Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 22nd & Sunday 23rd October 2016

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

Writing for The Telegraph, he said: “It fills me with slight unease. Why? Because it suggests either the academic world knows something the electorate doesn’t or we’re hopelessly out of touch.
/...
Franky if the academic world doesn't know something (actually quite a lot of things) that the electorate don't know then the academic world simply isn't doing its job.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:GAURANG ‏@gaurangmorjaria Oct 21
#WitneyByElection
Conservative vote: 45.1%
LibD+Lab+Green: 48.7%
10th Safest Tory Seat
Maj. slashed by 20000
#LeftAlliance would've won
The Lib Dems are NOT left wing. They're no longer even centrist. We've just had 5 years of them proving that to all who could be bothered to pay any attention. So, no, an alliance involving those lying, back stabbing bastards would not have been a win for the left.
The lib dems would have to crawl naked over broken glass begging for forgiveness for their behaviour since 2010 before I'd look twice at them again. They're happy with the idea of apologies, they shouted at Labour about the fucking deficit often enough.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Temulkar.

Insomnia has the one advantage of buying time to indulge in pointless pursuits. Please find at the following link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=949&start=100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the original discussion on flouncing, in those halcyon days, when FTN hadn't (quite at that point) triggered itself another crisis.

You'll note the term flounce the nest (or more accurately flouncethenest) was coined by one Mr Toby Latimer. A man much admired and much missed.

TC
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 23 Oct, 2016 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PS. There is a post by yourself on the same page thanked by:

Maeght • RobertSnozers • ohsocynical • utopiandreams • yahyah • thatchersorphan • RogerOThornhill • JustMom

Most have now gone. I miss them all (ie: the ones that are gone - to clarify)
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 23 Oct, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Dispiritingly, even at 5.00 in the morning when no-one is posting, guests disappear when I turn up.

(rueful, I've only ever been to two parties not three like Hillary emoticon)
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

Morning tc.

I signed in a few hours ago to speak but my typing stutter got the better of me, as it often does, so I'm thinking of having a last cigarette before trying for sleep again. Just so you know you're not alone just in the quiet spaces for a moment.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Morning Fedup!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

On CETA:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 75096.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His Labour colleague Steve Reed tweeted: “Belgian province blocks EU-Canada trade deal, any tiny EU country can do same to UK thx [thanks] to Brexit.”
Proponents of the Canada deal say the it would yield billions in added trade through tariff cuts and other measures to lower barriers to commerce. At the same time, the EU says it will keep in place the region's strong safeguards on social, environmental and labour issues. The Walloon government have concerns that the Ceta deal would undermine labour, environment and consumer standards and allow multinationals to crush local firms.
As with the Russell Group Chair - things are not mutually exclusive.

a) this demonstrates (further) that the EU will be difficult to negotiate with after Brexit
b) it demonstrates that Canada might well be easier to negotiate with after Brexit (except that we wouldn't need to if this gets resolved and we'd stayed in)
BUT THERE ARE IMPLICATIONS THAT
c) Brits risk less protection - with respect to social, environmental and labour issues (most of which Brexiters, according to Ashcroft's poll tend to think are a force for ill so that's OK, given that our negotiators will be Brexiters ...)
d) Consumer standards may decline (further) and British SMEs might face (even) stiffer competition (ditto)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I like that we've got to the point where it's politically incorrect to think that someone who knows nothing about an issue is ignorant of it.

Post-modernism gone mad! (eh Beryl?)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

tinyclanger2 wrote:PS. There is a post by yourself on the same page thanked by:

Maeght • RobertSnozers • ohsocynical • utopiandreams • yahyah • thatchersorphan • RogerOThornhill • JustMom

Most have now gone. I miss them all.
Hey, I'm still here! I disappeared off to Derby for a day or so but back now.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

A consequence of the referendum that I'd missed.

" Then there is a lingering legacy of the coalition years. When the Conservative and Lib Dem ministers first went into government together, they colluded in the fiction that they were all one big happy family. As time went on and tensions increased, they became more open about ventilating their differences in public. This loosened the bonds of collective responsibility. They were then shattered when David Cameron permitted his cabinet to campaign on both sides of the Brexit referendum. Ministers acquired the habit of arguing with each other on TV – and in the most vituperative terms."

The crew are cutting each other’s throats on Mrs May’s leaking ship

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... aking-ship" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

" Then there is a lingering legacy of the coalition years. When the Conservative and Lib Dem ministers first went into government together, they colluded in the fiction that they were all one big happy family. As time went on and tensions increased, they became more open about ventilating their differences in public. This loosened the bonds of collective responsibility. They were then shattered when David Cameron permitted his cabinet to campaign on both sides of the Brexit referendum. Ministers acquired the habit of arguing with each other on TV – and in the most vituperative terms."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... aking-ship" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, that was a huge mistake on Cameron's part.

Usually cabinet collective responsibility is suspended only on moral issues where the government has no view. But the government did take a position on this and anyone in the cabinet who wasn't happy about this should have been made to stand aside. The idea that you could be in the cabinet yet disagree with your own government's position was ludicrous.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:PS. There is a post by yourself on the same page thanked by:

Most have now gone. I miss them all.
Hey, I'm still here! I disappeared off to Derby for a day or so but back now.
Indeed - and it's a good job!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Yes, that was a huge mistake on Cameron's part.

Usually cabinet collective responsibility is suspended only on moral issues where the government has no view. But the government did take a position on this and anyone in the cabinet who wasn't happy about this should have been made to stand aside. The idea that you could be in the cabinet yet disagree with your own government's position was ludicrous.
The Heathrow / Gatwick decision is heading the same way without a questioning peep from the news media. Contrast that to the mention of Trident to Labour ministers.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Sees line-up. Resolves to avoid today's Peston on Sunday at all costs.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:Sees line-up. Resolves to avoid today's Peston on Sunday at all costs.
Who's on, then?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ationalism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who voted for the intolerance poisoning the national conversation?

This weekend marks four months since the country voted to leave the European Union and there is as yet no consensus on how we progress. We are a nation stuck in an impasse, where a language and culture of intolerance are beginning to emerge. Left unchecked, this could take us to a place where neither Leave nor Remain voters intended us to go.
Unfortunately I think it is exactly where a signficant proportion of Leave voters wanted us to go. We know that politicians have legitimised and fuelled this - and they must step in immediately to stop it. But instead we get Rudd and May, and a not nearly vocal enough (yet?) opposition.

This needs stopping quickly and authoritatively starting with a reversals on crap about the age of people fleeing warzones, "naming and shaming" multicultural businesses etc.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

That there are calls for Lineker to lose his job for being humane while the thug Clarkson remains a hero says it all.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Sees line-up. Resolves to avoid today's Peston on Sunday at all costs.
Who's on, then?
That'd help!
Nigel Farage, Jess Phillips, Angela Eagle, Kwasi Kwarteng.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@StephenDolan

Thanks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Suzanne Evans to run for UKIP leadership

Suzanne Evans has said she is going to run for the leadership of UKIP, saying she would make the party the "common sense centre" ground of politics. (BBC news)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ion-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Food, Immigration and the UK.

Brexit: turning England into a big version of pre-2004 Boston (Linconlshire).
Sounds tip-top doesn't it Beryl?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/#.UnntO5R4YxM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the Unlikely Event that Calvin channels Theresa May
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

“What has happened here in Britain is such a great story, an untold story, in how all these foods, from India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, were distilled into something else here, the British curry. And it is British – after all there is nowhere else in the world you will find onion bhaji-flavoured crisps. We are exporting mango chutney to India!”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... ion-brexit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ironically it seems the good citizens of Boston (76% leave) do enjoy a curry: https://www.google.co.uk/#q=boston+uk+curry+house" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Yo there flying nesters - thought you might like to see my collection of autumnal #BrexitViews, I snapped this week across our fine country.
Dan

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-pictures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Meanwhile ...
Why is the Government dawdling over a law that police and public agree would protect children online?

In 2014 the Government promised it would bring in a law to make sexually messaging children a crime, something the police say would be a huge help in the fight against online grooming. We are still waiting for them to act on their words
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/why ... 75726.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Anger as ‘panicking’ Home Office puts minors in detention centre
Source claims officials ‘didn’t do anything’ for weeks after closure of Calais camp was proposed and are not ready to place minors with their families

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... tre-calais" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Just picked up a leaflet put through the door by the local Tories.
Best of luck, Theresa!
xxxxxx xxxxxx Tories would like to wish our new Prime Minister, Theresa May, the best of luck in her new position.

As we begin the Brexit negotiations with the European Union we are lucky to have a strong government united behind its leadership.
The comedic value is enhanced by the title of the leaflet - In Touch.

:D
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tory health minister calls Brexit vote 'a terrible mistake'
Lord Prior of Brampton, health minister in the House of Lords, urges Theresa May to fight to stay in single market

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... le-mistake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Just picked up a leaflet put through the door by the local Tories.
Best of luck, Theresa!
xxxxxx xxxxxx Tories would like to wish our new Prime Minister, Theresa May, the best of luck in her new position.

As we begin the Brexit negotiations with the European Union we are lucky to have a strong government united behind its leadership.
The comedic value is enhanced by the title of the leaflet - In Touch.

:D
"we are lucky to have a strong government united behind its leadership"
Comedy gold indeed
(From link above)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... aking-ship" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Observer view on Britain becoming mean and narrow-minded
Observer editorial

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

DfE ‏@educationgovuk 2m2 minutes ago
We’d like to know what you think about our plans to create more good school places. This video summarises proposals: http://ow.ly/EoSS305aSdQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Why ?
CHRISTMAS ARRIVES EARLIER THAN EVER IN PENARTH
Posted on October 23, 2016

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2016/ ... n-penarth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hot cross buns will be next in line....
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:The Observer view on Britain becoming mean and narrow-minded
Observer editorial

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It featured Dizzee Rascal and Rowan Atkinson, Arctic Monkeys and the London Symphonic Orchestra. It was, according to writer Jonathan Freedland, “a byword for a new approach, not only to British culture but to Britishness itself. Politicians would soon be referring to it, using it as shorthand for a new kind of patriotism that does not lament a vanished Britain but loves the country that has changed.” It was hailed abroad and Britain, it seemed, had shown itself to the world as a vibrant, open, confident, multicultural country.

That all seems like a long time ago.
It does indeed.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Why ?

https://penarthnews.wordpress.com/2016/ ... n-penarth/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It always amuses me that many of the people that complain about xmas coming too early are the same ones that believe it's been banned by PC gone mad
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Remember you're a Clanger!

oh. sorry. easily confused.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'm dreaming of a flooded Winterval.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Womble44 wrote:

It always amuses me that many of the people that complain about xmas coming too early are the same ones that believe it's been banned by PC gone mad
Err - I don't like Christmas arriving so early as this (which is why I posted the link) but no way do I fall into the it's been banned by PC gone mad category.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Womble44 wrote:

Err - I don't like Christmas arriving so early as this (which is why I posted the link) but no way do I fall into the it's been banned by PC gone mad category.
Wasn't suggesting you did, just an observation. I have work colleagues who subscribe to both of these views
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

As long as they aren't lighting them yet, I don't mind them getting the lights up. Probably works out cheaper in some way with the contractors, and local budgets are ever shrinking. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up staying up all year if it's cheaper.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Try working in Retail. We've* been working on Christmas since April (Far East suppliers) and we've now almost finished Christmas**, from a workload point of view.

*I work in the head offices for a national retailer
**Just starting for our store staff (no decorations up yet though, phew)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Womble44 wrote:As long as they aren't lighting them yet, I don't mind them getting the lights up. Probably works out cheaper in some way with the contractors, and local budgets are ever shrinking. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up staying up all year if it's cheaper.
Where I live, they never take them down.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.52341 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

refitman wrote:
Womble44 wrote:As long as they aren't lighting them yet, I don't mind them getting the lights up. Probably works out cheaper in some way with the contractors, and local budgets are ever shrinking. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up staying up all year if it's cheaper.
Where I live, they never take them down.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.52341 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where I live, if we want anything like that, we have to do it ourselves. Residents here are responsible for cutting the grass at the local park!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Off topic but I'd appreciate views from people who use Kindles etc.

Having previously sworn I'd never buy a digital reading device, the time is coming where I may need to dip my toes into the water and use one for a project I'm working on.

Any recommendations/warnings about which brands to avoid would be gratefully received.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

yahyah wrote:Off topic but I'd appreciate views from people who use Kindles etc.

Having previously sworn I'd never buy a digital reading device, the time is coming where I may need to dip my toes into the water and use one for a project I'm working on.

Any recommendations/warnings about which brands to avoid would be gratefully received.
A few people at work use them and have all been very happy with them
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is quite funny.

Gary Lineker’s critics just can’t handle freedom of speech

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016 ... of-speech/
There, in microcosm, you see how debate has changed in this country. Everyone’s switched sides.

Because, until quite recently, it was the socially conservative who complained that “you can’t say anything nowadays” without causing outrage among the socially liberal. Now, it’s the socially liberal who complain that “you can’t say anything nowadays” without causing outrage among the socially conservative.

It’s fascinating: a complete role reversal. What are the people calling for Lineker to lose his job, after all, if not hyper-sensitive “special snowflakes” who are trying to “no-platform” someone, merely because he expressed an opinion they didn’t like? Why do they find the word racist so “triggering”? Is their generation so cosseted it can’t handle a bit of criticism? Can’t Lineker even mention immigration without people jumping down his throat? Aren’t they just shutting down debate about his legitimate concerns, by taking offence and playing the victim card? Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Honestly. It’s political incorrectness gone mad.
Quite.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:Off topic but I'd appreciate views from people who use Kindles etc.

My grandson uses his phone to access Google Books, buy's what he wants and downloads them to the phone where he stores them to read or pops them over to his computer for later reading (after transferring back to the phone).

Google Books https://play.google.com/store/books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:

My grandson uses his phone to access Google Books, buy's what he wants and downloads them to the phone where he stores them to read or pops them over to his computer for later reading (after transferring back to the phone).

Google Books https://play.google.com/store/books" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do the same, using a mix of the Kindle app, Kobo, Google Books and a separate ebook app. An actual Kindle will be much easier to read though.