Wednesday 6th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 6th January 2016

Post by Willow904 »

I'm feeling a bit glum and negative about the political future of this country at the moment. Probably to do with reading the article I found linked in the below tweet (direct link to article in brackets). It's about the role of think tanks in the neoliberal society. It's from part of a book to be published called "The Routledge Handbook of Neoliberalism". It really puts its finger on what has been troubling me lately about politics. Our politicians don't have the ability, the power, to shape ideas and political vision anymore. Ed couldn't get anywhere with his "predatory versus productive capitalism" idea because it came from him, a mere politician, rather than a think tank. Even McDonnell's economics experts don't have the kind of clout to shape public opinion in the way the right wing think tanks do. It's still a good idea, it shows he grasps the problem at least, it's just so puny against the money and influence already locked in by the right. It goes back to Thatcher, of course, there's a great book, Jonathan Coe's "What a Carve Up!", that chillingly lays out through fiction the way in which Thatcher's contemporaries sought to corner every market from arms exports and intensive farming through to infiltrating the BBC and using newspaper columns to shape opinion and soften up the public for the first Gulf War. What's worrying is that we seem to have shifted from the obvious manipulative cynicism of the 80s that was easier to expose and condemn, into a world of genuine ideological zeal for neoliberalism where it's hard to see where the self-serving cynicism ends and genuine belief based on false facts and ignorance begins.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
( http://www.geos.ed.ac.uk/homes/tslater/ ... Slater.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

All of this links to something I wanted to say about Zac Goldsmith and the possibility of the Greens' promoting him as second preference for London mayor when it came up recently, but struggled to articulate. I still can't quite say what I want to say about the subject so thought I would link this article instead:

https://spinwatchwatch.wordpress.com/20 ... llo-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HOW ZAC GOLDSMITH BOUGHT THE GREEN MOVEMENT
Posted on 28 April 2010 by willdeighton

Why is the Conservative candidate for Richmond upon Thames funding so many of the environmental groups that ought to be attacking the Tories, asks Will Deighton
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Biggest problem Labour has is the ageing population. They got 1/4 of pensioners last time.

Think the SNP will pass. The economic case is getting worse, and they're liars.
An ageing population a problem for Labour only if the Tories don't let people under the age of forty vote. Or banning people voting Labour. That's probably Labour's biggest problem. Tories banning anyone from voting Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 1m1 minute ago
Shots fired. Again.

Peter Mandelson: U.K. Labour Leader Corbyn's Reshuffle Spells Disaster http://nwk.ee/A1jFA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @NewsweekEurope
At least he's getting a bit further away in publishing location. We can doubtless expect a mass influx of articles telling us what a disaster everything is. I am now pretty disaster proofed though - there's only so many times these dire warnings can be shouted at me before they start to lose potency (if they ever had any).

I see Steve Richards and others are saying John Denham has written a very astute piece on what Labour needs to do now - in the New Statesman. TBH, I think he's only pretty much articulating what a hell of a lot of the membership have been thinking and saying for quite some time (leaving aside unecessary use of labelling of hard right - hard left - hard or soft whatevers).

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... we-go-here" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is useful, from The Economist. Criticism of a recent and very popular Owen Jones column.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexch ... ying-crowd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Their basic point- if you're going to scare people with big numbers, give context, like % of GDP.

The Right does this all the time. It's a shame if influential people on the left feel they need to, or doesn't know any better.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Good graphic from Full Fact on (regulated) fares:

Please explain to me what I'm looking at, Tubby. I'm not being peevish, it's the evening, I'm confused and want to know what that graphic means.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Popular exams in UK to be rescheduled to avoid Ramadan
Exam boards aim to avoid clash for next three years between exam season and the height of Ramadan, when Muslim pupils would be fasting

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... id-ramadan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expect Trump to deliver another declamation about the parlous state of the UK now. Feel a bit sorry for anyone taking an 'unpopular' exam who observes Ramadan though.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

It's Dan Hodges naked streak down Whitehall tomorrow. Just so no one can say they didn't know.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Was it you with the lilo?
Not classy enough for our Anatoly. Definitely the surfboard...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Political Scrapbook ‏@PSbook Jan 5
MP in 'tax avoidance' scandal was imposed on local party by SNP officials http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/01/m ... by-snp-hq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Interesting history to this constituency dynamics according to this post and a previous blog post it links to. Hadn't realised Boswell had quite an opposition within his own constituency party.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Don't look Ethel
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
MP in 'tax avoidance' scandal was imposed on local party by SNP officials http://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/01/m ... by-snp-hq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Interesting history to this constituency dynamics according to this post and a previous blog post it links to. Hadn't realised Boswell had quite an opposition within his own constituency party.
His work experience looks interesting. He's 52, but I can only find work experience of "more than a decade" and "brief time" as a policeman.

What's missing? Why?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:

Please explain to me what I'm looking at, Tubby. I'm not being peevish, it's the evening, I'm confused and want to know what that graphic means.
How much regulated rail fares (government sets these, but doesn't have any input into the rest) went up over the last Parliament, and this year. It's 10 points more than inflation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The SNP are incredibly controlling, even when so many of their supporters are of the two legs good variety".

They might worry about the grassroots taking their "real Labour Party" stuff too seriously, and have seen this bloke, with his money savviness, as an antidote.

Though I guess being leftwing in the UK Parliament is a freebie for them.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CYD3-j8WEAAFZ1i.png
CYD3-j8WEAAFZ1i.png (229.75 KiB) Viewed 4729 times
Latest from the DRUMMOND PUDDLE.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

My cheerer upper of the day.

Dog took off after her favourite crow on the beach today - he raced her around in circles - for the first time since she was recently diagnosed with spondylosis of spine. She looked gloriously back to her gleeful, pain free self.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

How much regulated rail fares (government sets these, but doesn't have any input into the rest) went up over the last Parliament, and this year. It's 10 points more than inflation.
I thought perhaps that's what I was looking at.
What should I do with all the rage I feel about this injustice?
The world's leaders should be making public transportation available for everyone affordable, reliable, easy to use, frequent and comprehensive so people voluntarily give up their motor vehicle. Less pollution, fewer deaths, less stress...quality of life for everyone is enhanced. For goodness' sake! It's not so difficult! Banning motor vehicles then wouldn't be an issue, you see? People would choose it as the more affordable and sane option on their own. That's always preferable to legislating the hell out of the population, banning things should only be done when there's no other way, you know? I hate the antagonism between motorists and people who walk or ride bikes. And there are ways to use policy to mitigate that antagonism.

I've made a home-made carrot cake with a cream cheese frosting this evening. Coffee or tea?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote: Latest from the DRUMMOND PUDDLE.
Oh, yeah! The country needs you! The land and the king are one. The people are content and crops grow nice.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
His work experience looks interesting. He's 52, but I can only find work experience of "more than a decade" and "brief time" as a policeman.

What's missing? Why?
He took care of the household while his partner worked?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is our future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/nyreg ... .html?_r=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charter school apparently doing great. Then someone accidentally sent out a memo saying "we want to get these 16 kids out".

The age of these dangerous troublemakers? Er, 5 or 6.

Did they become terriying delinquents at lawless state schools, with veteran unionized teachers? No, they've been in this charter school, where "great teachers" overcome everything.

The principal has gone off on leave. He was the 3rd since it opened in 2013.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Wed 06 Jan, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Interesting history to this constituency dynamics according to this post and a previous blog post it links to. Hadn't realised Boswell had quite an opposition within his own constituency party.

What's missing? Why?
All good cuddly modern SNP stuff. He'd have had that tattooed on his forehead.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rachel Reeves Retweeted

Michael Dugher MP ‏@MichaelDugher Jan 5

Just been sacked by Jeremy Corbyn. I wished him a happy new year.
Look who's Re-Tweeting Dugher.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Flood warnings for:
England and Wales
8:35pm Wednesday 06 January 2016

There are currently no severe flood warnings, 18 warnings and 118 alerts in force at this location.

River Ouse at Naburn Lock
Latest Information

The flood warning for the River Ouse at Naburn Lock remains in force. The current level at Naburn is 7.9m and will remain high. The current level at Cawood is 6.5m and will remain high. The current level at Selby is 4.2m and will fluctuate with the tide. The current river level in York is 3.6m and will continue to fall slowly during Wednesday. Further rainfall is forecast on Thursday. Early indications are that this will cause the level of the Ouse in York to rise during Friday and we may see a peak around 3.7m during Friday evening. This is an early forecast and we will update this message as new information becomes available. The Environment Agency incident room remains open on 24 hour duty. Please keep checking for updates. Further information is available on http://www.gov.uk/flood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Situation last changed 8:25pm Wednesday 06 January 2016

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... k/warnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've kept a tally of the warnings in an open page recording the warnings as the day goes by.
It's not over, the flooding isn't over.
I'm sorry.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: His work experience looks interesting. He's 52, but I can only find work experience of "more than a decade" and "brief time" as a policeman.

What's missing? Why?
All good cuddly modern SNP stuff. He'd have had that tattooed on his forehead.
I neglected to note his political party affiliation and answered your question with the first thing that came to mind. I'm sorry. I'm not a great fan of the SNP, it seems to me that'd rather not live with the rest of the country as one. Not team players, you know? What am I supposed to do with a political party like that?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Know nothing about Academy status etc,do know that my nephew's school has been plastered with monies(uniforms equipment etc),my sister says that all very well,but what about their plans as regards his learning difficulty,and pupils in the same/similar position.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jonathan Portes ‏@jdportes 7h7 hours ago
Jonathan Portes Retweeted Stronger In
Of all the junk stats I've seen in Brexit debate this is really the worst. @StrongerIn really should correct this.

Stronger In
‏@StrongerIn
Leaving the EU could cost the UK at least £11bn - causing prices to rise + hitting family finances #StrongerIn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tories also found it highly amusing to joke about"having a home to go to" after the Housing Bill debate.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

To be fair,half of them,at a guess,hard to tell with some,were pissed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Anyone else who Twitters noticed there's not a sniff of how wrong they were about Benn and revenge sackings? Even from so called Labour supporters....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hansard coverage of opposition day debate re work allowance/UC
http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... known/196/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Met Office warnings ‏@metofficeEng 4 mins4 minutes ago

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England : Hampshire, Isle of Wight, West Sussex, Brighton and H...

http://bit.ly/1Ux7STS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better leave some food out for the fox tonight. She'll have to swim across my lawn to get it though ... It's so waterlogged, rain from a couple of days ago still hasn't drained off.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 06 Jan, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dave Camoron @EtonOldBoys

Zac Goldsmith admits 'non-dom' tax status | via @Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tatus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Look at this buffoon, James Cartlidge.
Ms Buck:
That is kind—and inaccurate. Like many Opposition colleagues I was besieged by constituents concerned about their tax credit cuts in the run-up to the spending review. They were horrified that a Government who said making work pay was going to be their mantra should do this to working people. Does my hon. Friend think the 600,000 Londoners on tax credits—7,000 in my constituency—will be equally horrified to know the sting is still in the tail and working people are going to lose out dramatically as UC is rolled out?

Owen Smith:
I think that, more than that, they will be absolutely cheesed off to the back teeth that this Government have tried to pull the wool over their eyes, because the truth is these are precisely the same cuts that were proposed through tax credits—almost exactly the same amount of money will be saved through these cuts to the work allowances as was previously proposed.

James Cartlidge (South Suffolk) (Con):
Excellent.

Owen Smith:
A Member says “Excellent” from a sedentary position. I think—

James Cartlidge:
Will the hon. Gentleman give way?

Owen Smith:
I will be delighted to give way.

James Cartlidge:
I have just a minor detail: every penny paid out in benefits has to be raised in tax out of working people’s taxes. The money paid out in tax credits is not wages; it is means-tested benefits. Does the hon. Gentleman not recognise that the great advantage of UC is that it reduces the harsh impact of means-tested withdrawal of income?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Dave Camoron @EtonOldBoys

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... tatus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
That's from 2009, prior to the coalition.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://nearlylegal.co.uk/2016/01/scanda ... forcement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A scandal unfolds: High Court enforcement again
By Giles Peaker
Since our previous post on this topic, it has become apparent that there are significant and widespread issues with evictions of tenants by High Court writs.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:Met Office warnings ‏@metofficeEng 4 mins4 minutes ago

Yellow Warning of Rain for London & South East England : Hampshire, Isle of Wight, West Sussex, Brighton and H...

http://bit.ly/1Ux7STS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Better leave some food out for the fox tonight. She'll have to swim across my lawn to get it though ... It's so waterlogged, rain from a couple of days ago still hasn't drained off.
I froze some of the Turkey carcass and bones down at Christmas rather than chuck it out to her in one go, so she'll get a treat tonight. It'll be about thawed by the time she makes her rounds in the early hours of the morning.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Dave Camoron @EtonOldBoys

That's from 2009, prior to the coalition.
Ah right. First I'd heard of it, although I knew he was from a very wealthy family.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:This is our future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/05/nyreg ... .html?_r=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charter school apparently doing great. Then someone accidentally sent out a memo saying "we want to get these 16 kids out".

The age of these dangerous troublemakers? Er, 5 or 6.

Did they become terriying delinquents at lawless state schools, with veteran unionized teachers? No, they've been in this charter school, where "great teachers" overcome everything.

The principal has gone off on leave. He was the 3rd since it opened in 2013.
I rather feel that we, or rather my son and several other pupils in his now ex primary have been a victim of a similar policy. A harder line on temporary and even permanent exclusions appear to have been taken since September. We were threatened with a permanent exclusion at the end of the first half of the autumn term, at which point what remaining trust we had in the school evaporated, although pressure on the lad had been increasing, and his mental well-being was been badly affected - I'd go so far as to say that his desire to please us by doing something he hated was tormenting him.

Anyhoo, we're home schooling while we decide the next step, but it certainly won't involve any school in the MAT that run most of the primaries around here, the leadership of which are obsessed by SATS. I guess that a bright, sociable lad struggling with ASD sensory and language processing issues, and, we've subsequently discovered through a private psychologist, very high levels of clinical anxiety was too much bother for them, so we could f*ck off on our own. And like I say, we're not alone - I know of several families that are having overt pressure on them to remove their kids or have actually withdrawn them, all just in the last few weeks or months in one village school.

/rant.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Wed 06 Jan, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some new bloke,Duncan Smith ? said five words.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Simon Hoare:
The Minister is being a little too charitable to the Opposition. I might be being a bit cynical, but did not their policy seek to create a hinterland constituency of people wedded to welfare and therefore reliant on the Labour party? The voters saw through that in May and they are not going back to that again.
Justin Tomlinson:
There is no need for my hon. Friend to feel that he is being cynical, as the statistics make that very clear.

Fuck off, you pair of liars.

Telegraph comments line now official government line.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

HindleA wrote:Some new bloke,Duncan Smith ? said five words.
Five more than were worth hearing, I'd wager.
The truth ferret speaks!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

There is delegation and avoidance of responsibility,eg repeated usage of S.Webb answering/defending policies that had nothing to do with his actual brief,during 2010-2015.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lying bastards indeed,their words make that clear.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Flood victims receive aid from ISRAEL as humanitarian team flies into help Britain's deluged northern cities
IsraAID normally work in developing nations but offered help to sodden UK
Four person team flew in and headed to Leeds to distribute supplies
Community welcomed the group with 'open arms' after Christmas floods

http://linkis.com/www.dailymail.co.uk/8fb1W
It is the Daily Mail, but ---
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Look at this buffoon, James Cartlidge.
Ms Buck:
That is kind—and inaccurate. Like many Opposition colleagues I was besieged by constituents concerned about their tax credit cuts in the run-up to the spending review. They were horrified that a Government who said making work pay was going to be their mantra should do this to working people. Does my hon. Friend think the 600,000 Londoners on tax credits—7,000 in my constituency—will be equally horrified to know the sting is still in the tail and working people are going to lose out dramatically as UC is rolled out?

Owen Smith:
I think that, more than that, they will be absolutely cheesed off to the back teeth that this Government have tried to pull the wool over their eyes, because the truth is these are precisely the same cuts that were proposed through tax credits—almost exactly the same amount of money will be saved through these cuts to the work allowances as was previously proposed.

James Cartlidge (South Suffolk) (Con):
Excellent.

Owen Smith:
A Member says “Excellent” from a sedentary position. I think—

James Cartlidge:
Will the hon. Gentleman give way?

Owen Smith:
I will be delighted to give way.

James Cartlidge:
I have just a minor detail: every penny paid out in benefits has to be raised in tax out of working people’s taxes. The money paid out in tax credits is not wages; it is means-tested benefits. Does the hon. Gentleman not recognise that the great advantage of UC is that it reduces the harsh impact of means-tested withdrawal of income?
The people Smith is talking are all working people.

"...same cuts that were proposed through tax credits—almost exactly the same amount of money will be saved through these cuts to the work allowances..."

Cartlidge says, 'Excellent', in response, then spouts lies - James Cartlidge, Tory MP for South Suffolk - does he understand he's on record saying this? Does he realise not everyone will forget it? Well, on his head be it. Made a jackass out of himself. He'll have to face the consequences.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Fuck off again. This is the whole answer.
Andrew Gwynne:
I am grateful to the Minister for giving way. Although we all understand how universal credit is intended to work, does he not understand that there is an inbuilt disadvantage for those areas that were universal credit pilots, such as the Tameside part of my constituency? As universal credit is phased in across the country, these cuts will hit the areas that were the early entrants to the programme much harder than other parts of the country.

Justin Tomlinson:
We are seeing that people on universal credit are more likely to progress into work and to secure more hours, and I will come on to that in more detail later.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hard to fathom the depth of warped depraved thinking necessary ,perhaps I shouldn't try.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@hobiejoe

That sounds really really stressful. Hope you find a good solution for your lad and yourselves.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Hard to fathom the depth of warped depraved thinking necessary ,perhaps I shouldn't try.
I take notes. It helps me understand my own feelings and by dating the documentation, I can refer back to this writing when the information will be useful to relate in full. Names and constituencies, essential to jot down.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Flynn ‏@PaulFlynnMP 31m31 minutes ago Lambeth, London
Day of orchestrated treachery as resignations were timed for news outlets with
cunning malevolence to wound elected leader and party.
He's not mincing his words.

Making me wonder if the 'shadow minister' who apparently talked about such tactics to Radio 4 is still a shadow minister?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

You know the whole thing about the Tunnocks Tea Cakes, with them removing the lion? Apparently it was just a publicity thing. The lion is on the box and is still there. There was never one on the foil.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ts-boycott" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;