Weekend Edition - Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th March 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th March 2016

Post by HindleA »

Who is y'all ?

Bad joke,sorry.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-03-06/thou ... ity-warns/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Thousands' set to miss out on new state pension, charity warns
Around 70,000 people in their fifties and sixties will miss out entirely on the new state pension between now and 2030, charity Age UK has warned
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ng-economy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George Osborne would fail his economics GCSE – he can’t even get the basics
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

East Ham Conservative defects to Labour over junior doctors dispute

The deputy chairman of a Conservative association has today announced his defection to Labour over the government’s handling of the junior doctors’ strike.

Dad-of-two Adam Nowacki, whose wife is a junior doctor, said health secretary Jeremy Hunt’s imposition of a new contract on the doctors following recent strike action by members of the British Medical Association (BMA) was the “final straw”.

Doctors formed picket lines earlier this year as part of an ongoing battle over pay and working conditions. Despite industiral action, Mr Hunt chose to impose a new contract, bitterly disputed by union members, on junior NHS doctors.

At a welcoming ceremony led by Newham mayor Sir Robin Wales and East Ham MP Stephen Timms, the former East Ham Conservatives member also said he was worried his old party was failing to represent hardworking people.

“This is about principles for me,” the Polish-born 29-year-old said. “My wife is a junior doctor and so are many of my friends. They are being hurt by the government, so I can’t support the party anymore.

“The Tories are supposed to be the party for working people, but they are attacking some of the most hardworking people in the country.”

Mr Nowacki, who considers himself “socially conservative”, said the decision was not an easy one but that he had to do as his parents had done and challenge unfairness.

“Poland used to be a communist country,” he said. “It took lots of courage to fight and become a free country. What Mr Hunt has done is a move like a dictatorship, it’s like what my parents had to fight in the ‘50s and ‘60s.”

Sir Robin and Mr Timms said they were both “very pleased” to receive a new member and took the opportunity to attack the government’s health policy.

“I think it’s terrific [Mr Nowacki has joined Labour],” said Sir Robin. “It shows we’re doing something very right. It’s a principled stand about the NHS – I’m surprised there aren’t more Tories coming over to us.”

Mr Timms, like Mr Nowacki, said he too had a family insight into the dispute with junior doctors.

“My own niece is a junior doctor and she tells me many people want to leave and are looking at jobs in other countries,” he said. “A lot of people are dismayed by the government’s handling of this, which has been very bad indeed.

“I welcome Adam’s decision and I look forward to working with him.”

Junior doctors represent around a third of the NHS’s medical staff. The BMA is set to launch a judicial review into the government’s decision to impose a new contract on junior doctors and is planning further strike action.
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/po ... cial_icons" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's spot on about Rhyming Slang behaving like a dictator - like the rest of this dismal government.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

There's a terrific little game called Pass the Pigs - my daughter and I whiled away many a rainy hour on camping holidays playing it.

For the uninitiated, it involves throwing little pigs as though they were dice, and how they land determines your score.

Each type of landing has a name, and my little game today is attributing those names to our great and glorious leaders.
Pig Out - Richard Benyon, net worth £110 Million, some of whose income derives from the £120 Million his state gets in Housing Benefit.
Razorback - Osborne post-Caligula haircut, with handy blade for cutting services, tax credits, and benefits for poor people.
Makin' Bacon or Oinker - Boris Johnson, whose greed and adulterous liaisons more than qualify him for this naughty score.
Snouter - Nadhim Zahawi, for his snouting at the trough of public money (he has lots of pals who do the same)
Piggyback - anyone who joins in when the government benches are guffawing heartily at reports of extreme poverty.
Double Leaning Jowler - who else but Slimy Dave, who gets fatter and more pompous by the day.

Of course, should we vote for Brexit, the piggies will all be fine and dandy - that's because George Eustice has informed us that all the money we pay the EU will go to farmers so that they can afford to be nice to their animals.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Good morning all

Back from a week in China for work

Just watching Kendall on Marr....what the hell is she doing criticising the left and the Labour Party on the EU....I thought Johnson was leading Labour's campaign....surely it is for him to make the argument and anyway it isn't that easy when the media is focused on the clear splits in the Tory Party. Labour are actually quite boring on this...and so will be ignored.

And then Jon Sopel who isn't even based in the UK but weighs in about Labour...the story is all the about the Tories...the referendum is because of splits in the Tories and the current hatred is between the Tories....

Also Kendall is the most appalling communicator....
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Headline article in the Observer today on CEO's pay.

The High Pay Centre think tank analysed the pay of 32 CEO's of FTSE 100 companies - the average remuneration was £4.6 Million PA.
That includes salary, pension, share options, and bonuses.
The conclusion it comes to is that pay is far too high, and that many top CEO's are "mediocre".

Headhunters for these executives said this -
"...the salary drift has been inexcusable, incomprehensible, and it is very serious for the social fabric of this country"

Too right.

The boss of Tesco, Dave Lewis, was paid £4.1 Million last year.
Tesco does not divulge its' pay scales for the jobs it advertises on its' website - but agencies dealing with their vacancies do.
Tesco describes its' pay rates as "competitive". For what are mainly part-time jobs, they start at £7/hour if over 18.
A full-time job at that rate would be £12,740 Gross - that's less than half the median wage.
Dave Lewis's pay would cover 322 full-time jobs at Tesco's minimum pay rate.

This is a very sick society.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hodges joins Mail.jpg
Hodges joins Mail.jpg (35.71 KiB) Viewed 7043 times
Oh joy.

I suppose they've got to replace the Danczuk bile.
Working on the wild side.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/143243 ... ref=twtrec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He fought for the British Army in Helmand and Basra ... so why has this Fijian soldier been left destitute and battling to stay in the UK with his family?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour is the only friend this pro-EU prime minister still has
William Keegan
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Hodges joins Mail.jpg
Oh joy.

"BEST"??????????

Ye gods.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Good morning all

Back from a week in China for work

Just watching Kendall on Marr....what the hell is she doing criticising the left and the Labour Party on the EU....I thought Johnson was leading Labour's campaign....surely it is for him to make the argument and anyway it isn't that easy when the media is focused on the clear splits in the Tory Party. Labour are actually quite boring on this...and so will be ignored.

And then Jon Sopel who isn't even based in the UK but weighs in about Labour...the story is all the about the Tories...the referendum is because of splits in the Tories and the current hatred is between the Tories....

Also Kendall is the most appalling communicator....
Absolutely rightly. Some of the 4.5% tendency genuinely want Labour to do exactly what it did in the Scottish referendum - they are mad.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Hodges joins Mail.jpg
Oh joy.

'In the corridors of power' = always a willing ear for disgruntled Blairites who really should know better. And I suspect if he can't find one, he makes it up. Too many instances of queues of Hodges-friendly and suspiciously unnamed sources during Ed's time, which was relatively cohesive.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Though there is no doubt certain shadow ministers did whisper into his ear regularly - <cough>J*m *u*p*y<cough>
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Though there is no doubt certain shadow ministers did whisper into his ear regularly - <cough>J*m *u*p*y<cough>
Oh, him ... As if he was some kind of great asset to the Labour Party. Great asset to the SNP, that's for sure :fire:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ephemerid wrote:There's a terrific little game called Pass the Pigs - my daughter and I whiled away many a rainy hour on camping holidays playing it.

For the uninitiated, it involves throwing little pigs as though they were dice, and how they land determines your score.

Each type of landing has a name, and my little game today is attributing those names to our great and glorious leaders.
Pig Out - Richard Benyon, net worth £110 Million, some of whose income derives from the £120 Million his state gets in Housing Benefit.
Razorback - Osborne post-Caligula haircut, with handy blade for cutting services, tax credits, and benefits for poor people.
Makin' Bacon or Oinker - Boris Johnson, whose greed and adulterous liaisons more than qualify him for this naughty score.
Snouter - Nadhim Zahawi, for his snouting at the trough of public money (he has lots of pals who do the same)
Piggyback - anyone who joins in when the government benches are guffawing heartily at reports of extreme poverty.
Double Leaning Jowler - who else but Slimy Dave, who gets fatter and more pompous by the day.

Of course, should we vote for Brexit, the piggies will all be fine and dandy - that's because George Eustice has informed us that all the money we pay the EU will go to farmers so that they can afford to be nice to their animals.
Wisely "The Cam in the Ham", combination gets no points, primarily for public decency, but also because the estate of Dr Seuss would sue.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Hodges's soon to be colleague at the MoS, Peter Hitchens will continue to be far more critical of the government than supposedly 'tribal Labour' Hodges, whose shtick has always been to apply forensically critical scrutiny to the party who aren't in office.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Hitchens today on the increase in women's retirement age:
The really bad thing about modern politicians is the way they punish people for trying to be good. When a marriage is in trouble, the state takes the side of the spouse who wants to break it up. When a young student is starting out in life, he or she is forced to go deep into debt.

All around us we see dishonesty and crime flourish, cynical loan-sharks and gambling joints allowed to prey on the weak and foolish, as the greedy and selfish push to the front of the queue and the kind and considerate are left till last.

But until last week I didn’t realise what a horrible thing the Government has done to those on the verge of qualifying for their pensions after saving carefully all their lives. A reader, let us call her Kathy, wrote to me to explain exactly how this has affected her.

Kathy is now 61 and has paid full National Insurance contributions for 39 years. Five years ago, she was made redundant. At first she went self-employed and held several contract or freelance posts, and one apparently permanent job which did not last. In fact, there are few of these around for anyone, old or young, these days.

As she says: ‘I should have been able to draw on my state pension at age 60 but due to government changes I won’t get a state pension for another five and a half years. I am therefore expected to work until this age, which I don’t have a problem doing – except that I can’t find a new job.’

No wonder. Far too many employers simply won’t look at job applicants in their 50s or 60s, leaving many thousands of men and women in a horrible limbo. To begin with, Kathy was able to get a small payment in the form of Jobseeker’s Allowance (not unjustly, as she has never ceased to seek work).
Kathy has always done what she was brought up to do. She thought she had looked after her future. She lived frugally to buy her own home, while saving carefully for her retirement. But as soon as she took money out of her (very modest) pension pot to make ends meet, the Jobseeker’s Allowance stopped. When she protested, she was advised by an official to sell her home. As she says: ‘Why should I have to when I’ve now worked for more than 40 years, paid 39 years’ full National Insurance but am not able to draw on my state pension?

‘If the Government had not been under-handed in advising this group of women who fall within this age category then I would not be looking for any benefit help as I would have drawn my state pension at age 60.

‘It’s disgraceful that women caught up in this very unfair change to their state pension should end up in the stressful situation that I now find myself in. I have no husband or partner to support me and have never expected any help until now.’

I asked the Government about this, and they said blandly: ‘We have to take income and capital into account when calculating someone’s entitlement to means-tested benefits.

‘For those below state pension age, any funds held in a pension pot are disregarded, but if funds are withdrawn they will be taken into account.’ Well, yes, I can see that. But the nation owes Kathy the pension she paid for, and it’s dodging its duty.

Why pretend there is such a thing as ‘National Insurance’ if it can simply be postponed for years to suit the Treasury which, as we all know, wastes money all over the place elsewhere? What would happen to a private company that promised a pension and then failed to deliver it on the promised date?

I’m all in favour of a welfare state, for those who genuinely cannot cope and also for those who contribute. Is it so hard to design it in such a way that it cares for the truly needy, rewards the provident and is tough on the feckless and the cynical? It seems so.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Who is y'all ?

Bad joke,sorry.
Good-afternoon!
Don't be sorry, I don't mind.

'Y'all' is a word used in the Deep South USA meaning 'everbody' - I defy anyone living there for no more than six months not picking it up - it's as natural as can be.
I've lived many different places in the world, picked up a range of accents.
People turn and look at me with a quizzical expression on their face when I talk.
At least, I think it's the accent making them stare.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
East Ham Conservative defects to Labour over junior doctors dispute
Wonders never do quite cease
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Following on from the Mail on Sunday report about the NHS & new rules on organ donation to save hundreds of lives a year being reported as "NHS To Harvest Babies' Organs":
2016-03-06_124244.jpg
2016-03-06_124244.jpg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 6927 times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Apologies if we have already reported this, but once again a story which makes one ashamed to be British:

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To paraphrase Jim Royle "Northern Powerhouse, my arse"
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I posted a few days ago that the homeless night shelter in Bracknell had been shut even though the weather is dreadful and some Labour activists were trying to make sure they had a bus pass to get to Camberely's shelter which is still open.

Our lone Labour councilor is going to see the leader of the council tomorrow to see if we can open up a community centre which is standing unused due to lack of funds for updating. She is hoping it can be an all day drop in centre but we shall have to see and it will depend on volunteers and donations.

Went into Aldi for some disposable razors and ended up buying toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, and a pack of 4 bars of Imperial Leather soap - a bargain at 79p, as well. Better value than Poundland !!!

One nice thing when I was dropping the toiletries off, was the homeless reckon people in Bracknell are kinder to them than elsewhere.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Outrage over charity chief’s ‘complicity’ in bid to limit voluntary sector lobbying
Chairman of Charity Commission urged trustee to meet head of a free market thinktank that receives funding from tobacco industry

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... ing-clause" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... IEA research was used by the government to justify a new “anti-advocacy clause” that will be inserted into all government grants for charities, prohibiting the money from being spent on lobbying.

Leaders of charities and voluntary organisations say Shawcross has been “active and complicit” in creating the clause, which they claim will allow corporations to influence public debate without opposition.

Emails shared with the Observer show that Shawcross asked a commission trustee, Professor Gwythian Prins, a climate change sceptic, to approach Snowdon to discuss the issue of charities lobbying the government.

In an email dated Tuesday, 7 May 2013, which carries the subject heading “Political campaigning”, Prins writes: “Dear Mr Snowdon, the chairman of the Charity Commission, upon whose board I shall shortly start to serve, has asked me to talk to you about matters of mutual interest. I shall be happy to do so … this issue is no flash in the pan.”

In subsequent emails the pair agree to meet. Snowdon shared some of his thoughts with Prins, saying that there were “some things the Charity Commission could do but I think most of the responsibility lies with the government. If you think the commission could do more, I would genuinely love to hear your suggestions.”...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Some lovely pink patio roses from my son for mothering Sunday...It used to be a bottle of gin. :lol: :lol: :lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Mother's Ruin"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Hitchens today on the increase in women's retirement age:
The really bad thing about modern politicians is the way they punish people for trying to be good. When a marriage is in trouble, the state takes the side of the spouse who wants to break it up. When a young student is starting out in life, he or she is forced to go deep into debt.

All around us we see dishonesty and crime flourish, cynical loan-sharks and gambling joints allowed to prey on the weak and foolish, as the greedy and selfish push to the front of the queue and the kind and considerate are left till last.

But until last week I didn’t realise what a horrible thing the Government has done to those on the verge of qualifying for their pensions after saving carefully all their lives. A reader, let us call her Kathy, wrote to me to explain exactly how this has affected her.

Kathy is now 61 and has paid full National Insurance contributions for 39 years. Five years ago, she was made redundant. At first she went self-employed and held several contract or freelance posts, and one apparently permanent job which did not last. In fact, there are few of these around for anyone, old or young, these days.

As she says: ‘I should have been able to draw on my state pension at age 60 but due to government changes I won’t get a state pension for another five and a half years. I am therefore expected to work until this age, which I don’t have a problem doing – except that I can’t find a new job.’

No wonder. Far too many employers simply won’t look at job applicants in their 50s or 60s, leaving many thousands of men and women in a horrible limbo. .......
The really bad thing about political journalists is the way the conflate separate issues.
"Kathy's" problem is that she was made redundant at 56 and can't find another job, the same happened to me. Ageism and the poor state of the economy, assuming she lives outside London, are the problem. Exactly the same can happen to a man and they have to find a way to get to 65 for their state pension too.
The 2011 change in state pension age for women was indefensible but so was the status quo pre-1995.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

gilsey wrote:
nickyinnorfolk wrote:Hitchens today on the increase in women's retirement age:

No wonder. Far too many employers simply won’t look at job applicants in their 50s or 60s, leaving many thousands of men and women in a horrible limbo. .......
The really bad thing about political journalists is the way the conflate separate issues.
"Kathy's" problem is that she was made redundant at 56 and can't find another job, the same happened to me. Ageism and the poor state of the economy, assuming she lives outside London, are the problem. Exactly the same can happen to a man and they have to find a way to get to 65 for their state pension too.
The 2011 change in state pension age for women was indefensible but so was the status quo pre-1995.
Tbf I don't think anyone is claiming any different though gilsey.
I agree with you that the real issues are ageism in the workplace - and the state of the economy. Plus there are a lot of women in this age group who won't have had the kind of training, opportunities and experience that might have equipped them to be as well suited to getting employment in their late 50s and 60s. We have a government that seems to communicate and base policy on very contradictory messages and circumstances. They must know that the employment chances are not equal for this age group ... they must also know many women will have had broken career records and / or be in low pay jobs so don't have the means to support themselves when they can't find work. The behaviour of Ros Altmann is the best indicator to me that they know they've done a dirty on a fairly large group of women - also Steve Webb admitting that mistakes were made. They could make some fairly minor transitional arrangements for some women most badly affected - they just don't want to. They will, on the other hand, backtrack on introducing flat rate pension tax relief to avoid annoying the better off.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... t-70006250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gimme shelter: stories from London’s homeless
Rough sleeping has risen by 30% in the past year in the UK and the highest numbers are to be found in the London borough of Westminster. We ask some of those living on the streets to tell us their stories

https://www.connection-at-stmartins.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.connection-at-stmartins.org ... elessness/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Guardian Business ‏@BusinessDesk 1m1 minute ago
The innovators: portable solar panels that can be unrolled like a carpet http://gu.com/p/4hb23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brilliant stuff.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ITV News ‏@itvnews 6m6 minutes ago
Npower set to axe 2500 jobs http://www.itv.com/news/update/2016-03- ... 2500-jobs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Beds and activity: :o :shock: :?

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... ry/SN02641" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Trident’s profit trail leads right to the heart of Westminster

http://linkis.com/www.thecanary.co/201/lgPJT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How the hell are we supposed to make up our minds about important matters, when there is so much graft?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
as off-topic as ever, but almost guaranteed to cheer
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
as off-topic as ever, but almost guaranteed to cheer
Did you ever watch the TV series "The Secret Life of Machines" (Tim Hinchin?)? Absolutely wonderful.

Edited

I think it was Tim Hunkin, actually. Just came to me.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 06 Mar, 2016 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:there are a lot of women in this age group who won't have had the kind of training, opportunities and experience that might have equipped them to be as well suited to getting employment in their late 50s and 60s. We have a government that seems to communicate and base policy on very contradictory messages and circumstances. They must know that the employment chances are not equal for this age group ... they must also know many women will have had broken career records and / or be in low pay jobs so don't have the means to support themselves when they can't find work.
I'm not sure about that, men in their late 50s and 60s may face different challenges but I don't think that it's easier for them overall, men made redundant from heavy industry for instance. Nor is it easier if you're well qualified, if you don't live in a prosperous city you're over-qualified for almost everything.
I agree with the second part though, women, on average, will have had less opportunities to earn private pensions and will have been lower paid through their working lives.
They could make some fairly minor transitional arrangements for some women most badly affected
They did, my pension age was to change by 23 months and they brought it back to 18. It's a common mistake among journalists to suggest that nobody noticed in 2010/11, lots of women did and complained vociferously. We were thrown some crumbs. We might have got a crust if a few more had been awake and joined us.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Observer view on homelessness
Observer editorial
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

:wall: :wall: :wall: under view on homeless comment which refers to homeless people as defective....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

gilsey wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:there are a lot of women in this age group who won't have had the kind of training, opportunities and experience that might have equipped them to be as well suited to getting employment in their late 50s and 60s. We have a government that seems to communicate and base policy on very contradictory messages and circumstances. They must know that the employment chances are not equal for this age group ... they must also know many women will have had broken career records and / or be in low pay jobs so don't have the means to support themselves when they can't find work.
I'm not sure about that, men in their late 50s and 60s may face different challenges but I don't think that it's easier for them overall, men made redundant from heavy industry for instance. Nor is it easier if you're well qualified, if you don't live in a prosperous city you're over-qualified for almost everything.
I agree with the second part though, women, on average, will have had less opportunities to earn private pensions and will have been lower paid through their working lives.
They could make some fairly minor transitional arrangements for some women most badly affected
They did, my pension age was to change by 23 months and they brought it back to 18. It's a common mistake among journalists to suggest that nobody noticed in 2010/11, lots of women did and complained vociferously. We were thrown some crumbs. We might have got a crust if a few more had been awake and joined us.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing with the fairness / equality argument you are making re men and women - including job prospects in late 50s and 60s. Transitional arrangements for those who were given very very short notice of the additional increase to their state pension age could include some kind of reduced pension for the interim period IMO. It's a relatively small time period and a limited no of people. And that short notice was definitely unfair as evidenced by the subsequent government commitment to give no less than 10 years notice of such an increase.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Government to review £500m-worth of Atos contracts after IT failure
Cabinet Office to examine Whitehall contracts worth £10m in move suggesting lack of confidence in outsourcing company

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... it-failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

... The decision to launch the review follows severe criticism by the National Audit Office of Atos’s role in the development of an IT system designed to allow the extraction of data from GP practice systems.

MPs on the public accounts committee examined the auditors’ report and found that Atos, the supplier contracted for a key part of the system, “did not show an appropriate duty of care to the taxpayer” and “appears to have acted solely with its own short-term best interests in mind”.

They suggested that although Atos may have complied with the letter of its contractual obligations, it took advantage of a weak client by taking the client’s money while knowing that the system had not been properly tested.

The expected cost of the system rose from £14m to £40m during the planning and procurement phase, and has since risen further....
F***ing sickening.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote::wall: :wall: :wall: under view on homeless comment which refers to homeless people as defective....
They're frightened - they'd have to acknowledge it could happen to them otherwise.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Government to review £500m-worth of Atos contracts after IT failure
Cabinet Office to examine Whitehall contracts worth £10m in move suggesting lack of confidence in outsourcing company

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... it-failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I do actually wonder whether the tide is turning on outsourcing. Having smaller budgets does concentrate the mind somewhat.

I wonder how many FTSE 100 companies outsource finance, IT, personnel now?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yes.Unfortunately if it did they would be the least likely to cope.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... -mackenzie

A LibDem ex-No10 spad tries to re-write history while suggesting that mentally ill people should somehow be protected from spending their own money because - shock, amazement - mentally ill people often get into debt as a result of their condition, and the anxiety debt causes makes them more ill. A conclusion she now sees clearly even though it evaded her between 2010-15.

Well, in a way that's true enough. Unfortunately Polly MacKenzie still lives in the world of her wonderful coalition government that helped the poor and disadvantaged in so many wonderful ways.

"She admitted it was easier to look openly at some of the social effects on mental health now she was no longer part of a government imposing welfare cuts. “I think there is something in that, yes,” she said. “I think one thing that was a mistake is this idea that you want to treat people who are benefit claimants as the same as anybody else, to be given more and more responsibility for money management."

The assessment was that to make it easier for people to move into work it had to be harder to live on benefits. But being in financial anxiety … has an impact on your IQ equivalent to losing an entire night’s sleep,”
(my emphasis).

How on earth does putting people under more and more financial stress, to the extent of not even having money for food for weeks or even years, make it "easier for people to move into work"? How does having less to live on mean employers are more likely to employ you?

How does starvation and homelessness heal depression, schizophrenia, OCD?

Is this woman delusional? After all, as a LibDem No10 spad she must know all her MPs all voted for exactly that policy at every opportunity they had. And laughed and cheered while they did so.

Typical LibDem. Sound all warm, lovely and caring in opposition then gleefully act like the utter bastards they are when given the slightest hint of power.

Then when back in opposition explain how utterly dreadful the policies the LibDems so enthusiastically supported and voted for were, and how if you want them overturned you should vote for the warm, lovely and caring LibDems. Always remembering that if someone has the cheek to point out your blatant hypocrisy, call them "tribalist", accuse them of having a "closed mind", smile sweetly and hand-wave them away.

Apparently this odious woman is "credited" with ensuring the LibDems "pushed mental health as a focal point". Round here, like the rest of the country, the result of the policies the LibDems enabled was the near destruction of mental health services in 2011 and things have got worse since.

After their 1920s coalition with the Tories the Liberals were destroyed and didn't see a hint of power for 80 years. Now they've reminded us all why that was with any luck it'll be a lot longer than 80 years before they're in a position to wreck the lives of millions of people again.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Non acceptance of you are not better can be the death of people.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I'm not cleaning for the fucking Queen!

Jonathan Pie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6rmGx4 ... e=youtu.be
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

“I think one thing that was a mistake is this idea that you want to treat people who are benefit claimants as the same as anybody else, to be given more and more responsibility for money management."
If you survive on benefits it is likely you have better money managment skills than most, and if you fall into debt it is likely because the amount the government says you need to live on has been arbitarily removed and/or eroded by various cuts sanctions and other punitive means while having to live alongside people who somehow think you are living in the lap of luxury because you still have a roof overcyour head.

When will we start hearing more from those who are not sitting in some kind of judgement on the people who have borne the brunt of austerity and the media howling?

People without self awareness gleefully constructing a two tier society while claiming they have some kind of moral argument that trumps the voices of those who understand exactly what poverty is and where it comes from.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:Non acceptance of you are not better can be the death of people.
Over yonder in the other place, right-wingers dreadfully offended by facts and reality.
People posting facts just aren't happy, they write.
One commentator suggested Osborne would "love to be able to report that ONS had recorded high wage growth."
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:
I'm not cleaning for the fucking Queen!

Jonathan Pie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6rmGx4 ... e=youtu.be
Is anybody, apart from Michael Gove? :)