Tuesday 8th December 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 8th December 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Blather.

Blather, blather, blather, blath, blath, blath, blat, blat, bla, bla, bla.

He's a total blather pants. That's what he excels at.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:& he just had to mention he'd held a Cobra meeting.
It would be more worthy of highlighting that he hadn't! Ten a penny those Cobra meetings.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

A couple of headlines from the Independent that chill the cockles ...
Isis terrorists in Iraq and Syria 'may be using weapons exported to the Middle East by the UK'
Assault weapons sent from Britain to Iraq in the wake of 2003 invasion may have ended up in Isis's hands

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 64096.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Russian submarine armed with cruise missiles enters Mediterranean Sea near Syrian coast
The submarine can remain undetected under water for long periods of time, earning it the nickname 'black hole'

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 64946.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Devutopia ‏@D_Raval 10 hrs10 hours ago

Oh come on @BBCNews you can dig up what Corbyn said 35 years ago, surely you can find Cameron's 'money no object' for flood defence clip?

More
Joe Askew ‏@Papajoe1407 10 mins10 minutes ago

How magnanimous of this compassionate Tory government to tell Cumbrian residents that there's no need to pay council tax!
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Theresa Griffin MEP ‏@TheresaMEP 2 hrs2 hours ago

Labour MEPs have written to Cameron urging him to apply for EU solidarity funds for Cumbria and Lancashire
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Theresa Griffin MEP ‏@TheresaMEP 2 hrs2 hours ago

Labour MEPs have written to Cameron urging him to apply for EU solidarity funds for Cumbria and Lancashire

He may well feel that he has to do it this time - to bolster the usefulness of membership rather than playing the macho "Brit" (how I hate that word) - if he feels that his grip on the referendum outcome is slipping away from him.
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

Good evening. He's at it again isn't he. Who on earth is impressed by the little phrase?

I was holding my cobra on a dark winter's night
I like to chair my cobra for some porcine delight
Whether it's weather or bother head scratchings we make
Which pig's mouth will pleasure my one eyed trouser snake?

Doesn't scan, so I'm glad it's anonymous.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 18m18 minutes ago
Spectator: OBR suggests Cameron’s benefits row with EU leaders is a bit pointless http://specc.ie/1R7Rtak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So that will probably be Cameron's dissemble line when / if he doesn't get his way on this particular 'demand' - well it was pretty pointless anyway. The OBR found out that it really didn't make much difference ....

Or alternatively when Cameron wins this demand in a showy / deceptive way (i.e. by applying the same restrictions to British citizens thereby shafting young people even more) it will be hugely significant - a massive assertion of British control over our borders and entitlements.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 18m18 minutes ago
Spectator: OBR suggests Cameron’s benefits row with EU leaders is a bit pointless http://specc.ie/1R7Rtak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So that will probably be Cameron's dissemble line when / if he doesn't get his way on this particular 'demand' - well it was pretty pointless anyway. The OBR found out that it really didn't make much difference ....

Or alternatively when Cameron wins this demand in a showy / deceptive way (i.e. by applying the same restrictions to British citizens thereby shafting young people even more) it will be hugely significant - a massive assertion of British control over our borders and entitlements.
This was on AS...
Asked about Sir Stephen Nickell’s comment, the prime minister’s spokeswoman said:
The prime minister has been clear that the proposals we have been seeking are about addressing some of the pull factors that there are for EU migrants to come to work in Britain. If you look at the amount of in-work benefits they can access from day one, we think this is a pull factor that we can seek to address.
i.e. we're careful not to say that it definitely is because we can't prove it...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Have you just had your email from Jane Hutt re the Welsh Government's budget yahyah?

They're bigging up the extra funding for both health and social care. I hope that's going to be welcome news for a lot of communities and individuals.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Obama's speech reminded Americans that the war with Isis is still illegal.

Don't know if we had this yet, but it explains a lot to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ama-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Glenton ‏@joejglenton 1 hr1 hour ago

British Veterans Discard their Medals to Protest Airstrikes in Syria

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @NBCNews
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

And Italy decided to take a cautious approach.

Italy rules out joining Syria air strikes, says another strategy needed

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-midea ... R920151206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:Glenton ‏@joejglenton 1 hr1 hour ago

British Veterans Discard their Medals to Protest Airstrikes in Syria

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @NBCNews

Yes. A bunch of them were from Bromsgrove, which is very far from being a hotbed of trotskyite rebellion. I know it very well as it was the closest town to me for nearly a decade, have friends there still and it is where half my immediate family were educated. The last only left for uni this year. A small town that has high recruitment numbers. So I was surprised when a set of photos of some of these men came via Bromsgrove Momentum, with a lot of respect for the service they had seen.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sam Coates Times Retweeted
Arif Ansari ‏@ArifBBC 42m42 minutes ago
Told Michael Jones has resigned this evening as Conservative Leader of Cheshire East Council, following questions over contracts.
Contracts ... hmmmm. They seem to feature in Tory news this week.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Richard Woolley ‏@beingrichard 18 mins18 minutes ago

Osborne describing #Britain has having 'got its mojo' back through bombing #Syria reveals worst elements of male macho boys toys world view
I think in all my life this is the most callous, disgusting statement I've heard.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Evening All

Sorry I've still been a sporadic visitor so may have missed discussion on this.

Is IDS chomping at the bit to respond to the EU by saying that Brits won't be able to have benefits for 4 years either, so it's fair?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mark Watts ‏@MarkWatts_1 10 hrs10 hours ago

BREAKING: MPs summon top City regulators over ‘lack of action’ over HBOS collapse, Exaro reveals @ExaroNews.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5725/ ... -of-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Sliding towards disaster. How Universal Credit is already a failure.

https://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... a-failure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:

Osborne describing #Britain has having 'got its mojo' back through bombing #Syria reveals worst elements of male macho boys toys world view
I think in all my life this is the most callous, disgusting statement I've heard.
Read this as a Scottish headline early today. He declared this while in the US. Such a craven ****ing ba***rd. The rest of what he said was little better. Interestingly not anywhere I could find in the English press, unless behind a firewall.

Edired to include a link to the Herald article:

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/141297 ... r_strikes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by seeingclearly on Tue 08 Dec, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Caroline Lucas has resigned from Stop the War Coalition
Ruby StockhamRuby Stockham
Today
Green MP called stepping down 'the responsible thing to', as pressure mounts on Jeremy Corbyn
http://leftfootforward.org/2015/12/caro ... coalition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why Stop the War don’t want to listen to Syrians - Syria Solidarity

http://www.syriauk.org/2015/11/why-stop ... l?spref=tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most shocking thing about that, the chair who ignored the Syrians was Diane Abbott!!!

As those Syrians want the west to take action, they are the wrong sort of Syrians STW said. But apparently they have other Syrians they agree with.

FFS. Apparently they are the finest of British campaigning Democracy according to Corbyn. Must just be me who thinks they are a bunch of tossers who should be kicked to the curb.

Still good on Ms Lucas, well done I salute you.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:

Unbelievable isn't it. There are many reasons I believe we should be acting in Syria, for that cock to brag about Mojo is exactly none of them.

He is a complete arsehole.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

On the Momentum thing from earlier.

The response was a restatement of their public aims, a comment the reporter was a Tory causing trouble and a request not to report this sort of thing.

Not one contradiction on substance, so that one meeting went down exactly as reported.

John Harris, not my usual cup of tea has a rather more insightful piece.

To paraphrase it is all about deselection, for the old Labour crowd, not so much for the new members.

Perhaps they could just exclude everybody who left Labour because Neil Kinnock was too left wing. At least they would increase the intelligence of the movement.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... t-64767067
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Anybody want a 747? Amazing what you find lying around.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5715 ... 747-a.html
Release the Guardvarks.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Today
Green MP called stepping down 'the responsible thing to', as pressure mounts on Jeremy Corbyn
http://leftfootforward.org/2015/12/caro ... coalition/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.syriauk.org/2015/11/why-stop ... l?spref=tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most shocking thing about that, the chair who ignored the Syrians was Diane Abbott!!!

As those Syrians want the west to take action, they are the wrong sort of Syrians STW said. But apparently they have other Syrians they agree with.

FFS. Apparently they are the finest of British campaigning Democracy according to Corbyn. Must just be me who thinks they are a bunch of tossers who should be kicked to the curb.

So tell me, TE, because I would really like to understand where you are coming from on this: Do you support regime change in Syria, and our Government bombing Syria in order to remove Assad, because that is what is being called for..

I watched that meeting and that was the challenge being thrown down to STW. There are so many inconsistencies about Syria that there is no way that anyone, let alone serving politicians, can make up policy on the hoof. There are serious questions of legality as it is, and no mandate at all for regime change. Which leaves the position that Corbyn and STW have advocated, which is a political solution. Why ahould STW have to consult with the Syrian people when the government doesn't? They are not in a position to change things only to challenge them.

Instead of focussing on STW look at what the Syrian protester was actually saying, and her feelings on it, spoken with great conviction. And then ask yourself if STW or even our government can actually do what is being asked in a unilateral way. And then ask why we have not pushed for and supported a proper UN initiative that will include diplomatic and political action. Because what the Syrian woman speaker was wanting is completely impossible without that.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Anybody want a 747? Amazing what you find lying around.

I liked this reply:
Just park them on the grass beside a major roundabout with a price and a mobile number in the window.

They will go in no time flat.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Theresa Griffin MEP ‏@TheresaMEP 2 hrs2 hours ago

Good, I like that about being part of the EU.
'...by the strength of our common endeavour we achieve more than we achieve alone.'
Good-evening, everyone.
Apologies, I've not read the entire thread.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oops pt 165

Activist says Tory chair given bullying dossier in 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35047074
A 20-page dossier detailing a culture of bullying within the Conservative Party's youth wing was handed to party chairman Lord Feldman in 2010, according to a former activist.

The activist, who says he was himself a victim of bullying, told BBC Newsnight that the dossier was given by Ben Howlett, now an MP, to Lord Feldman.

Lord Feldman insists he was not aware of any complaints before August 2015.

Two activists involved in producing the document say it named Mark Clarke.
Oh dear...as usual it's not the action or inaction, it's the attempted cover-up that is the problem...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:On the Momentum thing from earlier.

The response was a restatement of their public aims, a comment the reporter was a Tory causing trouble and a request not to report this sort of thing.

Not one contradiction on substance, so that one meeting went down exactly as reported.

John Harris, not my usual cup of tea has a rather more insightful piece.

To paraphrase it is all about deselection, for the old Labour crowd, not so much for the new members.

Perhaps they could just exclude everybody who left Labour because Neil Kinnock was too left wing. At least they would increase the intelligence of the movement.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... t-64767067
"We need desperately to restore that fraying, emotional connection with working class communities –
just like Jim McMahon has done in Oldham....tackling inequality is the cause which can accomplish
that...[Inequality] impoverishes us all - including those at the top.

But only if we in the Labour Party rediscover our radicalism.

Our forebears created a decent working week, secure employment rights, the welfare state, public
education, the NHS, the minimum wage, slashed child poverty and secured a ‘fair day’s pay for a
fair day’s work’ for millions upon millions of working people down the decades - we were far more
ambitious than that.

This past must now guide our future.

It was one of the powerful elements in Jeremy Corbyn’s party conference speech. His argument that
we “don’t have to take what we’re given” when it comes to social justice was a clarifying moment.

...[M]odern challenges like globalisation, climate change, mass migration, capital mobility, asset
inflation and technological automation, do test the power of nation states like never before. For
far too long we on the centre-left have used them as an excuse for weak political will.

No more."

- Tristram Hunt
Labour MP for Stoke Central
7 December 2015

http://www.tristramhunt.com/labours_moral_mission
I've re-read Tristram Hunt's speech yesterday a few times. A commentator posting below your comment linked above has decided Tristram Hunt isn't sincere in his work for greater prosperity for everyone. I disagreed and posted part of his speech given yesterday above.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Good stuff from Hunt, but roundly slagged off.

More of this
It was one of the powerful elements in Jeremy Corbyn’s party conference speech. His argument that
we “don’t have to take what we’re given” when it comes to social justice was a clarifying moment.
And no deselection CND, STW stuff and Labour would be on to something.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

refitman wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Anybody want a 747? Amazing what you find lying around.

I liked this reply:
Just park them on the grass beside a major roundabout with a price and a mobile number in the window.

They will go in no time flat.
Brilliant, maybe a Police Aware sticker as well. Surely even with all the cuts they would eventually notice them.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... -wont-work" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cutting disabled people’s benefits won’t help anyone return to work
Frances Ryan

Link to report
https://www.mencap.org.uk/get-involved/ ... review-esa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

seeingclearly wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Today

So tell me, TE, because I would really like to understand where you are coming from on this: Do you support regime change in Syria, and our Government bombing Syria in order to remove Assad, because that is what is being called for..

I watched that meeting and that was the challenge being thrown down to STW. There are so many inconsistencies about Syria that there is no way that anyone, let alone serving politicians, can make up policy on the hoof. There are serious questions of legality as it is, and no mandate at all for regime change. Which leaves the position that Corbyn and STW have advocated, which is a political solution. Why ahould STW have to consult with the Syrian people when the government doesn't? They are not in a position to change things only to challenge them.

Instead of focussing on STW look at what the Syrian protester was actually saying, and her feelings on it, spoken with great conviction. And then ask yourself if STW or even our government can actually do what is being asked in a unilateral way. And then ask why we have not pushed for and supported a proper UN initiative that will include diplomatic and political action. Because what the Syrian woman speaker was wanting is completely impossible without that.
Fair questions all. Here is how I see it.

- I do not support regime change in Syria, nor do I believe it is any longer the focus of the USA. The interesting bombing incident yesterday was met with a flat statement from the US - wasn't us, we are not at war with the Syrian government.

I believe the best hope for Syria is partition, with the Kurds on one side and the Syrian government on the other. I believe Russia and Iran and the Kurdish factions are our natural allies, Turkey and ISIS our enemies.

I also believe Cameron is in and now absolutely has to get results. He is therefore eventually going to cut a deal with Russia to basically make that happen. Some fig leaf will be waved about transition in due course. The UN is in my view a nothing organisation, it acts only when all the major powers agree and it is less able to enforce real peace than NATO. See mass murder in Former Yugoslavia and shocking corruption/abuse in a number of other cases - oh yes and support for covering up war crimes in Sri Lanka. When people invoke the UN as the cure, they are being dishonest.

I believe that STW and Corbyn's stance of doing nothing helps nobody. Syria is already being bombed by the US, Russia and Turkey and there is war without end. At least by getting directly involved another government is going to be forced to push for a resolution.

I recognise this action will probably kill civilians, however if it hastens the end of the war (and it probably will) more lives will be saved than lost.

I think Corbyn's refusal to answer direct questions about ongoing support for air strikes in Iraq speaks volumes (because he doesn't support them, and voted against). In that case the legitimate government asked for air support to turn back ISIS. To a large degree this was achieved and many thousands of lives were saved. Failure to support that would have been criminal, which is why Miliband agreed with it.

Edited to add - should be clear on the mass murder thing. The UN was not involved in the killing obviously, but it was utterly ineffective in stopping it.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:Obama's speech reminded Americans that the war with Isis is still illegal.

Don't know if we had this yet, but it explains a lot to me.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ama-speech" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've no emtional attachment to President Obama's administration, his work or legacies.
What I don't know about being President of the United States of America is a lot.
I read the part quoted from the article linked above and my first thought was that the
article's title is perfect - Obama's speech reminded Americans that the war with Isis is still illegal
...[Obama] did remind Americans that Congress has not authorized any military action against Isis despite the fact
that we have been dropping bombs on multiple countries in an effort to stop Isis since August of 2014, and despite
the fact that such military authorization is required by both the law and the US constitution.

Here’s what Obama did say about the subject on Sunday:
"Finally, if Congress believes, as I do, that we are at war with Isil, it should go ahead
and vote to authorize the continued use of military force against these terrorists.

For over a year, I have ordered our military to take thousands of air strikes against Isil
targets. I think it’s time for Congress to vote to demonstrate that the American people
are united and committed to this fight.
"
'...hey everyone, we're flying this bastard into a decent into hell and I needed to remind you I'm one man in the executive
branch of the US government...this cataclysmic war thing...are we going to put a legal sticker on this sh** or what?'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

My post above about Obama and war sounds flippant. I'm not flippant, I'm trying to cope. Obama is a person having personally commanded thousands of aerial bombing missions causing loss of life and nations' infrastructure It's horrifying to me and I don't know what to do. What good has it done? I don't know. I don't know.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:My post above about Obama and war sounds flippant. I'm not flippant, I'm trying to cope. Obama is a person having personally commanded thousands of aerial bombing missions causing loss of life and nations' infrastructure It's horrifying to me and I don't know what to do. What good has it done? I don't know. I don't know.
It has saved thousands of lives in Iraq when ISIS had a huge number of civilians trapped without food or water on a mountain. But for military action by the US and their allies those people would all be dead. ISIS don't recognise the border between Syria and Iraq for their territory so it is all one war to them.

War is not always the worst option.
Release the Guardvarks.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Evening All

Sorry I've still been a sporadic visitor so may have missed discussion on this.

Is IDS chomping at the bit to respond to the EU by saying that Brits won't be able to have benefits for 4 years either, so it's fair?
Smith has a history of **** stirring over the EU. Just ask John Major. Or Cameron, now Smith's been saying if he isn't allowed to campaign against the EU he'll resign. Smith clearly has considerable power in the Tory party or he'd have gone when Cameron tried to shuffle him out a few years ago. If you remember, Cameron had to settle instead for splitting up the Nosferatu and Grayling double-act by sending Grayling off to wreck Justice.

On the one hand I think you're correct.

On the other hand I think Smith's also saying "voters - especially young voters - vote "no to EU" or I will regretfully have no option but to stop all your out of work and in work benefits. Don't blame me, blame the EU and all who want to stay in the EU. Now, let's see if Cameron thinks he has the power to sack me or make me resign and survive the fall-out himself."
I'm getting tired of calming down....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Twelve hours of putting labels on,I bet you barstewards,don't even bother to read them fully.I got picked,to continue,I didn't even know I was under scrutiny.Feel sorry for the ones that weren't.Some guilt that others may have needed the money, more than I did.I hope they find something.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Far from “encouraging” disabled people off sickness benefits, cutting £30 a week from the ESA (Wrag) benefit will reduce their ability to take steps into work. In fact, cutting someone’s benefits would diminish their capacity to even “think about work,” the report concluded"

Evil is accepted so readilly these days,worse it is advocated and presented as good.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

When you deem necessary rooms for care as not needed,absolutely nothing is out of bounds.We have let such things happen.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am on my high horse.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/114003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know if this petition to refuse entry of Trump to the UK is a spoof, because a large number of MP's appear to be on it !

Apols if already seen, no time to read first pages . NN
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

HindleA wrote:I am on my high horse.
Room for one more? And they sang:

"Tom Pearce, Tom Pearce, lend me your grey mare
All along, down along, out along lee.
For I want to go down to Widecombe Fair
Wi’ Bill Brewer, Jan Stewer, Peter Gurney,
Peter Davy, Dan’l Whiddon, Harry Hawk,
Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all
Old Uncle Tom Cobley and all......."

My surname is in there somewhere, but maybe not where you may expect. Heh.

Meanwhile, time for beddy-by-bokins, I feel.

Night all :sleep: