Tuesday 10th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 10th January 2017

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:When is Corbyn actually giving this much trailed speech, anyway? I'm looking forward to finding out how accurate the speculations of the Graun in particular were.
Isn't it more likely he'll have dropped big chunks of it, if it's different?
Well possibly, but it has been noted none of the quoted sections from it (in various places) back up the Graun claim he will say "Brexit will make us better off" in particular.

The spin both the Mirror and LabourList put on it was notably different.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ah fair point.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Radio 4 this morning said he would say Brexit could make us better. Could not would.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Ben Chu always worth reading

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jer ... 19331.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This sounds important.

Judith Freedman
‏@JudithFreedman Judith Freedman Retweeted Richard_Asquith
Will CCCTB go ahead if UK is not a decision maker? Maybe only for a small group
The Common Consolidated Corporate Tax Base (CCCTB) is a single set of rules to calculate companies' taxable profits in the EU.

With the CCCTB, cross-border companies will only have to comply with one, single EU system for computing their taxable income, rather than many different national rulebooks.

Companies can file one tax return for all of their EU activities, and offset losses in one Member State against profits in another.

The consolidated taxable profits will be shared between the Member States in which the group is active, using an apportionment formula. Each Member State will then tax its share of the profits at its own national tax rate.
I don't know if it's going ahead or what the implications are.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:Radio 4 this morning said he would say Brexit could make us better. Could not would.
Unlikely, though.

At least, the sentiments that appear to have driven Brexit don't encourage me to think the UK will react to being poorer and having less influence in the world by becoming a more caring, sharing place somehow.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

"Either you do a cap or you look at the levels of disparity within organisations," he said. "Other countries have got some policies developing this and I think we need to consult with them and learn some lessons on this."
I'll wait and see if they work first, thanks. In the meantime I'll use the tax system as we have it to make incremental improvements.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Latest Welsh Barometer poll.

For Westminster, Labour, Tories and Ukip all down. Only party showing increased % is the Lib Dems up 2.

Worse for Labour at the Assembly, again Lib Dems up.

This link is for academic Roger Scully's blog, and his comments. He hasn't yet learned that he should forget about polls. ;)

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinw ... eter-poll/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38561501" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So he personally actually is "wedded to freedom of movement", and was really talking about a more regulated labour market?

Good lord.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Willow904 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Radio 4 this morning said he would say Brexit could make us better. Could not would.
Unlikely, though.

At least, the sentiments that appear to have driven Brexit don't encourage me to think the UK will react to being poorer and having less influence in the world by becoming a more caring, sharing place somehow.
Unlikely, I agree.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Can't remember what the multiple used is, but the Chair of John Lewis's re-numeration is linked to so many times what the lowest paid JL/Waitrose partner earns. Think it has always been part of the JL Constitution which rules how the company operates.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:Ben Chu always worth reading

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jer ... 19331.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to ignore Labour's commitment to remaining in the Customs Union. Not that I particularly think the Tories are inclined to leave the Customs Union, but they haven't as yet made a commitment even on this much.

Not to mention Corbyn's idea of immigration controls looks more like Ed Miliband's EU friendly proposals than Ukip's total ban.

The fly in the ointment for me isn't immigration but Corbyn's attachment to industrial subsidies. I can't see anyone wanting to give us good trade terms on that basis, let alone the EU.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Remember the stick Ed got for the mugs that mentioned immigration control ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Is this the reboot speech today ? Thought it was going to be tomorrow.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:Can't remember what the multiple used is, but the Chair of John Lewis's re-numeration is linked to so many times what the lowest paid JL/Waitrose partner earns. Think it has always been part of the JL Constitution which rules how the company operates.
75 I read somewhere or that could've been Lloyd's.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks. I used to work for them, so did my other half. I did know once.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:When is Corbyn actually giving this much trailed speech, anyway? I'm looking forward to finding out how accurate the speculations of the Graun in particular were.
Isn't it more likely he'll have dropped big chunks of it, if it's different?
Well possibly, but it has been noted none of the quoted sections from it (in various places) back up the Graun claim he will say "Brexit will make us better off" in particular.

The spin both the Mirror and LabourList put on it was notably different.

Cue the calls of "rowing back", "disarray" afterwards...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Going to be rowing back on the maximum wage, I reckon. Downgraded to "asking the right questions" or similar.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: As you know, I backed Labour for decades. I'd love the Labour party that was pro-free movement a year ago to still be in favour of it. But it isn't. I'd like there to be an option to return to the government of 1997-2010. But that is not on the ballot paper.
(cJA edit)

If I demand a political party 'stand for' everything I 'stand for', I couldn't vote for any of them. Your suggestion isn't realistic.
There seems to be a massive contradiction there anyway. The Blairites are the ones falling over themselves to say we should respond to 'concerns about immigration', surely Burnham, Kinnock, Reeves et al would be the people in a 'New Labour' govt now if we had one.

SH, all we know is that you say you backed labour for decades. I take it as seriously as I do those btl posters at the G who say they voted remain but now think we should get on with leaving.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

In fairness, SH did say the Blairites didn't represent him any more.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

gilsey wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: As you know, I backed Labour for decades. I'd love the Labour party that was pro-free movement a year ago to still be in favour of it. But it isn't. I'd like there to be an option to return to the government of 1997-2010. But that is not on the ballot paper.
(cJA edit)

If I demand a political party 'stand for' everything I 'stand for', I couldn't vote for any of them. Your suggestion isn't realistic.
There seems to be a massive contradiction there anyway. The Blairites are the ones falling over themselves to say we should respond to 'concerns about immigration', surely Burnham, Kinnock, Reeves et al would be the people in a 'New Labour' govt now if we had one.

SH, all we know is that you say you backed labour for decades. I take it as seriously as I do those btl posters at the G who say they voted remain but now think we should get on with leaving.

And I have loudly and repeatedly here and elsewhere condemned Burnham, Kinnock and Reeves for this and said repeatedly that Corbyn deserves credit. As I have said, no wing of Labour now speaks for me, certainly not Andy "safety of our streets" Burnham.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: So he personally actually is "wedded to freedom of movement", and was really talking about a more regulated labour market?

Good lord.
That's what he's been saying all along, isn't it?
When you read or listen to him, rather than commentators.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hopefully those bad figures for Welsh Labour (worse than Jez UK Labour) might make Carwyn think twice about his Kipper impressions.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:In fairness, SH did say the Blairites didn't represent him any more.
Rock and a hard place eh, hope it hurts.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: So he personally actually is "wedded to freedom of movement", and was really talking about a more regulated labour market?

Good lord.
That's what he's been saying all along, isn't it?
When you read or listen to him, rather than commentators.
I did listen. Freedom of movement is freedom of movement, whatever the labour market is like in the host country. Poles going to work in Norway or Britain are "freedom of movement".
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

John Mann. As predictable as ever. Still, pleasantly surprised to hear Debbie Abrahams on wato.

I agree with AK (sorry Owen Jones), there's no reason why the Tories can't be hit on multiple fronts,so long as each cuts through to the public consciousness.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
yahyah wrote:Can't remember what the multiple used is, but the Chair of John Lewis's re-numeration is linked to so many times what the lowest paid JL/Waitrose partner earns. Think it has always been part of the JL Constitution which rules how the company operates.
Pedant alert.

Lloyd's is the insurance market thing.

Lloyds is the bank.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:John Mann. As predictable as ever. Still, pleasantly surprised to hear Debbie Abrahams on wato.

I agree with AK (sorry Owen Jones), there's no reason why the Tories can't be hit on multiple fronts,so long as each cuts through to the public consciousness.
Trouble is he can't punch a hole in a political wet echo.

Brexit and Health are enough to be going on with, for any politician.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Pedant alert.

Lloyds is the bank.
If we're being pedantic, Lloyds might be the bank but could also be the pharmacy.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, has said that a Brext deal that jeopardised trade between the UK and Germany would be “the heigh of insanity”. Taking questions in the Commons he said:
As you will know very well there is now a big operation going on by UKTI (UK Trade & Investment), by British diplomacy to point out the salient facts that German investment in this country is responsible for about 344,000 jobs here in the UK, UK investment in Germany is responsible for 222,000 jobs. It would be the height of insanity to imperil either of those sets of investments.
:wall:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Pedant alert.

Lloyds is the bank.
I blame SwiftKey ;)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:
Boris Johnson, the foreign secretary, has said that a Brext deal that jeopardised trade between the UK and Germany would be “the heigh of insanity”. Taking questions in the Commons he said:
As you will know very well there is now a big operation going on by UKTI (UK Trade & Investment), by British diplomacy to point out the salient facts that German investment in this country is responsible for about 344,000 jobs here in the UK, UK investment in Germany is responsible for 222,000 jobs. It would be the height of insanity to imperil either of those sets of investments.
See here, yes, incredible, isn't it?
The world done gone crazy.
Crazy.
It's like flying in the dark living with people like this here B Johnson and assorted.
Stay together, vote Tories out, drink plenty of water, eat whole foods and go on frequent walks, preferably where no motor vehicles are allowed to go.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

gilsey wrote:
:smack: :smack: :smack:
I said ages ago that Johnson would be the first to start backing out and say leave can't be done. Only one with the gall to do it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: 75 I read somewhere or that could've been Lloyd's.
Pedant alert.

Lloyds is the bank.
I blame SwiftKey ;)
I thought we were discussing John Lewis?!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
We're negotiating with Germany, are we?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I mean, if you were to name a government and people who didn't do any homework on salient facts, you'd say "Germany", wouldn't you?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:John Mann. As predictable as ever. Still, pleasantly surprised to hear Debbie Abrahams on wato.

Trouble is he can't punch a hole in a political wet echo.

Brexit and Health are enough to be going on with, for any politician.
I respectfully disagree.

As opposed to the

"No. " popular responses by some. :wink:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

citizenJA wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: Pedant alert.

Lloyds is the bank.
I blame SwiftKey ;)
I thought we were discussing John Lewis?!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
LOL, indeed.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Willow904 wrote:
3.30pm according to Sparrow. Politicians of all stripes are in agreement that it's important to save all their most interesting pronouncements for when most people have returned to work from lunch and stay at home mums are safely out of the way on the school run, hence 3pm/3.30pm is the preferred time for these sorts of things.
Never knew that & I'm surprised tbh seeing as stay at home mums are more likely to have the TV on and therefore pick up snippets even if not actually watching, than mums at work.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote: We're negotiating with Germany, are we?
The last Tory PM to negotiate with Germany didn't do it terribly well. Given the current foreign secretary's diplomatic skills, I await the outcome of any of his negotiations with some trepidation.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Greg Wood
‏@Greg_Wood_
BREAKING: Kempton Park to be bulldozed for housing under plans revealed by Jockey Club Racecourses in London this morning.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That'll cause some ructions
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Apparently something called an "investment economy" appeared in Corbyn's interview on Today.

Much to it, beyond scary numbers for borrowing and money printing?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Before I scurry off to the kitchen (baked spuds with selection of toppings for us btw) can I just commend all FTNers for the lively, informative debate here today. Great stuff ;-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Before I scurry off to the kitchen (baked spuds with selection of toppings for us btw) can I just commend all FTNers for the lively, informative debate here today. Great stuff ;-)
Grated Red Leicester and lime pickle on mine please.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

pk1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
3.30pm according to Sparrow. Politicians of all stripes are in agreement that it's important to save all their most interesting pronouncements for when most people have returned to work from lunch and stay at home mums are safely out of the way on the school run, hence 3pm/3.30pm is the preferred time for these sorts of things.
Never knew that & I'm surprised tbh seeing as stay at home mums are more likely to have the TV on and therefore pick up snippets even if not actually watching, than mums at work.
Well, I may be exaggerating a little, but it certainly seems like every time there's a political speech I might like to listen to it manages to start just as I'm heading out the door!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

R 5 might be covering the speech live, just caught a "..and JC's speech will be starting soon"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

StephenDolan wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Before I scurry off to the kitchen (baked spuds with selection of toppings for us btw) can I just commend all FTNers for the lively, informative debate here today. Great stuff ;-)
Grated Red Leicester and lime pickle on mine please.
I put lime pickle on macaroni cheese once - not to be recommend. :lol:
(But do love it with baked potatoes :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:R 5 might be covering the speech live, just caught a "..and JC's speech will be starting soon"
...it's on now
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Really odd to be focusing on "rising inequality" given those ONS figures out today. Do you think they expected them to show the opposite?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:Really odd to be focusing on "rising inequality" given those ONS figures out today. Do you think they expected them to show the opposite?
Nah, he doesn't do any work. His mates from marches all think it's rising.

He's of course right that it's too high and been so since the late 80s.