Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th December 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 5th & Sunday 6th December 2015

Post by yahyah »

Off now for some reading, see you all tomorrow.

Just want to apologise for the early morning grumpiness to TE.
As I said yesterday, I find myself having to take a more extreme position than I sometimes feel just because the 'Corbyn is the worst thing since...' stuff is just so frustrating.

Just give him a chance. It's not even four months. Is that too much to ask when he has the support of so many members. We/they are the people who do the work, or pay the donations, and put the votes on our ballot papers.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
My husband has just offered to make me some cinnamon toast.
Cheerful, thoughtful...he sets an example for me, helping me demonstrate thoughtful cheerfulness towards him and others.
I wish for you all to have loving friends and family surrounding you, sustaining you.
We're human and we'll sometimes disagree...this is normal though it's frustrating.
We'll work it out.

I haven't read everyone's posts yet - I left here early yesterday evening and I'll try to catch up.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Rebecca wrote:I am being bullied.
My daughter has just told me,twice,that she wishes I would pass on.Ok,dear,said I.
'I mean die!'she told me,just in case I am too thick to understand the pass on thing.
Should I call the police?

No.

Do what Danzcuk does.

See if there are any death threats on your Facebook/Twitter thingie. Say absolutely nothing for a while.

Wait until someone claims they have been threatened because of how they voted. Get very outraged.

Claim you have had dozens of death threats for the same reason, ignore the dates of these unspecified alleged threats, then pretend that they are all to do with the way you voted but you were too brave to acknowledge the leftist bullies.

It works for him.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Off now for some reading, see you all tomorrow.

Just want to apologise for the early morning grumpiness to TE.
As I said yesterday, I find myself having to take a more extreme position than I sometimes feel just because the 'Corbyn is the worst thing since...' stuff is just so frustrating.

Just give him a chance. It's not even four months. Is that too much to ask when he has the support of so many members. We/they are the people who do the work, or pay the donations, and put the votes on our ballot papers.
Enjoy your day, yahyah.

:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
Rebecca wrote:I am being bullied.
My daughter has just told me,twice,that she wishes I would pass on.Ok,dear,said I.
'I mean die!'she told me,just in case I am too thick to understand the pass on thing.
Should I call the police?
No.

Do what Danzcuk does.

See if there are any death threats on your Facebook/Twitter thingie. Say absolutely nothing for a while.

Wait until someone claims they have been threatened because of how they voted. Get very outraged.

Claim you have had dozens of death threats for the same reason, ignore the dates of these unspecified alleged threats, then pretend that they are all to do with the way you voted but you were too brave to acknowledge the leftist bullies.

It works for him.....
Danzcuk needs some counselling - he requires work with a trustworthy therapist able to show him finer strategies for working with and for others. It might be best Danzcuk leave his position of responsibility - better for himself, his constituents, country and world.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 11m11 minutes ago
This week, @Steve_Rotheram & I will present a new dossier of evidence to Parliament on the "Shrewsbury 24" 1/2

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 9m9 minutes ago
It will cast serious doubt on safety of the convictions & reveal a 'show trial' orchestrated from top of Tory Govt > http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ke-pickets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Some good news - hoping Irranca-Davies gets elected (and the other Labour candidate, of course).
Welsh Labour ‏@welshlabour 45m45 minutes ago
Congratulations @IrrancaDaviesMP and @VikkiHowells, Welsh Labour candidates for Ogmore and Cynon Valley
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Rebecca wrote:So,Tristram Hunt has told Jeremy Corbyn,his boss,not to attend the Stop The War christmas fundraiser.Via Andrew Marr on national TV.
When will these people learn the very basics of good manners?If he has a problem with Corbyns' dinner engagements,how about sitting down and discussing it in private?
They will use any excuse to show their disrespect,but whine when they think Corbyn wants rid of them.
You're right, private consultation between Jeremy Corbyn and Tristram Hunt over this matter is advisable.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

About time there was some discipline in the party. Thatch didn't stand for any dissent.[youtube]jINZBOxdja8[/youtube]
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

[youtube]AGl6lHUbsg0[/youtube]
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:http://aanirfan.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/ ... -isis.html

I'd like a little less limelight on Corbyn and more on issues like this.

Be careful with that site OhSo.

Some of their article postings are Extra Big Tin Foil Hat, with stuff about Britney Spears being controlled by the CIA and sickening helpings of anti-Jewish stuff regarding child abuse etc.
I only read that one article...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:http://aanirfan.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/ ... -isis.html

I'd like a little less limelight on Corbyn and more on issues like this.

Some of their article postings are Extra Big Tin Foil Hat, with stuff about Britney Spears being controlled by the CIA and sickening helpings of anti-Jewish stuff regarding child abuse etc.
Reading some of that blog, I'd take anything written there with a massive pinch of salt and two other, reputable, sources.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Reading some of that blog, I'd take anything written there with a massive pinch of salt and two other, reputable, sources.
Or sauces, to continue the condiment theme.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Was assured when Mr Ohso was discharged they'd organise a porter to wheel him to the car park. All I needed to do was wait for hm at reception. Didn't happen. I got very hot and bothered having to find a chair. Luckily our son who was waiting at the pick up point came to look for us because I'd never have pushed Mr Ohso from one side of the hospital to the other or in and out of lifts...

He's home now on the sofa catching a shed load of flies. Think the next bit is going to be very fraught. I've already had to shush him up. He's used up all his good temper on the nurses and doctors...I lost mine walking endless miles of corridors hunting for a damn wheelchair.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The roof is being fixed but beware the house crashing beneath it
Larry Elliott (Guardian)
Interesting article. And worrying, if you're anyone other than George Osborne who seems impervious to any sense of realism.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... sh-beneath

Edited "d" for "y"
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 06 Dec, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Subject to agreement and barring technological difficulties,there will coverage of the meeting about Syria in Walthamstow(S.Creasy constituency)after 4.If so I will put link here.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

I have been reading the Gs Storm Desmond live blog.
The FBU have put the boot into Mr Cameron quite beautifully;
'David Cameron has tweeted his sympathy for the thousands of people affected by the storm.Yet our fire and rescue service is being cut to pieces and the prime minister turns a blind eye to the results'......
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Rebecca wrote:So,Tristram Hunt has told Jeremy Corbyn,his boss,not to attend the Stop The War christmas fundraiser.Via Andrew Marr on national TV.
When will these people learn the very basics of good manners?If he has a problem with Corbyns' dinner engagements,how about sitting down and discussing it in private?
They will use any excuse to show their disrespect,but whine when they think Corbyn wants rid of them.
Moreover why didn't he do it three weeks ago when we first heard about it (might have been earlier, for all I know).
Wasn't it always the form that if a presenter asked an MP about another MP, the answer was always, sorry but I can't answer for another person?

When did that change?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Taiwan release video on ISIS which includes a shot of Cameron stood on a plane whist simultaneously enjoying a bit of pork .
ScreenShot01215cc.jpg
ScreenShot01215cc.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 5855 times
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The airstrikes debate: once more unto the breach – of good taste

David Mitchell(Guardian)
A good piece, I think. Eloquently sums up the dilemma which a lot of people recognise in relation to the Syria issue, and wittily lampoons some of the politicians involved. David Mitchell has been writing some thoughtful stuff recently.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... enn-speech
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Full vid [youtube]X40R5BUC9SQ[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 61541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
perceptions of demographics - a 33-country study
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:
Larry Elliott (Guardian)
Interesting article. And worrying, if you're anyone other than George Osborne who seems impervious to any sense of realism.

Edited "d" for "y"
I haven't read the article yet but the title reminds me, a comment btl at the G the other day on an article about Cameron.
Poster said Dave was the facade behind which the work was being hidden, when he goes and the facade comes down, the work will be finished and it will be too late.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

gilsey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Larry Elliott (Guardian)

Edited "d" for "y"
I haven't read the article yet but the title reminds me, a comment btl at the G the other day on an article about Cameron.
Poster said Dave was the facade behind which the work was being hidden, when he goes and the facade comes down, the work will be finished and it will be too late.
I've always maintained that he's just the front-man. He's not very good at it in my view but, alarmingly and almost unbelievably, he's managed to fool enough people to get by.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

... Iain Duncan Smith, the work and pensions secretary and MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, described the attack as an abomination. He told BBC1’s Andrew Marr Show: “This is my borough. It grieves me to think that this kind of incident took place there. I know the police work incredibly hard, we have an anti-gangs programme there … It is an abomination to think of somebody doing this whatever the circumstances are. This is one of the good reasons why under the spending review we haven’t cut the police budget and the police will get the money necessary to secure the areas most threatened from terrorist attacks...
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ror-motive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit of a cheek eh. He's not actually the MP for the Leytonstone area. And the Tories / Osborne were shamed into not cutting the police budget this time around. Talk about braggado.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
... Iain Duncan Smith, the work and pensions secretary and MP for Chingford and Woodford Green, described the attack as an abomination. He told BBC1’s Andrew Marr Show: “This is my borough. It grieves me to think that this kind of incident took place there. I know the police work incredibly hard, we have an anti-gangs programme there … It is an abomination to think of somebody doing this whatever the circumstances are. This is one of the good reasons why under the spending review we haven’t cut the police budget and the police will get the money necessary to secure the areas most threatened from terrorist attacks...
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... ror-motive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bit of a cheek eh. He's not actually the MP for the Leytonstone area. And the Tories / Osborne were shamed into not cutting the police budget this time around. Talk about braggado.
So he was lying when he said, "This is my borough"?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

The bridge at Pooley Bridge is gone.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Not quite but it's a little misleading.

His constituency covers LB of Waltham Forest and LB of Redbridge but most MPs wouldn't talk of "my borough" because they're not local councillors and their constituencies can overlap local government ones.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Part of his Chingford Woodford Green constituency is in Waltham Forest - the same borough as Leytonstone - the rest is in Redbridge borough. But the MP for Leytonstone is John Cryer - a Labour MP.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
gilsey wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Interesting article. And worrying, if you're anyone other than George Osborne who seems impervious to any sense of realism.

Edited "d" for "y"
I've always maintained that he's just the front-man. He's not very good at it in my view but, alarmingly and almost unbelievably, he's managed to fool enough people to get by.
Inept leadership suits big business and lobbyist's down to the ground. They don't want someone with principles who might block their agenda...
I think that's probably why Corbyn has caused such a furore.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently there is coverage of Creasy meeting,but promised link didn't materialise,I cannot find it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Watson 'clarifies' his remarks on the protest outside Stella Creasy's constituency office.
Tom Watson
1 hr ·
I want to clarify comments I made on Friday about demonstrators who gathered outside the constituency office of my fellow Labour MP Stella Creasy last week to protest against extending air strikes to Syria. There was some confusion about the events surrounding that demonstration. It was falsely reported on social media that some protestors marched on Stella’s home, but Stella subsequently made clear there is no evidence that happened. Stella expressed concern about the harassment her staff members were subjected to, writing on social media that she missed parts of the Parliamentary debate on air strikes because she felt she needed to leave the chamber to check they were OK. But it is also now clear that her staff weren’t in her constituency office when the march took place. When I spoke out about MPs and their staff being intimidated, I wrongly believed that they were inside the building at the time. That was just an honest mistake I corrected as soon as I realised I’d made it. To be clear, it is not my view that Labour party members who attended that peaceful demonstration should be kicked out of the party. Everyone has the right to express their views freely and peacefully. But I remain concerned about reports of intimidation against MPs and the people they employ, including Stella’s staff. As our leader Jeremy Corbyn has made clear, Labour party members need to treat each other respectfully. The party should examine cases where those standards of behaviour aren’t met and take appropriate action if necessary. But party members who demonstrated outside Stella’s office need to know that I support their right to do so.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Possible that very public querying of his previous stance by Monbiot on Any Questions actually got back to him? Anyway, glad he's checked the facts now and issued this.

It's a lesson to us all - yet again - to try to establish as much fact about a situation before you agree to comment on it. Or very clearly state up front that you don't know the facts ... and be careful what you say.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

More thoughts of Smith, I'm afraid . . . .
“We cannot let these sorts of people, terrorists etc, dominate our space. The way we defeat them at the end of the day is that our values, our freedom of expression … the freedom capitalism brings to us – none of that must be curtailed. (Guardian - my emphasis)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good for him, tbf. It would have been all too easy for Watson to dig in and deny he needed to reassess his earlier claims.

Needless to say, others could learn from this example......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:More thoughts of Smith, I'm afraid . . . .
“We cannot let these sorts of people, terrorists etc, dominate our space. The way we defeat them at the end of the day is that our values, our freedom of expression … the freedom capitalism brings to us – none of that must be curtailed. (Guardian - my emphasis)
See - I find him quite terrifying - the breadth of assumption and entitlement and disregard for any adverse effect on others from his beliefs and approach is boundless.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@HindleA. Just popped up on Faisal Islam's timeline. No idea if this link works - yet.
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 2m2 minutes ago
Here @stellacreasy meeting re Syria vote Walthamstow: Watching LIVE on #Periscope: Untitled https://www.periscope.tv/w/aTRl_TEwMTA5 ... NP94v8Ci9Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Hmmm ....
220px-Capitalism_and_Freedom.jpg
220px-Capitalism_and_Freedom.jpg (16.67 KiB) Viewed 6030 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

After the last round of floods, and Cameron promising there was plenty of money, were flood defences strengthened and rivers dredged everywhere. or was it the normal, Tory, willy nilly patch job according to post code?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Simon Danczuk ‏@SimonDanczuk 19m19 minutes ago
Here's my column in @TheSun today about air strikes against ISIS & Labour, please do let me know what you think.

Chris Williamson ‏@ChriswMP 12m12 minutes ago
@SimonDanczuk @TheSun Don't buy the Sun, that's what I think Simon. Hope you're well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:After the last round of floods, and Cameron promising there was plenty of money, were flood defences strengthened and rivers dredged everywhere. or was it the normal, Tory, willy nilly patch job according to post code?
According to reports I've heard today the flood defences in the Carlisle / Cockermouth areas were strengthened but the improvements weren't sufficient to deal with the extreme weather we've just had. The top of the defence was breached by about 2 metres of water apparently. But the damage could have been far worse without the strengthening that had been done - and it did allow them to have more advance warning and do more to evacuate people.

Whether as much flood defence work has been done as should have been - as was planned under the previous Labour government - who knows. The coalition had cut back on flood defence budgets - that was established during the ghastly reign of King Canute Paterson at Defra.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Simon Danczuk ‏@SimonDanczuk 19m19 minutes ago
Here's my column in @TheSun today about air strikes against ISIS & Labour, please do let me know what you think.

Chris Williamson ‏@ChriswMP 12m12 minutes ago
@SimonDanczuk @TheSun Don't buy the Sun, that's what I think Simon. Hope you're well.
"That's not on Chris - you're bullying me!"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pearleen Sangha ‏@PearleenSangha 3m3 minutes ago
Man charged over MP Facebook messages
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35022119" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Isn't it time that David Cameron made some sort of (meaningful) pronouncement over the flooding? He makes pronouncements on just about everything else - but is strangely slow off the mark when the event is something that he, theoretically, has some influence over (I'm not talking about the weather, you understand, but the putting things right in its aftermath).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
"That's not on Chris - you're bullying me!"
I see Danczuk retweeting a piece in the Telegraph about John McDonnell being at a meeting where calls were made for Chuka Umunna to be deselected.

The 'story' was as follows: McDonnell went to a Momentum meeting. At the meeting, someone handed out literature saying Umunna should be deselected. This. Is. Not. Journalism. Anyone taking anything from the Telegraph at face value these days is either delusional or has an agenda. Anyone who should know better using their considerable public profile to spread such rubbish is shameful. Don't know why anyone should expect any better from Danczuk...
I see he's got twin tweeting and symbiotc retweeting going on with his new date Cllr Claire Hamilton. He seems to find some security in having a partner who is a councillor ... his ex was a councillor too until she resigned to concentrate on other things ... no doubt it helps with maintaining his profile and keeping up with the local political goss.

Does anyone know what his relationship is actually like with his CLP? Are they generally happy with the way he comports (fantastic word that) himself?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Man charged after "malicious" Facebook messages sent to MP

A man has been charged with malicious communications following an investigation into Facebook messages sent to an MP, the Met Police say.

Craig Wallace, 23, who is also known as Muhammad Mujahid Islam, was arrested at an address in north London.

He is due to appear at Hendon Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Labour MPs Simon Danczuk and Neil Coyle have reported alleged death threats to police following last week's Commons vote on UK air strikes in Syria. (BBC News website - 7 minutes ago)
And sheep may safely graze . . . .

Edited to add -

I haven't added a link because the above is the article in its entirety
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

In todays Indy,President Assad saying that 'RAF strikes are illegal and detrimental to current anti-terror operations undertaken by his regime'.He also flat out denies Camerons claim of a 70,000.00 moderate ground force,says not even 7000.00
Who to believe.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Benjamin Haddad ‏@benjaminhaddad 13m13 minutes ago Manhattan, NY
The National Front seems ahead in almost every region (except Paris IDF, Bretagne, Corsica, and Overseas Territories).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron to force public sector to pay for 200,000 apprentices

Manifesto pledge to deliver 3 million apprentices by 2020 to be met by asking large public bodies to ensure they are 2.3% of workforce (Guardian)
This might have made sense when the utilities were under public ownership or when there was much more in-house work (which is now out-sourced) in various government departments but I can't quite see how apprenticeships have a place in, say, the DWP. Apprentice Clerical Assistants (or whatever they're called nowadays)? But maybe I'm missing something.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... nticeships
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Does anyone know more about the number of hours that student nurses work during their training? It seems to me that there may be a case for legal challenge re the government changing their bursaries to loans. How can it be legal that you actually have to pay for providing services / work? And as the article in the G points out - they are not the same as many other students because the work they do as part of their training doesn't allow them the time to be earning from other jobs and supporting themselves that way.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Open Europe ‏@OpenEurope 2m2 minutes ago View translation
#France regional election exit poll: Marine Le Pen on 42.1% in Nord-Pas de Calais-Picardie. Huge. (@itele)

Open Europe ‏@OpenEurope 4m4 minutes ago
#France regional election exit poll (nationwide): Front National 30.6%, centre-right 27%, Socialist Party 22.7%. (@itele)