Wednesday 20th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 20th January 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

Who doesn't want to see Jeremy Corbyn elected? It would be a glorious six-day reign
By Frankie Boyle

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ed-murdoch
Very funny. Very true. Very sad.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Big cheerer upper. A friend has just sent me this link saying 'How could this not make you smile!?' How indeed.
Wish I could work out how to embed it ... but the URL hasn't got a format I recognise and can deal with. Too many equals signs.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sGF6bOi1N ... fo=0&rel=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[youtube]sGF6bOi1NfA[/youtube]
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you refitman.

Excellent service as always. (Sorry if that sounds condescending - definitely not meant to).
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Toby Perkins ‏@tobyperkinsmp 5m5 minutes ago
Toby Perkins Retweeted Telegraph Politics
Ok, so I've read this,but still don't know what poppers do or relevance to gay men particularly, can some1 tell me?

Telegraph PoliticsVerified account
‏@TelePolitics
What was the 'poppers' debate about and why did Crispin Blunt MP trend on twitter? http://tgr.ph/Z3V81P" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think Toby might need a refitman or Ohso explanation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Hencke Retweeted
ExaroNews ‏@ExaroNews 42m42 minutes ago
Leaked Smith review: at least 61 sexual attacks or inappropriate sexual conduct by Sir Jimmy Savile linked to BBC. http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5749/ ... tly-to-bbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@RR2

He now knows,I provided a link others were more graphic.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Hencke Retweeted
Leaked Smith review: at least 61 sexual attacks or inappropriate sexual conduct by Sir Jimmy Savile linked to BBC. http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5749/ ... tly-to-bbc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Just shows how far we've come with child protection and safeguarding over the years.

And yet as the case with the rape cases in the North and that London school, so much still to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... t-adequate
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Hencke Retweeted
Just shows how far we've come with child protection and safeguarding over the years.

And yet as the case with the rape cases in the North and that London school, so much still to do.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... t-adequate
That article is a right shocker. I read it earlier and couldn't believe some of the lapses and attitudes described.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Is it still not mandatory for English schools to report abuse allegations? Cheryl Gillan to be fair to her had a decent crack at Gove on this.

I see well-known lefty areas like Western Australia have mandatory reporting.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

We had an INSET at the beginning of term about child protection where every member of staff was briefed about (i) things to look out for (ii) what to do if they suspect something's wrong (iii) who to go to (iv) and most importantly, it's the child who is the focus - even if you have to upset parents by maybe calling it in to social services, then it has to be done. If there's nothing wrong then parents will understand.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

From Ann Black. NEC Rep. In answer to Ephies post which I pasted onto Bracknell Labour Parties Face Book page.
Roy Bailey Hi Roy

Thanks for this, a lot to comment on.
Angela Eagle was the driving force behind the Your Britain website, and as well as getting some comments from MPs and policy commission members, it had the advantage that every contributor could see what everyone else was saying, and what was important to them.

Having said that, it's clear that the policy-making process, more than 18 years after the national policy forum was established, does not work for most members, who are usually unaware of who is supposed to represent them. What would replace it I don't know, but it needs to be a genuinely two-way process, though this is difficult with limited resources. However MPs manage a huge correspondence with their constituents, so perhaps learn from them.

I agree that we need to challenge the whole narrative about welfare, changing it from handouts for a few inadequates and scroungers to a social security system, where everyone pays in when they can, and draws out when they need. But as well as developing our own principled policies, we then need to sell them to enough voters to elect a Labour government. My concern at the moment is that party members do not necessarily reflect the much wider pool of people who have voted Labour in the past, and need to vote Labour again. Guardian readers alone are not enough.

Frank Field, I think, draws on his own background and his experience representing a northern inner city, and doesn't appreciate sufficiently that not everywhere is the same, something we probably all do to some extent.

But at least we haven't heard the awful "hardworking families" mantra for a refreshingly long time.

All good wishes, Ann
PS Roy, feel free to post or pass back to the author, I can just about keep up with email, Facebook and Twitter would overload ...
I have replied [so far] with this:

Oh dear. There's that scrounger word again. It's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Disabled people who are often called it quite rightly resent it.
I am sad to see it still being used.

Edited to add [so far] I'm still mulling Ms Black's reply over.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Lyons Retweeted
Dan Crawford ‏@dancrawford85 11m11 minutes ago
Neale Coleman has quit as Jeremy Corbyn's head of rebuttal after a row with Seumas Milne, says the Times (£): http://thetim.es/1P6DC2k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad news if so.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:@RR2

:lol: He's getting inundated now ... has asked for no more, please.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They both use the same language,just in slightly different ways and applicability.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They will not change the narrative given (1)they co-created it (2)perceived/actual polititical traction in maintaining it.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It becomes an unseemly argument of definitions according to a false dichotomy.We all pay taxes,we all get benefits,only at the edges is this fundamental mentioned.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

But at least we haven't heard the awful "hardworking families" mantra for a refreshingly long time.
Then she uses scroungers....FFS! Only I didn't like to say that on Facebook. I'd get slung off...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
HindleA wrote:@RR2

:lol: He's getting inundated now ... has asked for no more, please.
It's all there on wiki, if only he'd looked. I suspect it's the slang name that's unfamiliar to some. Surely most people would have enough of an inkling not to ask what amyl nitrite is used for on twitter :lol:
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I agree it was somewhat naive.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Night all......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:We had an INSET at the beginning of term about child protection where every member of staff was briefed about (i) things to look out for (ii) what to do if they suspect something's wrong (iii) who to go to (iv) and most importantly, it's the child who is the focus - even if you have to upset parents by maybe calling it in to social services, then it has to be done. If there's nothing wrong then parents will understand.
Yes. It's how we look out for each other, protect each other, prevent others from causing us or others harm. Cause no harm. I love you and you may not hurt someone. Nine times out of ten it works - people understand others pay attention. The community will lawfully remove someone causing harm. Those causing harm go to a place they can't leave in order to protect others from their abuse. All kinds of positive incentives are made available to people in order to prevent people using violence and abuse of others as a lifestyle choice. We all have to pay attention, make eye contact and talk about abuse before it happens in order to prevent it happening at all. The one time out of ten is heartbreaking. Who pays the rent when the person who abuses children is removed from the house the children live in? Where's the safe place to live when the place lived in is where someone's abused?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The Tories rarely if ever use that actual term,they don't have to,Labour do in supposed combatting of it,which only sustains the narrative,the narrative supposedly needing to change and on it goes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Night all......
Goodnight, Ohso.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:From Ann Black. NEC Rep. In answer to Ephies post which I pasted onto Bracknell Labour Parties Face Book page.
Roy Bailey Hi Roy

Thanks for this, a lot to comment on.
Angela Eagle was the driving force behind the Your Britain website, and as well as getting some comments from MPs and policy commission members, it had the advantage that every contributor could see what everyone else was saying, and what was important to them.

Having said that, it's clear that the policy-making process, more than 18 years after the national policy forum was established, does not work for most members, who are usually unaware of who is supposed to represent them. What would replace it I don't know, but it needs to be a genuinely two-way process, though this is difficult with limited resources. However MPs manage a huge correspondence with their constituents, so perhaps learn from them.

I agree that we need to challenge the whole narrative about welfare, changing it from handouts for a few inadequates and scroungers to a social security system, where everyone pays in when they can, and draws out when they need. But as well as developing our own principled policies, we then need to sell them to enough voters to elect a Labour government. My concern at the moment is that party members do not necessarily reflect the much wider pool of people who have voted Labour in the past, and need to vote Labour again. Guardian readers alone are not enough.

Frank Field, I think, draws on his own background and his experience representing a northern inner city, and doesn't appreciate sufficiently that not everywhere is the same, something we probably all do to some extent.

All good wishes, Ann
PS Roy, feel free to post or pass back to the author, I can just about keep up with email, Facebook and Twitter would overload ...
I have replied [so far] with this:

Oh dear. There's that scrounger word again. It's like waving a red flag in front of a bull. Disabled people who are often called it quite rightly resent it.
I am sad to see it still being used.

Edited to add [so far] I'm still mulling Ms Black's reply over.
(my emphasis)

I didn't read it as though Ann Black was using those words about people herself but using the words used by government and making it clear those words need to change.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

But they don't,they have no need to;usage of such language only sustains,I am guilty of it myself.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:But they don't,they have no need to;usage of such language only sustains,I am guilty of it myself.
You're a human being like we all are - we're social, we use language used around us and language we hear and read about and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses, we make mistakes or dislike our choice of words after the fact, it's not usually a big deal. Go easy on yourself. That's from the Desiderata, sort of.
"Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
"

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~gongsu/desi ... tonly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Justly outraged people have heard the language originating with Tory government and can't believe anyone could be so rude, they use the names originating with Tories trying to come to terms with how to jerk a knot in the tail of such awful government capable of actively mistreating people and calling them outrageous names, accusing them of outrageous conduct....Tories share a country with the other children of the universe. From now on, let's refer to ourselves and everyone else as children of the universe...we have a right to be here.

Goodnight, everyone. I've done a lot of walking the last couple of days. I love you.

cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Goodnight
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Poppers? There's a song about that....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Nitrate

You can get rid of the annoying boxes by mousing over them and clicking the little 'x' that appears on their top right corner - I chose this version as the quality is good, good enough to see all the piggy faces....aaannd we're back to Cameron again. I reckon it's George that gets the gear, though. Chancellors are like that, although I remember back in the day when it used to just be cheap champagne and a packet of fags from an offie in Paddington. Still at least old badger face put a roof over the head of a Lady Of Negotiable Affection.

[youtube]i7mEB2wnDLQ[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apparently Shirley W.predicted "moderates"-still no idea what that actually means beyond tactic to label all who are not extremist ,will leave Labour,and a new centre-left party formed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tories axe carers for thousands of blind pensioners in latest attack on disabled people
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-news/tho ... e-support/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Covers period of both Labour Tory/Libdems.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

The Nation endorses Bernie Sanders

http://www.thenation.com/article/bernie ... president/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;