Friday 18th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Friday 18th September 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

Duplicate post.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Fri 18 Sep, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Alex Salmond: BBC bias was 'significant factor' in deciding Scottish independence referendum

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06491.html
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Why Labour MPs won't defect
The party's modernisers don't want to leave their party, they want to reclaim it.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... ont-defect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Eaton saying much the same as several of us did here yesterday. Added bits of info suggesting this is an Osborne tactic ...
Of the report that Labour MPs were considering defecting to the Tories, one former shadow cabinet minister told me: "It's garbage - no moderniser I can think of would defect. It is being put around by George Osborne and his crew to undermine moderates in our party. It is us who Osborne fears, after all, if we get our act together by the time he takes over the Tories."
Did anybody see the panic in Osborne's face during PMQs? Others suggested he'd been powdering his nose again, which quite frankly I doubt since that would have boosted his confidence unless it be the aftermath I guess. I suspect he was feeling troubled and wondering how to combat a problem like Jeremy, seemingly calling a few hypocritical friends to shout from the rooftops should suffice.

Why did I want to make a play with red-tops or even hilltops but couldn't think of any? Must be this sinus headache and the shivers getting the better of me... Oh and commiserations to whomsoever it was with the migraine. Sorry for not paying attention.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote: Of course Osborne could just be really conventional and abandon austerity. I think he's pretty much proved the theory that austerity during a depression doesn't work by now. I'm predicting he will attempt to counter the recessionary effects of his ideological tax credit cuts with secret spending elsewhere.
He massively cut it back last time, in 2012. He was smart enough (deceitful enough) to confuse everybody by saying he wasn't.

He's got a very good double act going with Cameron. He does the tough talk and Cameron does more of the "we're spending money on these nice schools". If he's going to take over from Cameron, he'll want to do more of the Cameron stuff and he won't want big austerity going on while he does it. He'll want 3% growth. He'll probably want IDS out of the way too, and somebody in post who pays people on time and stops so many of them having to visit food banks.

I imagine he'll stimulate the economy by tax cuts. Funny that the Lib Dems showed them how to do that. Cameron was very clear in 2010 that these big raises in the personal income tax allowance was "unaffordable".
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

I know you all cherish the value of anecdotes over evidence, so here goes.
I drive an ambulance for a local charity, ferrying groups of elderly people on trips, shopping visits etc. today, the main topic of conversation was that Jeremy Corbyn, and how nice it was to have someone with a bit of age and wisdom, instead of all those young ones.
And didn't he make a difference to Question Time (sic), sounding reasonable and asking sensible questions instead of all that silly mooing and shouting.
So there it is, the old ladies on the Toon ambulance have spoken, and it bears no resemblance to the MSM, Westminster bubble dwellers or politics geeks.

I suspect this feeling might be more widespread than many think.
PS Evening, folks.

Edited to excise gibberish
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

citizenJA wrote:.. Let's all be modernisers.
Oh yes please, JA, just as soon as I wash this mud from my boots.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:... Would anyone want them, apart from the Tories just to make a cheap point ? :lol:
Don't put yourself down, yahyah, that's priceless.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... aking.html
In January this year, David Cameron painted a rosy picture of British steelmaking. “Under this Government, steel production is up, where it was down under Labour. Under this Government, employment in the steel industry is up, where it was down under Labour.

“Why is that? Because we have a car industry that is growing, an aerospace industry that is growing, and construction is growing. We are getting Britain back to work,” he boldly claimed.

The Prime Minister was technically right but only because the steel industry at the time of the 2010 election was on its knees amid a brutal global recession.
Steel Industry has been going in decreasing circles for years, nice to see Cameron doing a 'King Canute / reverse Midas touch at the same time.
Some steel figures.

It did decline quickly from 1997-2001, then settled at about the same level before crashing with the, er, Crash.

It's still not back to pre-Crash levels.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The again, UK steel production is nearer pre-Crash levels than EU's is.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

danesclose wrote: Afternoon all. On another board (for Middlesbrough football fans) they are making a big thing about James Wharton (MP for Stockton South & Minister for the Northern Powerhouse) going to a dinner with party donors in Durham last night rather than attending the debate in Parliament
Good. He's a smarmy git.
If the Northern Powerhouse ever gets off the blocks, the top men in Manchester will eat him alive, he'll be running to DC & GO for support.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

55DegreesNorth wrote:I know you all cherish the value of anecdotes over evidence, so here goes.
I drive an ambulance for a local charity, ferrying groups of elderly people on trips, shopping visits etc. today, the main topic of conversation was that Jeremy Corbyn, and how nice it was to have someone with a bit of age and wisdom, instead of all those young ones.
And didn't he make a difference to Question Time (sic), sounding reasonable and asking sensible questions instead of all that silly mooing and shouting.
So there it is, the old ladies on the Toon ambulance have spoken, and it bears no resemblance to the MSM, Westminster bubble dwellers or politics geeks.

PS Evening, folks.

I love a good anecdote 55Degrees. I can just hear that conversation.

Isn't it odd how we so often find people saying things that confirm a particular point of view ... one we might agree with for instance. :D

I'm waiting to hear what my Ukip clients have to say about Corbyn. I imagine it will provide a rich seam of conversation - or diatribe depending on which of them I'm with. The one that wants to completely ban dogs from Cardigan should be good for an opinion I think.
Working on the wild side.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:... He does seem to have been a bit of a ladies man when he was younger, an interesting counterpoint to the generally slightly austere image.
May I enquire what is the difference between a lady's man and a man's man, Anatoly, or are things different now since the Same Sex Couples Act?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:... I'm sure it won't be presented as an 'extreme' 'nutjob' policy when Osborne gets round to it.
My guess, rr2, is that it shall only be mentioned by quoting record numbers in work.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This is the latest story ... should play nicely into that threat to our security meme.
Convicted arsonist makes it onto Labour frontbench
A Labour peer who was once jailed for fire-raising has been given a job in Jeremy Corbyn's frontbench team.

- See more at: https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... CA9Zl.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone has helpfully posted a very old clipping re Nick Clegg also having a conviction for arson ... yes, apparently he has.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Have we seen this?
No specific mention of Farage, rather surprisingly.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/me ... stion-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there left or right-wing bias on BBC Question Time?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:Cameron's aide Patrick Rock (wasn't he a Thatcher aide too ?) is finally set to appear at Southwark Crown Court on October 16th. Charges are for possession of images of children being abused.

A blogger reminds us that the initial arrest was kept quiet while the Tory press conveniently unleashed the Labour PIE sympathiser smears.

http://inowhereurcusoon.co.uk/2015/09/14/patrick-rock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What shall be his defence? That it is okay to look but not to touch. Shudder at the thought, I almost wish I were joking.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The again, UK steel production is nearer pre-Crash levels than EU's is.

Presumably the rest had farther to fall?
More that the rest include Italy, Spain and Greece, I think.

It looks an odd sector. Germany is the biggest producer but has a trade deficit in steel.

RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

gilsey wrote:Have we seen this?
No specific mention of Farage, rather surprisingly.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/me ... stion-time" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is there left or right-wing bias on BBC Question Time?
In sum, that’s 34/53 for the right (Conservatives + Ukip), 18/24 for the centre (Lib Dems), and 47/58 for the left (Labour + Nationalists + Others). A clear imbalance, no?
NO, because it ignores the fact that the LibDems were in the Coalition and for the majority of the time were merely parroting the Coalition line on everything.

QT were supposed to be "thinking" about the fact that there were 2 Coalition members on the panel with the 1 view...but never did anything about it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Coroner’s ‘ground-breaking’ verdict: Suicide was ‘triggered’ by ‘fit for work’ test

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/co ... work-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The government looks set to clash with Chinese ministers next week after promising to raise the sensitive issue of steel “dumping” following a new threat to 3,000 jobs in the north east of England. George Osborne leads a delegation to Beijing which includes the business minister, Anna Soubry, who said on Friday that she would raise the issues that are threatening the survival of the Redcar steel works. “We help with energy costs and recently voted to protect our steel industry from Chinese dumping. Next week I am in China and I will talk to Chinese officials,” said Soubry.
Current Tory government are going to 'clash' with 'Chinese ministers'?
Pinning hopes on Osborne and Soubry for negotiations in China?
Prepare ourselves for disappointment.
I suppose owners of essential steel works in the UK can't be expected to go for quality, pay a few at the top at lot less and continue operations making wind turbines, for example?
I wish I could buy the company myself.
If we produced necessary gear, the workers safe and paid well without threat and the operation was environmentally sustainable, I'd pay myself the least and call it a success.
The Thai-owned SSI is struggling to pay outstanding debts, leading to speculation about how long it could keep going while employing 2,000 staff and 1,000 contractors. Any closure would be a heavy blow because levels of unemployment are among the highest in Britain. SSI bought Redcar from Tata Steel, which had mothballed the plant. Last month, Tata announced plans to lay off up to 250 workers at Llanwern in Wales.
Don't purchase companies you can't afford to keep.
...said it might need to shed 720 jobs, mainly at Rotherham in Yorkshire, amid high UK energy prices and mounting competition, particularly from low cost products made in China.
(my bold)

That would be the UK energy prices Tory government insist are the cheapest in the EU? Didn't someone do a cost benefit analysis prior to purchasing this endeavour? What in the world is this company expecting from Osborne, please? He'll sell us all into servitude.
“It (the SSI decision) comes just 24 hours after the government agreed to hold a crisis summit about the UK steel industry and this cannot happen soon enough,” said Gareth Stace, Director UK Steel. “I trust ministers will put in place the machinery to get on with this as a priority and that they will bring tangible offers of support. The time for warm words has passed. ... If they don’t act decisively, then the damage to one of the most important industries underpinning our entire manufacturing sector will be irreversible.”

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... n-teesside" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You trust ministers, Mr. Gareth Stace? I am sorry, sincerely.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

55DegreesNorth wrote:I know you all cherish the value of anecdotes over evidence, so here goes.

PS Evening, folks.

Rather than it being the young that are flocking to his Corbyn's side it's the older generation. I've read the same observation in my local paper. It referred to Wokingham. Membership was up and wrinklies were approving.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:

PS Evening, folks.

Rather than it being the young that are flocking to his Corbyn's side it's the older generation. I've read the same observation in my local paper. It referred to Wokingham. Membership was up and wrinklies were approving.
Reminds me of what Taylor Parkes said of a Corbyn rally. The average age about fifty, but nobody actually fifty. Twenty or seventy.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Current Tory government are going to 'clash' with 'Chinese ministers'?
Pinning hopes on Osborne and Soubry for negotiations in China?
Prepare ourselves for disappointment.
Steel dumping by China sounds like something for the EU.

Wonder if there's some kind of behind the scenes problem between Britain and the EU?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TobyLatimer wrote:Coroner’s ‘ground-breaking’ verdict: Suicide was ‘triggered’ by ‘fit for work’ test

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/co ... work-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just about every aspect of this poor man's experience of the WCA is awful - but I'm staggered that the ATOS WCA for someone with known / clearly stated mental health problems was carried out by a 'former orthopaedic surgeon'. There ought to be a clear requirement for assessments of people with mental health issues to be carried out by someone with relevant experience.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PS Evening, folks.

I particularly value anecdotes when they back my view of things. ;)

We've just heard from a friend how excited his 22 year old daughter was to hear that Corbyn had won, on a news channel at their Egyptian hotel.
He thinks Corbyn will be a shaker upper on the British political scene, in a good way.
A lot of her friends seem to be talking about Labour more positively too apparently.

Maybe it's the inbetweenies, age wise, who aren't so keen.
Not young enough to feel the fire of idealism, not old enough to remember when alternatives to Blairism weren't off the agenda ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Some very striking differences between countries on how expensive energy is to households and industry.

The UK does indeed seem expensive for industry.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Anna Soubry getting pelted in the eye with a snowball from her crew when she was a tv reporter, @11m:42s

[youtube]4TvFfdD41rA[/youtube]
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:This is the latest story ... should play nicely into that threat to our security meme.
A Labour peer who was once jailed for fire-raising has been given a job in Jeremy Corbyn's frontbench team.

- See more at: https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... CA9Zl.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Someone has helpfully posted a very old clipping re Nick Clegg also having a conviction for arson ... yes, apparently he has.
Clegg was drunk while setting fire to two greenhouses full of rare cactii in Germany.
His parents got him off charges, he has admitted it.
It didn't stop him being Deputy PM. A crap one admittedly, but DPM nonetheless.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

utopiandreams wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:... I'm sure it won't be presented as an 'extreme' 'nutjob' policy when Osborne gets round to it.
My guess, rr2, is that it shall only be mentioned by quoting record numbers in work.
"Record population has record numbers in work" shock!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour frontbench: in full
http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour-fr ... h-in-full/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's pretty long. Have the Tory government got as many posts?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The spiced ginger cake came out a bit crusty.

We used an old Elizabeth David recipe, so by the time I had translated imperial into metric, Gas mark 3 into centigrade, deducted 20 degrees for a fan oven, used the wrong size tin....what could possibly go wrong ? Have wrapped it in foil in the hope it transforms itself over night.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:This is the latest story ... should play nicely into that threat to our security meme.

Clegg was drunk while setting fire to two greenhouses full of rare cactii in Germany.
Ah - so he (Clegg) hasn't actually got a conviction. My mistake. Just pointing this out in case Clegg is reading here and takes us to the cleaners. :)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour frontbench: in full
http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour-fr ... h-in-full/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's pretty long. Have the Tory government got as many posts?
& have they stopped the SNP showboating with the seating positions now ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ah, no I am wrong.

BBC say Clegg did community service and call it a conviction.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7003100.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

chi onwurah retweeted
Louise Baldock ‏@LouiseBaldock 13m13 minutes ago
Three shadow ministers at DCLG all have been councillors including two leaders. That's more like it! #localgovernment
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Ah, no I am wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7003100.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's twice, today (unless you count the crusty cake). Steady on!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TobyLatimer wrote:Anna Soubry getting pelted in the eye with a snowball from her crew when she was a tv reporter, @11m:42s

[youtube]4TvFfdD41rA[/youtube]
I see she presented the thickofest that was Central Weekend. Might be some funny footage from that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:Ah, no I am wrong.

That's twice, today (unless you count the crusty cake). Steady on!
Anyway - I think we can safely say he manifested his destructive tendencies early on ...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Lord Watson is a Scottish former Labour MP for Glasgow Central (June 1989 - May 1997). He lost his Parliamentary seat after a boundary reconfiguration and accepted a peerage (November 1997); that may or may not have been a consolation to him. He was tossed out of the Labour party following his conviction for setting some curtains on fire (2005), did some time in the hoosegow, got out and was allowed back in the Labour party in 2012. He's got a position in the Shadow Education team (2015). Apparently, he's rehabilitated.

http://www.parliament.uk/biographies/lo ... owrie/1241" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:

I neglected to include Watson's inebriated condition when he set the curtains on fire.
He was drunk.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Brennan retweeted
Baroness Anita Gale ‏@BaronessGale 3h3 hours ago
pleased 2 C Susan Élan Jones MP asShadowMinister 4 Wales @NiaGriffithMP as Shadow Sec and @Eluned_Morgan in Lords we have all women team!
I'm wondering if this might mean that Eluned Morgan won't be standing as a regional AM candidate now ... she was going to go on the West Wales regional list I believe. It would seem a lot of different roles to take on.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 39m39 minutes ago
Craig Oliver Cameron's spokesman slams the media's obsession with polling, and process, not policy in election. https://rts.org.uk/article/broadcast-me ... ction-2015" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Quite interesting piece with Oliver for the Tories and Baldwin for Labour giving their views on election coverage.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gareth Thomas ‏@GarethThomasMP 3m3 minutes ago
London Council sets up as a private landlord to offer lower-rent homes = good move by Lab led Barking & Dagenham http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/s ... e-landlord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
London Council sets up as a private landlord to offer lower-rent homes = good move by Lab led Barking & Dagenham http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/s ... e-landlord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Cllr Darren Rodwell (Labour)
Mayor Cllr Elizabeth Kangethe
MPs Jon Cruddas, MP (Labour)
Margaret Hodge, MP (Labour)
London Assembly John Biggs (Labour)

Exciting news, truly.
In what is believed to be the first initiative of its type in the country, the east London council of Barking and Dagenham has bought 100% of a private development from construction company Bouygues and will release 144 new homes on to the market for private renters in October.

Anyone who earns less than £66,000 per year is eligible for a one or two bedroom property while the cap for a three- or four-bedroom property has been set at £80,000.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Charles Davis ‏@charliearchy Sep 14

Just 3 MPs attended a solidarity action for Syrian refugees last year at the UK Home Office:

https://www.facebook.com/syriasolidarit ... 9644848279
Refugee.jpg
Refugee.jpg (38.84 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Some angry commentators below the line.
Unbelievable.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Charles Davis ‏@charliearchy Sep 14

Just 3 MPs attended a solidarity action for Syrian refugees last year at the UK Home Office:

Refugee.jpg
And please note they are all wearing ties ...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Refugee.jpg
Did Tory government make that a law?
Mandatory tie?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Refugee.jpg
Did Tory government make that a law?
Mandatory tie?
There has been a lot of media hooha over Corbyn not wearing, or knowing how to properly wear, a tie ....