Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Re: Saturday 21st & Sunday 22nd November 2015

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TobyLatimer wrote:Just after the defeat in May's general election John Curtice was saying that we need a 12.5% lead in 2020 just to get a majority, the Comres poll currently puts Lab 15 points behind. That's a lot of catching up, it's not going to happen. It's all so terribly depressing and frustrating , I don't know how they are going to turn this around even if somehow Mann Danczuk and the rest of the clique got their way and JC was removed. http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... e-politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think an electable leader (Corbyn isn't despite what 1 poll says) might well be able to beat the Tory party in 2020.

Cuts, NHS, pensions, Europe splits, general incompetence and sleaze could easily sink the Tory party.

I doubt the SNP will still be walking on Scottish water by 2020.

Jarvis versus Boris would at least be an interesting dynamic.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Government could press 'emergency button' to delay pensions for millions
Nannies, gardeners and staff at small firms may not get workplace savings schemes until 2020

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... lions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The Daily Telegraph has learnt that plans to ensure every worker is enrolled into a workplace pension could be put on hold, amid fears the policy will cause chaos for smaller employers.
Under the rules, even those employ just one member of staff, such as gardener or full-time nanny, will within three years have to start paying into a workplace pension for the employee.
An official report by the National Audit Office has revealed that the Government has drafted plans for an "emergency pause" to these requirements. Ministers will use the facility if so-called "auto-enrolment" proves too onerous on small firms as they grapple with a rise in the minimum wage. The Government is also concerned that pension providers will struggle to cope as five million people are enrolled into new schemes and cyber criminals try to hack their data...
How many of these 'pauses', delays, U turns will there be? Rail upgrades, increased childcare, cap on care costs, now potentially workplace pensions exemptions. Of course the one big U turn we want is on tax credit cuts. Let's see what Osborne tries to do to get himself out of that one.

He suddenly won't need such a big surplus according to one report. In the week that his borrowing figures went skidding off the predicted graph .... he looks stupid to be aiming for a surplus at all by then.

It is interesting how he keeps getting away with telling us everything is going swimmingly under his management ... and in the next breath we've all got to suck our waists in even more because it's all so dodgy and more pain is required.
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nannies, gardeners and staff at small firms may not get workplace savings schemes until 2020

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... lions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The Daily Telegraph has learnt that plans to ensure every worker is enrolled into a workplace pension could be put on hold, amid fears the policy will cause chaos for smaller employers.
Under the rules, even those employ just one member of staff, such as gardener or full-time nanny, will within three years have to start paying into a workplace pension for the employee.
An official report by the National Audit Office has revealed that the Government has drafted plans for an "emergency pause" to these requirements. Ministers will use the facility if so-called "auto-enrolment" proves too onerous on small firms as they grapple with a rise in the minimum wage. The Government is also concerned that pension providers will struggle to cope as five million people are enrolled into new schemes and cyber criminals try to hack their data...
How many of these 'pauses', delays, U turns will there be? Rail upgrades, increased childcare, cap on care costs, now potentially workplace pensions exemptions. Of course the one big U turn we want is on tax credit cuts. Let's see what Osborne tries to do to get himself out of that one.

He suddenly won't need such a big surplus according to one report. In the week that his borrowing figures went skidding off the predicted graph .... he looks stupid to be aiming for a surplus at all by then.

It is interesting how he keeps getting away with telling us everything is going swimmingly under his management ... and in the next breath we've all got to suck our waists in even more because it's all so dodgy and more pain is required.
I think on pensions the wheels are going to come off. I realise that the NHS wheels have been off for a while, but very soon 1 million Tory pensioners are going to realise they are seriously out of pocket.

That is going to hurt. Which comes back to finding an acceptable alternative to the Tories. If Labour had one Dave would be panicking about now.
Release the Guardvarks.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

I hope IDS can get a refund on the £8.5 million he spent on Workie
Workie-20151028023219639.jpg
Workie-20151028023219639.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 7599 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

He suddenly won't need such a big surplus according to one report.
He's aiming for £10bn. He seemed to suggest before that he wouldn't row too far back from that.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Osbourne pays out for 138 Stealth Bombers to put us on a war footing. Cost, £12 billion.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 636215.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just spent a few hours clearing out some old paper files.
A lot of it was related to a project I embarked on over ten years ago, when my brain still worked.

Reading through things to decide what to chuck in the bin, I came across some research I'd made into the 'strategy of tension' as some call it, during that awful time in recent Italian history.

I won't go into the details of the Bologna and other terrorist crimes, as most will I'm sure know what was behind it and why.
But there's an interesting postscript in one of the files, taken from the Guardian in 2001:

''In March 2001 General Maletti, commander of the counter intelligence section of Italy's miltary intelligence, claimed at a trial of various fascists for one of the 1969 bombings, that ''The CIA, following the directives of its government, wanted to create an Italian nationalism capable of halting what it saw as a slide to the left and, for this purpose it may have made use of right wing terrorism. I believe this is what happened in other countries as well'.

From the past maybe, but a timely reminder that America's hands have not always been clean, and also a warning about just how far some right wing governments will go to help maintain the power and privilege of the wealthy. And that terrorism sometimes has its uses for governments

It just jarred for me as we are hearing so much about the need to fight terrorism, particularly from the US. The word hypocrisy comes to mind.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Nannies, eh? Bit of a cock-up on the expensive TV advertising front, then.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TobyLatimer

Whoops!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Nestle CEO: Water Is Not A Human Right, Should Be Privatized

http://collectivelyconscious.net/articl ... ross-post1
Posted over a year ago, I must have missed it...Just makes me more determined not to buy any of their products if I can help it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Have just spent a few hours clearing out some old paper files.
A lot of it was related to a project I embarked on over ten years ago, when my brain still worked.

Reading through things to decide what to chuck in the bin, I came across some research I'd made into the 'strategy of tension' as some call it, during that awful time in recent Italian history.

I won't go into the details of the Bologna and other terrorist crimes, as most will I'm sure know what was behind it and why.
But there's an interesting postscript in one of the files, taken from the Guardian in 2001:

''In March 2001 General Maletti, commander of the counter intelligence section of Italy's miltary intelligence, claimed at a trial of various fascists for one of the 1969 bombings, that ''The CIA, following the directives of its government, wanted to create an Italian nationalism capable of halting what it saw as a slide to the left and, for this purpose it may have made use of right wing terrorism. I believe this is what happened in other countries as well'.

From the past maybe, but a timely reminder that America's hands have not always been clean, and also a warning about just how far some right wing governments will go to help maintain the power and privilege of the wealthy. And that terrorism sometimes has its uses for governments

It just jarred for me as we are hearing so much about the need to fight terrorism, particularly from the US. The word hypocrisy comes to mind.
If there's a pie anywhere in the world, you can bet the CIA has its sticky fingers in it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
Nestle CEO: Water Is Not A Human Right, Should Be Privatized

http://collectivelyconscious.net/articl ... ross-post1
Posted over a year ago, I must have missed it...Just makes me more determined not to buy any of their products if I can help it.
I've avoided Nestle, where I can, since I learnt of their methods regarding baby formula:

http://www.theguardian.com/sustainable- ... -standards" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.infactcanada.ca/nestle_boyco ... uct.htm#UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A handy list of Nestle products to boycott...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Joseph Rowntree Fdn. ‏@jrf_uk 7h7 hours ago
The definitive picture of #UKpoverty http://bit.ly/1Lo2yvP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Report launches tomorrow. Updates via #mpseuk15
Just before Osborne's slash fest. Good timing.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

New restrictions imposed on farmers over cattle movement
http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/201 ... -movement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A West Country farming leader claims that cattle producers will go out of business because of a new policy from two major supermarkets. The new rules put restrictions on how many times cattle can be moved - and farmers claim they haven't been consulted.

... because of a change in policy of two of the major supermarkets, farmers will be docked £50 per head for cows that have been moved more than four times.

Cattle move for a number of reasons. They are often sold at a cattle market to a calf rearer, who will then sell them on to another farmer who will grow them on on grass, before they go to their final home to be readied for slaughter.
"There is a chain that animals go through and usually it's about 3 movements but sometimes it can be 4 and that is our problem in that they're now trying to impose these rules on us with no actual method of policing it. And it's caused everyone; the auctioneers, the producers, the abattoirs another range of problems."

– BILL HARPER CHAIR, NATIONAL BEEF ASSOCIATION, SOUTH WEST
The worry is that the new rule will mean farmers who're already struggling will throw their hand in...
But it sounds as though it will be better for cattle ... and it will be better for disease control. Everyone I've ever met or heard speak whose opinion and expertise I respect says that cattle movements are the main driver of bovineTB spread.

The report goes on to say other supermarkets are about to follow suit. I hope they do.

It comes as this stupid government have just relaxed some of the movement restrictions they brought in as part of their so called comprehensive TB eradication strategy - because of pressure from farmers.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

CSM has been reading Anatoly's post on Brecht by the look of it
ScreenShot01086.jpg
ScreenShot01086.jpg (108.06 KiB) Viewed 7520 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Corbyn ahead of David Cameron in latest leadership ratings

41 per cent of respondents saying they would vote Conservative if there was a General Election tomorrow and just 34 per cent for Labour.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 40611.html
Bit of difference to the poll that was doing the rounds on Twitter a couple of days ago...

Who to believe?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
Jeremy Corbyn ahead of David Cameron in latest leadership ratings

41 per cent of respondents saying they would vote Conservative if there was a General Election tomorrow and just 34 per cent for Labour.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 40611.html
Bit of difference to the poll that was doing the rounds on Twitter a couple of days ago...

Who to believe?
And immediately found this Tweet.

Liam Young ‏@liamyoung 40 mins40 minutes ago
Why have I not seen anything about IPSOS/Mori poll putting Labour up 5 points since the election?
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/201 ... -movement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A West Country farming leader claims that cattle producers will go out of business because of a new policy from two major supermarkets. The new rules put restrictions on how many times cattle can be moved - and farmers claim they haven't been consulted.

... because of a change in policy of two of the major supermarkets, farmers will be docked £50 per head for cows that have been moved more than four times.

Cattle move for a number of reasons. They are often sold at a cattle market to a calf rearer, who will then sell them on to another farmer who will grow them on on grass, before they go to their final home to be readied for slaughter.
"There is a chain that animals go through and usually it's about 3 movements but sometimes it can be 4 and that is our problem in that they're now trying to impose these rules on us with no actual method of policing it. And it's caused everyone; the auctioneers, the producers, the abattoirs another range of problems."

The worry is that the new rule will mean farmers who're already struggling will throw their hand in...
But it sounds as though it will be better for cattle ... and it will be better for disease control. Everyone I've ever met or heard speak whose opinion and expertise I respect says that cattle movements are the main driver of bovineTB spread.

The report goes on to say other supermarkets are about to follow suit. I hope they do.

It comes as this stupid government have just relaxed some of the movement restrictions they brought in as part of their so called comprehensive TB eradication strategy - because of pressure from farmers.
I haven't clicked on the link yet, but if the "West Country farming leader" isn't Richard bloody Haddock I'd be very surprised. A whinger supreme, who was fingered as one of the six ring-leaders of the fuel protests back in the day, and who declared his farm on the South Devon coast a bio-hazard area, put wheel dips on the road, had his cattle slaughtered at a young age and received full "market value" for a mature beast, saving all that tiresome feed costs, vet costs, labour costs &tc, oh, and that even more tiresome "working for a living" stuff.

Oh, and the auctioneers assessing the values of the cattle killed were apparently paid a percentage of the values they assigned to the herd. Could be wrong, but that's what I understand.

Edited to say that the nearest case of foot and mouth was on the edge of Dartmoor - bloody miles away and in no danger of reaching his herd. Google the guy, quite the charmer.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Sun 22 Nov, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

There's been a bit of back and forth between ms Birbalsingh (a first time HT of one year) and Sean Harford (Ofsted national Director of Education) about Ofsted and whether it should be abolished in favour of parents holding schools to account. Not quite sure how they'd do that but anyway...

Take a look at this...and the final comment.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kathrine Birbalsingh
‏@Miss_Snuffy
@HarfordSean @mfordhamhistory No I am not. I am saying the people are wrong now. One day, we will look back and realise.
:lol:

And you've been a HT for how long? Just over a year. And not had your school inspected yet.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hobiejoe wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

I haven't clicked on the link yet, but if the "West Country farming leader" isn't Richard bloody Haddock I'd be very surprised. A whinger supreme, who was fingered as one of the six ring-leaders of the fuel protests back in the day, and who declared his farm on the South Devon coast a bio-hazard area, put wheel dips on the road, had his cattle slaughtered at a young age and received full "market value" for a mature beast, saving all that tiresome feed costs, vet costs, labour costs &tc, oh, and that even more tiresome "working for a living" stuff.

Oh, and the auctioneers assessing the values of the cattle killed were apparently paid a percentage of the values they assigned to the herd. Could be wrong, but that's what I understand.

Edited to say that the nearest case of foot and mouth was on the edge of Dartmoor - bloody miles away and in no danger of reaching his herd. Google the guy, quite the charmer.
I think it's Bill Harper this time around - but I certainly know of Richard Haddock (he must be a favourite of our Fishpointer General). He pops up regularly in the bovine TB and badgers ongoing battlefront. The entire auctioneers, vets, screening / testing, transport and abbattoir cycle takes money out at every opportunity.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

She's getting her excuses in for a bad Ofsted. They don't like me because I stand up to them.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:She's getting her excuses in for a bad Ofsted. They don't like me because I stand up to them.
Maybe but don't forget that the rules have changed and she's not likely to get an inspection for at least another year.

Rules for new schools used to be in the 4th-6th term but now it's been delayed by a year. I doubt we'll see any inspection results for free schools opened in 2014 until next Sept at at the earliest and July 2017 at the latest.

You can imagine Harford thinking "I wonder whether I should do a s.8 inspection on some dodgy pretext..."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:There's been a bit of back and forth between ms Birbalsingh (a first time HT of one year) and Sean Harford (Ofsted national Director of Education) about Ofsted and whether it should be abolished in favour of parents holding schools to account. Not quite sure how they'd do that but anyway...

Kathrine Birbalsingh
‏@Miss_Snuffy
@HarfordSean @mfordhamhistory No I am not. I am saying the people are wrong now. One day, we will look back and realise.

And you've been a HT for how long? Just over a year. And not had your school inspected yet.
Ooh dear - sounds as though she's got an attack of the 'wrong kind of .... syndrome' - can attack any group of people that get in the way of certain ideologies or ambitions - parents, voters, patients, members.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Woolly Jumpers for Rescued Chickens.jpg
Woolly Jumpers for Rescued Chickens.jpg (81.93 KiB) Viewed 7459 times
Even more delightful - this story is in the 'Fashion' section of The Scotsman. A sub / content manager with a fine sense of humour.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is one of Birbalsingh's teachers - and the one who was for the motion of abolishing Ofsted. Love the final reply from the Ofsted HMI...he's not quite sure what went on there.

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:There's been a bit of back and forth between ms Birbalsingh (a first time HT of one year) and Sean Harford (Ofsted national Director of Education) about Ofsted and whether it should be abolished in favour of parents holding schools to account. Not quite sure how they'd do that but anyway...

Kathrine Birbalsingh
‏@Miss_Snuffy

Have you noticed her user name?
Miss_Snuffy? I thought the Barclays ads telling teenagers to use sensible names on their Twitter accounts was good advice. She obviously doesn't watch the telly...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote: Have you noticed her user name?
Miss_Snuffy? I thought the Barclays ads telling teenagers to use sensible names on their Twitter accounts was good advice. She obviously doesn't watch the telly...
Oh, that comes from the anonymous blog she wrote which she later turned into her book.

I was reading the interview she did back in 2012 after she'd left/been fired (delete as applicable).

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... nservative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First, then, to the book. Presented as a factual diary, the blurb on the cover reads: "One inspirational teacher. One extraordinary year. Hope and heartbreak on the front lines of an inner-city school." But it isn't actually anything of the sort; both the school and all the characters are fictional composites made up by Birbalsingh, based on her and her friends' experience of teaching in a number of different London schools throughout her 12-year career. The reason is perfectly legitimate – "Legally I can't write about real people, cos Penguin would get sued" – but she seems surprisingly relaxed about presenting the book as a political manifesto, when it is not technically true.

"Well these could easily be real people," she offers airily, but the dialogue consistently lacks the ring of truth, and many of the exchanges seem to serve no other purpose than to make the author look good. Though single in real life, she invents a husband in the book, who tells us more than once how "hot" she used to look in shorts as a student at Oxford. More troublingly, too many of her accounts of conversations with the teenage boys she teaches revolve chiefly around their excitement at how "cool" or "hard" or "glamorous" she is.
That's just a little weird...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I need a new mouse...this one is double-clicking when it feels like it. The number of times I have to edit because it's double-quoted or double-bolded...not to mention how many times it's closed applications when I simply want to open a file.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Softening of tax credit blow to be funded by housing benefit cuts
The compromise over George Osborne’s controversial measure will hit many of the same people already losing their tax credits

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... nefit-cuts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He's determined to bash those working poor isn't he. The biggest rise in claims for housing benefit has been from those in work ... and the biggest increase in poverty has been in working households.

Expect more use of food banks, more people living in absolute penury scared / unable to heat homes, - and expect more evictions and homelessness.

And I don't mean to ignore the impact that this measure will have on those non working households ... it will be misery all round. I wonder whether we will now see Heidi Allen and Stephen McPartland coming out and saying how wonderful this new punishment for the poor is. Or will they have listened to their constituents sufficiently to know the kind of hardship this new measure will bring. It certainly won't 'soften' tax credit cuts.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin 3 hrs3 hours ago

I keep reading about people leaving the Labour Party that I genuinely had no idea were in the Labour Party in the 1st place. Most perplexing
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Here's the link to the HB statistics.

If you download it, Table 9a is the most interesting.

Of the 4.791m claimants, 1.271m are 65 and over - nearly 27%.

Then look at the under 25 - 5.7%

HB cuts aren't going to go down well...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Here's the link to the HB statistics.

Where's the link, Roger?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ICM:
CON 39
LAB 33
UKIP 12
LD 7
G 3

IpsosMORI:
CON 41
LAB 34
LD 7
UKIP 7
G 4

ComRes:
CON 42
LAB 27
UKIP 15
LD 7
G 3

BMG:
C 37
L 30
UKIP 14
LD 4
G 3
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I need a new mouse...this one is double-clicking when it feels like it. The number of times I have to edit because it's double-quoted or double-bolded...not to mention how many times it's closed applications when I simply want to open a file.
I found them in Poundland ... Work fine.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Have you noticed her user name?
Oh, that comes from the anonymous blog she wrote which she later turned into her book.

I was reading the interview she did back in 2012 after she'd left/been fired (delete as applicable).

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... nservative" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
First, then, to the book. Presented as a factual diary, the blurb on the cover reads: "One inspirational teacher. One extraordinary year. Hope and heartbreak on the front lines of an inner-city school." But it isn't actually anything of the sort; both the school and all the characters are fictional composites made up by Birbalsingh, based on her and her friends' experience of teaching in a number of different London schools throughout her 12-year career. The reason is perfectly legitimate – "Legally I can't write about real people, cos Penguin would get sued" – but she seems surprisingly relaxed about presenting the book as a political manifesto, when it is not technically true.

"Well these could easily be real people," she offers airily, but the dialogue consistently lacks the ring of truth, and many of the exchanges seem to serve no other purpose than to make the author look good. Though single in real life, she invents a husband in the book, who tells us more than once how "hot" she used to look in shorts as a student at Oxford. More troublingly, too many of her accounts of conversations with the teenage boys she teaches revolve chiefly around their excitement at how "cool" or "hard" or "glamorous" she is.
That's just a little weird...
Or 'Pervy' as Mr Ohso would say.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Even more delightful - this story is in the 'Fashion' section of The Scotsman. A sub / content manager with a fine sense of humour.
Look at the state of the one on the right... :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Emily ‏@emeliobedelio 6h6 hours ago
As if the badgers in Somerset didn't have enough to cope with @SomersetWT appoints 2 pro #badger cull and fox hunting Vice Presidents. Shame

Emily ‏@emeliobedelio 6h6 hours ago
Emily Retweeted Som Wildlife Trust
Terrible decision by Somerset Wildlife Trust #stopthecull

Som Wildlife Trust
‏@SomersetWT
We’re delighted to announce Glastonbury Festival organiser Michael Eavis CBE and Taunton Deane MP Rebecca Pow as our new Vice Presidents 1/2
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Look at the state of the one on the right... :D
:lol: I think they're all a bit out there in their own feathery way.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:This is one of Birbalsingh's teachers - and the one who was for the motion of abolishing Ofsted. Love the final reply from the Ofsted HMI...he's not quite sure what went on there.
Another of those interesting CVs.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/katie-ashford-10135728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How much time teaching in a school is there?

Not very much- she's trying to pass off the MA and PGCE as being a teacher.

Don't you either need a lot of experience or specialized qualification to be "director of inclusion"?

She's one of the in-crowd. Recruited from ARK... where she was designing a curriculum.

She's 28 or 29, and for 6 years she's been studying (non relevant).
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha. She's spent a lot of time around universities. How does that fit with what her Gove-ite mates think?
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sun 22 Nov, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Housing association beats Bedroom Tax by knocking through WALLS
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ho ... ax-6878308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A housing group has hit on a novel way to beat the Bedroom Tax - knocking down walls to provide smaller homes.

Liverpool's Cobalt Housing say that, since the charge was introduced, demand for many of their houses has dropped.

As 70% of their 6,000 properties are three-bedrooms, they are now converting these to two-bedroom houses to fill empty properties.

Managing director, Alan Rogers, told the Liverpool Echo they were struggling as people couldn’t afford houses or didn’t qualify, as children under 10 were expected to share rooms.

He said: “Empty properties in the area present a problem for us as they are open to vandalism and they quickly become uncared for and derelict.

"If people saw loads of ‘tinned-up’ properties, they wouldn’t buy and we don’t get income from empty properties.”
What a stupid, stupid destructive policy the Bedroom Tax is.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Here's the link to the HB statistics.

Where's the link, Roger?
Oops. Sorry!

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... statistics
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Housing association beats Bedroom Tax by knocking through WALLS
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ho ... ax-6878308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A housing group has hit on a novel way to beat the Bedroom Tax - knocking down walls to provide smaller homes.

Liverpool's Cobalt Housing say that, since the charge was introduced, demand for many of their houses has dropped.

As 70% of their 6,000 properties are three-bedrooms, they are now converting these to two-bedroom houses to fill empty properties.

Managing director, Alan Rogers, told the Liverpool Echo they were struggling as people couldn’t afford houses or didn’t qualify, as children under 10 were expected to share rooms.

He said: “Empty properties in the area present a problem for us as they are open to vandalism and they quickly become uncared for and derelict.

"If people saw loads of ‘tinned-up’ properties, they wouldn’t buy and we don’t get income from empty properties.”
What a stupid, stupid destructive policy the Bedroom Tax is.
Yes. Even more destructive is taking disabled people out of their 'overoccupied' specially adapted homes and putting them into smaller places that still need adapting, and compounding the stupidity by stripping out the adaptions in the home deemed too large.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:What do you think of this Guardian headline Por Favor ?

''Tory minister expensed room at members' club where he met mistress''
Well, they could have gone the whole hog and said, "Tory minister expensed room at members' club where he mistressed"

I suppose I must be thankful for small mercies.

The whole hog, PorFavor? I didn't think this was about Cameron.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.