Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 28th & Sunday 29th November 2015

Post by Willow904 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Willow904 wrote:This is Cameron's war, Corbyn can't hope to stop it however right he may be in his wish to do so.
Ed did. Corbyn's USP is that he is his own man, not a 'professional' politician, that was what endeared him to the people who overwhelmingly voted for him as Leader; but there are times where you have to compromise, where you have to be able to play the realpolitik games to stop some of Cameron's more outrageous idiocies, and it is questionable whether Jezza is capable of doing that without alienating those who voted for him ...... actually, whether he is capable of doing that full stop.
When Ed stopped Cameron, it was Cameron's idea. The US hadn't asked us to bomb Syria, let alone the French. There was a bigger government rebellion on the cards also. I guess what I'm saying is that I admire Corbyn's principles in this, I understand his desire to stop this bombing campaign, it's wrong and will be a disaster, but I don't think it's worth risking the Labour party over it as there's less chance to stop it this time, in which case maintaining party unity should have been the top priority. If he met with his shadow cabinet and suggested a free vote, would there have been dissent and briefing to the press? What did he say or do that has created this disunity that is damaging the party? I can't understand what's gone wrong, that this has become about Labour, not the government's poor decision to go to war on a widely panned weak argument. This is why I've lost faith in Corbyn, a little. If John McDonnell could see a free vote as the best option early on, why hasn't that already been agreed and the focus thrown back on Cameron's weak case?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
refitman wrote:Out of interest, when was Corbyn meant to gain the "moderates" trust? Was is when they were talking about a coup before he'd even been elected? Was it when they refused the offer of Shadow posts and then moaned about not being in positions of power? Was it when they complained about Corbyn making Labour unelectable, but then started talking about throwing the London Mayor bid? Or the Oldham by-election? Has it been when the likes of Danczuk has spent every week dripping bile from Dacre and Murdoch pages?
I see this as a separate and more serious issue. The collapse in trust and communication that is happening now is between Corbyn and his shadow cabinet, the MPs who were willing to give him a chance. Not the plotting Blairite backbenchers, who don't matter, as such, because they are backbenchers and if they rebel won't be seen as challenge to Corbyn's authority. Given the weakness of Cameron's case to bomb, how is it Corbyn can't convince his team to take a position to insist on a proper plan before supporting bombing? Is it because Corbyn has been saying he won't support bombing under any circumstances? I could see how such inflexibility could cause problems. I'm also concerned that Diane Abbott seems to have been making such a case on tv, on behalf of who exactly? Herself, Corbyn, Labour? Hilary Benn should be the first person Corbyn should be sharing his thinking with and should be responsible for talking to the media on the issue.

John McDonnell appears to have now made an appearance on tv, which I'm about to go read now. Someone needs to get a grip. Let's hope he has something useful to contribute.

Sadly the Labour rebels are using Syria as part of their agenda, and I think it's disgusting. If they force a leadership election then I'm off. And it's not flouncing. I refuse to give their disgraceful behaviour legitimacy, and have no other effective way of showing my displeasure.
And from what I've read on Twitter there are an awful lot of people that are going to do the same.
France has specifically asked the UK to back them in this. Some Labour MPs may genuinely feel doing so is the right thing to do, rather than just an excuse to attack Corbyn. And these aren't rebels. These are MPs who accepted the members vote and accepted a place in Corbyn's cabinet in a genuine attempt to respect the democracy within the party. These are shadow cabinet members who have expressed a desire for Cameron to present a follow up plan and other doubts about the action. If Corbyn can't reach out to them and come to some kind of cabinet consensus, his leadership can't work. Anyway, a free vote appears to be on the cards. The situation may still be resolved.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Actually I think myself that "je suis Paris" is one of the best arguments for our getting involved militarily. Solidarity is important, but it has to be weighed against other things.

And I have no doubt that some Labour MPs who back action do so totally sincerely. I think that JC fully accepts that too.

But not everybody, however. People briefing hacks that they intend to vote with Cameron "to spite Corbyn" are completely out of order, I hope everybody here can agree.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
refitman wrote:Out of interest, when was Corbyn meant to gain the "moderates" trust? Was is when they were talking about a coup before he'd even been elected? Was it when they refused the offer of Shadow posts and then moaned about not being in positions of power? Was it when they complained about Corbyn making Labour unelectable, but then started talking about throwing the London Mayor bid? Or the Oldham by-election? Has it been when the likes of Danczuk has spent every week dripping bile from Dacre and Murdoch pages?
Since when was Danczuk moderate? Have to admit I've been getting a touch twitchy of late about the use of the word "moderate" (the inverted commas being germane) almost as a term of abuse, lumping in everybody from Kippers (in all but name) like Danczuk to supporters of genuine moderates like Creasy, Burnham et al; it is akin to the way some threw around the label "Red Tories", as a pejorative label for all Labour supporters, in the run up to GE.

"Moderate", "Red Tory", "Corbynite" ....... are these labels really helping, as we try to find a way for the different wings of the Labour Party 'broad church' to work more harmoniously?
The problem with 'moderate' is that this is the term the media is using to refer to the right of the Labour party, which includes figures like Danczuk and Milburn as much as it does people like Tristram Hunt. They use the term to imply that anyone anti-Corbyn is reasonable and widely palatable, and because the more accurate term 'Blairite' is poison. It sets them against the so-called 'hard left'. It is therefore entirely understandable that people have quickly come to use the term 'moderate' as pejorative. It was the media and the 'moderates' themselves who made the term into a weapon, they can hardly complain when it is turned back on them.
Firstly, when did we on FTN start dancing to the media's tune? Secondly:
...... they can hardly complain when it is turned back on them.
"They"? Another instance of labeling.

The person 'complaining' about this usage of the word is me - actually, I am simply suggesting none of these labels is helpful - and I certainly don't consider myself to be in the same category as Selfie Simon. Maybe a little thought before we use these labels could take some of the unhelpful heat out of the debate here? Just my two pennorth .......
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just to add to the general sense of disarray, I've just received (through the post) a Labour Party membership renewal request. I renewed just a fairly short while ago (you may remember that I posted here that the on-line mechanism wasn't working for me) but long enough ago for it not to have "crossed in the post" as it were. Is the whole shebang in some sort of melt-down? I may be over-reacting, but I find it adds to my feelings of dismay.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I think you are in this case - lets not forget the party's membership department has been rather busier than usual recently :)

(not just with all the people joining, but a not insignificant number of departures too)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Actually I think myself that "je suis Paris" is one of the best arguments for our getting involved militarily. Solidarity is important, but it has to be weighed against other things.

And I have no doubt that some Labour MPs who back action do so totally sincerely. I think that JC fully accepts that too.

But not everybody, however. People briefing hacks that they intend to vote with Cameron "to spite Corbyn" are completely out of order, I hope everybody here can agree.
Which Labour MP are we talking about? Are they in the shadow cabinet? I haven't heard this myself. I've had a quick look at some of the papers' stories on this but can't find it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:His column in today's Times goes further and says Corbyn is right.
CU4i6YTWUAAHQr4.jpg

Not a very good scan though, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CU4i6YTWUAAHQr4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The thing is,I have seen no serious opinion saying that Cameron is right.
Corbyn is right,he is,but ,seeing as he is Corbyn he must be wrong.
Why is this happening?
Good question.

Good-afternoon, everyone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-activist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Cameron backs Grant Shapps amid scandal over activist
Prime minister has ‘full confidence’ in former Conservative party co-chairman, who has been urged to resign by father of blogger found dead after allegations of bullying
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Actually I think myself that "je suis Paris" is one of the best arguments for our getting involved militarily. Solidarity is important, but it has to be weighed against other things.

Which Labour MP are we talking about? Are they in the shadow cabinet? I haven't heard this myself. I've had a quick look at some of the papers' stories on this but can't find it.
As (almost) ever, they are anonymous. Probably not shadow cabinet as it would likely have been stated if they were.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Grant Shapps resigns. His position is to be taken up by Michael Green.
ScreenShot01140.jpg
ScreenShot01140.jpg (14.52 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Although I'd prefer this
ScreenShot01140.jpg
ScreenShot01140.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You're obviously another Corbyn cultist Dan, even though you didn't even vote for him :lol:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... l-activist" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As I said the other day the one thing you simply cannot do when leading an organisation is to ignore something like this because it will come back and bite you on the arse at some point.

I've done two of these and know that investigating them is horrible because of having to sort out conflicting claims but necessary.

I have no sympathy for them. What the parents of that lad must be thinking hearing all of this coming out now...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

What descriptions do you think we should use Grim ?
Or abandon any differentiation at all....

I use '' '' around the word moderate because most of the people described as such are not actually centre ground.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Willow904 wrote:This is Cameron's war, Corbyn can't hope to stop it however right he may be in his wish to do so.
Ed did. Corbyn's USP is that he is his own man, not a 'professional' politician, that was what endeared him to the people who overwhelmingly voted for him as Leader; but there are times where you have to compromise, where you have to be able to play the realpolitik games to stop some of Cameron's more outrageous idiocies, and it is questionable whether Jezza is capable of doing that without alienating those who voted for him ...... actually, whether he is capable of doing that full stop.
When Ed stopped Cameron, it was Cameron's idea. The US hadn't asked us to bomb Syria, let alone the French. There was a bigger government rebellion on the cards also. I guess what I'm saying is that I admire Corbyn's principles in this, I understand his desire to stop this bombing campaign, it's wrong and will be a disaster, but I don't think it's worth risking the Labour party over it as there's less chance to stop it this time, in which case maintaining party unity should have been the top priority. If he met with his shadow cabinet and suggested a free vote, would there have been dissent and briefing to the press? What did he say or do that has created this disunity that is damaging the party? I can't understand what's gone wrong, that this has become about Labour, not the government's poor decision to go to war on a widely panned weak argument. This is why I've lost faith in Corbyn, a little. If John McDonnell could see a free vote as the best option early on, why hasn't that already been agreed and the focus thrown back on Cameron's weak case?
Some of the reports I've heard since the PLP / Shadow Cabinet meetings on Syria appear to be saying that some of the angry with Corbyn MPs are angry because a free vote might be allowed and they think there must be a collective shadow cabinet / party position on matters of national security - that Labour isn't credible without a clear, unified position. Some here also share that view. I don't - I think such a big decision should be a matter of conscience and subject to a free vote. Whatever our respective views - it should be above taking swipes at individuals and party dynamics. It should be about Syria and Cameron's case.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Afternoon all.

As I said the other day the one thing you simply cannot do when leading an organisation is to ignore something like this because it will come back and bite you on the arse at some point.

I've done two of these and know that investigating them is horrible because of having to sort out conflicting claims but necessary.

I have no sympathy for them. What the parents of that lad must be thinking hearing all of this coming out now...
Yes - it must be absolutely awful. The long piece in the G was truly shocking. And I'm finding myself sickened - even more than I already was - as more and more allegations and details are set out that this sort of sleasy, nasty behaviour and tactics played a pivotal role in the election that Cameron 'won'. It screams SPIV job all the way through.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 3m3 minutes ago
Grant Shapps has resigned as minister following Tory youth wing bullying claims
The 'full confidence in' hammer has struck again then.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Argghhh. I suspected as much.
But on the other hand, are these people real ?....any journo can make up a quote can't they ?
Not sure it is possible to really assess what is real and not at the moment.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Was busy cussing about my reply to RR's PM going into oblivion as I pressed the wrong key, but John McDonnell just got a big round of applause on Any Questions re Syria.
Unfortunately I didn't hear what he said to merit it.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:What descriptions do you think we should use Grim ?
Or abandon any differentiation at all.....
Personally I think the latter would be preferable. As a society we've become label happy but, unlike pigeons, people are too nuanced to fit easily into holes.
yahyah wrote:I use '' '' around the word moderate because most of the people described as such are not actually centre ground.
Yes, described (as RS pointed out) as such by our friends in the Fourth Estate, in an (obviously successful) attempt to dictate the narrative. Aren't we better than that here?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 3m3 minutes ago
Grant Shapps has resigned as minister following Tory youth wing bullying claims
The 'full confidence in' hammer has struck again then.
So how long before Feldman is forced to quit as party chairman?

If Warsi knew than so must have he have done too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Was busy cussing about my reply to RR's PM going into oblivion as I pressed the wrong key, but John McDonnell just got a big round of applause on Any Questions re Syria.
Unfortunately I didn't hear what he said to merit it.
He was asking people not to mistake democracy for division - that there was debate going on in the party and people should be allowed to make their decision independent of party pressures. That there were also differing views in the Conservative party. Then there was an interjection from Dimbleby saying but Cameron has got a postion and his cabinet agree it ... to which McDonnell said but he has said he will only bomb Syria with the consent of parliament and is going to put it to a full parliamentary vote so the HoC overall gets to decide - that's democracy. And then there was the applause.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:Just to add to the general sense of disarray, I've just received (through the post) a Labour Party membership renewal request. I renewed just a fairly short while ago (you may remember that I posted here that the on-line mechanism wasn't working for me) but long enough ago for it not to have "crossed in the post" as it were. Is the whole shebang in some sort of melt-down? I may be over-reacting, but I find it adds to my feelings of dismay.

We've got standing orders for payment it just seems to continue regardless.

I spoke to someone in the membership department yesterday, at length, about what happens when you leave, whether anyone actually collates what your reason is.
They do send you a form apparently, and the reasons are noted but not made public.

Does anyone know exactly who within the party has access to the leaving the party reason statistics ?
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 28 Nov, 2015 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Fair enough Grim.
Will refer to the individuals by name in future but it may make for some long lists !
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh Retweeted
Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 26m26 minutes ago
Understand Shapps was key to drafting of the letters of praise from PM to Clarke and DC now "apoplectic".
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:Fair enough Grim.
Will refer to the individuals by name in future but it may make for some long lists !
But potentially less misunderstandings and ill feeling? :P
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh Retweeted
Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole 26m26 minutes ago
Understand Shapps was key to drafting of the letters of praise from PM to Clarke and DC now "apoplectic".

I bet Cameron's gone a deep shade of coqueliot !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Yes, but harder work ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ten days is a long time in politics.
November 18th Toady Young was tweeting that the Tory suicide & alleged blackmail & pimping out was 'not exactly page one stuff'
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 28 Nov, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 3m3 minutes ago
Shapps resigns over Tory bullying scandal: a tale of a party’s desperation for ground troops http://bit.ly/1Om3KGx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... More widely than the way Shapps and his colleagues reacted to complaints, is the question of why Clarke, a man widely reputed in Tory circles as poisonous, became so indispensable to the Conservative campaigning machine, even after his association had highlighted his unsuitability to be a candidate after the 2010 election. The answer is that the Tory party was desperate for ground troops to fight Labour, and with a small and often elderly membership, this was hard to come by. It seems that their desperation stopped them asking the sorts of questions that an organisation with the luxury of many footsoldiers should have asked. Clarke being a liability may have looked rather less of a threat compared to being utterly swamped by Labour activists in key seats. But it’s not just Clarke, who denies bullying Johnson. Those involved in Tory youth politics say bullying was rife and not limited to one man...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Since when was Danczuk moderate? Have to admit I've been getting a touch twitchy of late about the use of the word "moderate" (the inverted commas being germane) almost as a term of abuse, lumping in everybody from Kippers (in all but name) like Danczuk to supporters of genuine moderates like Creasy, Burnham et al; it is akin to the way some threw around the label "Red Tories", as a pejorative label for all Labour supporters, in the run up to GE.

"Moderate", "Red Tory", "Corbynite" ....... are these labels really helping, as we try to find a way for the different wings of the Labour Party 'broad church' to work more harmoniously?
The problem with 'moderate' is that this is the term the media is using to refer to the right of the Labour party, which includes figures like Danczuk and Milburn as much as it does people like Tristram Hunt. They use the term to imply that anyone anti-Corbyn is reasonable and widely palatable, and because the more accurate term 'Blairite' is poison. It sets them against the so-called 'hard left'. It is therefore entirely understandable that people have quickly come to use the term 'moderate' as pejorative. It was the media and the 'moderates' themselves who made the term into a weapon, they can hardly complain when it is turned back on them.
Firstly, when did we on FTN start dancing to the media's tune? Secondly:
...... they can hardly complain when it is turned back on them.
"They"? Another instance of labeling.

The person 'complaining' about this usage of the word is me - actually, I am simply suggesting none of these labels is helpful - and I certainly don't consider myself to be in the same category as Selfie Simon. Maybe a little thought before we use these labels could take some of the unhelpful heat out of the debate here? Just my two pennorth .......
(my bold)
Yes, thank you!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just twigged how to stop a pic being too large and skewing the page.
Remove the words 'large' at the end of the link.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Image

Ten days is a long time in politics.
November 18th Toady Young was tweeting that the Tory suicide & alleged blackmail & pimping out was 'not exactly page one stuff'
Reminds me of Kenneth Wolstenhome in the WC Final 1966...."It is now!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Ed did. Corbyn's USP is that he is his own man, not a 'professional' politician, that was what endeared him to the people who overwhelmingly voted for him as Leader; but there are times where you have to compromise, where you have to be able to play the realpolitik games to stop some of Cameron's more outrageous idiocies, and it is questionable whether Jezza is capable of doing that without alienating those who voted for him ...... actually, whether he is capable of doing that full stop.
Some of the reports I've heard since the PLP / Shadow Cabinet meetings on Syria appear to be saying that some of the angry with Corbyn MPs are angry because a free vote might be allowed and they think there must be a collective shadow cabinet / party position on matters of national security - that Labour isn't credible without a clear, unified position. Some here also share that view. I don't - I think such a big decision should be a matter of conscience and subject to a free vote. Whatever our respective views - it should be above taking swipes at individuals and party dynamics. It should be about Syria and Cameron's case.
Thanks for the response. It answers some questions. There are clearly concerns among some about the "Labour a threat to security" narrative currently being constructed by the Tories and that it might have the same effect as the "spent all the money" narrative. I'm not sure I agree with that. It would be different if our ally Turkey hadn't shot down a Russian jet. The lack of clarity over who we would be fighting in Syria and on whose side, makes this a question of the PM's competence in whether he has a clear and legit plan (neither the UN or the plea of self defence gives a mandate to attack Assad, for instance). I don't think a free vote for Labour MPs would have any lasting impact on Labour's security reputation given the complexity of this specific issue. Labour should be hammering the point about the need for a proper follow up plan home, using people like Dan Jarvis to explain why Cameron's proposals fall short, not sending out questionnaires and sniping at each other.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 3m3 minutes ago
Shapps resigns over Tory bullying scandal: a tale of a party’s desperation for ground troops http://bit.ly/1Om3KGx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... More widely than the way Shapps and his colleagues reacted to complaints, is the question of why Clarke, a man widely reputed in Tory circles as poisonous, became so indispensable to the Conservative campaigning machine, even after his association had highlighted his unsuitability to be a candidate after the 2010 election. The answer is that the Tory party was desperate for ground troops to fight Labour, and with a small and often elderly membership, this was hard to come by. It seems that their desperation stopped them asking the sorts of questions that an organisation with the luxury of many footsoldiers should have asked. Clarke being a liability may have looked rather less of a threat compared to being utterly swamped by Labour activists in key seats. But it’s not just Clarke, who denies bullying Johnson. Those involved in Tory youth politics say bullying was rife and not limited to one man...

I think this whole sad and sordid mess may end up not fully explained.
Just like the question 'is it possible phone hacking was used to help win an election'.
Last edited by yahyah on Sat 28 Nov, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:Have just twigged how to stop a pic being too large and skewing the page.
Remove the words 'large' at the end of the link.
If only someone had written a handy guide? *cough* http://flythenest.org/viewtopic.php?p=5802#p5802" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; *cough* :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Yes, but harder work ;)
You're a jewel, yahyah.
Some of the most valuable work you do is gardening, in my opinion.
What is cultivated is grown and harvested.
There's no shortcut.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

As (almost) ever, they are anonymous. Probably not shadow cabinet as it would likely have been stated if they were.
Do we even have a direct quote?

Don't assume that people who support Corbyn can't stick out anonymous quotes too. And don't rule out Chinese Whispers?

I saw Lindsey German saying this as well.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sat 28 Nov, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Yes, but harder work ;)
To (almost) quote the words of JFK:
We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
At the risk of continuing to flog the deceased equine, the Fourth Estate take the easy option. If we aren't better than them then we are wasting our time & energy. ;)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Keith Vaz ‏@Keith_Vaz 2m2 minutes ago
People should stop attacking @JeremyCorbyn4PM. These are issues of national security which require cool heads and a calm debate.
Good gracious.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Keith Vaz ‏@Keith_Vaz 2m2 minutes ago
People should stop attacking @JeremyCorbyn4PM. These are issues of national security which require cool heads and a calm debate.
Good gracious.
Blimey. I didn't see that coming.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If we think of Corbyn as PM now, with a free hand, how do you think he'd handle relations with France? He's talked about reforming the EU from inside, and he could pretty much kiss goodbye to French help if he didn't back them now, or give them practical support in some way. He could add them to the entirety of Eastern Europe with his anti-NATO stuff.

Can you imagine him achieving much? I can't, really. His school of leftist have always been so hostile to the EU, NATO etc, because they think in terms of themselves taking principled decisions in isolation. Internationalism is talking to people like them in other countries, even if they have zero importance.

It isn't really like that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think you are in this case - lets not forget the party's membership department has been rather busier than usual recently :)

(not just with all the people joining, but a not insignificant number of departures too)
Have lots of people really left?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think you are in this case - lets not forget the party's membership department has been rather busier than usual recently :)

Have lots of people really left?
Some have, yes - a couple have even had Graun columns to expound on it at tedious length ;)

Nowhere near as many who have joined, for sure - but they are likely what has stopped total membership topping 400k thus far.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:@Rebecca

Thanks, as I say probably nothing much but I have been stripping mouldy wallpaper in my bathroom this week and I just wonder whether that may have affected her. You know what cats are like and she's not used to wandering off and poking her nose into everything, they've only got a roof terrace and rooftops to wander.

'And on the subject of mould or condensation, I have to have the windows open every morning to dry the flat out, especially the bathroom. Brrr! I do use the heating afterwards though with the thermostat set at ten degrees.
The secret to any damp room is when the heat on you should leave a window cracked open, otherwise if you keep the window shut as it dries it causes moisture which then has nowhere to go.
That is if you can afford to do that.

I don't have the heating on at night, but always keep the bedroom window open a crack except on the very coldest nights. Keeping the air circulating is important.
I didn't ever have problems with damp until I stopped work to care for Rosie.
Unheated homes become cold/damp homes in my experience,and no way could I,,and thousands of people,afford to have the heating on during the day,let alone night.
Luckily,my lovely woodburner keeps us toasty warm,and we really only use one room in the day.
At night,jump into a warm bed with a hwb.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:@Rebecca

Thanks, as I say probably nothing much but I have been stripping mouldy wallpaper in my bathroom this week and I just wonder whether that may have affected her. You know what cats are like and she's not used to wandering off and poking her nose into everything, they've only got a roof terrace and rooftops to wander.

'And on the subject of mould or condensation, I have to have the windows open every morning to dry the flat out, especially the bathroom. Brrr! I do use the heating afterwards though with the thermostat set at ten degrees.
The secret to any damp room is when the heat on you should leave a window cracked open, otherwise if you keep the window shut as it dries it causes moisture which then has nowhere to go.

I don't have the heating on at night, but always keep the bedroom window open a crack except on the very coldest nights. Keeping the air circulating is important.
Unheated homes become cold/damp homes in my experience,and no way could I,,and thousands of people,afford to have the heating on during the day,let alone night.
Luckily,my lovely woodburner keeps us toasty warm,and we really only use one room in the day.
I wondered - just for a second - what a hwb was. Nearly had my eyebrows raising there. :)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:If we think of Corbyn as PM now, with a free hand, how do you think he'd handle relations with France? He's talked about reforming the EU from inside, and he could pretty much kiss goodbye to French help if he didn't back them now, or give them practical support in some way. He could add them to the entirety of Eastern Europe with his anti-NATO stuff.

Can you imagine him achieving much? I can't, really. His school of leftist have always been so hostile to the EU, NATO etc, because they think in terms of themselves taking principled decisions in isolation. Internationalism is talking to people like them in other countries, even if they have zero importance.

It isn't really like that.

Well,Tubby,we can all imagine 'what if 'events with outcomes within the parameters of our own prejudices and experiences.
In the real world we have a PM who is more or less a laughing stock worldwide.(remember the dead pig fucking incident?),who has very little credibility in europe.
So,I will worry about the reality rather than fret about the notion that Corbyn,a backbencher until September,is now PM,Labour having lost the last two GEs.
Maybe,if more leaders were like Corbyn,who won the Ghandi peace prize,the world would be a better place.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: When Ed stopped Cameron, it was Cameron's idea. The US hadn't asked us to bomb Syria, let alone the French. There was a bigger government rebellion on the cards also. I guess what I'm saying is that I admire Corbyn's principles in this, I understand his desire to stop this bombing campaign, it's wrong and will be a disaster, but I don't think it's worth risking the Labour party over it as there's less chance to stop it this time, in which case maintaining party unity should have been the top priority. If he met with his shadow cabinet and suggested a free vote, would there have been dissent and briefing to the press? What did he say or do that has created this disunity that is damaging the party? I can't understand what's gone wrong, that this has become about Labour, not the government's poor decision to go to war on a widely panned weak argument. This is why I've lost faith in Corbyn, a little. If John McDonnell could see a free vote as the best option early on, why hasn't that already been agreed and the focus thrown back on Cameron's weak case?
Thanks for the response. It answers some questions. There are clearly concerns among some about the "Labour a threat to security" narrative currently being constructed by the Tories and that it might have the same effect as the "spent all the money" narrative. I'm not sure I agree with that. It would be different if our ally Turkey hadn't shot down a Russian jet. The lack of clarity over who we would be fighting in Syria and on whose side, makes this a question of the PM's competence in whether he has a clear and legit plan (neither the UN or the plea of self defence gives a mandate to attack Assad, for instance). I don't think a free vote for Labour MPs would have any lasting impact on Labour's security reputation given the complexity of this specific issue. Labour should be hammering the point about the need for a proper follow up plan home, using people like Dan Jarvis to explain why Cameron's proposals fall short, not sending out questionnaires and sniping at each other.
Apologies if this has been posted and I've not seen it here. Dave, his Tory government along with a news media supporting a Tory government attempting avoidance of Tory government responsibility by calling out, 'Labour disarray' is wholly unconscionable, though it's unsurprising. It's the main feature of of nearly six years of Tory leadership, much to the sorrow of most people in the UK suffering because of this infantile government. Dangerous as hell, too.
"My five tests for backing military action in Syria"
Dan Jarvis
Monday 23 November 2015

"First, we need clarity about the difference that extending Britain’s intervention will make to hastening Isis’s defeat. Our role should not solely be justified by solidarity, but on how we can make a practical difference.

Second, any military action must be accompanied by a diplomatic plan to broker a political agreement to end the conflict in Syria. We cannot divorce our action from the wider context of the civil war that has created a haven for Isis. ...[W]e will not be able to defeat Isis solely from the air. In the longer term a presence will be needed on the ground to keep the peace. This needs to be led by troops from the region – otherwise we risk reinforcing Isis’s narrative.

Third, we should be using our economic power as well as military resources. Isis is trading like a state, so we need to follow the money. That should include economic sanctions, cutting off the finances and targeting the human trafficking operations that fund its bloodshed.

Fourth, the prime minister must provide assurances that post-conflict reconstruction is not being treated as an afterthought. Syria is a failed state with broken institutions, and will need to be rebuilt. The fact that many former commanders from Saddam Hussein’s army now occupy senior roles within Isis is testament to the failures of the “de-Ba’athification” process in Iraq. We must not repeat these mistakes. Military action should go hand in hand with humanitarian relief and a development effort to create a stable Syrian administration.

Finally, what makes Isis more dangerous than other foes we have faced is that it has proved itself capable of reaching across borders and poisoning the minds of our own citizens. I hope, therefore, that any proposal laid before parliament will include measures to strengthen community cohesion, give our police the resources they need, and prevent extremism from finding a voice in our communities."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... amic-state
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: The secret to any damp room is when the heat on you should leave a window cracked open, otherwise if you keep the window shut as it dries it causes moisture which then has nowhere to go.

I wondered - just for a second - what a hwb was. Nearly had my eyebrows raising there. :)
Oh really!I WAS going to write 'hottie',my usual way of referring to them,but worried someone would get the wrong idea!