Tuesday 1st December 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 1st December 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Re: Tuesday 1st December 2015

Post by seeingclearly »

Something heartwarming to start the day.

Wisdom.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... dway-atoll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

This is quite interesting. The point that stopping competition among schools has improved standards deserves a wide audience.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ols-ofsted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

'The Thatcherite pressure group at the heart of the Tory bullying scandal'
https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/12/ ... g-scandal/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

'Tory MPs wined and dined at restaurant paid for by ‘independent’ Tory bullying inquiry lawyers'
https://tompride.wordpress.com/2015/11/ ... y-lawyers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Culture of bullying endemic in the Conservative party, Elliot Johnson's father just telling Radio 4.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Glad to hear Benn ignoring the goading from Nick Robinson to trash Corbyn. Not so sure about the I'm voting for, though I don't know what it is exactly I'm voting for position though.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

The case for bombing ISIS: Explained

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11 ... 1448889978" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Double posted.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

How disabled benefit claimants are being set up for sanctions.

(There is a really good comment about the sheer futility of a lot of job centre related activity by the author btl.)

http://www.katebelgrave.com/2015/11/how ... sanctions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone. If I'm given any more news, I'll share it with you. How could I not? You're real FTN family.
The sun looks like it's trying to show itself a bit...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... et-surplus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Osborne reliant on rising immigration levels to achieve budget surplus
Guardian analysis shows that without recent upward revisions of net migration numbers, chancellor would not achieve budget surplus by 2019-20
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:Something heartwarming to start the day.

Wisdom.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... dway-atoll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Incredible!
The world’s oldest living tracked bird has returned to US soil to lay an egg at the sprightly age of 64.

Wisdom, a Laysan albatross, was spotted at the Midway Atoll national wildlife refuge with a mate, following a year’s absence. It’s expected that Wisdom will use the world’s largest nesting albatross colony, located north-west of Hawaii in the Pacific Ocean, to raise another chick.

The new arrival complements an impressive brood; researchers estimate that Wisdom has raised as many as 36 chicks in her lifetime. Wisdom was first tagged with a band in 1956. Given that Laysan albatross do not return to breed until they are at least five years old, it’s estimated that Wisdom is 64 years old, although she could be older.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Glad to hear Benn ignoring the goading from Nick Robinson to trash Corbyn. Not so sure about the I'm voting for, though I don't know what it is exactly I'm voting for position though.
Thank you for putting it like that - this has been troubling me for a while - we're regularly assaulted with blarting reports of 'I'm voting this way' (Labour only, natch - for the MSM to say anything remotely destabilising to the Torycide would cause an implosion) when they've not had a debate about the actual proposals, as presented by HMG in a motion....so how is it that they know what they're going to do BEFORE the debate? Do they 'know' that nothing in the debate could possibly sway their view? If so, why bother with the debate?

I know, I know - I'm one of those old dinosaurs that thinks that something as important as war should be debated in public, with our representatives actually assessing the facts and evidence in a historical context and, as much as possible the foreseeable consequences, before deciding for or against...and I'm aware that that'll never do :roll: (There is a little bit of Hope (just north of Peterborough) that says this could be a Labour trap, where Benn, Watson et al say 'well, we would vote for it but it doesn't make sense' ;) )

On the Cayman Islands (last night), I'll re-link this letter from Ed Miliband to the authorities there....

Dear xxx

More than 18 months ago, David Cameron announced that you and he had reached agreement on increasing transparency around the ownership of companies based in your jurisdictions. This was to reduce the opportunity for them to be used for tax avoidance, evasion and other illegal activity.

He said that you and he would focus on beneficial ownership, and that you would publish the true owners of shell companies based in your jurisdictions. He claimed that this was a “very positive step forward” ahead of the G8 meeting in June 2013, and followed it up with a letter saying that

“Beneficial ownership and public access to a central register is key to improving the transparency of company ownership and vital to meeting the urgent challenges of illicit finance and tax evasion”.

However, since then no Overseas Territory or Crown Dependency has produced a publicly accessible central register of beneficial ownership. And, despite his initial enthusiasm, David Cameron has done nothing to ensure that they are produced.

Ahead of the General Election in May, I am writing to put you on notice that a Labour government will not allow this situation of delay and secrecy to continue. Labour will act on tax avoidance where the Tories will not.

All UK Overseas Territories or Crown Dependencies will have to produce a publicly accessible central register of beneficial ownership within six months of the election of a Labour government. If any Overseas Territory or Crown Dependency does not meet this deadline, we will ask the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) to put them on the OECD’s tax haven blacklist.

Yours sincerely,

Ed Miliband

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1102824 ... oks-in-six

...outlining specific action if the request is ignored....shame Corbyn's so uselessawfulhopelessdelusionalbackedbyhardleftcommunistredsunderthebeds, otherwise we might debate why Clouncy Funt can't do this (with the backing of the OECD)...

..and, while I'm at it, perhaps he/they could produce all of the facts and evidence that show things like PFI to have been a success, over and above a system where the Treasury just magic up the money (instead of the banks) to pay the contractors and then for the staff and maintenance (placing funds semi-directly into the local economy)...ah, but then again, I'm just a Trotskyite-Leninist-Stalinist-Maoist loony leftard (and deluded, to boot!).

A quick thought on Benn Snr and the derision continually heading his way - I was not around (I was out of the country) 80-83 so I can't really speak for what happened, but I do know that the parliamentary convention of being respectful of your opponents and not slagging them off as soon as you gain office, was kicked into the middle of the next century by the incoming Thatcherites in '79 (and was called out at the time as divisive)...and that any economic policy written before that by a Social Democrat would have had the vast resources of North Sea Oil factored in, with a focus on how that revenue could be used to the benefit of all citizens (a la Norway)...and, at the time, the social fabric built by the post-War consensus still existed...to pretend that everything 'Old Labour' did was 'bad'/terrible' is to view history through the Murkydochian Mist.

BTW - Gove has history in mentioning Mao and the Long March in Parliament (possibly mentioned here before?)...cue howls of derision and anger at his support for a dictator who killed millions....no?...oh....

(Again - anecdotal - I have had conversations with Chinese citizens whose eyes fill with tears of love when discussing Mao, and who, unlike supporters of the Thatcherite Torycide, will accept criticism of what he did)

Having re-read that, I feel I should apologise for name calling (mostly aimed at myself though) and tenuous topical linkages (but mostly just apologise for my own long-winded blartiness) :oops:

ttfn
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Huff Post piece about the PLP meeting.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/11 ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shadow Foreign Secretary Hilary Benn, who had earlier at the Shadow Cabinet warned he was prepared to call for action against ISIL even ‘from the backbenches’, also won applause at the PLP for saying Labour’s internationalist credentials were at stake.
So that's it, preserving Labour's internationalist credentials is what it's about. How depressing.

Some of us might think preserving the UK's international pretensions is what Cameron's trying to do.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I suppose others have also seen today's Metro front page? It really is true this time, satire is officially dead.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Cameron's favourite bar

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/ne ... droom_tax/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Family of severely disabled Blackburn teen twice forced to leave specially adapted homes due to bedroom tax
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
The eight Lib Dem MPs will meet later today to decide how they will vote in tomorrow’s Syria debate. According to the BBC, they are minded to support the government. (Politics Live, Guardian)
How times change, eh?

Anyway, shouldn't that read "mindlessly to support the government"?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bad timing.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 01 Dec, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Just had my first ever Christmas card from my constituency mp, Sir Alan Meale who has been elected here since 1987. Delivered first class in a HOC envelope, which is a tad strange as I am not a member, I paid my three quid to vote for JC earlier in the year :) Nice thought though.
ScreenShot01158.jpg
ScreenShot01158.jpg (93.03 KiB) Viewed 8455 times
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

" The Prime Minister had been expected to make the announcement on Heathrow expansion this week.

However, party sources indicated that it would now be delayed because of the Commons vote on Syria. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviatio ... ision.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Handy. Can he kick the can far enough down the road until he's no longer PM?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... se-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The benefits cap on carers is discriminatory and a false economy
Patrick Butler
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/public-leade ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal credit is undermining even the Tory ambition to make work pay
Emily Thornberry
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Letter from Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, to the Prime Minister, seeking clarity on two questions ahead of a vote on Syrian military action
"...It is incumbent upon you as the Prime Minister to listen and engage with colleagues and to answer the legitimate questions I have raised on their behalf.

I do not believe you have given proper time to build consensus. As Jeremy Corbyn has made clear, parliament needs more time to make a considered decision on whether air strikes can take place. Only then can MPs from all parties confidently articulate that decision to their constituents and the British people."

Yours sincerely,

Tom Watson
Deputy Leader of the Labour Party

December 1, 2015 (10:29 am)

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1343252 ... der-of-the
The entire letter is linked above.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

citizenJA wrote:Letter from Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, to the Prime Minister, seeking clarity on two questions ahead of a vote on Syrian military action
"...It is incumbent upon you as the Prime Minister to listen and engage with colleagues and to answer the legitimate questions I have raised on their behalf.

I do not believe you have given proper time to build consensus. As Jeremy Corbyn has made clear, parliament needs more time to make a considered decision on whether air strikes can take place. Only then can MPs from all parties confidently articulate that decision to their constituents and the British people."

Yours sincerely,

Tom Watson

Bostin :clap: (Good to see the 70,000 taking prominence)
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Lonewolfie wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Letter from Tom Watson, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party, to the Prime Minister, seeking clarity on two questions ahead of a vote on Syrian military action

Yours sincerely,

Tom Watson

Bostin :clap: (Good to see the 70,000 taking prominence)
It's a good, well-phrased letter.

However, in response to this:
Your assertion that experts say there are ‘approximately 70,000 Syrian opposition fighters on the ground who do not belong to extremist groups’ has been widely challenged. Please could you explain, in detail, how this figure was compiled? The Chair of the Defence Select Committee said in the chamber that he was “extremely surprised” by this figure. His views carry great weight on both sides of the House. Are you able to explain to him, to me and others how the 70,000 figure can be used with confidence and provide more detail about where they are located?
I can imagine David Cameron saying that the answer's "a secret".

Edited to add -

On the basis that it would be putting our "allies" in jeopardy.
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 01 Dec, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Full text of the Syria motion

Here is the full text of the Syria motion.

That this house notes that ISIL poses a direct threat to the United Kingdom; welcomes United Nations Security Council Resolution 2249 which determines that ISIL constitutes an ‘unprecedented threat to international peace and security’ and calls on states to take ‘all necessary measures’ to prevent terrorist acts by ISIL and to ‘eradicate the safe haven they have established over significant parts of Iraq and Syria’; further notes the clear legal basis to defend the UK and our allies in accordance with the UN Charter; notes that military action against ISIL is only one component of a broader strategy to bring peace and stability to Syria; welcomes the renewed impetus behind the Vienna talks on a ceasefire and political settlement; welcomes the Government’s continuing commitment to providing humanitarian support to Syrian refugees; underlines the importance of planning for post-conflict stabilisation and reconstruction in Syria; welcomes the Government’s continued determination to cut ISIL’s sources of finance, fighters, and weapons; notes the requests from France, the US and regional allies for UK military assistance; acknowledges the importance of seeking to avoid civilian causalities; using the UK’s particular capabilities; notes the Government’s will not deploy UK troops in ground combat operations; welcomes the Government’s commitment to provide quarterly progress reports to the House; and accordingly supports Her Majesty’s Government in taking military action, specifically airstrikes, exclusively against ISIL in Syria; and offers its wholehearted support to Her Majesty’s Armed Forces. (Politics Live, Guardian)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Keith Joseph a staunch supporter of the carer movement and fight for benefits/allowances for such activity,by the way.I wonder what he would have thought about such wrecking.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
The eight Lib Dem MPs will meet later today to decide how they will vote in tomorrow’s Syria debate. According to the BBC, they are minded to support the government. (Politics Live, Guardian)
How times change, eh?

Well, depends who you believe. BBC reported yesterday they would vote against, Channel 4 said in favour.

This suggests to me they could be (quite literally, even) split down the middle. Seriously, what happens if it is 4 all - Farron casting vote?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
How times change, eh?

Well, depends who you believe. BBC reported yesterday they would vote against, Channel 4 said in favour.

This suggests to me they could be (quite literally, even) split down the middle. Seriously, what happens if it is 4 all - Farron casting vote?
Oh well,Party in disarray,need a new leader etc etc.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

refitman wrote:Morning all.
I've sent you a pm.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Extra time,then penalties.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

For information only. The Scottish perspective. Not endorsing or condemning this piece, it is what it is.

http://www.thenational.scot/comment/car ... bour.10586" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... se-economy

The benefits cap on carers is discriminatory and a false economy
Patrick Butler
Only five comments below the line. The contents in the article, including the destruction of UK social security provision, is more likely have a direct impact on the lives and well-being of the people of the UK than what is currently monopolising media and government attention. It's not that I don't think Syria and military actions shouldn't be debated, I think it should, calmly, taking time enough to do was is good to do.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Caroline Lucas very good on DP today. Although, I am less hopeful on Paris than she is and restricting to 2.7' warming is devastating. Governments need to match words with actions, and the deal needs to be enforced not voluntary. As soon as there is any trouble the green crap will get cut.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

re: LadyCentauria

I hadn't been on the forum for long, but LadyCentauria pm'd me shortly before the election,
having picked up that I lived in the same area as her Fathers family had come from.
She gave her Grandfathers address and it turned out to be at end of our garden,
it's a small world & we agreed to take it as a good omen.
- this was on May 7th, so election results & subsequent events look to have proved otherwise :(

YahYah asked yesterday, if we should be paying respects to LadyCentauria,
I wasn't sure until then that she'd passed away, but had suspected from her silence & from the posts of others.

I don't know if LadyCentauria was active in other forums, or areas
but flythenest was obvously dear to her,
and I suspect her family would be comforted to know how much her wisdom, humour & caring words were appreciated
and that she will be greatly missed.

Posts that spring to mind are the detailed descriptions of the solar & lunar eclipses,
The speculative ancestry of Spinning Hugo (descended from Spinning Jenny)
And as mentioned yesterday, the list of cakes/snacks.

- I hope one day it will be accepted that cake can be shared over a distance (Quantum Tunnelling effect), but until then it was delicious.

Anyway she gave some other family names who'd lived in our road, (in case neighbours remembered them)
and had fond memories of the local area & the view from her Grandfathers house,
It's a spectacular view & i'll remember her when I look at it.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

The climate conference and the corporate lobbyists dressed in green.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/uk/adam-r ... eg.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Rebecca wrote:
refitman wrote:Morning all.
I've sent you a pm.
I've not received anything. Can you check your Outbox is showing (1)?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinybgoat wrote:re: LadyCentauria

I hadn't been on the forum for long, but LadyCentauria pm'd me shortly before the election,
having picked up that I lived in the same area as her Fathers family had come from.
She gave her Grandfathers address and it turned out to be at end of our garden,
it's a small world & we agreed to take it as a good omen.
- this was on May 7th, so election results & subsequent events look to have proved otherwise :(

YahYah asked yesterday, if we should be paying respects to LadyCentauria,
I wasn't sure until then that she'd passed away, but had suspected from her silence & from the posts of others.

I don't know if LadyCentauria was active in other forums, or areas
but flythenest was obvously dear to her,
and I suspect her family would be comforted to know how much her wisdom, humour & caring words were appreciated
and that she will be greatly missed.

Posts that spring to mind are the detailed descriptions of the solar & lunar eclipses,
The speculative ancestry of Spinning Hugo (descended from Spinning Jenny)
And as mentioned yesterday, the list of cakes/snacks.

- I hope one day it will be accepted that cake can be shared over a distance (Quantum Tunnelling effect), but until then it was delicious.

Anyway she gave some other family names who'd lived in our road, (in case neighbours remembered them)
and had fond memories of the local area & the view from her Grandfathers house,
It's a spectacular view & i'll remember her when I look at it.

Cake, like love, has no bounds in time or space. :heart:
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

December 1st 1955. Montgomery, Alabama. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white passenger and remove herself to the coloured section of the bus.

(Did sixty years really go that fast?)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1343291 ... t-that-the" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is clear from today’s OFWAT report that the Tory Government has failed to protect many of the country’s more vulnerable households in water poverty - Alex Cunningham

Alex Cunningham MP, Labour’s Shadow Minister for the Natural Environment, responding to the OFWAT report.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/publication/aff ... t-2014-15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

''Archbishop of Wales Barry Morgan urges Wales' MPs to vote against bombing so-called Islamic State in Syria

The Anglican leader says the strike does not meet the criteria for a just war''

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/polit ... s-10530898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

seeingclearly wrote:December 1st 1955. Montgomery, Alabama. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white passenger and remove herself to the coloured section of the bus.

Jeremy Corbyn was on Jeremy Vine show & finished by paying tribute to her.
Like many others I didn't vote for him, but he's a good man.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Goodness counts for nothing these days unfortunately.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

seeingclearly wrote:December 1st 1955. Montgomery, Alabama. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to a white passenger and remove herself to the coloured section of the bus.

Hard to believe that happened (just) in my lifetime.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:Caroline Lucas very good on DP today. Although, I am less hopeful on Paris than she is and restricting to 2.7' warming is devastating. Governments need to match words with actions, and the deal needs to be enforced not voluntary. As soon as there is any trouble the green crap will get cut.
Sure, but how would she get anybody else to agree to it?

This is where stuff like messing the EU about with silly referendums (as she has supported for ages) would be a problem.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tenuous link,my parents got married in the same month,wasn't on a bus though.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

tinybgoat wrote:

Jeremy Corbyn was on Jeremy Vine show & finished by paying tribute to her.
Like many others I didn't vote for him, but he's a good man.
I heard that - he spoke very movingly.

Also worth noting that most of the comments following JC's interview were in agreement with him, despite Jeremy Vine's best efforts to undermine him. Interestingly quite a few saying they'd never voted Labour but supported his stance on not bombing. Seems as if people might be making their own minds up about Corbyn.
Last edited by nickyinnorfolk on Tue 01 Dec, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.