Tuesday 5th January 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 5th January 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 8m8 minutes ago
Odd Dave not applying to EU solidarity. Payments slow but 2008 Britain received £120m after earlier floods. Help referendum Yes
Is anyone else finding it strange that Dave seems determined not to call on EU funds which we're entitled to?
We'd get back a bit of what we've paid in. Rather like insurance. People would understand that.

It's almost as if he doesn't want us to look on the EU as being beneficial.
I have wondered and thought the same Ohso. Finds himself, yet again, worrying what capital certain elements in his party will make of it if he seems to be enhancing the EU's benefits?

We're getting into reverse, reverse territory here - if you know what I mean.
Working on the wild side.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Kevin Maguire

@Kevin_Maguire

Bullseye from Dennis Skinner. Cameron dodges question on must he resign if he lost the Europe referendum. The answer is YES
Cameron indicates he will carry on as prime minister even if he loses the referendum

Labour’s Barry Gardiner asks Cameron what he will do if the country does not accept his recommendation in the referendum.

Cameron says he intends to carry on “come what may”.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Labour’s David Anderson asks what the impact on Ireland, and Northern Ireland, would be if Britain voted to leave.

Cameron says Anderson makes a very good point. He says he will be forever grateful to the very strong speech in support of Britain made by Enda Kenny, the Irish prime minister, at the EU summit.
Well non-answered.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ivan LewisVerified account
‏@IvanLewis_MP
Just asked Prime Minister why he isn't applying for funding from EU Solidarity Fund to help victims of flooding in Radcliffe. No real answer

Sarah Southworth
‏@SJLSouthworth Sarah Southworth Retweeted Ivan Lewis
It's awful - PM has no concept of the fact that many people have lost literally everything & lots have no insurance. Sarah Southworth added,

Ivan Lewis ‏@IvanLewis_MP 6m6 minutes ago
Ivan Lewis Retweeted Sarah Southworth
You are totally right Sarah. There are also costs facing the council to repair infrastructure+ strengthen defences.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Children rescued from flood-hit school bus after driver ignores road closure sign
Flood rescue officers in North Yorkshire smash back window to rescue 26 children in Newton-on-Ouse on Tuesday morning

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... lood-water" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeepers this is getting beyond manageable ... we're supposedly having 'showers' here today. It's full on torrential again. We went out to the vets and by the time we came back an hour and a half later - roads were like rivers, water pouring out of the banks and fields, drainage ditches completely overwhelmed, our track like a fast flowing stream. We are soaked through and having to put plastic bags on the car seats so we don't drench them.

Sodden. That is the only word that sums up life at the moment. And we are the lucky ones who because of our situation on a hillside are very unlikely to flood - and we both have 4 wheel drive vehicles, thank goodness.

Feeling for yahyah in all this. Probably similar for her. And looks like she made the fatal mistake of turning her laptop off ... and is now incommunicado.

Witnesses said the bus started filling with water after it slid off the road into a ditch between Newton-on-Ouse and Tollerton, north of York. Photograph: Amy Murphy/PA

The PM of the UK and his vision of Tory leadership for the country is reliant upon charity fund-raisers to save its infrastructure.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Labour’s David Anderson asks what the impact on Ireland, and Northern Ireland, would be if Britain voted to leave.

Cameron says Anderson makes a very good point. He says he will be forever grateful to the very strong speech in support of Britain made by Enda Kenny, the Irish prime minister, at the EU summit.
Well non-answered.
We'll have to agree to disagree, Tubby Isaacs. Dave's non-answer is bad, like usual.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Is anyone else finding it strange that Dave seems determined not to call on EU funds which we're entitled to?
We'd get back a bit of what we've paid in. Rather like insurance. People would understand that.

I have wondered and thought the same Ohso. Finds himself, yet again, worrying what capital certain elements in his party will make of it if he seems to be enhancing the EU's benefits?

The EU funds require the PM to match them.
Dave's a cheap b*****d when it comes to funding stuff regular people use and need.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Durham ConstabularyVerified account
‏@DurhamPolice
We are being told that the River Wear is about to burst its banks close to the Radisson Hotel in Durham City. Please share.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hilariously, even now Cameron can't resist stupid party political bollocks. He's accused Labour of not making any demands of the EU.

Because you'd expect the Opposition to be doing that.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Is anyone else finding it strange that Dave seems determined not to call on EU funds which we're entitled to?

The EU funds require the PM to match them.
Dave's a cheap b*****d when it comes to funding stuff regular people use and need.
Ah. Thats why...I didn't know that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Ivan Lewis ‏@IvanLewis_MP 4m4 minutes ago
Just asked Prime Minister why he isn't applying for funding from EU Solidarity Fund to help victims of flooding in Radcliffe. No real answer
It's amazing there are still people out there that expect an answer.
He'd have to admit why he's not doing so.
That information would destroy his persona, narrative, any effectiveness his PM voice still retains.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

This article from 2015 seems to make it clear that the Greens have had discussions about giving second preferences to Goldsmith. This candidate was saying a clear no to that but he wasn't elected as their mayoral candidate - not sure what Sian Berry's position or others is. Will keep looking to see if there is anything more recent.
Green Mayoral hopeful says no ‘second preferences for Zac’
http://www.mayorwatch.co.uk/green-mayor ... s-for-zac/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... In previous City Hall elections the Greens recommended that supporters cast their second preferences for former Labour Mayor Ken Livingstone. However in recent months there’s been suggestions that the party’s members could decide to endorse Tory frontrunner Zac Goldsmith, a longtime campaigner on environmental issues...

... He added: “Next year’s Mayor and Assembly election will be make or break for the Green Party. I believe the party has come of age and should not be campaigning in the shadow of either Labour or the Conservatives.

“I fundamentally disagree with those Greens who are making a case to recommend a second preference for another candidate.”
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Hilariously, even now Cameron can't resist stupid party political bollocks. He's accused Labour of not making any demands of the EU.

Because you'd expect the Opposition to be doing that.
More projection, broken-brain thinking and an odd disassociation from the fact he's PM of the UK!
Driving the bus drowning in the flood!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I fully support the decision to sack Dugher, but does this have to be going on now, with Cameron dying on his arse on a very important issue?

Unimpressive as Burnham was in the leadership election, I'd give him anything to have him in charge now, with a referendum coming up, and Cameron needing help from a Labour leader, like he did from Brown in the indyref.

Ho hum.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Durham ConstabularyVerified account
‏@DurhamPolice
We are being told that the River Wear is about to burst its banks close to the Radisson Hotel in Durham City. Please share.
River Wear at Croxdale Riverside
Latest Information

Heavy rainfall over the last few days has caused the River Browney to rise. Property flooding could be seen at the Old Bridge House and the Honest Lawyer Hotel between 3pm and 5pm. Further rainfall is expected throughout Tuesday 5th January, continuing into Wednesday. We are closely monitoring the situation. This message will be updated by 5pm today or earlier if the situation changes. River levels on the River Browney can be viewed on our website.

Situation last changed 2:11pm Tuesday 05 January 2016

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... k/warnings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I fully support the decision to sack Dugher, but does this have to be going on now, with Cameron dying on his arse on a very important issue?

Unimpressive as Burnham was in the leadership election, I'd give him anything to have him in charge now, with a referendum coming up, and Cameron needing help from a Labour leader, like he did from Brown in the indyref.

Ho hum.
How much more humiliating will it be if he ultimately has to beg for Jez's help, then?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I fully support the decision to sack Dugher, but does this have to be going on now, with Cameron dying on his arse on a very important issue?

Ho hum.
How much more humiliating will it be if he ultimately has to beg for Jez's help, then?
Labour needs to stay well away from Cameron's mess. We should have learned that lesson.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Corbyn's understanding of the EU and ratings are so poor that I worry about him getting near the Yes campaign.

He's consistently supported a referendum. If nothing else, we can see from Cameron's problems that this was a dreadful idea.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Am I wrong / right in remembering Cameron conducting a very long reshuffle in the last parliament. Went on over more than a week .... ?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Ho hum.
Labour needs to stay well away from Cameron's mess. We should have learned that lesson.
It's difficult because a Yes looks like backing Cameron, and (justified) criticism looks like backing No.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Am I wrong / right in remembering Cameron conducting a very long reshuffle in the last parliament. Went on over more than a week .... ?
The one in mid-2014, you mean??

Certainly dragged on a few days, and IIRC featured Esther McVey all but barricading herself in his office demanding the right to attend Cabinet meetings :D

Hyperbolic, hysterical criticism of Dave for all this from the MSM was notably sparse however.

(and I haven't even mentioned Blair's infamous 2003 car crash)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Corbyn's understanding of the EU and ratings are so poor that I worry about him getting near the Yes campaign.

He's consistently supported a referendum. If nothing else, we can see from Cameron's problems that this was a dreadful idea.
No, I disagree with you. Corbyn's understanding of the EU isn't deficient, no. What is read or seen said about Corbyn and the EU is different from Corbyn's understanding of the EU.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If Labour wants to put forward positive "patriotic" ideas for EU reform, enlarging the free market in services would be a good idea. UK is very strong in that area, and could "export" more.

I'm afraid I've no confidence in Corbynites on that point. They probably see that as "neo-liberal" or something.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Am I wrong / right in remembering Cameron conducting a very long reshuffle in the last parliament. Went on over more than a week .... ?
I think UK media had catered meals sent in as a gift to the Tory party.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tom Pride's been doing a count of tweets on different subjects from the political journalists of the BBC and Sky

https://twitter.com/ThomasPride?ref_src ... r%5Eauthor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Worth a look.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
The one in mid-2014, you mean??

Certainly dragged on a few days, and IIRC featured Esther McVey all but barricading herself in his office demanding the right to attend Cabinet meetings :D

Hyperbolic, hysterical criticism of Dave for all this from the MSM was notably sparse however.

(and I haven't even mentioned Blair's infamous 2003 car crash)
Thank you. I knew I could remember something like that - and as you say - don't remember huge derision surge from the media and his own party.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Corbyn's understanding of the EU and ratings are so poor that I worry about him getting near the Yes campaign.

No, I disagree with you. Corbyn's understanding of the EU isn't deficient, no. What is read or seen said about Corbyn and the EU is different from Corbyn's understanding of the EU.
Corbyn called for a referendum for years- that's either very naive or because he supports leaving it. In the campaign he was cluelessly saying he might vote to leave if Cameron negotiated something bad. You never had Kinnock or John Smith saying they'd leave because Major had negotiated a bad opt-out from the Social Chapter.

When he's talked about renegotiation of stuff, there's been no awareness of how toxic his anti-NATO position would be among all the NATO members, especially the Eastern ones. It's worse (far worse) even than Cameron telling them that their people come to Britain for benefits.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hello again everyone.

Am finally posting from my lovely new Toshiba laptop.
But am being completely driven bonkers by Windows 10 and all the associated crap.
We've still got router problems too, my husband has yet to fix up the new one so my attendance may be short lived.

Somehow I keep managing to launch things, not sure how, and the finger pointer thingy keeps expanding everything.

Relying on the BBC and Sky for news has been frustrating.
Have I missed much ?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:In the campaign he was cluelessly saying he might vote to leave if Cameron negotiated something bad.
What? What campaign? Where did he say it? What are you writing about?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Hello again everyone.

But am being completely driven bonkers by Windows 10 and all the associated crap.
We've still got router problems too, my husband has yet to fix up the new one so my attendance may be short lived.

Somehow I keep managing to launch things, not sure how, and the finger pointer thingy keeps expanding everything.

Have I missed much ?
I've missed you much! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:If Labour wants to put forward positive "patriotic" ideas for EU reform, enlarging the free market in services would be a good idea. UK is very strong in that area, and could "export" more.

I'm afraid I've no confidence in Corbynites on that point. They probably see that as "neo-liberal" or something.
Now you're doing what TE did. Lumping us all together. Big mistake Tubby. Don't go too far down that road.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"December was the wettest month ever recorded in the UK,
with almost double the rain falling than average, according
to data released by the Met Office on Tuesday."

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... rded-in-uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More rain on the way.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think a sacrifice is required.

The one with the smoothest
hands, a garland hiding the
bald spot, is our first and
best, offered up to the
rain gods
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

David Schneider ‏@davidschneider 6 hrs6 hours ago

Reminder:
Corbyn allowing free vote on Syria = chaos, weakness
Cameron allowing free vote on EU = inspired, strong leadership
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

There's no rain gods, it's physics.
Stopping fossil fuel projects and
stopping those stopping renewable
energy projects need sacrificing for
the good of land and people.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Been trying to see who, if anyone, are the Green party members who have recommended London mayor second preference votes to be given to Goldsmith. This is from August 2015. Seems Jenny Jones was one of them. Bright Green website has some interesting articles re potential left electoral pacts / alliances in the future.
GREEN voters in next year’s London mayoral election should not give their second preference to Labour, one of the party’s potential candidates said yesterday.
The Green Party urged its supporters to vote for Labour candidate Ken Livingstone in the 2011 election, when he lost to Tory Boris Johnson.
But Sian Berry, the favourite in a field of six potential Green candidates, is against repeating the arrangement.
“Ken Livingstone is not the Labour Party,” she said in an interview for the Bright Green blog.
“We don’t have to give an endorsement for second preference, so, if any of the Labour candidates want it, they’re going to have to do something good. At the moment, I can see us not backing anyone, but it’s not up to me.”
Ms Berry’s comments will add to tensions with Labour after Green Assembly Member Jenny Jones said supporters should vote Tory if Zac Goldsmith becomes the Conservative candidate.
http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-70 ... owAPfmLTIU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Hello again everyone.

Have I missed much ?
Glad to have you back yahyah. Have you missed much - what a question! More of the same is probably the easiest answer to that.

Mr Riots and I have been driven so mad by Windows 10 upgrade reminders and constant hassle with Microsofty things we have decided to jump ship and will be replacing our existing laptops with Apple ware. This will be soon in Mr Riots case as his equipment is definitely past its optimum performance and constantly on the blink. We will be looking for a Mac workbook for him. I will have to wait until my HP laptop gets its next serious fault - only 2 years old and already had 2 major conk outs needing parts replaced. I can't wait to get rid.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:If Labour wants to put forward positive "patriotic" ideas for EU reform, enlarging the free market in services would be a good idea. UK is very strong in that area, and could "export" more.

Now you're doing what TE did. Lumping us all together. Big mistake Tubby. Don't go too far down that road.
I'm meaning Corbyn and his closest allies- not the broad-based people who voted for him and wish him well.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Evening all

Time for a blood letting I think

Som,e members of the SC have behaved as though the leadership election and the two defeats in 2010/2015 didn't happen!

Daughter has shown by his reaction why he had to go

I would support Corbyn moving Benn from the Foreign Affairs portfolio....if he walks then fine,if others go in support then let them.

Don't forget that the majority of the PLP rejected Benn's hot air on the Syria vote...and I am sure we know where the membership is on that particular subject!

It is going to be hard and painful and the timing could be better but in the end there is a battle for the future of the party and the right-wing media are clearly supporting the Bennites (lol)....

If these people truly believed in the Labour Party they would come out and support the leadership and keep their mouths shut in public. Rows in private are perfectly okay!

This whole thing is a media construct and certain MPs are dancing to that tune....most aren't.

Move Benn, if he refuses - sack him. If others go then say goodbye and suggest they put themselves forward for reselection......if they are prepared to go against the membership's chosen leader then surely they are confident they still have the confidence of their local party!

It is also amusing that for years we have bemoaned weak leaders who do not take on the dissenters in their cabinet...how many people called out Blair for not sacking Brown and Major.....

Thatcher ruthlessly removed all dissent from her cabinet....don't remember her being weak.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:There's no rain gods, it's physics.
Stopping fossil fuel projects and
stopping those stopping renewable
energy projects need sacrificing for
the good of land and people.
Still. We could start with the pudgy, bald one. Just to make sure....
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:In the campaign he was cluelessly saying he might vote to leave if Cameron negotiated something bad.
Leadership campaign.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No I wouldn’t rule it out … Because Cameron quite clearly follows an agenda which is about trading away workers’ rights, is about trading away environmental protection, is about trading away much of what is in the social chapter.
As opposed to John Major opting out of the social chapter completely.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There was another funny bit in that article too.
“The EU also knowingly, deliberately, maintains a number of tax havens and tax evasion posts around the continent – Luxembourg, Monaco and a number of others – and has this strange relationship with Switzerland which allows a lot of European companies to outsource their profits to Switzerland where tax rates are very low.”
So you leave the EU because it has a strange relationship with non-members Switzerland and Monaco? How does that change the case for being in the EU? Presumably it needs more people like him leading governments to improve it?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I'm meaning Corbyn and his closest allies- not the broad-based people who voted for him and wish him well.
See even that's not right.
It's not just those who voted for him and wish him well.
It's a very large section of the country who are totally pissed off with egotistical politicians poncing around thinking they're God whilst lining their pockets with taxpayers money, whether it's expenses or cheap bloody beer.
Whatever party they belong to, by hook or by crook they're going to have to learn a new way of doing things.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Anyway, in recent years the EU has been squeezing Swiss banking. That's surely very positive.

I think in general he does what the Right do with the EU- talks about it like it's apart from its member states. It isn't. The reason he doesn't like things that it does it that people he doesn't like have done well in elections in EU states.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Leadership campaign.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... membership" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No I wouldn’t rule it out … Because Cameron quite clearly follows an agenda which is about trading away workers’ rights, is about trading away environmental protection, is about trading away much of what is in the social chapter.
As opposed to John Major opting out of the social chapter completely.
You don't like Corbyn's response to the question asked you've quoted?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Anyway, in recent years the EU has been squeezing Swiss banking. That's surely very positive.

I think in general he does what the Right do with the EU- talks about it like it's apart from its member states. It isn't. The reason he doesn't like things that it does it that people he doesn't like have done well in elections in EU states.
Pity it has done precious little to deal with the British-based banks and tax havens though.....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Anyway, in recent years the EU has been squeezing Swiss banking. That's surely very positive.

Your own quote from Corbyn doesn't support what you're attributing to him above.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The reason he doesn't like things that it does it that people he doesn't like have done well in elections in EU states.
Cameron? If so, I agree with you.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Pat Glass ‏@PatGlassMP 16m16 minutes ago
OMG @ElizabethTruss1 is trying to blame Govts hopeless response to floods & 20% cuts in flood maintenance budgets on "previous Labour Govt"
That's Truss for you.

That's Tories for you.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:

Pity it has done precious little to deal with the British-based banks and tax havens though.....
I agree with that.

Nation states are the object to that. It takes the EU to tackle it- members of the EU sitting together I mean. It's one reason some very unpleasant offshore finance types want to leave the EU.