Thursday 10th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 10th February 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alastair McLellan ‏@HSJEditor 6m6 minutes ago
Alastair McLellan Retweeted Joe Harrison
Now EIGHT CEOs from Dalton letter saying they don't support #juniorcontract imposition
Can't keep up with this. Typing speed not fast enough.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hearing the news about gravitational waves made me think of our much missed LadyCentauria.
She'd have been so excited by it.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 11 Feb, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Consultation on ILF transition grant.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... ient-grant" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:With Mr Ohso at the hospital for his pre-op today. {He goes in Monday for another look in his bladder}
Appointment for just gone 12. Finally finished all the checks at 2:30. It's only ever taken half that time before.

One elderly lady had been there since 11:30, and got out around five minutes before us.

There was a noticeable lack of nursing and clerical staff - many were said to be ill, and what staff were on duty were straight faced and quiet. We've come to know them quite well, but today it was like being in a different, unknown hospital.

I wouldn't wish ill health on anyone, but will find it very hard to hold my tongue if, in future, a Conservative voter voices disapproval at their treatment, or what's more likely, lack of it.
Hope Mr Ohso will be allright.
I was in general nursing when Thatcher stole the heart out of the NHS.THIS lot have simply taken the soul.
If I had my way,one of the first questions asked of patients would be 'did you vote Tory?'.
Those who say yes could then sit on a trolley all night in a corridor.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

One of them was Dalton,himself.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Hearing the news about gravitational waves made me think of our much missed LadyCentauria.
I miss her middle of the night posts...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

How can Jeremy Hunt get away with imposing a contract on junior doctors? Look no further than the other Jeremy
The normal restraints of Parliamentary democracy no longer apply – the Government has a freedom to take unpopular decisions with little threat of electoral payback

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why ... 67841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FFS. Like the Tories haven't been working towards this since 2010 - no from before 2010. They were, sadly, ably abetted by the Lib Dems. More blame should be flung at them than Corbyn. They would be doing this whoever was leading Labour. What a low in journalism we have reached.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

So do I particularly her through the night election coverage.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:Hearing the news about gravitational waves made me think of our much missed LadyCentauria.
I miss everything about her posts - including the menus and recipes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jon Trickett ‏@jon_trickett 4m4 minutes ago
A fantastic sight now outside Dept of Health: junior docs protest and many passing taxi Drivers hooting in solidarity
Imagine how nasty and dismissive the Tories are going to be about nurses, paramedics and other health professionals if they think they can get away with this treatment of junior doctors?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Association of Surgeons in Training Response

http://asit.org/news/imposition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 11 Feb, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Very powerful stuff.
The Guardian ‏@guardian 1m1 minute ago
Junior doctors respond to Jeremy Hunt: http://t.gu.com/YdLLP" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; #juniorcontract
(Sorry if that sounded a bit Hannah Waldram PF and those who understand.)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Shaun Lintern ‏@ShaunLintern 5m5 minutes ago
@jsm @johannmalawana It is now nine with the addition of Peter Homa from Notts Hospitals
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Didn't the doctors threaten to all resign - can't remember the date ? 2001 ? - when Blair was PM.
It was over their contract negotiations, not long before a general election .

Or was it just GPs ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jon Trickett ‏@jon_trickett 4m4 minutes ago
A fantastic sight now outside Dept of Health: junior docs protest and many passing taxi Drivers hooting in solidarity
Imagine how nasty and dismissive the Tories are going to be about nurses, paramedics and other health professionals if they think they can get away with this treatment of junior doctors?

I'm just waiting for those smug 'I'm all right Jacks', with a bit of private health cover thanks to their jobs, to get really sick.

Or see their faces when they try to get insurance to cover their family for all eventualities.

And of course all the blue rinses who helped Cameron get in, when they have to start paying for their prescriptions.
I probably won't be here to see it, but rest assured if I'm able to watch events unfold, I'll be shouting 'suck it up', as loud as I can...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Didn't the doctors threaten to all resign - can't remember the date ? 2001 ? - when Blair was PM.
It was over their contract negotiations, not long before a general election .

Or was it just GPs ?
The GP contract renegotiation was the biggy during the Blair years. It's when out of hours was allowed to be opted out of ... and that was a deeply unpopular cave in. Tends to be used to haunt / diss Labour rather frequently ...
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

seeingclearly wrote:For lots of reasons I found this article about the TATA plant at Port Talbot a bit odd. Not that it wasn't interesting, Heinz tins and two pence pieces, just odd. See what you think.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... orks-blaze" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thing that struck me as a problem with the article is it doesn't put into context just how much steel port Talbot can produce,

Might have got maths wrong, and all figures are from google but:-

Port Talbot's weekly capacity 48000 tonnes of steel,
values of 2p coins produced in a year (2011) , 151 million
1 ton of 2p coins = 145000 coins,
so approx. 1000 tonnes of steel per years 2ps production
would take 3 hours to roll.??

Same thing happens when talking about things like amount of steel needed for say crossrail,
it's useful, but not enough to keep a big mill busy for long.
martinson
Backbencher

Post by martinson »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
I miss everything about her posts - including the menus and recipes.
I always enjoyed Lady C's comments and like many here miss her as a friend. I wonder if she is responsible for the waves? She would love it.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:
I do too.

I am missing Toby as well, and wonder how he is getting on.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
How can Jeremy Hunt get away with imposing a contract on junior doctors? Look no further than the other Jeremy
The normal restraints of Parliamentary democracy no longer apply – the Government has a freedom to take unpopular decisions with little threat of electoral payback

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why ... 67841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FFS. Like the Tories haven't been working towards this since 2010 - no from before 2010. They were, sadly, ably abetted by the Lib Dems. More blame should be flung at them than Corbyn. They would be doing this whoever was leading Labour. What a low in journalism we have reached.
It is journalisms real role to help hold government to account, I was taught that by a wonderful editor.*

Alas, in this country something is awry with journalism and has been for a long time.

*He would have had me for absence of apostrophes, as some of you would probably like to! :D
Last edited by seeingclearly on Thu 11 Feb, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Radio 4 this morning played a tape of gravitational waves represented in sound form.
It sounded just like something from The Clangers.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Another shot in the bows from the supposedly staunch Conservative Yorkshire Post ...
The Yorkshire Post ‏@yorkshirepost 26m26 minutes ago
Tom Richmond: The North is fast losing all its faith in you, Mr Osborne

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opi ... -1-7726309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
... The belief that the Northern Powerhouse is a token PR exercise is highlighted by a Government forward planning document which, helpfully, reveals major speeches being planned. This includes a “Northern Powerhouse ministerial starburst” in April ahead of the initiative’s second anniversary. A “starburst”? What is this? A kind of sweetener to keep critics quiet? I’d say it’s some kind of wheeze that Mr Osborne picked up at the Super Bowl but the briefing document was, in fact, written before this ill-advised jaunt.

What it is, however, is evidence about the extent to which the Government puts political spin before economic substance and why the Chancellor must use next month’s Budget to regain the initiative...
A ministerial 'starburst' - :lol: - the canny people of Yorkshire are right to smell a rat - it stinks of PR crap. It stinks of Osborne and Cameron.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

It is journalisms real role to help hold government to account, I was taught that by a wonderful editor. Alas, in this country something is awry with journalism and has been for a long time.
I read yesterday we have the most right wing press in Europe...
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

seeingclearly wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

It is journalisms real role to help hold government to account, I was taught that by a wonderful editor. Alas, in this country something is awry with journalism and has been for a long time.
There are plenty of other parties to vote for if people are unhappy with the Tories. The Tories have a majority because people voted for them, and will continue to vote for them just as long as the media keep presenting risible proclamations, such as needing the new doctors contract to achieve 7 day NHS, as credible statements, rather than the steaming pile of horse manure they actually are.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Another shot in the bows from the supposedly staunch Conservative Yorkshire Post ...

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opi ... -1-7726309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
... The belief that the Northern Powerhouse is a token PR exercise is highlighted by a Government forward planning document which, helpfully, reveals major speeches being planned. This includes a “Northern Powerhouse ministerial starburst” in April ahead of the initiative’s second anniversary. A “starburst”? What is this? A kind of sweetener to keep critics quiet? I’d say it’s some kind of wheeze that Mr Osborne picked up at the Super Bowl but the briefing document was, in fact, written before this ill-advised jaunt.

What it is, however, is evidence about the extent to which the Government puts political spin before economic substance and why the Chancellor must use next month’s Budget to regain the initiative...
A ministerial 'starburst' - :lol: - the canny people of Yorkshire are right to smell a rat - it stinks of PR crap. It stinks of Osborne and Cameron.

Osborne's probably going to turn up brandishing a packet of Opal Fruits - they were recently rebranded as Starburst.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Another shot in the bows from the supposedly staunch Conservative Yorkshire Post ...

Starburst, previously known as "opal fruits"
current slogan: "unexplainably juicy"?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

QT Panel Tonight.jpg
QT Panel Tonight.jpg (47.53 KiB) Viewed 4914 times
Don't think I can bring myself to watch. 3 of my least favourite people on it ... and I'm not talking about Romesh.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Starburst. Something that lasts a few seconds. A sticky sweet. Not a beginning but an end. etc. etc. etc.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinybgoat wrote:

Starburst, previously known as "opal fruits"
current slogan: "unexplainably juicy"?
:lol:

It gets worse -
Starburst ‏@Starburst Feb 10
About to unwrap a Starburst? Tell your tongue to grab an umbrella because it’s about to be showered with juiciness

Hope the poor sods in Yorkshire remember to take their macs and brollies when the Tory PR bandwagon rolls into town.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

seeingclearly wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
I do too.

I am missing Toby as well, and wonder how he is getting on.
He's been absent for rather a long time ... Worrying
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bill Esterson ‏@Bill_Esterson 4m4 minutes ago
Bill Esterson Retweeted Jon Stone
You really couldn't make that up

Jon StoneVerified account ‏@joncstone
Jeremy Hunt forces junior doctors into a contract they don't want, then launches urgent inquiry into morale http://ind.pn/1SjGVWp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
QT Panel Tonight.jpg
Don't think I can bring myself to watch. 3 of my least favourite people on it ... and I'm not talking about Romesh.

I bet Goody Two Shoes Wood spends more time bashing Carwyn than Crabb or Farage.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
QT Panel Tonight.jpg

I bet Goody Two Shoes Wood spends more time bashing Carwyn than Crabb or Farage.
Oh yes, that's a given.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I've got a bit hysterical about the starburst thing.
My Yorkshire husband's response to hearing about it was at first unprintable. He's now wandering around darkly muttering 'Northern Powerhouse' and suggesting Castleford's rugby front row are there to meet Osborne.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Night all. Hope JA's getting some respite from her eye problem.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

OGRPPFGTCC has now decided to postpone any vote on Trident until after the EU referendum.

I can't decide if this is laziness, cowardice, or just more political manoeuvring to embarrass Labour.

On embarrassment - what has cheered me on what has been a pretty dismal day is that now nearly half of the NHS executives who were said to be supporters of Hunt's new contract, er, aren't.
These people are very senior and experienced managers, some of them are extremely influential - they are not the sort of people any politician should upset, or indeed, lie about.

Tee hee hee.....
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I find the very idea of the North ever having had any faith in the mouth-wateringly awful George Osborne impossible to get to grips with. That he'd chew them up and then spit them out (I think Starburst is a stablemate of Wrigleys?) was always a given.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:I find the very idea of the North ever having had any faith in the mouth-wateringly awful George Osborne impossible to get to grips with. That he'd chew them up and then spit them out (I think Starburst is a stablemate of Wrigleys?) was always a given.

Ohh - I've nicked your "given". I've only just seen it!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/News/Stori ... ce-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Court closures will deepen inequalities in the justice system
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils - that last was meant for rebeccariots2.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

They may have expressed an opinion as to new contract as fair/workable etc,but against imposition.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:Bumboils - that last was meant for rebeccariots2.
Bumboils - a given - and very very juicy at that.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/News/Stori ... ce-system/
Looks a pretty forensic way to say keep your hands off our courts. Certainly shows up the holes in the argument.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Natalie Rowe
‏@RealNatalieRowe
http://gu.com/p/4gj6k/stw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; He his getting off light. He should be on trial. Apparently he is being sued by the victim. No mention in Press
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I was going to use expletive but had a picture of assembled judiciary, the whole lot, wigs and gowns, and before Cameron can present his argument they all shout 'Fuck offffffffff !'.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ham ‏@profchrisham 60m60 minutes ago
At what point will presidents of Royal Colleges intervene in the junior doctors dispute? Time for statesmanship to prevail?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

seeingclearly wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/News/Stori ... ce-system/
Looks a pretty forensic way to say keep your hands off our courts. Certainly shows up the holes in the argument.
There really shouldn't be any inequalities in our legal system. That any exist and are likely to be still deepened is totally unacceptable.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Clare Gerada ‏@clarercgp 2m2 minutes ago
What we will see now is loss of altruism - rise of sickness levels amongst JDs and loss through emigration.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I will have to go to bed early tonight.

My joints are playing up something chronic.......but I cannot countenance Farridge, Crabby, and Woody Two Shoes on one QT panel.

I hope Carwyn makes mincemeat of them.

I am willing to bet that Nige might have a bot of a problem with the traffic again. UKIP in Wales is even more chaotic than usual today - that creep Gill is facing a petition from UKIP members to go away........how I wish he would. Not that his replacement would be any use to man or beast.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Foster
‏@andrewkfoster
@sanjaysastry The letter we supported was a different one to that published today.
Says it all about Unt.