Tuesday 25th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Re: Tuesday 25th November 2014

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:My desktop computer's operating system is Linux - the UK Parliamentary website uses Silverlight to view media - it doesn't cost anything but I've not been able to download, open & use it for watching Parliament TV. Chronic error messages. I'd thought I had success last week using AdobeFlash but that option is no longer available.
Just a thought and don't want to scare you, but I thought I read that even if you only watch BBC programmes on a computer you need to pay the license fee. Does anyone on here know? Hope I'm wrong.
If you watch live tv on computers,tablets etc then you do need a license.Though I don't know how it could be proved?
When I stopped my tv license because we don't watch live tv at all,mostly because it's rubbish and I can't be assed to get a digi box or whatever,and also because Rosie wants total control over what she watches,a very nice guy called around.He saw that there were computers and tv sets,but didn't even want to check that there wasn't an aerial,just took my word for it.And I got a refund too.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

adam wrote:
Sticky99 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I was in the same position (except Mr Riots has always driven, but not always had a car) when I lived in London. The idea of owning a car there seemed really really strange to me - just about everywhere was so accessible by public transport. The knowledge that I would have to drive when I moved here ... was one of the things that made me keep postponing the move. Thank god I already had a licence - I don't think I'd have done it if I had thought I'd have had to put myself through the driving test. But - you'll be glad to hear - I did go on an intensive refresher course after I got here and realised - yes, having a car was going to be essential. I spent 5 days in Abergavenny chuntering about the tiny country lanes in Monmouthshire in a canary yellow Mini. My instructor was a retired sheep farmer - what he taught me about sheep and driving has stood me in very good stead since.
Interesting. It is a useful skill to have and a change of home, job or family circumstances can mean that driving and car ownership can suddenly become awfully useful.
My mum's dad worked for Ford in Dagenham, and she had five brothers and a sister (hands up who can guess where this story is going). He taught all the boys how to drive and helped get them jobs at the plant if they wanted one, and left my mum and her sister to their own devices. My dad lived and worked in central London until he was in his 50s (save for a few years during WWII in the med on a boat) and never felt the need.
Yup - I had both hands up when we got to 'five brothers'. My mother never drove, never wanted to drive, and neither did we ever want her to drive. She was incredibly short sighted - and I mean incredibly, to the extent of not recognising us, her own children, when she came to meet us off the bus (we'd have to shout at her). But never wore specs or used any kind of aid for her sight. She claimed she really enjoyed seeing everything as if in an impressionist painting blur ... I put it down to vanity.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 2h2 hours ago
Are you really saying, @Jeremy_Hunt, it's OK to go straight to A&E if you don't want to wait for a GP appointment? > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -long.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 58s58 seconds ago Croydon, London
@andyburnhammp @Jeremy_Hunt It's up there with hitting that woman with a bell, hiding behind trees, meeting Rupe in an underground carpark..
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:My desktop computer's operating system is Linux - the UK Parliamentary website uses Silverlight to view media - it doesn't cost anything but I've not been able to download, open & use it for watching Parliament TV. Chronic error messages. I'd thought I had success last week using AdobeFlash but that option is no longer available.
Just a thought and don't want to scare you, but I thought I read that even if you only watch BBC programmes on a computer you need to pay the license fee. Does anyone on here know? Hope I'm wrong.
Yes, I would have to pay the BBC licensing fee if I watched it - on a computer, a television, any kind of device.

Fear not. edited to add - I don't watch it live
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 25 Nov, 2014 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Slaughter MP retweeted
Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 22m22 minutes ago
Health Sec taking kids to A&E rather than GP wait mightnt seem to sit well with NHS campaign "#AandEisforSavingLives " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bonnie Greer ‏@Bonn1eGreer 3m3 minutes ago
Wish you had this service?
"Twitter examining 40m accounts to find who used (hacked) @RachelSJohnson to abuse #Cameron"via @Kevin_Maguire
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

I'm sure someone will have posted this already but the top two trends on Twitter are #CameronMustGo and #TakeTheHint

:lol!: :rofl: :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 2h2 hours ago
Are you really saying, @Jeremy_Hunt, it's OK to go straight to A&E if you don't want to wait for a GP appointment? > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -long.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Jamie Reed ‏@jreedmp 58s58 seconds ago Croydon, London
@andyburnhammp @Jeremy_Hunt It's up there with hitting that woman with a bell, hiding behind trees, meeting Rupe in an underground carpark..
My doctor has a sign up saying: If you think it is an emergency go straight to your nearest A&E.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HuffPostUKPolitics ‏@HuffPostUKPol 10m10 minutes ago
Boris Johnson's sister 'calls' David Cameron an 'egg faced C***' on Twitter - http://huff.to/1xXH5Zu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My first belly laugh of the day :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

ohsocynical wrote:HuffPostUKPolitics ‏@HuffPostUKPol 10m10 minutes ago
Boris Johnson's sister 'calls' David Cameron an 'egg faced C***' on Twitter - http://huff.to/1xXH5Zu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's claiming her account was hacked, which is a shame as it's only the truth.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

That's what this is about Ohso:
"Twitter examining 40m accounts to find who used (hacked) @RachelSJohnson to abuse #Cameron"via @Kevin_Maguire
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

OOh-er. It wasn't me. Good hack though :lol:
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Does Boris know her login details do you think? :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Do we suppose this might actually make the BBC and others report properly on the #CameronMustGo trending?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just an idle thought:

I cut my teeth reading stories about tough, hard drinking, hard living journalists who chased a story to its bitter end.

So what happened?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: That's what this is about Ohso:
Do we suppose this might actually make the BBC and others report properly on the #CameronMustGo trending?
No
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:Just an idle thought:

I cut my teeth reading stories about tough, hard drinking, hard living journalists who chased a story to its bitter end.

So what happened?
Now that Farage is calling the tunes, they just end at the bitter.

I'll get my coat.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hobiejoe wrote:

So what happened?

I'll get my coat.
We had already chucked it out the door ahead of you. :lol: (luv you really).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Dunt @IanDunt · 3h 3 hours ago
Top class journalism: unmistakeably American, fired up, pissed off, eloquent http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-com ... hael-brown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

So what happened?
To simplify massively admittedly, the national MSM became the plaything of the privately educated elite?

Andrew S admitted to being one of that group in the "other place" today, and that it was a real problem......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton retweeted
Rachel Johnson @RachelSJohnson · 2h 2 hours ago
Yup. Hacked. Apologies everyone and especially to our Leader. Am trying to sort

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
RT @RachelSJohnson: @David_Cameron why are you such an egg faced cunt? <<< Boris's sister kicks off his new "aggressive" strategy.
Is it me ... or is that 'our Leader' just a bit over reverential?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 4h 4 hours ago
Lib Dem source on Clegg appointing privy councillors: "It's like the bunker in Downfall with the Fuhrer pinning medals on supporters."
Owwwch. We don't usually get such sarcastic trashing of Clegg from the Lib Dem sources camp.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

So what happened?
To simplify massively admittedly, the national MSM became the plaything of the privately educated elite?

Andrew S admitted to being one of that group in the "other place" today, and that it was a real problem......
I cut my teeth reading The Daily Mirror, at 8 years old I looked down at the Sun, to be fair they still support Labour, but then they had Keith Waterhouse, Paul Foot, John Pilger and the like, who now, Kevin bloody Maguire and Susan Boniface.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

What does Jeremy Hunt mean by: ''I think we have to recognise that society is changing and people don’t always know whether the care that they need is urgent or whether it is an emergency''.

What's changed in society ? Why are people less able to assess now whether the care they need is urgent ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman @IsabelHardman · 4h 4 hours ago
Amusing thing I noticed at Health Questions earlier - a friendly wink between Nick Clegg and Jeremy Hunt as the session drew to a close.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Amusing thing I noticed at Health Questions earlier - a friendly wink between Nick Clegg and Jeremy Hunt as the session drew to a close.
C****.

Kuennsberg(?) just tweeted something about May, and interesting story ''developing'' probably someone has decreed she had too much publicity lately ''get back in your box woman'' not that I want defend her, another who has had an easy time of it.

Silly me, that's the lot of them.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hobiejoe wrote:

So what happened?

I'll get my coat.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

So what happened?

I cut my teeth reading The Daily Mirror, at 8 years old I looked down at the Sun, to be fair they still support Labour, but then they had Keith Waterhouse, Paul Foot, John Pilger and the like, who now, Kevin bloody Maguire and Susan Boniface.
Now when someone says journalist I picture them sitting in a wine bar with their iPhone pinching ideas for story lines from Twitter.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I'm beginning to feel sorry for the remaining left-leaning LD supporters/members because Clegg & co are shafting them at every turn. If I was one, I would be sickened at the 'wink' because it reveals a man extremely comfortable sitting alongside a Tory, despite what he says to the contrary in his 'differentiation strategy'

Hideous.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

WorldMedicalTimes ‏@WMTEditor 1h1 hour ago
Cure the NHS in “Handbags At Dawn”: Julie Bailey of Cure the NHS [CTHS] fame did something uncharacteristic t... http://bit.ly/1vKhqmn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The latest instalment in the Julie Bailey alleged charity scam :twisted:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:What does Jeremy Hunt mean by: ''I think we have to recognise that society is changing and people don’t always know whether the care that they need is urgent or whether it is an emergency''.

What's changed in society ? Why are people less able to assess now whether the care they need is urgent ?
It's because the NHS is always there 24/7 & as a society, many people think they have 'entitlement' to a superior service than their health needs warrant so they turn up at A & E, grumble that they have to wait then whine that the Doctors didn't treat their twisted ankle with the full gamut of investigative techniques.

One could say that the NHS is a victim of it's success.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 4h 4 hours ago
Lib Dem source on Clegg appointing privy councillors: "It's like the bunker in Downfall with the Fuhrer pinning medals on supporters."
Owwwch. We don't usually get such sarcastic trashing of Clegg from the Lib Dem sources camp.
They have become inconsequential. They are truly of the past.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
C****.

Kuennsberg(?) just tweeted something about May, and interesting story ''developing'' probably someone has decreed she had too much publicity lately ''get back in your box woman'' not that I want defend her, another who has had an easy time of it.

This?

Laura KuenssbergVerified account
‏@bbclaurak
For those inside the news bubble, interesting story brewing about the Home Sec and her adviser giving named quotes about her 'vision'
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:What does Jeremy Hunt mean by: ''I think we have to recognise that society is changing and people don’t always know whether the care that they need is urgent or whether it is an emergency''.

It's because the NHS is always there 24/7 & as a society, many people think they have 'entitlement' to a superior service than their health needs warrant so they turn up at A & E, grumble that they have to wait then whine that the Doctors didn't treat their twisted ankle with the full gamut of investigative techniques.

I'd also argue that doctors don't 'doctor' as they used to.
They don't do house calls, take out stitches, do weekend or night time cover. If your need is urgent unless you get on the phone at 8am, then wait for ages for them to pick up because it's busy, you won't get an appointment that day.
There is so much they don't do now, and A&Es are bearing the brunt.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:I'm beginning to feel sorry for the remaining left-leaning LD supporters/members .....
Does this mythical beast still exist then? I thought it was extinct or had migrated to different habitats.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
C****.

This?

‏@bbclaurak
For those inside the news bubble, interesting story brewing about the Home Sec and her adviser giving named quotes about her 'vision'
Presumably his will be the 'Mr Timothy' who - in the Telegraph article - is reported as talking about her having a clear vision etc - and that she is a friend. And someone, possibly not the same source, saying May used to like Cameron but has given up on him and his incompetent no10 set up now ... The report observes that it is highly unlikely that May wouldn't have seen what her SpAD was going to say and signed it off.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
C****.

This?

‏@bbclaurak
Do they mean her sight? She has diabetes, and her job must take its toll on the illness. I don't like that she's a Conservative, but as a fellow human being I feel sorry she isn't well.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:WorldMedicalTimes ‏@WMTEditor 1h1 hour ago
Cure the NHS in “Handbags At Dawn”: Julie Bailey of Cure the NHS [CTHS] fame did something uncharacteristic t... http://bit.ly/1vKhqmn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The latest instalment in the Julie Bailey alleged charity scam :twisted:
Oh dear. Oh deary dear.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I'd also argue that doctors don't 'doctor' as they used to.
They don't do house calls, take out stitches, do weekend or night time cover. If your need is urgent unless you get on the phone at 8am, then wait for ages for them to pick up because it's busy, you won't get an appointment that day.
There is so much they don't do now, and A&Es are bearing the brunt.
I expect that all depends on one's own GP practice. Ours is brilliant & they do all sorts there from small surgical procedures under local anaesthetic to running stop smoking clinics, mole clinics, well woman/man clinics & so on. House calls still happen for people that can't get to the surgery for all manner of reasons but not so much for those that could but would prefer not to.

Doctors haven't taken stitches out for donkeys years & in many cases, don't put them in either. Nurses do that & the role of professionally qualified nurses has taken a chunk of Doctor's workloads off them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see there's a bit of a Twitter debate going on about whether it's the right / safest thing to do to take your kids or yourself off to A&E if you can't get to see a doctor quickly elsewhere.

Someone has pointed out that maybe people need more information about the other places they could go to ... a good old public information film was suggested.

The problem is ... we now have such a range of different services in different areas and the quality is also pretty variable of the different set ups ... that a simple film / promo would be quite hard to do and provide information that everyone would find useful at the time they needed it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton retweeted

RT @RachelSJohnson: @David_Cameron why are you such an egg faced cunt? <<< Boris's sister kicks off his new "aggressive" strategy.
It's goddamn weird, that is.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Someone has started a #MilibandMustGo hashtag. It's had about 10 tweets in the last 24 hours. It's still got more chance of being mentioned by the BBC than the 300,000 tweets of #CameronMustGo
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I'm beginning to feel sorry for the remaining left-leaning LD supporters/members because Clegg & co are shafting them at every turn. If I was one, I would be sickened at the 'wink' because it reveals a man extremely comfortable sitting alongside a Tory, despite what he says to the contrary in his 'differentiation strategy'

Hideous.
I didn't need that image in my head, I didn't indeed.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 5h 5 hours ago
Worth remembering: today's extra £130m for spy agencies is after Osborne cut their budget by 12% in 2011 and 2012. Raised by 3.4% last year.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Oooh. Michael White is following me :shock:

Was it because I said Paterson was a badger killing, climate change denying, inept Environment Minister and grudge bearer? :smack: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton retweeted

It's goddamn weird, that is.
Seig Cameron? :roll:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Oooh. Michael White is following me :shock:

Was it because I said Paterson was a badger killing, climate change denying, inept Environment Minister and grudge bearer? :smack: :lol:
I think I'd better follow you if you're saying that sort of stuff Ohso. :lol:

Paterson .... ummmmm, my dreamboat Tory for a Portillo moment or, because that's not going to happen, something scandalous to occur that would truly shock his grassroots Conservative faithful.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I see there's a bit of a Twitter debate going on about whether it's the right / safest thing to do to take your kids or yourself off to A&E if you can't get to see a doctor quickly elsewhere.

Someone has pointed out that maybe people need more information about the other places they could go to ... a good old public information film was suggested.

The problem is ... we now have such a range of different services in different areas and the quality is also pretty variable of the different set ups ... that a simple film / promo would be quite hard to do and provide information that everyone would find useful at the time they needed it.
You're supposed to ring 111 but believe me, it's bloody useless. You could bleed out before you've finished answering the endless list of questions someone who obviously has no medical training is reading off a computer screen.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Oooh. Michael White is following me :shock:

I think I'd better follow you if you're saying that sort of stuff Ohso. :lol:

Paterson .... ummmmm, my dreamboat Tory for a Portillo moment or, because that's not going to happen, something scandalous to occur that would truly shock his grassroots Conservative faithful.
I'm going to pinch 'the dreamboat Tory for a Portillo moment' quote. It's too good to ignore. 8-)
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Cameron's impeccable judging shining through once again.

Tesco director facing questions about lobbying government over dirty chicken report

http://gu.com/p/43tgp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;