Monday 30th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Monday 30th November 2015

Post by refitman »

Today's email from Labour List is good:
Clearly the Labour Party needs to calm down. Both sides of the argument should be treated with respect and comradeship. Hilary Benn is no kneejerk militarist but rather a thoughtful man who wants to keep Britain safe and bring peace to Syria. Jeremy Corbyn is also right to hold firm to his beliefs, which he persuasively laid out on the Andrew Marr Show yesterday.

But democracy is not only about the party leader, membership and NEC. The Labour Party is not the French fifth republic and Jeremy Corbyn is not Charles de Gaulle. He needs to work with his Shadow Cabinet, not just go over its head with all-member consultations. Similarly Labour MPs need to work with Jeremy Corbyn and show him respect. The scorn shown towards him at meetings of the Parliamentary Labour Party should stop tonight.

Jeremy Corbyn does have a mandate from the Labour Party. But he also has a greater responsibility to deliver a Labour government for the millions of people who are desperate for one. It is a responsibility the whole of Labour Party share. They need to remember divided parties do not win elections. They need to show they can win in Oldham on Thursday and across the UK in May.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

On that topic, I noticed there wasn't so much leaking from last week's PLP meeting - maybe somebody has already put their foot down there?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On that topic, I noticed there wasn't so much leaking from last week's PLP meeting - maybe somebody has already put their foot down there?
I'd like to think that Tom Watson would be applying his bruiser reputation in this regard.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: The other side of that coin was shown back in 2003, where a very sizeable chunk of Labour MPs (including Corbyn) voted against Blair's rush to war, whereas most Tories voted for it (IDS, their then Leader, was positively baying for blood); so when Tory trolls start trying to stir about 2003 it is entirely possible for Labour supporters to stand against them with pride and dignity. Same applies this time where, if it is a free vote as I think it should, the Tories will vote for it virtually en masse; when it goes pear shaped, as it inevitably will, Cameron and his party will have nowhere left to hide.

Their effectively coming out for the Tories just before the GE cost them a lot of credibility with their readership, they know they need to earn some serious brownie points.

Re the Indy stuff;you're probably right,but even so,stories like the Fireman reaffiliating with Labour expressly because of Corbyn didn't get a mention at the Guardian.Not one sentence,like it didn't happen.But if the union had made even one mildly discouraging remark in a vaguely Corbyn direction,Wintour etc would have three pieces up about it before you could say Corbynite.
How is that a shock? The Graun consistently briefed against Miliband, they will do the same against Corbyn; Wintour, Watt, Kettle, Jenkins, White, Helm et al (and, yes, et al very much includes Sparrow) gave up any pretence of impartiality years ago, which is why print sales plummeted (why pay good money for poorly written & biased hackery) and even online readership (in the UK) has been hit.

Where,in a three line comment,did I remotely say I was shocked?
So the answer to 'how is that a shock?' is 'the shock must be in your imagination,cos it certainly isn't in mine.'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Rebecca wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Re the Indy stuff;you're probably right,but even so,stories like the Fireman reaffiliating with Labour expressly because of Corbyn didn't get a mention at the Guardian.Not one sentence,like it didn't happen.But if the union had made even one mildly discouraging remark in a vaguely Corbyn direction,Wintour etc would have three pieces up about it before you could say Corbynite.
How is that a shock? The Graun consistently briefed against Miliband, they will do the same against Corbyn; Wintour, Watt, Kettle, Jenkins, White, Helm et al (and, yes, et al very much includes Sparrow) gave up any pretence of impartiality years ago, which is why print sales plummeted (why pay good money for poorly written & biased hackery) and even online readership (in the UK) has been hit.

So the answer to 'how is that a shock?' is 'the shock must be in your imagination,cos it certainly isn't in mine.'
Wow, where did that one come from? Didn't imply you had said it, it was a general observation; am I really that unwelcome here that I get to take a kicking for asides about the MSM? :wall:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

I have noticed elsewhere that Corbyns' choice of winter hat seems to be upsetting some people.
Anybody here(looking at you Mr Latimer)have insight into the proper cold weather headgear for the leader of the oppostion?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: How is that a shock? The Graun consistently briefed against Miliband, they will do the same against Corbyn; Wintour, Watt, Kettle, Jenkins, White, Helm et al (and, yes, et al very much includes Sparrow) gave up any pretence of impartiality years ago, which is why print sales plummeted (why pay good money for poorly written & biased hackery) and even online readership (in the UK) has been hit.

Wow, where did that one come from? Didn't imply you had said it, it was a general observation; am I really that unwelcome here that I get to take a kicking for asides about the MSM? :wall:

Oh please don't do the unwelcome here bit.
I thought you were asking me a question as the said question was the first thing in your reply to me.
So I answered it.
No need to take major umbrage.Sorry if I have offended you.
(is eye rolling offensive as well?)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

YahYah,I understand the sad day thing now.It is.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Rebecca wrote:I have noticed elsewhere that Corbyns' choice of winter hat seems to be upsetting some people.
Anybody here(looking at you Mr Latimer)have insight into the proper cold weather headgear for the leader of the oppostion?
It's a Breton cap as far as I know, sometimes known as a fishermans hat. Popular in the 60s with Donovan and The Beatles being admirers. Usually come in wool or corduroy So was Lenin apparently, hence the other nickname 'Lenin cap' I have a corduroy one :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... p&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I miss amongst others, the list of tasty treats available.

I'm enjoying the robust discussions ongoing at FTN and hope there's no further departures due to fallings out.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Rebecca wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

Oh please don't do the unwelcome here bit.
I thought you were asking me a question as the said question was the first thing in your reply to me.
So I answered it.
No need to take major umbrage.Sorry if I have offended you.
No offence taken and no umbrage. :zen: I know that some of my recent posts have not exactly been popular here, even when all I am doing is suggesting that we take a deep breath before we leap in to avoid causing conflict.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Look forward to your views on this Tubby.

http://www.publicfinance.co.uk/news/201 ... ears-early" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: No offence taken and no umbrage. :zen: I know that some of my recent posts have not exactly been popular here, even when all I am doing is suggesting that we take a deep breath before we leap in to avoid causing conflict.
So you'll take a deep breath before doing the 'unwelcome here' thing next time. :zen:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... man-rights" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Northern Ireland law on abortion ruled as 'incompatible with human rights'
Belfast high court ruling could lead to women being allowed to have abortions in cases of fatal foetal abnormalities, rape and incest
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh FFS. You & Yours on Radio 4 has got an item on the government bigging themselves up as consumer champions now ... claiming they are going to get up to £400 off utility bills because of things they have supposedly done to the energy regulations ... and are setting out all these things they are doing to make it even better in the future which means - ta dah - more competition, more switching and getting rid of the green crap subsidies.

Don't get me going on switching (it's just not worth it for where we live and what we use - as usual it's city centric policy) ... and as for competition bringing down prices - please show me how that has happened in the energy market?????

And finally ... that supposed £400 saving might - just might - mitigate the estimated £400 additional annual council tax most of us are going to be paying by 2020 (1.9% general increase plus the additional 2% social care specific increase annually).

They really think we are mugs.
Working on the wild side.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh FFS. You & Yours on Radio 4 has got an item on the government bigging themselves up as consumer champions now ... claiming they are going to get up to £400 off utility bills because of things they have supposedly done to the energy regulations ... and are setting out all these things they are doing to make it even better in the future which means - ta dah - more competition, more switching and getting rid of the green crap subsidies.

Don't get me going on switching (it's just not worth it for where we live and what we use - as usual it's city centric policy) ... and as for competition bringing down prices - please show me how that has happened in the energy market?????

And finally ... that supposed £400 saving might - just might - mitigate the estimated £400 additional annual council tax most of us are going to be paying by 2020 (1.9% general increase plus the additional 2% social care specific increase annually).

Right out of Thatchers copybook.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

The lengths some of these Corbynistas go to in emulating their hero is getting ridiculous.
ScreenShot01150.jpg
ScreenShot01150.jpg (12.4 KiB) Viewed 6637 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From Andrew Sparrow's blog
More than 100,000 people have signed a Commons petition saying the government should not launch air strikes against Isis in Syria. “There is no one solution that should be considered, but murdering people will just make things worse,” it says.
was over 115,000 when I just signed it

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/113064" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Oh FFS. You & Yours on Radio 4 has got an item on the government bigging themselves up as consumer champions now ... claiming they are going to get up to £400 off utility bills because of things they have supposedly done to the energy regulations ... and are setting out all these things they are doing to make it even better in the future which means - ta dah - more competition, more switching and getting rid of the green crap subsidies.

The proposals for water are the most concerning. The privatisation of water has drawn less criticism than other utilities privatisations (apart from the usual complaint of cost) because it was more like outsourcing a public service to the private sector, with Ofwat imposing regulation to uphold quality and standards and also controlling prices. In order to offer price "competition" you will need to introduce a whole new layer of companies and bureaucracy - a middle man - to buy water and services from the current providers, which would become more like National Grid or BT, and sell on to customers at an extra cut of profit that wasn't there before. It has to be dearer. You give up the ability to cap prices, you give up the ability to link the need for maintenance and extension of infrastructure with the extra money in bills to pay for it - as the new billing companies will try to extract any price rises rather than pass them on to the water provider that needs the money for investment. In other words, Osborne has spotted that water isn't all f***ed up like all the other privatised utilities and has potential for major short-term profit extraction. I really, really hope this never gets this off the ground.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

gilsey wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: No offence taken and no umbrage. :zen: I know that some of my recent posts have not exactly been popular here, even when all I am doing is suggesting that we take a deep breath before we leap in to avoid causing conflict.
So you'll take a deep breath before doing the 'unwelcome here' thing next time. :zen:
:zen:
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

TobyLatimer wrote:The lengths some of these Corbynistas go to in emulating their hero is getting ridiculous.
ScreenShot01150.jpg

Sorry,who is that?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Rebecca wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:The lengths some of these Corbynistas go to in emulating their hero is getting ridiculous.
ScreenShot01150.jpg

Sorry,who is that?
That's Glenda's little boy.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Rebecca wrote:
ScreenShot01150.jpg

Sorry,who is that?

Dan Hodges :sick:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

refitman wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ScreenShot01150.jpg

Sorry,who is that?
A badger was what first sprang to mind.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Lucas Retweeted
Chris Doyle ‏@Doylech 42m42 minutes ago
Done 5 interviews on #syriaairstrikes today and in every one Qs assume Uk strikes make a difference. ISIS & Raqqa will be bombed whatever
What a depressing indictment of our media that is.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
refitman wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

Sorry,who is that?
Oy! Badgers are very lovable and fiercely loyal to their family / clan. Not an acceptable linkage. :)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 3m3 minutes ago
Labour received 107,875 responses to Syria consultation: 75% are against UK bombing in Syria. 13% are for. 11% undecided

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 3m3 minutes ago
DATA ALERT: Labour says 75% of 107,875 responses to consultation on Syria oppose bombing: "Figures are based on an initial sample of 1900."
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

In yesterdays Observer piece about Raqqa,one Syrian said that the people of Raqqa are only allowed to leave if an Isis doctor agrees that they need medical treatment outside the town,and that families are spending most of their time together,so that if a bomb hits they will all die together.
I really hope that MPs read that .Heartbreaking.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard Retweeted
Anthony Wells ‏@anthonyjwells 2m2 minutes ago
@PickardJE it's a decent enough sample *size*. The probably will be I doubt there was any attempt to ensure it was a *representative* sample
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rebecca wrote:In yesterdays Observer piece about Raqqa,one Syrian said that the people of Raqqa are only allowed to leave if an Isis doctor agrees that they need medical treatment outside the town,and that families are spending most of their time together,so that if a bomb hits they will all die together.
It really was a very upsetting piece that. The Isis doctor assessment before you were allowed external medical treatment was so chilling. What kind of doctor / person could willingly be party to that?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour received 107,875 responses to Syria consultation: 75% are against UK bombing in Syria. 13% are for. 11% undecided

DATA ALERT: Labour says 75% of 107,875 responses to consultation on Syria oppose bombing: "Figures are based on an initial sample of 1900."
Sophy Ridge and Graham Jones mp are twittering away nonsense about how many responses Corbyn would have had to read per minute for 48 hours to get the results.
Guess they have never heard of a response team then?
And when LP members are asked for questions to the PM a couple of days before,do they think Jeremy sits down and reads the lot?
How dare they try to make peoples view on war irrelevant because it doesn't fit their narrative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Hutton Retweeted
John McDermott ‏@johnpmcdermott 5m5 minutes ago
I should add ... last week I asked No 10 what the margin of error was around the estimate of 70,000 ground troops. Declined to comment.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Rebecca wrote:In yesterdays Observer piece about Raqqa,one Syrian said that the people of Raqqa are only allowed to leave if an Isis doctor agrees that they need medical treatment outside the town,and that families are spending most of their time together,so that if a bomb hits they will all die together.
It really was a very upsetting piece that. The Isis doctor assessment before you were allowed external medical treatment was so chilling. What kind of doctor / person could willingly be party to that?
Probably used to work for Asos.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
refitman wrote: That's Glenda's little boy.
Oy! Badgers are very lovable and fiercely loyal to their family / clan. Not an acceptable linkage. :)
lol, I thought I'd get a swift bite!
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

StephenDolan wrote:
refitman wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

Sorry,who is that?
It is his rustic beard, presumably getting it ready for his triumphant return as Hampstead Village's official Idiot.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

" Randall was not alone among business journalists in holding Cameron in utter contempt throughout his seven-year stint at Carlton. Like him, some pull up just short of calling him a professional liar.

Chris Blackhurst, City editor of the London Evening Standard says Cameron was "aggressive, sharp-tongued, often condescending and patronising.

"If anyone had told me then he might become Premier I would have told them to seek help."

Patrick Hosking, investment editor of The Times, said: "He was obstructive."

Most damning of all is this assessment by veteran City journalist Ian King, who calls him "a poisonous, slippery individual," adding: "He was a smarmy bully who regularly threatened journalists. He loved humiliating people, including a colleague at ITV he would abuse publicly as 'Bunter', just because the poor bloke was a few pounds overweight."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... say-199206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A good point above that JC should wait until Cameron decides on a date for the vote in Parliament to decide on a free vote or a whip, rather than giving the initiative to him.

Time to play poker .

Another is the exact wording of the motion, Has anybody seen it ?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Rebecca wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Sophy Ridge and Graham Jones mp are twittering away nonsense about how many responses Corbyn would have had to read per minute for 48 hours to get the results.
Guess they have never heard of a response team then?
And when LP members are asked for questions to the PM a couple of days before,do they think Jeremy sits down and reads the lot?
How dare they try to make peoples view on war irrelevant because it doesn't fit their narrative.
The headline figure of 75% is as dubious as Cameron's imaginary 70,000. As such it deserves ridicule.
Release the Guardvarks.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

WATO being as neutral as usual :roll:
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Just realised it was FTN's 4th birthday yesterday. Belated wishes etc. Did I miss the party ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

I've just received through the post my renewed Labour Party membership.
Together with a request to renew my membership . . .

Anyway, to get to the point of my post -

I sustained a very nasty paper cut when opening the envelope.

Shame you are not Dan Hodges PF, you could have earned Tory dosh for writing a whole Corbyn hate piece for the Telegraph based on that injury.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://drphilhammond.com/blog/2015/11/3 ... alls-1344/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dr.Phil Hammond (MD in Private Eye)"Junior Doctors Speak Up"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TobyLatimer wrote:Just realised it was FTN's 4th birthday yesterday. Belated wishes etc. Did I miss the party ?
Good grief, I am getting old.

If there was a party I can't remember it so it must have been good.
Release the Guardvarks.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Still got this page saved from the freeforums site with the wonderful card that @seeingclearly made http://flythenest.freeforums.org/post48623.html#p48623" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fci653P.jpg
fci653P.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 6532 times
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:WATO being as neutral as usual :roll:
Strange they didn't opt for TWATO as their abbreviated name.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tottenham Labour
‏@TottenhamLabour Tottenham Labour Retweeted PoliticsHome
Thoughts with @MikeGapes MP

PoliticsHomeVerified account
‏@politicshome
Labour MP Mike Gapes in hospital after emergency surgery http://bit.ly/1Q8gkt0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:WATO being as neutral as usual :roll:
Strange they didn't opt for TWATO as their abbreviated name.
Rather like ephie's pet name for an infamous Graun hack. Nick Anagram ;)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

chi onwurahVerified account
‏@ChiOnwurah
How I'll be voting on airstrikes in Syria & why - with thx to constituents who constructively shared their views http://chionwurahmp.com/2015/11/chi-tho ... intention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Peter Jukes ‏@peterjukes 48m48 minutes ago
From the material I'm seeing about RoadTrip, blackmail wasn't an accident but engine of the movement. More coming soon with @NickTMutch

All alleged at the moment of course.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Bell ‏@andybell5news 1m1 minute ago
Told Tory MPs on 3 line whip for Thursday - can't be #Syria vote so statement after vote on Wednesday night ?