be actively encouraged because it usually meant that the claimants were a bit better off even if they only got their disregard."

I happened to do this for years with no effect on SMI,on outlining to the DWP the stupidity of removing the latter on any earnings whatsoever under UC,they deemed the number "insignificant" thus ignoring that the "better off in work" line a lie.Things have moved on now,of course.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:For all working UC claimants, DWP can (and has) insisted that people close their businesses down as unviable (even in cases where it was DWP or a Work Programme provider who helped set it up), and those with part-time or low-paid jobs wll be sanctioned if they fail to look for more and/or better work. In fact, the guidance states that people working full-time can be told to look for better work, and what that consists of is down to the whim of the JCP adviser. You could have quite a good job for yourself and still be sanctioned.

When Osborne and IDS drone on about perverse incentives, they conveniently ignore the much worse disincentives they are bringing in with UC. It's all part of the plan to get as many people off benefit as possible; and when you consider that any UC claim must take ALL household income into consideration, people who might have a family member who has a bit of a pension coming in or savings, it's obvious that the state will no longer provide if family can.
Osborne and IDS' 'perverse incentives' are nothing more than evidence of more psychological projection from them. They both know their policies are nothing helpful, advantageous or motivational for anyone. How can they? Anyone can work it out for themselves it's insane and sadistic to demand from people that which isn't possible, reasonable or beneficial. Making someone give up a job as stated in the guidance to find a better one or face sanction (all the social security entitlements are combined) is awful. Insane.

edited to correct 'lawful' to 'awful', which is what I meant to begin with.
Scary mistake
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 08 Nov, 2015 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Bear shits in forest.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ed-failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scathing independent report claims four-year ‘responsibility deal’ between government and drinks industry has harmed public health
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ Tubby Isaacs
I'm reliant on the work of the ONS and the NAO, I generally trust their information. These bodies are consistent and point out when the data isn't robust enough. I wanted to make it clear I appreciate their work.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:At the risk of triggering the politics of envy. I had some jam this morning. Apricot. On toast.
Actually, you don't see that much of apricots these days do you? Seem to have been largely replaced by peaches and nectarines in our shopping baskets......

What other food items from your younger days have gone out of fashion??
Luncheon meat and swede.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

We had a Yorkshire pudding with jam on for our actual pudding after Sunday lunch.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Who had eggy bread ? Like a mushy omelette with torn up slices of Mothers Pride squished inside.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hmmm.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Banana sandwiches with demerara sugar made with those miniature little Hovis loaves
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I used to annoy my mum for always asking for three banana sandwiches,two wasn't enough and four too many.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I did go through a stage of having to have tomato sauce with everything,including doughnuts.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

The remote Yorkshire village I lived in during the 60s was the template for Royston Vasey, we had a local shop where the genteel old lady had a bacon slicer on the counter. We kids used go in daily for our fix a stick of 'spanish' liquorice stuck in a bag of 'kayli' - a strawberry {or any other} flavoured sugary sherbet type stuff. No wonder I'm a diabetic.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

breakfast slices

http://www.chowhound.com/post/case-myst ... s-619986a@

Like reformed bacon with the healthy bits taken out.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:At the risk of triggering the politics of envy. I had some jam this morning. Apricot. On toast.
Actually, you don't see that much of apricots these days do you? Seem to have been largely replaced by peaches and nectarines in our shopping baskets......

Luncheon meat and swede.
I think luncheon meat is turning up in food banks...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

That horrible white custard they used to serve over jam roly poly at school, i feel nauseous just thinking about it.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Tongue Sandwiches.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TobyLatimer wrote:Apparently it was Osborne's idea to hire IDS in the first place, but now suspects he has been unduly influenced by religion. Now 'many' in the treasury regard welfare reform as an unexploded bomb waiting to go off underneath the government.http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/1 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The sooner the better.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:I used to annoy my mum for always asking for three banana sandwiches,two wasn't enough and four too many.
That's one of my favourite foods, only I don't do a dainty sandwich. I butter a slice of bread, peel the banana and wrap the slice of bread around it... :D

My mother used to swear she'd die of shame when I would only take slices of cold buttered toast for my packed lunch when I went on school trips.
I still like it. It has to be well toasted to the point of burnt and the butter put on when it's hot...

I didn't get a surfeit of sweets when I was young. They were the last thing to come off ration around 1953 and I was 9 by then, plus there was no spare money, so a tube of smarties from dad every Friday on payday was our lot.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is this a 'food off'?
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bread and treacle sandwiches...Only I don't eat them now :(
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:@ Tubby Isaacs
I'm reliant on the work of the ONS and the NAO, I generally trust their information. These bodies are consistent and point out when the data isn't robust enough. I wanted to make it clear I appreciate their work.
I appreciate the stuff you find from the NAO a lot.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TobyLatimer wrote:Who had eggy bread ? Like a mushy omelette with torn up slices of Mothers Pride squished inside.
A friend, very skint at the time, once fed fifteen of us with a loaf of Mothers Pride, half a doz. eggs and a pint of milk. She had some sugar in the cupboard, and the kid with the sweetest face managed to get the rest on tick till Monday. The loaf had to be sent back and exchanged, thick for thin. Eggy bread carefully made, posh people called it French toast.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Did you see this?

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/rscs-ultimatum ... ervations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most high profile example I've seen yet of an RSC and Ofsted coming into conflict. Some academies might be wishing that they'd stuck with the LEAs who've had years to work out where their influence needs to start and finish.
Yes, there was a post script to it...

I was going to try and write something about the RSCs using the evidence I've seen and heard so far.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Paper bags of fried bits from the fish and chip shop, they cost a ha'penny.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Actually, you don't see that much of apricots these days do you? Seem to have been largely replaced by peaches and nectarines in our shopping baskets......

Luncheon meat and swede.
I think luncheon meat is turning up in food banks...
How many years out of date?
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

seeingclearly wrote:Paper bags of fried bits from the fish and chip shop, they cost a ha'penny.
Scraps?
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... crapsarean

Scraps - like vowels - are one of those things that help identify northerners from southerners. They are the left over bits of fish batter. They are delicious. And they always used to be free. But now some poncey restaurant is trying to charge for them.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinybgoat wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:Paper bags of fried bits from the fish and chip shop, they cost a ha'penny.
Scraps?

Scraps - like vowels - are one of those things that help identify northerners from southerners. They are the left over bits of fish batter. They are delicious. And they always used to be free. But now some poncey restaurant is trying to charge for them.
help identify northerners from southerners

Wait, what? Have asked for scraps in Bristol, Manchester and Sheffield. Been understood everywhere.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

refitman wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:
Scraps?

help identify northerners from southerners

Wait, what? Have asked for scraps in Bristol, Manchester and Sheffield. Been understood everywhere.
But was in the guardian, it must be true!
Was from 2007, though.
Wikipedia says:
In some parts of the North, they are referred to as 'bits' or 'batter'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mr and Mrs Holt who were from up North and ran our local chippie used to save all the batter bits and then put them in with our three pennorth of chips. They never charged for it...

One night when Mr Ohso and I were still courting he was hitchhiking his way back to Greenham and happened to pop into the chip shop for some chips to eat on the way back. They were on the point of closing, and asked him if he wanted some crackling. He didn't have a clue what it was but never one to refuse food said yes please. Same with the malt vinegar...He said it was one of the best things he'd ever tasted...
MsChin
Backbencher

Post by MsChin »

All this nostalgic foodie stuff ...

You can still get a block of ice cream - vanilla or neopolitan - and wafers from our local Morrisons and Asda. Cones were rectangular at the ice cream end so you could cut a slice of ice cream from the block and ease it into the cone balanced on a table knife. I think we only got round cones when they started selling whipped ice cream from the ice cream vans.

I loved scraps .. and chips cooked in beef or pork dripping.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Never heard them called scraps...We always called it crackling...
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Champagne?

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... lifes-joys

(Suzanne Moore, article)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

MsChin wrote:All this nostalgic foodie stuff ...

You can still get a block of ice cream - vanilla or neopolitan - and wafers from our local Morrisons and Asda. Cones were rectangular at the ice cream end so you could cut a slice of ice cream from the block and ease it into the cone balanced on a table knife. I think we only got round cones when they started selling whipped ice cream from the ice cream vans.

Re the chips cooked in beef dripping. I was watching a programme on TV the other week. They were building a chip shop with original fittings and friers at the open air museum up North - got the name on the tip of my tongue but it won't come. Is it Beamish? When it was completed they fried their first lot of chips in beef fat and lard.

I'm too scared to eat too much animal fat with my high cholesterol.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

There were places that sold scoops of ice cream when I was young. I think it was kept cold with dry ice. We had an Italian family that made and sold their own...It was to die for. They finally shut down quite a few years ago, but Reading people still mourn their loss...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Another good article about the mixed messages about the EBacc - this time, both messages come from one and the same person...

Nicky Morgan and the EBACC OUTRAGE!

https://martinrobborobinson.wordpress.c ... c-outrage/
Hang on, isn’t there a problem here? Let us look at these two statements, the one from her Policy Exchange speech and the other from the launch of a campaign called ‘Your Life’. In the first one Morgan defends the Ebacc in the second she waxes lyrical about the importance of STEM. Only Science and Maths feature in both, ‘Technology’ and Engineering, among others, do not. If the subjects to keep a child’s options open are STEM then, surely, STEM should feature in the Ebacc? Computer science features which might ‘suffice’ as a technology option but only at the possible expense of another science. This means that the Ebacc trumpeted earlier this week as: “the foundations of a good education that ultimately will keep options open for young people’s future.” has been shown up by the same Nicky Morgan not to be. This Morgan says that “the foundations of a good education that ultimately will keep options open for young people’s future,” include technology and engineering and not the humanities.
:D
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

The bits of batter left over were called scranchings in the Toon when I was a kid. I'm tempted to find a choppy and ask for some, to see if the term is still used.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Another good article about the mixed messages about the EBacc - this time, both messages come from one and the same person...

Nicky Morgan and the EBACC OUTRAGE!

https://martinrobborobinson.wordpress.c ... c-outrage/
Hang on, isn’t there a problem here? Let us look at these two statements, the one from her Policy Exchange speech and the other from the launch of a campaign called ‘Your Life’. In the first one Morgan defends the Ebacc in the second she waxes lyrical about the importance of STEM. Only Science and Maths feature in both, ‘Technology’ and Engineering, among others, do not. If the subjects to keep a child’s options open are STEM then, surely, STEM should feature in the Ebacc? Computer science features which might ‘suffice’ as a technology option but only at the possible expense of another science. This means that the Ebacc trumpeted earlier this week as: “the foundations of a good education that ultimately will keep options open for young people’s future.” has been shown up by the same Nicky Morgan not to be. This Morgan says that “the foundations of a good education that ultimately will keep options open for young people’s future,” include technology and engineering and not the humanities.
:D
The Ebacc reflects prejudices. Engineering and technology don't fit with the Gove/Morgan/Gibb view of education as being basically what they did. They can't imagine people going straight into them.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

ohsocynical wrote:

Re the chips cooked in beef dripping. I was watching a programme on TV the other week. They were building a chip shop with original fittings and friers at the open air museum up North - got the name on the tip of my tongue but it won't come. Is it Beamish? When it was completed they fried their first lot of chips in beef fat and lard.

I'm too scared to eat too much animal fat with my high cholesterol.
Yes, it's Beamish Museum. The coal fired chip shop was moved in bits from Winlaton to the museum and looks wonderful. If anyone is heading up this way, Beamish is well worth a visit, although a bit prices.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/dave ... b-gdnmedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A small tribute to Tom Barry of BorisWatch
One of London’s best commentators on the mayoralty of Boris Johnson has died far too young
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I like Beamish,haven't been for a while.Sometimes we stayed in a liittle b and b in No Place.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Talking of educational prejudices, why are Law, Psychology, Economics, Politics, Philosophy etc good enough subjects for Oxbridge degrees, but not good enough for the Ebacc?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sunday Times running with leaks of government plans re British Bill of Rights ...
Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 1h1 hour ago
Govt's plan to scrap the human rights act and what the new bill of rights will look like - revealed in the Sunday Times

Britain will remain a signatory to the European convention on human rights but would enforce it differently under new govt plans

Gove was due to publish his plans to replace the human rights act in 3-4 weeks. But you can read it in the Sunday Times

New bill of rights will be "a reference for individual rights" rather than a body of law “whose main aim is as a route to compensation”.

New bill of rights: Ministers looking at enshrining the notion of parliamentary sovereignty explicitly in law.

Human rights laws would in future apply only in Britain, so they can't be used to sue soldiers for their actions “on the battlefield”

British bill of rights will contain explicit statement backing “freedom of expression” for the press.

In future human rights judges can rely on the common law or judgments in Commonwealth countries not European court of human rights

New human rights law: judges will be told they will not have to follow rulings of the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg

British bill of rights will limit compensation payments for human rights cases against public services
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Talking of educational prejudices, why are Law, Psychology, Economics, Politics, Philosophy etc good enough subjects for Oxbridge degrees, but not good enough for the Ebacc?
Some may get educated above their station. Though not everyone educated at Oxford or Cambridge is part of the Establishment, an Establishment person educated at Oxbridge delights in keeping some subjects exclusive and prevent these subjects taught to the general population. During debates or interviews, an Establishment person will condescendingly sigh with fake regret at the person disagreeing with them.

'You've not studied (choose one) Law, Psychology, Economics, Politics or Philosophy. You can't speak my language so I will stop talking, you're ignorant of what I know.'

The finest day for a member of this Establishment is the morning they find out they're wrong. All the self-loathing falls away and they know they're just as important as everyone else without having to try. Sorry for time lost in ignorance, grateful and joyous they're no longer uneducated, they remain dedicated to alleviating suffering and increasing happiness of others in quiet ways outside mainstream media.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bye bye ECHR ... and how convenient that the ministerial code no longer requires compliance with international law.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:Sunday Times running with leaks of government plans re British Bill of Rights ...
The Sunday Times which is behind the paywall so that you have to wait for another paper to pick up the story before you can read it?

Wouldn't it be great if we had a government that believed in following protocol and told the Commons first instead of giving Uncle Rupe the exclusives...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Talking of educational prejudices, why are Law, Psychology, Economics, Politics, Philosophy etc good enough subjects for Oxbridge degrees, but not good enough for the Ebacc?
Some may get educated above their station. Though not everyone educated at Oxford or Cambridge is part of the Establishment, an Establishment person educated at Oxbridge delights in keeping some subjects exclusive and prevent these subjects taught to the general population. During debates or interviews, an Establishment person will condescendingly sigh with fake regret at the person disagreeing with them.

'You've not studied (choose one) Law, Psychology, Economics, Politics or Philosophy. You can't speak my language so I will stop talking, you're ignorant of what I know.'

The finest day for a member of this Establishment is the morning they find out they're wrong. All the self-loathing falls away and they know they're just as important as everyone else without having to try. Sorry for time lost in ignorance, grateful and joyous they're no longer uneducated, they remain dedicated to alleviating suffering and increasing happiness of others in quiet ways outside mainstream media.
Think that's a bit unfair. To take my subject- Classics- you can study it at Oxford without having studied any Latin and Greek at school.

Nonetheless, Gove made a song and dance about state schools not teaching Latin.