Tuesday 10th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 10th November 2015

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
I'm no statistician but...key DWP stat seems pretty elastic. Between 37% and 45%?
What's the betting that we'll hear next that it was a very selective sample from the overall data?

Selective as in "proves what Cameron said earlier"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Breaking news ticker tapey things on the G says Portugal's right government falls after anti-austerity MPs vote of no confidence succeeds.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Gwynne MP ‏@GwynneMP 5m5 minutes ago
MOVE 100,000 CIVIL SERVICE JOBS to the regions – Gwynne http://andrewgwynne.co.uk/2015/11/10/mo ... ons-gwynne" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Good proposal.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Seeingclearly, I hadn't seen it.
The Padmasambhava painting is beautiful, the depiction unlike most traditional ones.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TUC Press Office ‏@TUCnews 42m42 minutes ago
MPs just voted in their workplace to prevent other people from voting in their workplace. Huh. #TUBill
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This relates to the murk around News International and the Daniel Morgan murder:

''Former senior police officer who leaked details of unsolved murder to journalist is cleared after nearly four years in legal limbo''
http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/former-se ... early-four" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 17m17 minutes ago
NOTE - DCS Cook was arrested on the eve of being a #Leveson core participant, on info leaked by News International

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 6m6 minutes ago
I personally believe that News Int MSC deliberately silenced DCS Cook to stop him appearing at #Leveson 1/3

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 5m5 minutes ago
DCS Cook's possible #Leveson revelations about the role of NOTW and Southern Investigations much more damaging than phone hacking 2/3

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 5m5 minutes ago
3/3 Also believe #Leveson testimony of @jacquihames deliberately derailed by revelations about the police horse, seconds into her testimony
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Telegraph PoliticsVerified account ‏@TelePolitics 4m4 minutes ago
Labour MP pulls out of China trip 'because flights were economy class' http://bit.ly/1MydMmF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Torygraph tweet seems shy in telling us that it is their usual darling, Simon Danczuk, involved.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Cambridge, England — IN January, researchers at King’s College London announced that pollution levels on Oxford Street, in central London, had exceeded limits set for the entire year in just the first four days of 2015. Similarly alarming numbers have been recorded for other streets in the city — and yet the mayor, Boris Johnson, has delayed implementation of stricter air-quality measures until 2020.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/08/opini ... share&_r=0
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 1h1 hour ago
I agree with @OwenSmith_MP http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... not-be-cut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … (excepting the digs against IDS)
... I have written to Iain Duncan Smith today, calling on him to provide a public, cast-iron guarantee to the millions of working families who are worried about cuts to their incomes that no further money will be taken out of the Universal Credit budget.

The Tories think they might be able to get away with it because Universal Credit is a bit of a black box - a complicated new system that many people don’t yet fully understand. So I commissioned analysis from the House of Commons Library to model a real example of the impact further cuts would create, to give the government a much needed dose of reality.

Under current plans for Universal Credit, for every extra £1 low and some middle paid workers earn over a certain threshold they lose 65p of support from the government. If the plans that have been rumoured come to pass, the Tories would increase this "taper rate" to 75p in the pound. That equates to some low paid people effectively paying a tax rate of well over 80 per cent.

The upshot of all this is that a single parent of two children, working full time on the minimum wage, who is already set to lose more than £2,400 next year, as a result of the government’s plans, would see those losses rise to over £3,100 a year. The evidence is clear and damning, cutting Universal Credit in the way that’s been rumoured will mean huge losses for millions of working families...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Telegraph PoliticsVerified account ‏@TelePolitics 4m4 minutes ago
Labour MP pulls out of China trip 'because flights were economy class' http://bit.ly/1MydMmF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Torygraph tweet seems shy in telling us that it is their usual darling, Simon Danczuk, involved.
:lol: I've been desperately trying not to post that here cos I so hate giving that man any further oxygen. But he really is something else ...
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

JC becomes an honourable tomorrow, if i just read it right.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 5m5 minutes ago
Number 10 will cater for all different types of security: National. Economic. Personal. Financial. Cyber. Emotional?Security. Security.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Really good follow up analysis on the tax credits / UC - and other options Osborne has (but who knows if he will use) to get his 4.4bn pound of flesh.
ResolutionFoundation ‏@resfoundation 40m40 minutes ago
The impact of the Budget on household incomes http://www.resolutionfoundation.org/med ... x-credits/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Owen Smith ‏@OwenSmith_MP 9m9 minutes ago
Cutting Universal Credit no way out of tax credit mess for Tories, it rebadges the same cuts. IDS must rule it out http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... not-be-cut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
To repeat myself / Tim Montgomerie from earlier.

Good stuff from Owen Smith. Impressed by him so far.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Don't have a problem with this. China is a long way, especially in cramped economy. Plus, he would be able to work in business class+.

People I work with make regular trips to China, for business, and they always book business class.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Teresa Crawford Retweeted
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2 hrs2 hours ago

The endorsement he didn't want? French FN's Marine Le Pen: "I am so happy to see David Cameron doing in the UK what I want to do for France"
Kind of says it all doesn't it...
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

These two, Smith snd Osbourne, are playing some betting game with peoples livelihoods, it is very unprincipled to do this, mind you when did that ever stop them. (glum)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:

Don't have a problem with this. China is a long way, especially in cramped economy. Plus, he would be able to work in business class+.

People I work with make regular trips to China, for business, and they always book business class.

One Tweet I read quoted Danczuk as implying he had a medical problem which meant he couldn't do long flights...

Another Tweet said he ran a race around a week ago, and made a good time...

Whatever. Once again he is in the spotlight.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Farmers, vets and landowners fear impact of potential 30% Defra budget cuts
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Far ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The detail of how much each minister will have to save from their day to day spending comes on November 25 in the Chancellor's autumn statement

But NFU President Meurig Raymond said cuts should be made to Defra’s back office functions - not front line services. “Our priority is for farming businesses to be productive and profitable and we are concerned that cuts of up to 30 per cent could damage front line delivery services that underpin this aim,” he said.

He is seeking an urgent meeting with ministers to discuss where the axe might fall and how farmers could be hit. And he went on: “The NFU also have concerns about cost recovery – if this simply means paying for the continuation of services that could be delivered more effectively and efficiently. We believe that there is scope for some services, including some provided by agencies such as the Environment Agency, to be delivered more cost-effectively by other providers.

And vets are warning against reductions in payments for disease control – particularly with the bovine TB crisis still causing huge problems for the livestock industry...
I'm sure they are fearful ... and what a surprise that they think the Environment Agency should be scrapped ....

Oooh I could dream of voting to leave the EU just to spite these receivers of EU 'welfare'. (But in reality I couldn't base my vote just on that sentiment).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

seeingclearly wrote:These two, Smith snd Osbourne, are playing some betting game with peoples livelihoods, it is very unprincipled to do this, mind you when did that ever stop them. (glum)
I'm hoping you mean Ian Duncan Smith - and not Owen Smith who I think is doing exactly as he should in pointing out how hard the poorest will be hit by both tax credit cuts and / or UC cuts.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Odd.

Some people's idea about what constitutes a "policy paper" and mine clearly differ. This appears to be a few random facts without any reference to any particular policies.

Teaching improvement since the 2009 to 2010 academic year

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... demic-year

Policy paper
Evidence of improvement in the teaching profession

What policies what those be exactly?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Far ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The detail of how much each minister will have to save from their day to day spending comes on November 25 in the Chancellor's autumn statement

But NFU President Meurig Raymond said cuts should be made to Defra’s back office functions - not front line services. “Our priority is for farming businesses to be productive and profitable and we are concerned that cuts of up to 30 per cent could damage front line delivery services that underpin this aim,” he said.

He is seeking an urgent meeting with ministers to discuss where the axe might fall and how farmers could be hit. And he went on: “The NFU also have concerns about cost recovery – if this simply means paying for the continuation of services that could be delivered more effectively and efficiently. We believe that there is scope for some services, including some provided by agencies such as the Environment Agency, to be delivered more cost-effectively by other providers.

And vets are warning against reductions in payments for disease control – particularly with the bovine TB crisis still causing huge problems for the livestock industry...
I'm sure they are fearful ... and what a surprise that they think the Environment Agency should be scrapped ....

Oooh I could dream of voting to leave the EU just to spite these receivers of EU 'welfare'. (But in reality I couldn't base my vote just on that sentiment).
You don't think they'd get an extremely good deal out of the UK Government?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Campaigners call for land reform as Scottish farmer faces eviction
Andrew Stoddart and his family must leave farm they have tended for 22 years by end of the month, with minimal compensation

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... and-reform" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And then there's this. Completely wrong.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

You don't think they'd get an extremely good deal out of the UK Government?
I don't know what they'd get from this government Tubby. But 30% cuts to Defra - and an EU exit - would make a huge hole for whichever government crony to fill - on top of the rock bottom commodity prices.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK 4 mins4 minutes ago

Having Corbyn round to join the Privy Council later. Kneeling is the least of his worries; the initiation ceremony would make a ninja weep.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Graham Allen MP ‏@GrahamAllenMP 6m6 minutes ago
Tories have just pushed Anti Trades Union bill through Parliament against Labour opposition
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I don't know what they'd get from this government Tubby. But 30% cuts to Defra - and an EU exit - would make a huge hole for whichever government crony to fill - on top of the rock bottom commodity prices.
Farmers do well for subsidies everywhere but New Zealand.

The EU payments would go down if we were no longer a member, because the EU pays the CAP. The UK would get that money to pay direct to farmers.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Farmers do well for subsidies everywhere but New Zealand.

The EU payments would go down if we were no longer a member, because the EU pays the CAP. The UK would get that money to pay direct to farmers.
Yes, I understood the equation you were referring to ... but I still don't want to guess at what farmers (perhaps we should say 'landowners' here) would get in that situation. There are farmers ... and then there are 'farmers'. More worrying might be the impact of certain EU regulations and programmes such as TB eradication ... I wouldn't like to hazard a guess as to where this particular govt and the NFU / Countryside Alliance might go with that and what that might ultimately cost - in every sense.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

But if we aren't paying for the CAP and getting lots of money back to pay farmers, there isn't that much of a hole.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not seen anyone in the mainstream media point out the nonsense of Cameron wanting "national parliaments" to block stuff, but also "more competitiveness" across the EU.

The EU works by funny compromises and fudges, but these are supposed to be starting principles. Shouldn't someone point out the contradictions?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Cameron reported to statistics watchdog over questionable EU migrant benefit statistics
Statisticians have questioned the validity of the figures

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 28646.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But various members of HM Government have been reported to the statistics watchdog at various times for questionable figures, and nothing ever happens.
Valuable evidence and documentation for the misconduct in public office trials.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Graham Allen MP ‏@GrahamAllenMP 6m6 minutes ago
Tories have just pushed Anti Trades Union bill through Parliament against Labour opposition
God damn it to hell.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I'm shocked, shocked that yet another Policy Exchange bod ends up at the DfE...

:roll:

And where was she before?

ARK.

And who's the lead sponsor?

Paul Marshall who also sits on the DfE board.

Small world eh?

Trouble with this is that there isn't anyone with contrary views to say "Wait. These two policies contradict each other" - all they get are people with the same views on everything.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Not seen anyone in the mainstream media point out the nonsense of Cameron wanting "national parliaments" to block stuff, but also "more competitiveness" across the EU.

The EU works by funny compromises and fudges, but these are supposed to be starting principles. Shouldn't someone point out the contradictions?
He still wouldn't understand if you couched them in terms suitable for a five year old...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
refitman wrote:

One Tweet I read quoted Danczuk as implying he had a medical problem which meant he couldn't do long flights...

Another Tweet said he ran a race around a week ago, and made a good time...

Whatever. Once again he is in the spotlight.
Both are possible, I work with a marathon runner who suffers if he has to sit in cramped positions for a long period. Danczuk could do with losing a few pounds and he isn't young. Perfectly reasonable to drop a trip to China because it is a stupid distance in economy.

I don't fly that far scum class and I quietly ditch any meetings that require me to go there.

However you do have to ask what the point is of sending MPs on long distance international trips. There has always been an amount of lobbying, including such boondoggles.

I suspect there is an all party Hawaii grouping who would clearly need an annual fact finding visit.

To be fair in industry I have twice vetoed proposed meetings in Hawaii and American companies are so sick of it as a venue they increasingly reject travel requests on principle, so it isn't just MPs.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Where's Sir Robin Butler? Surely he's worried about the takeover of government by Policy Exchange?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Where's Sir Robin Butler? Surely he's worried about the takeover of government by Policy Exchange?
Or the people who witter on about Common Purpose...

That PX document I found the other day...

and then...

All the usual NSN suspects...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Thinking about it, I wonder if I ought to do a piece on the revolving door between PX/NSN/DfE/No 10 etc.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good ICM poll on EU membership.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9542" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

46-38 remain.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lucy Powell's article below is good.
The Tories’ assault on further education will cost Britain dearly
Colleges have been battered by cuts already – another round could destroy them. It is time we made David Cameron talk about it

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... t-63116690
Some of the comments below the line were worthwhile reading, other posts abusive, nothing more.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Airpocalypse now: China pollution reaching record levels
In some areas level of harmful particles in the air were 56 times the levels considered safe by the World Health Organisation

Residents of north-eastern China donned gas masks and locked themselves indoors on Sunday after their homes were enveloped by some of the worst levels of smog on record. Levels of PM2.5, a tiny airborne particulate linked to cancer and heart disease, soared in Liaoning province as northern China began burning coal to heat homes at the start of the winter.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/n ... ord-levels
Respiratory wards were full of people with breathing difficulty.
Too much sorrow.
We can do better than this.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

My tax credits are a lifeline. Osborne is wrong to slash them
Gordon Brown
Instead of escaping poverty, millions of working parents and their children will struggle – even if the minimum wage is raised
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... s-children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And it's good.
... Some argue that personal tax allowances, a citizen’s income and a negative income tax offer better solutions. But if it is family poverty we want to relieve, nothing is as targeted or cost effective as tax credits.

And there’s another fiction here. Tax credits did not cost £1.5bn in their first full year of operation, as the chancellor claimed, but £10.5bn at today’s prices. And they successively absorbed existing benefits – from family credit to the child payments in jobseeker’s allowance.

It was because child, work and pension tax credits rose that 2 million children and 2 million pensioners escaped poverty – and because they were cost-effective: the biggest increases in social spending from 1999 were not on tax credits but on the NHS (up £65bn), followed by pensions (up £35bn). What’s more, tax credits helped workers stay in jobs when forced on to fewer hours during the recession; and they ensured that while income inequality rose almost everywhere, including Scandinavia, our redistributive taxes stemmed the tide.

So by hitting tax credit twice over – by cutting the income threshold, and changing the “tapers” to weaken work incentives – Conservative ministers are doing the opposite of what they should be doing. Their analysis – that the problem is worklessness – is wrong; their assumptions – that the poor are feckless – are wrong. And their prescription – that incentives to work should be cut – is wrong...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Amber Rudd has admitted the UK does not have the right policies in place to meet its EU target of sourcing 15% of energy from renewable sources by 2020, and challenged transport secretary Patrick McLoughlin to help make up the shortfall.

...making up the shortfall by increasing the amount of renewable electricity from sources such as windfarms, which the Tory party has hit with subsidy cuts, was not an option, she said. “I think it would be a mistake to abandon heat and transport, they need to make their contribution on the renewable targets.”

Buying renewable energy from other European countries was on the table as an option, she said, but would not be desirable. “The desirable option is to deliver it ourselves,” she said, while declining to name which countries the UK would consider buying green energy from. She also rejected claims that the government’s subsidy cuts to renewable electricity over the summer had harmed the UK’s ability to meet the EU target.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... les-target
I don't understand this person or the Tory government she's part of. If renewable energy projects are stopped and fossil fuel projects encouraged, meeting international obligations aren't possible. Tory government violate their own voluntarily agreed upon obligations.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:Thinking about it, I wonder if I ought to do a piece on the revolving door between PX/NSN/DfE/No 10 etc.
Yes it would be very interesting, but you would need to get it fact checked very carefully.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"The truth is that there is not one class of taxpayers and a separate underclass of dependants. Over its life cycle almost every family benefits from a welfare state whose main spending is on health, education and pensions."

- Gordon Brown
November 2015
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Thinking about it, I wonder if I ought to do a piece on the revolving door between PX/NSN/DfE/No 10 etc.
Yes it would be very interesting, but you would need to get it fact checked very carefully.
Oh don't worry, I'm very careful with sources...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RogerOThornhill wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Oh don't worry, I'm very careful with sources...
Quite, it doesn't do to confuse the red source, the brown source and the mustard.

Plus one has to be careful with the salt..... :line:
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Just caught the anniversary - forty years ago today. All twenty nine hands lost.

[youtube]hgI8bta-7aw[/youtube]

Edited to add - if you're not familiar with the story, it's well told here, mainly by way of a modern folk classic by Gordon Lightfoot.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Wed 11 Nov, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.