Wednesday 11th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday 11th January 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:As a policy wonk type (I mean that kindly) you don't belong with the "here's an idea, stick it in the manifesto" Green Party either. The laughable rubbish on pay that Corbyn came out with yesterday isn't the half of it.

What else do I do? Float and judge on the individual candidate?

I do (bonestly) care about Green issues like climate change. I know that the Greens have lots of fruitloop policies (eg universal income). But they are not immoral, and they are on my side broadly. They are also exactly right on the biggest issue: Europe. I'm not voting for a party led by the Chair of the Stop the War Coalition. It wouldn't matter to me what he did, I'd think it immoral to do so. So, I have to make a choice and it will be less than optimal. I don't have an optimal choice. I do however enjoy the freedom of abandoning party. Too many people see politics as a game, like football, where you support your team regardless of what they do.
What's wrong with the universal income policy? I haven't thought hard about it.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:As a policy wonk type (I mean that kindly) you don't belong with the "here's an idea, stick it in the manifesto" Green Party either. The laughable rubbish on pay that Corbyn came out with yesterday isn't the half of it.

I do (bonestly) care about Green issues like climate change. I know that the Greens have lots of fruitloop policies (eg universal income). But they are not immoral, and they are on my side broadly. They are also exactly right on the biggest issue: Europe. I'm not voting for a party led by the Chair of the Stop the War Coalition. It wouldn't matter to me what he did, I'd think it immoral to do so. So, I have to make a choice and it will be less than optimal. I don't have an optimal choice. I do however enjoy the freedom of abandoning party. Too many people see politics as a game, like football, where you support your team regardless of what they do.
Basically the numbers don't work, especially because of housing costs in London and the south east. Once you've made exceptions (for serious disabilities for example) you lose the pot that you were trying to redistribute. The Adam Smith Instititute backs it, which should tell people of the left something.

It also doesn't work well in a world of freedom of movement, but as that is ending I suppose that is one fewer objection.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Andrea Jenkyns has called for the red cross boss to resign.

Tories gonna Tory.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Sounds like a right kicking for May from Simon Stevens.

This, I presume, was on the cards. Couldn't "the Jez relaunch" have waited until afterwards? The policies could have been checked over by someone outside his kitchen cabinet too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Basically the numbers don't work, especially because of housing costs in London and the south east. Once you've made exceptions (for serious disabilities for example) you lose the pot that you were trying to redistribute. The Adam Smith Instititute backs it, which should tell people of the left something.

It also doesn't work well in a world of freedom of movement, but as that is ending I suppose that is one fewer objection.

Well indeed. Why do you want to be in a party with people who put forward a policy like that twice before breakfast?
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Wed 11 Jan, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@Paul

There is an evidence session tomorrow on CI at the DWP select commitee tomorrow.I am not going to bore myself but more importantly others as to my opinion,again beyond saying there already is a nominal legal amount that people should not go lower than,in effect of course this is easilly changeable by other means,naive to think,either in purposeful initial design or in future Governments would stop.doing so.Particularly the support in lieu of income,an already used tactic.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Sounds like a right kicking for May from Simon Stevens.

This, I presume, was on the cards. Couldn't "the Jez relaunch" have waited until afterwards? The policies could have been checked over by someone outside his kitchen cabinet too.
Yes agreed. When the idea of changing tack by the leadership was discussed in December they should have planned for Stevens being hung out to dry in the middle of January.

:roll:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That's what this lot always do- hang the senior civil servants out to dry. The relevant trade union the FDA have made that point.

Isn't he supposed to be in touch with unions?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Andrea Jenkyns MP
‏@andreajenkyns
Great to hear from Secretary of State @Jeremy_Hunt that we have 1600 more doctors than a year ago. Fantastic news.
Yeah, well done for letting people who started qualifying under Labour finish their course.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jesus Christ, that Trump appearance was awful.

Farage isn't by any means deluding himself in thinking he could help him.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Any truth in this do we think?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -franchise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

southern-rail-labour-inquiry-franchise

Sorry if I've missed earlier discussion.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 1h1 hour ago
Millions of British jobs, inc 14,000 in #Oldham, & 1000s of biz depend upon access to the single market, without tariffs or customs checks
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 1h1 hour ago
Current UK workforce planning for medium or long term is poor. Migrants fill gaps in eg #NHS #care contribute £20bn pa to economy & more
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Debbie Abrahams ‏@Debbie_abrahams 1h1 hour ago
Millions of British jobs, inc 14,000 in #Oldham, & 1000s of biz depend upon access to the single market, without tariffs or customs checks
I like her.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Sadly Debbie clearly doesn't understand the difference between access to and membership of a single market.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I like her.
Why?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I like her.
Why?
Don't tell him, Pike!

(In any case, he won't remember.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I like her.
I do too.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
I like her.
Why?
Been good in Parliament when I've seen her. Knew her DWP stuff on the Select Committee. And shows in that tweet more sense of the Single Market than the current leadership.

Think she was right in retrospect not to join the rebellion/strike. I see that as good judgement rather than toadying for a job.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Sadly Debbie clearly doesn't understand the difference between access to and membership of a single market.
She says access without tariffs and customs. It's odd not to say membership, but she's talking about the same thing.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Actually, I think "access without tariffs or customs checks" is better than "membership". Spells out what's at stake. "Membership" doesn't really. "Membership without tariffs or customs checks", anyone?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Any truth in this do we think?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -franchise" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

southern-rail-labour-inquiry-franchise

Sorry if I've missed earlier discussion.
A big report on rail franchising was published in Jan 2013. Not much mileage in another general one, but by all means look at these allegations properly.

If he did have to resign, he'd be replaced by someone with basically the same attitude if a less loose tongue.

Ah, apol to MacDonald- he's not suggesting a general one.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Wed 11 Jan, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Actually, I think "access without tariffs or customs checks" is better than "membership". Spells out what's at stake. "Membership" doesn't really. "Membership without tariffs or customs checks", anyone?
Yes, good judgement.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://thirdforcenews.org.uk/tfn-news/u ... -destitute" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Universal Credit leaving people destitute
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... exit-talks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know the SPD are a much diminished force, but add them to Merkel and that's a big chunk of German politics. They're telling us to get stuffed as well. I can't imagine the Greens, Die Linke and Free Democrats are particularly concessionary either. So we're sticking our shirt on an AfD overall majority? Great. Maybe some rogue elements in the car industry will start their own party and win a place in Coalition.

You could take the view it's pre-election bluster. Why then are we doing Article 50 before this election?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... nings-snow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Weather warnings in place as 'polar maritime airmass' heads for UK
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... unding-row

NHS's Simon Stevens defended by MPs in health funding row
Health service chief to appear before MPs amid reports of tensions with Downing Street over ‘unenthusiastic’ attitude to cuts
Sounds like his appearance is dynamite.

"It doesn't help anybody to pretend there aren't finance gaps"

Yes - and he said that the NHS didn't get all the money it asked for. Although I don't suppose Theresa May accepts that, either.
I get the impression Ms May has a touch of the Canutes.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
Your spelling gets worse and worse.

Edited - tidy up. Possibly.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 11 Jan, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Actually, I think "access without tariffs or customs checks" is better than "membership". Spells out what's at stake. "Membership" doesn't really. "Membership without tariffs or customs checks", anyone?
It also sound less like "remaining in" to die hard line kipperteers
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... an-escobar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Polish minister mocked over meeting with nation of San Escobar
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If the World Cup expands any more,they might have to invent it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Your spelling gets worse and worse.

Edited - tidy up. Possibly.
It's the seething. It impairs focus.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... aphically/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Minister confirms Britain will not leave Europe ‘geographically
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Benefits sanctions office bosses called their own sick member of staff a 'whinger' who didn't deserve treating nicely
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... ate-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will Momentum be able to affiliate to Labour?
The party's current rules bar the group from doing so - and that is unlikely to change.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

HindleA wrote:https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... aphically/

At least the centuries of doffing have ensured we have the brightest and best at the helm.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... aphically/

That will come as a blow to Liam Fox, who said that we are living "post-geography".
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

NHS fears re-raise 'nasty party' worries
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38590170" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My emphasis
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

As always with Laura, it's officially correct usage, though perhaps most commonly associated with poker it seems to me.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Frustrating that they're worried about being perceived as the nasty party.
But not about being it.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Americans have major concerns about the President-elect’s temperament and the direction in which his presidency will lead the country
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 20796.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:roll:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mad ? Bad ? or just plain wicked ?

NHS hospitals in England face £322m tax bill increase from April
Changes to business rates system mean NHS trusts face 21% rise in property tax bill over next five years – but some are fighting for charitable exemption

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... from-april" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Stephen Hitchin, an out-of-hours doctor and an A&E doctor at Chesterfield royal said:
“Chesterfield Royal Hospital have confirmed to the CCG today that they are experiencing SEVERE pressure (RED STATUS) in A&E, Emergency Management Unit, Clinical Decision Unit and critical care beds…This has come from a toxic combination of underinvestment, social care cuts, staff cuts, poor planning and GP surgery shortages. This is a failure of policy from this Government plain & simple. They are to blame & must take responsibility & action to correct this crisis”.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

He added: “Instead of pandering to anti-immigrant sentiment, the Government should be investing in schools, further education and training to ensure British citizens have the skills British business desperately needs.”
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 21991.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
well quite
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:Mad ? Bad ? or just plain wicked ?

NHS hospitals in England face £322m tax bill increase from April
Changes to business rates system mean NHS trusts face 21% rise in property tax bill over next five years – but some are fighting for charitable exemption

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... from-april" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hear Eton will be strapped for cash, too . . .
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"All that rugby puts hairs on your chest
What chance have you got against a tie and a crest?"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

University leaders and academics warn hard Brexit could be disaster
MPs told of risk to decades of progress and cooperation, with German universities ‘snapping at heels’ to attract staff from UK
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opini ... 58418.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If political crisis isn't resolved, vulnerable will suffer the most

Northern Ireland

http://viewdigital.org/2017/01/10/bedro ... nt-crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38578321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 11 Jan, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all...decent day at the library despite the lights failing and then some not coming back on again. Quit before I got strained eyes just using the desk light...

Baverstock Academy closure on again after second government U-turn

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/baverstock-aca ... nt-u-turn/
An academy told it would close down before a volte-face from the schools commissioner has now been informed it will likely be shut down after all.

Baverstock Academy, in Birmingham, was told by the government it could consult on closure, before this decision was reversed in October with the former West Midlands regional schools commissioner Pank Patel stating efforts to find a new sponsor had “progressed positively”.

But despite a vocal campaign from parents and Birmingham Selly Oak MP Steve McCabe, the government has now told the school it can close after all.
As the article goes on to say, and was the subject of an editorial last week, there is a real issue about some schools not being wanted by any sponsor.

It's the sort of question you would hope got asked before they started this massive reorganisation - "what do we do if x, y or z happens?" but obviously didn't.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.