Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th December

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 19th & Sunday 20th December

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TobyLatimer wrote:
ScreenShot01330.jpg
One of the funniest yet ...'You might believe everything Huw Edwards spits in your ear Beryl, but I certainly don't.' :lol:
Working on the wild side.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Scares me that there are people out there who are actually like that ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Vote Leave, an umbrella organisation for Out campaigners, has compiled data...

According to its calculations a single Bulgarian worker is 377% better off working the
same number of hours in the UK than at home. In 2020, when the living wage has
been introduced in full, Vote Leave says the Bulgarian worker would be 353% better
off even if they cannot claim in-work benefits, compared to 254% better off had the
living wage not been introduced. Without the benefit reforms, the living wage will
mean that a single Bulgarian worker is 483% better off, it says.
"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rants-boom" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
An absurd paragraph worthy of any satirical comedy
I've linked the article it came from - the article's subtitle starts, 'Tory critics...'
...hilarious - VoteLeave's campaign manager is Dominic Cummings, hard core Tory b*****d
Not a single 'Tory critic' sighting
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TobyLatimer wrote:Scares me that there are people out there who are actually like that ;)
Is there something we can do for Beryl? Seriously, her mate is one crazy nutter.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:Scares me that there are people out there who are actually like that ;)
Is there something we can do for Beryl? Seriously, her mate is one crazy nutter.
Strikes me there might be something Beryl could do for the world.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Strikes me there might be something Beryl could do for the world.
Yup, I reckon it's a case of "when" rather than "if". Poor woman.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:David Laws cleared to act as adviser to academy chain Ark

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/david-laws-cle ... s-adviser/
Under new rules, former ministers must flag any new job offers within two years of leaving their post to the government’s advisory committee on business appointments (ACOBA).

ACOBA advises if there could be any “suspicion of impropriety” in the appointment.

The committee waved through Mr Law’s application, which said he had had “no official dealings with Ark”.

In a letter to the former MP, Baroness Browning, chair of ACOBA, said: “You did not deal with the organisation directly while in office and there is no suggestion that they were treated any differently to other academy chains.”

The Cabinet Office and the DfE also said they have “no propriety concerns” about the appointment.
That's the same DfE where Paul Marshall sits as a non-executive director? Oh, they didn't mention that...

I'm shocked, shocked etc...
I like the suggestion Laws is working on overseas business. What does he know about that, compared to what he knows about the UK business?

Never mind, sure this pillar of rectitude wouldn't dream of putting in a misleading invoice. "10 hours advising on expansion into India, honest guv".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul Retweeted
Jenny Foreigner ‏@JennyForeigner 4h4 hours ago
The Miliband problem. How Miliband gifted Labour to Corbyn.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
How depressing that he would retweet this out ... who 'Jenny Foreigner' is I don't know ... but she has essentially written a piece blaming everything that some parts of Labour regard as wrong with the party at present at the feet of Ed Miliband. She starts from the premise that post the 2010 election Labour wasn't a 'broken party'. Most of what I remember from that time was utter desperation at the bickering within the PLP spilling out onto TV screens and into the press all the time. I will never forget Hazel Blears and her cringeworthy 'rock the boat' brooch .... and that horrid perky smug little grin as she enjoyed her 10 minutes of fame for shafting colleagues. I had to force myself to vote for Labour in 2010 - it might not have been smashed into pieces but it was chipped and dented all over - structurally unsound. We needed a big debate on where the party needs to renew and direct itself then ... we didn't have it. We're having it now.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Watching Pinnochio for the first time. :roll:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jane Merrick ‏@janemerrick23 23m23 minutes ago
My @IndyOnSunday column today - Labour's In campaign need to acknowledge Euroscepticism of its voters http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wit ... 80231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
One of the few things I agree with her on.

There was a gent on QT last week who said that the In campaigns re the EU focus relentlessly on economic arguments and ignore the fact that much of the public's scepticism are about society and the societal arguments need to be addressed. He was someone who thought he would vote for Remain btw but felt the campaign was sadly lacking.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Watching Pinnochio for the first time. :roll:
As long as it's not the Roberto Benini one, you should be okay.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Open Europe ‏@OpenEurope 8 mins8 minutes ago
#Spain exit polls due at 7pm UK time. Latest data shows turnout slightly up from 2011 general election. #20D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:
As long as it's not the Roberto Benini one, you should be okay.
71 years old and the only Disney film I've seen all the way through is Robin Hood. That was a Christmas treat for our son way back when.
I was taken to see Bambi when I was young, but insisted I be taken home when Bambi's mother was killed. I was most upset.
It put me off Disney for good.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Rentoul Retweeted

How depressing that he would retweet this out ... who 'Jenny Foreigner' is I don't know ... but she has essentially written a piece blaming everything that some parts of Labour regard as wrong with the party at present at the feet of Ed Miliband. She starts from the premise that post the 2010 election Labour wasn't a 'broken party'. Most of what I remember from that time was utter desperation at the bickering within the PLP spilling out onto TV screens and into the press all the time. I will never forget Hazel Blears and her cringeworthy 'rock the boat' brooch .... and that horrid perky smug little grin as she enjoyed her 10 minutes of fame for shafting colleagues. I had to force myself to vote for Labour in 2010 - it might not have been smashed into pieces but it was chipped and dented all over - structurally unsound. We needed a big debate on where the party needs to renew and direct itself then ... we didn't have it. We're having it now.

It was people like Blears that made me nearly not vote Labour in 2010, having moved to a then Plaid/Lib Dem marginal with only 217 votes keeping the Lib in.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Can't hear the word Pinochio without thinking of hapless Nick Clegg depicted in Martin Rowson's cartoons. He got ever smaller, just ending up as a bit of wooden arm, or finger aimlessly directed somewhere or other.
:lol:
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 20 Dec, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Rentoul Retweeted

That's the 2nd major swipe at Ed Miliband I've seen today. Coincidence or co-ordinated assault? And with such flimsy arguments too. How would a different leader have countered the nationalist surge in Scotland, without compromising Labour's unionist principles? Or prevailed despite the Libdem collapse which handed seats back to the Tories they hadn't held since 1992? Maybe if Corbyn's critics had answers to those problems, they might have a point, but as it is I will continue to believe Ed did a remarkable job, to run things as close as he did.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

It says a lot about the country we live in, and the media we have, that an intelligent, decent man like Ed isn't in No 10 and Cameron is. What is says is depressing.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Rentoul Retweeted

Interesting to note that "jenny Foreigner" seems to have joined Twitter on Dec 16th but is considered of such importance that Rentoul immediately tweets out her article which was written earlier today.

It's really not that great an article and written like a tabloid piece with lots of short sentences that people with short attention spans can take in.

Something not quite right about it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Rentoul Retweeted

That's the 2nd major swipe at Ed Miliband I've seen today. Coincidence or co-ordinated assault? And with such flimsy arguments too. How would a different leader have countered the nationalist surge in Scotland, without compromising Labour's unionist principles? Or prevailed despite the Libdem collapse which handed seats back to the Tories they hadn't held since 1992? Maybe if Corbyn's critics had answers to those problems, they might have a point, but as it is I will continue to believe Ed did a remarkable job, to run things as close as he did.
I wondered the same Willow. It's probably coincidence - and that time pre New Year when these kind of hindsight pieces abound - but it comes just as Ed Miliband is becoming more present in the news re climate change talks and activities and - I would say this wouldn't I - coming across really well in this role. He's also being talked up as probably playing a more prominent role from now on - having been pretty quiet since May.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I have noticed that my use of tense and plural / singular has been absolutely abysmal today. For this I apologise profoundly - to PF and all those who care passionately and deeply about grammar and syntax viewing and / or posting on FTN.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Plus - terrible mixed and bungled metaphors and cliche.

I am mortified.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
John Rentoul Retweeted

Ed's beginning to Tweet again. Good ones too...That's probably why.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I have noticed that my use of tense and plural / singular has been absolutely abysmal today. For this I apologise profoundly - to PF and all those who care passionately and deeply about grammar and syntax viewing and / or posting on FTN.

Ow. I didn't notice. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jane Merrick ‏@janemerrick23 23m23 minutes ago
My @IndyOnSunday column today - Labour's In campaign need to acknowledge Euroscepticism of its voters http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wit ... 80231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
One of the few things I agree with her on.

There was a gent on QT last week who said that the In campaigns re the EU focus relentlessly on economic arguments and ignore the fact that much of the public's scepticism are about society and the societal arguments need to be addressed. He was someone who thought he would vote for Remain btw but felt the campaign was sadly lacking.
Non-EU members in Europe have to admit about the same people we do.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Plus - terrible mixed and bungled metaphors and cliche.

I am mortified.

We'll always have Brussels (sprouts) . . . . .

(I'm a Brussophile, too. The responsibility for keeping that industry going singlehanded has, today, been lifted from my shoulders. So, I thank you!)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Plus - terrible mixed and bungled metaphors and cliche.

I am mortified.

We'll always have Brussels (sprouts) . . . . .

(I'm a Brussophile, too. The responsibility for keeping that industry going singlehanded has, today, been lifted from my shoulders. So, I thank you!)
I think there may be more of us than are prepared to admit it PF.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:

Can't hear the word Pinochio without thinking of hapless Nick Clegg depicted in Martin Rowson's cartoons. He got ever smaller, just ending up as a bit of wooden arm, or finger aimlessly directed somewhere or other.
The Rowson Cartoon I posted onto last nights board, has Clegg's leg standing in the corner I think.

He had been leaving him out. It was good to 'hunt for Clegg' again...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Alberto Nardelli ‏@AlbertoNardelli 3s3 seconds ago View translation
Spain Election - TVE exit poll:

PP 26.8% (114-118 seats)
PSOE 20.5% (81-85)
Podemos 21.7% (76-80)
C’s 15.2% (47-50)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Alberto Nardelli ‏@AlbertoNardelli 3s3 seconds ago View translation
Spain Election - TVE exit poll:

PP 26.8% (114-118 seats)
PSOE 20.5% (81-85)
Podemos 21.7% (76-80)
C’s 15.2% (47-50)
So it could be a very tricky outcome if that poll is accurate? Hope Podemos and PSOE do a bit better than this indicates ....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 11 mins11 minutes ago
Spanish exit poll:

Centre-right --121-124 seats
Centre- left 79-83
Podemos - left 70-74
Citizens (centrist) 46-50
= hung parliament
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Good evening everyone.
I have been shopping this weekend,Aldi and Lidl mostly.Both were far more quiet than usual at the weekend.Town was ghostly.
So,either people are waiting another couple of days to get the shopping done,they have it already or are cutting back.
Anyway,nice for me as I didn't have to queue at all.
Mrs Ohso,hope all is well tomorrow.
Ephe,if you are around,have a lovely winter solstice.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 11 mins11 minutes ago
Spanish exit poll:

Centre-right --121-124 seats
Centre- left 79-83
Podemos - left 70-74
Citizens (centrist) 46-50
= hung parliament
Yes - the outcome a lot of people don't want. I've seen a few forecasts saying it's likely there will have to be more elections in the near future if this happened.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Split infinitives my speciality.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Discredited Maximus adds care inspections to DWP portfolio

http://linkis.com/com/kUXnj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:Good evening everyone.
I have been shopping this weekend,Aldi and Lidl mostly.Both were far more quiet than usual at the weekend.Town was ghostly.
So,either people are waiting another couple of days to get the shopping done,they have it already or are cutting back.
Oh so do I Rebecca. So do I. :rock:

Son was in Tesco yesterday. They do a lot of gluten free. He said it was manic...They were playing music so loud he and his wife couldn't hear each other think.

Was in Aldi today picking up bread and milk...Not too busy, but it always quietens during lunch hour. Although it's a small store compared with the other supermarkets, it's always remarkably civilized even at its busiest. Haven't been 'trollied' there ever.

Sainsbury's was deathly quiet a few days ago. Were dreading it as we had to get a prescription filled ... It will be interesting to see how they've all done.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

An independent Angus councillor who caused controversy by joining the SNP earlier this year has now left the party after admitting he doesn’t support the idea of independence.

Carnoustie councillor Bill Bowles became a member of the SNP in April – though he remained an independent councillor — but now says that he made a mistake.

He said cuts to local authority budgets announced by finance secretary John Swinney last week were the final straw.

Mr Bowles has issued an apology to people who think he “betrayed” his status as an independent councillor.

However, he insisted that even after joining the SNP he continued to act independently.

He revealed that talks with the party about becoming an SNP councillor didn’t go well when he revealed that he didn’t want Scotland to become independent.

Mr Bowles had faced calls for a by-election when he announced his decision to join the SNP...
http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/ ... e-1.916610" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Alberto Nardelli ‏@AlbertoNardelli 29 mins29 minutes ago

Spain has basically had the election that Britain was expecting in May. #20D
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:

Son was in Tesco yesterday. They do a lot of gluten free. He said it was manic...They were playing music so loud he and his wife couldn't hear each other think.

Was in Aldi today picking up bread and milk...Not too busy, but it always quietens during lunch hour. Although it's a small store compared with the other supermarkets, it's always remarkably civilized even at its busiest. Haven't been 'trollied' there ever.

Sainsbury's was deathly quiet a few days ago. Were dreading it as we had to get a prescription filled ... It will be interesting to see how they've all done.

No music in Aldi or Lidl,I was asking about it today.It's because the respective head offices won't pay for a license.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 36 mins36 minutes ago

Smaller exit poll by Antena 3 more generous to PP, putting it on 121-124 (C's on 46-50). Inches from a PP-C's majority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 36 mins36 minutes ago

Smaller exit poll by Antena 3 more generous to PP, putting it on 121-124 (C's on 46-50). Inches from a PP-C's majority.
It's fingers and everything crossed time eh Ohso.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

No music in Aldi or Lidl,I was asking about it today.It's because the respective head offices won't pay for a license.
Thank goodness for that. Aldi keep their expenses at rock bottom.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 36 mins36 minutes ago

It's fingers and everything crossed time eh Ohso.
Yes. About at the end of my tether.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Europe Elects
‏@EuropeElects
Spain, TNS exit poll:

#PartidoPopular 26.8, -17.8
#Podemos 21.7, +21.7
#PSOE 20.5, -8.3
#Ciudadanos 15.2, +15.2

#EleccionesGenerales2015

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 53 mins53 minutes ago
Andrew Neil Retweeted Europe Elects

Podemos come 2nd in popular vote if not seats. Quite an achievment. Poll of Polls wrong -- again. If exit poll right
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Fraser Nelson ‏@FraserNelson 5 mins5 minutes ago

Political earthquake in Spain as exit poll shows Podemos surging to 22pc, smashing the two-party system.

My blog: http://bit.ly/1QD8GIG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Flooded Properties Grant.jpg
Flooded Properties Grant.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 4738 times
Is that the extent of the support? Doesn't seem that that will go very far.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 2 mins2 minutes ago

With 11% of Spanish vote counted
Conservatives on 26%,
Socialists 23%,
Left Podemos 13%,
Centrist Citizens 10%
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Andrew Neil ‏@afneil 2 mins2 minutes ago

With 11% of Spanish vote counted
Conservatives on 26%,
Socialists 23%,
Left Podemos 13%,
Centrist Citizens 10%
Aarrrgggh. That's a nail biter alright.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Right. Just over 40% of the vote counted and this is how things are looking seat-wise:

Partido Popular: 118

PSOE (Socialists): 96

Podemos: 43

Ciudadanos: 31

(Remember: the threshold for a majority is 176 seats.)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CWseRLIXAAAq_xi.jpg
CWseRLIXAAAq_xi.jpg (69.89 KiB) Viewed 4722 times