Monday 6th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
adam
First Secretary of State

Re: Monday 6th March 2017

Post by adam »

Off on a different issue, but I thought this was an interesting read on something I had never considered...
A right to repair: why Nebraska farmers are taking on John Deere and Apple
Farmers like fixing their own equipment, but rules imposed by big corporations are making it impossible. Now this small showdown could have a big impact
I'm used this idea in media stuff - you don't buy software, just a license to use a copy of it, or songs from iTunes, you buy a license to listen to a copy of the song for the time being - but tractors?
John Deere has gone as far as to claim that farmers don’t own the tractors they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for, but instead receive a “license to operate the vehicle”. They lock users into license agreements that forbid them from even looking at the software running the tractor or the signals it generates.
It's the kind of thing that should provoke a tell on what Trump actually is - because there's no question how a friend of the honest American working man would behave here
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bloody hell
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

My brother in law used to be an independent mechanic. He gave up (about 15 years ago) because he reckoned that car manufacturers were going to control much more of the maintenance work. He didn't see it as a bad thing particularly, more inevitable technology, with them able to stick a key into a hole and the car to show right away what was wrong.

There's got to be question over this stuff though. When does it become anti-competitive? Apparently this is, relatively speaking, a fairly easy branch of law, but it's too hard for me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ar-schools" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Theresa May paves way for new generation of grammar schools

More details below
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 06 Mar, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Guardian says £320million in the budget for selective free schools

ETA - Beaten by moments again, second time today . To arms!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The chancellor will underline the government’s focus on selective education by also extending free public transport for the poorest children to grammar schools, covering those within two to 15 miles of their homes."
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:My brother in law used to be an independent mechanic. He gave up (about 15 years ago) because he reckoned that car manufacturers were going to control much more of the maintenance work. He didn't see it as a bad thing particularly, more inevitable technology, with them able to stick a key into a hole and the car to show right away what was wrong.

There's got to be question over this stuff though. When does it become anti-competitive? Apparently this is, relatively speaking, a fairly easy branch of law, but it's too hard for me.
Massachusetts have passed a 'right to repair' bill about cars which, it looks like, will be taken up by the industry across the country to avoid further state or federal legislation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That's interesting. The Red States will be doing this pronto, right?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Theresa May apparently released her tax return in the 2016 Tory leadership campaign:

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/pol ... n-numbers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

@Tubby, Paul & TE - good to see you all :)
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-0 ... just-10000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The total construction cost of the house: $10,134.

The initial house consists of a hallway, bathroom, living room and kitchen and is located in one of Apis Cor's facilities in Russia. The company has claimed that the house can last up to 175 years.
Technology can be magnificent.