Monday 30th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 30th November 2015

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:Is it just me, or does tweeting during a meeting take away from the building a consensus / agreed approach?
It certainly would affect the feeling of trust needed in such a situation.
People would wonder what was being tweeted & why.
They should keep their phones in their pockets, preferably switched off.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Excuse me if I am speaking out of order, am not sure what the usual protocols on forums for this type of situation are.

But are we not going to offer personal tributes to the compassionate, humourous and intelligent woman we have lost. Our loss is minor compared to those who loved/knew her in the offline world, but still real nonetheless.

Will delete this if I shouldn't have mentioned it. Apologies if it is the wrong thing.
I asked yesterday if something was going to be said on FTN - I wasn't sure if it was my place to do so - but I think there was at that time a reticence to do so, possibly shock.

But I certainly want to pay tribute to the lovely, warm and wise LadyC. I am going to miss her dreadfully. I keep remembering how she lit up FTN with her excitement and enthusiasm over the Philae landings - you could feel the sparks of energy from her posts.

Bless you LadyC - I am so glad to have had your company for all too short a while.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This calls for a caption...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 25m25 minutes ago
Shadow cabinet members, led by Burnham, said they would not leave room until Corbyn backed down on changing party policy on Syria.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Cathy Newman ‏@cathynewman 12m12 minutes ago
#ElliotJohnson father Ray just told me not a single senior Conservative has contacted him to express condolences about his son's death
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lots of mischief making Tweets today...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 44s45 seconds ago
The big stat that forced Corbyn's hand? 99 Labour MPs told whips they're prepared to back Cameron to bomb ISIL
http://huff.to/1YDIIWL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Shadow cabinet members, led by Burnham, said they would not leave room until Corbyn backed down on changing party policy on Syria.
If I'd been Corbyn, I'd have got out pencil and paper and asked what sort of pizza they wanted and to order breakfast too.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Yes, bless you Lady C.

Your warmth, wisdom, knowledge, all dispensed with so much openness, generosity and humour will be missed.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Excuse me if I am speaking out of order, am not sure what the usual protocols on forums for this type of situation are.

But are we not going to offer personal tributes to the compassionate, humourous and intelligent woman we have lost. Our loss is minor compared to those who loved/knew her in the offline world, but still real nonetheless.

Will delete this if I shouldn't have mentioned it. Apologies if it is the wrong thing.
I asked yesterday if something was going to be said on FTN - I wasn't sure if it was my place to do so - but I think there was at that time a reticence to do so, possibly shock.

But I certainly want to pay tribute to the lovely, warm and wise LadyC. I am going to miss her dreadfully. I keep remembering how she lit up FTN with her excitement and enthusiasm over the Philae landings - you could feel the sparks of energy from her posts.

Bless you LadyC - I am so glad to have had your company for all too short a while.
I'm really sorry to hear that. She had bought a copy of Roundhead, and I was wondering how she was finding it, hope the family is coping.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Childish, childish, childish.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nobody's going to think that Labour's against if the Shadow Foreign Secretary and Deputy Leader vote For. It's a free vote. Just call it that.

Good on Corbyn for asking for a 2 day debate though.
That can be easily solved....change shadow Foreign Secretary!
No Mr Benn is doing an excellent job.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
If I'd been Corbyn, I'd have got out pencil and paper and asked what sort of pizza they wanted and to order breakfast too.
I do love your posts Ohso.

Feel like I should be telling people here things like that more often now.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rowena Mason ‏@rowenamason 3m3 minutes ago
Meanwhile...Lib Dems meeting re Syria now. Tim Farron to set out view, listen to party, then come to decision overnight. Will def be whipped
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
No it isn't, because they were absolutely correct. There was no majority in SC to change the party policy on Syria. There was no vote anywhere to change the party policy on Syria, and the NEC statement was quite clear.

Therefore Corbyn had to recognise the policy has not changed. In fact he had got his way we would have a bizarre position of MPs being permitted to vote freely against "policy", where the policy had magically appeared out of thin air.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I do love your posts Ohso.

Feel like I should be telling people here things like that more often now.
I have zero patience. The older I get the more difficult it is to bite my tongue and they'd certainly get the rough side of it if I were face to face with them.

Childish behaviour is unacceptable.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
No it isn't, because they were absolutely correct. There was no majority in SC to change the party policy on Syria. There was no vote anywhere to change the party policy on Syria, and the NEC statement was quite clear.

Therefore Corbyn had to recognise the policy has not changed. In fact he had got his way we would have a bizarre position of MPs being permitted to vote freely against "policy", where the policy had magically appeared out of thin air.
Well. If I heard Mr Ohso had been acting like that or one of my kids, I'd be disgusted and ashamed of them.

Statesmen and women my arse !!!!!
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Very sad to hear the news regarding Lady C. My sincere condolences.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Gggrrrr.

Just phoned the local official for our CLP, to say my husband and I were in agreement with the statement they put out supporting Corbyn's stance on air strikes.

No wonder the local party hasn't exactly thrived.
I asked him in an email how many people had joined recently, he replied 'I don't know'. No attempt to find out, presumably because he's pissed off that people have joined or come back because of Corbyn
Just asked him for the email or phone number of the newly elected chair. 'I don't know'.
I find that hard to believe. Conversations in the past show he didn't like Brown, didn't like Ed, doesn't like Corbyn. All well and good, but why let that influence the way you deal with members ?

Is this part of the problem, a hangover since the Blair years ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Nobody's going to think that Labour's against if the Shadow Foreign Secretary and Deputy Leader vote For. It's a free vote. Just call it that.

Indeed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Iain Martin ‏@iainmartin1 2m2 minutes ago
Breaking: someone to resign.

Iain Martin Retweeted
Stephen Pollard ‏@stephenpollard 2m2 minutes ago
I'm hearing that someone is going to resign. If not now, soon.
They're all just pissing about now ... the journos and pundits that is.
Er, well, ah, there...there isn't the swing, how about a swong?

I've got the swong here in this box and it's looking fine. I can see through the breathing holes that it's eating up peanuts at the rate of knots.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's all go today, innit :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:

No Mr Benn is doing an excellent job.
Not sure he's done very much so far.

But he's able enough, and could be an asset in the EU debate. Would like to see them be more positive on that score than in the past. Perhaps that'll be seen as "spiting Corbyn" or "neoliberalism" or something.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Gggrrrr.

Just phoned the local official for our CLP, to say my husband and I were in agreement with the statement they put out supporting Corbyn's stance on air strikes.

No wonder the local party hasn't exactly thrived.
I asked him in an email how many people had joined recently, he replied 'I don't know'. No attempt to find out, presumably because he's pissed off that people have joined or come back because of Corbyn
Just asked him for the email or phone number of the newly elected chair. 'I don't know'.
I find that hard to believe. Conversations in the past show he didn't like Brown, didn't like Ed, doesn't like Corbyn. All well and good, but why let that influence the way you deal with members ?

Is this part of the problem, a hangover since the Blair years ?
I would have said - 'Well, how about you go and find out? I'll wait.'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:Image

It's already got one...

2027 ??? Gawd. I'll be pushing up daisies by then.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm quite meek in real life OhSo !

RR - if you have Ceredigion's new chair's contact details via your CLP connections please could you let me have them. Also any insider info on what happened at the AGM on Friday if you have it.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

@ Robert, & yahyah, I've made a slight change to Sky's graphics
CVEN-3ZXAAEUxmn.jpg
CVEN-3ZXAAEUxmn.jpg (84.34 KiB) Viewed 4983 times
Last edited by TobyLatimer on Mon 30 Nov, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mehdi Hasan ‏@mehdirhasan 6m6 minutes ago
Mehdi Hasan Retweeted Patrick Wintour
Get in line...

Patrick WintourVerified account
‏@patrickwintour
Labour request for details of 70,000 FSA troops, whereabouts, ideology and military cohesion going to Number 10.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

You took the thought right out of my head Toby !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Cathy Newman ‏@cathynewman 53m53 minutes ago
#ElliotJohnson father Ray just told me not a single senior Conservative has contacted him to express condolences about his son's death

A day or so ago Radio 4 reported that Cameron said he was praying for Elliot Johnson and his family....yet he couldn't be arsed, in the six weeks since the young man's death to phone the family ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:I'm quite meek in real life OhSo !

RR - if you have Ceredigion's new chair's contact details via your CLP connections please could you let me have them. Also any insider info on what happened at the AGM on Friday if you have it.
I used to be. Wouldn't say boo to goose and would do anything to avoid confrontation. Not now though.

I reckon if I keep quiet my silence is taken as agreement. I can put up with a lot of silliness but some of what's going on now is beyond that...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Cathy Newman ‏@cathynewman 53m53 minutes ago

A day or so ago Radio 4 reported that Cameron said he was praying for Elliot Johnson and his family....yet he couldn't be arsed, in the six weeks since the young man's death to phone the family ?
Oh I do hope if there's a God he'll smite our mealy mouthed politicians with the biggest bolt of lightening he can conjure up.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Hello.

When I received the news yesterday, I wasn't quite clear whether or not we were expected to keep this a bit out of the "public" eye until such time as the family had found out more details of the circumstances and so on - although I got the (possibly wrong) impression that we were. Can't blame you for asking, though. I wondered, myself. Perhaps we'll soon get more news on what the best way forward is.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I've had a message from someone else suggesting the family would not want messages and emails sent as obviously things are very upsetting enough at the moment for them.

So maybe the best thing to do is to ask people not to contact them via her email.
Not sure who has those contact details anyway.

Sorry if I've done the wrong thing. Not for the first time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see Hodges has penned another of his Labour gloom n doomers. It has been a 'black day' for us apparently but 'now there is hope'.

I'm not posting his tweet and link here - just because, well you know why.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

You would have thought that after the election, the "it's all labour's fault" would have appeared to be too ridiculous to use any longer but no...

This one really is too much - teachers survey results out last February - the response...silence until two moths ago when they set up three teams to look at different issues and report back...middle of next year.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:
It's already got one...

Nah.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

jaydeepee ‏@reddeviljp 8m8 minutes ago

'Inside the PLP there has now been a round of applause. But we don’t know for who, or for what.' Top reporting from Guardian gobshites. :clap:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: It's already got one...

Nah.
Yeah. And haunting Tories...
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:jaydeepee ‏@reddeviljp 8m8 minutes ago

'Inside the PLP there has now been a round of applause. But we don’t know for who, or for what.' Top reporting from Guardian gobshites. :clap:

Maybe some bugger managed to turn off their phone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Please write anything you'd like.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Cathy Newman ‏@cathynewman 53m53 minutes ago

I've been sat here drinking a cup of tea trying to picture Dave praying. :sick:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... dApp_Tweet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Airstrikes in Syria are lawful, but I’ll be voting against them
Keir Starmer
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:jaydeepee ‏@reddeviljp 8m8 minutes ago

Maybe some bugger managed to turn off their phone.
That's something else I wouldn't tolerate. Trying to discuss something and people prodding away at their phones instead of listening. If they can't leave their phones alone for a short while they don't need to stay....

It's bloody rude.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.thenational.scot/news/nato-g ... 1448879652" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nato general Sir Richard Shirreff warns air strikes on Syria are useless.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Links not to be seen as necessarilly endorsements.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pull yourselves together, Labour moderates, and stop the sneering
Tom Baldwin
The Syria vote is not the time for party politics. Both wings of the party need to cut out the plotting
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... y-politics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pretty seering about all participants in the internal shenanigans. Gives more detail about some of the stuff that has been going on - which gets hinted at in tweets but never gets actually said.

I hope this last section is taken note of by those who have any influence.
... But too many moderate party figures who should know better are going round telling people how they “cannot bring themselves” to vote for Sadiq Khan as London mayor next year or even how they want Ukip to win the Oldham by-election. They say such sacrifices are necessary to hasten Corbyn’s demise. But in this, as with their sense of frustrated entitlement, they are beginning to resemble 1980s-era Trots who wanted unemployment to rise so they could get their revolution.

They will not win back the Labour party this way. The next time you hear someone complaining about entryism or the influx of new members, ask them how many they have signed up recently or whether they have yet registered a supporter? I’ve tried. The answer is usually “none”. Instead, modernisers appear to be indulging in “exitism”, as thousands flee the Labour party and reduce their influence still further.

It was they who have always lectured the party about how “the road to renewal offers no shortcuts”. So they should learn from Corbyn’s success in attracting new members, make a principled case for their progressive politics, dare to be best and boldest with new ideas on tackling inequality and security, plant their flag in the wide open spaces of the soft left where Tony Blair and Gordon Brown started out, stop sneering at other people’s idealism, and show they are ready to deal with the Labour party as it is rather than as they would wish it to be. There may come a time when a leadership challenge is needed and sustainable, but not until they have rebuilt their ideas and their organisation...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thousands of cancer patients 'too poor to celebrate Christmas'
The survey by Macmillan found people with cancer have to miss out on family events because of monetary worries
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I was thinking today that I don't understand why some of those who are so unhappy with Corbyn as leader and the shift away from the Blair / Brown fulcrum of politics (I honestly don't know what to call that now - moderate, neo liberal, right of centre, centre left - take your pick) think it will help their cause to demolish any semblance of party unity - and reduce the membership and standing - and, as a result, probably the number of Labour MPs, councillors and other elected reps.

Wouldn't you want to try and work out what was needed to get your message across better to the membership - be seen to work hard to bridge the gap between membership and PLP - build a stronger party that's better able to accept and support a new leader if and when the time comes? Why do some seem to think a wrecked party will help their cause?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Parker ‏@GeorgeWParker 2m2 minutes ago
Lib dems still discussing whether to back war. Epic meeting. Told that @timfarron persuaded by Cameron case. Big party shift from Iraq 2003?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Diana Johnson Retweeted
steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 13m13 minutes ago
Junior Docs strike called off ACAS confirm - it appears the strike threat suspended until January 13th to allow more talks to take place