Friday 8th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 8th April 2016

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Afternoon. Sex ? What have I missed ?

It was great to see the press front pages in the papershop this morning.
Massed bad headlines for Cameron. :dance:

& phew, relief...my GP is ''delighted'' at my progress, seems satisfied now I don't need a neurological opinion as the drug regime is cutting down the attacks and frequency of the attacks.

Good news about your health!

Oh - and the sex reference -

It's always been said that Labour get caught out with money scandals and that the Conservatives get caught out on sex scandals.

And - where's George Osborne?

Edited

typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Fri 08 Apr, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The news front pages:
http://www.thepaperboy.com/uk/front-pages.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Ok. I'm struggling to keep up now. It seems Labour does think Cameron may have broken some rules after all, or at least are pushing for independent confirmation he hasn't:
I doubt Mann's view is the Party line - IIRC he has a history of being a bit freelance doesn't he?

I know he's a serial resignation demander.
He's also a serial promiser of revelations, and not obviously bright.

But I must say, I don't know why he isn't right this time. Surely not declaring an interest is a serious matter? Especially for the leader of the Opposition? MPs have lost the whip in the past for not declaring interests.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Going back a bit, but this bloke lost the whip, and got deselected too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Brow ... ary_career" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: I doubt Mann's view is the Party line - IIRC he has a history of being a bit freelance doesn't he?

I know he's a serial resignation demander.

He's also a serial promiser of revelations, and not obviously bright.

But I must say, I don't know why he isn't right this time. Surely not declaring an interest is a serious matter? Especially for the leader of the Opposition? MPs have lost the whip in the past for not declaring interests.

Stopped clocks and all that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Per Scrapbook
a) Any relevant financial interest or material benefit which does not clearly fall into one of the other categories, including any shareholding which falls below the relevant threshold, or any other financial asset, including an asset held in trust, if the Member nevertheless considers that it meets the test of relevance; in other words, that it might reasonably be thought by others to influence his or her actions or words as a Member; and

b) Any other interest, if the Member considers that it might reasonably be thought by others to influence his or her actions or words as a Member in the same way as a financial interest. This might include an unpaid employment or directorship, or directorship of a company not currently trading, non-practising membership of a profession, or a fund established to defray legal costs arising out of the Member’s work, but from which no benefit has yet been received.
You can certainly make a case that Cameron's trust was relevant given that tax avoidance has been a hot topic- in particular re Lord Ashcroft.

But maybe not worth pushing it, because it's not a dead cert. As Willow says, might be a boost for him- "cleared by an independent".
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Next PMQs review.

Cameron hasn't resigned on the spot. Corbyn's inability to miss this open goal is a sign of how weak he is. Cameron's careful answers that majestically ignored Corbyn's questions highlighted what a marvelous prime minister he is. Technically, he did resort to a long personal attack on Corbyn after question number 6, but Corbyn should be astute enough to anticipate this character assassination. Bear pit politics that we (in the press gallery) love.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Just so's you don't feel ignored -

No, sorry - I'm not equal to the task. But somebody who is will probably be along in due course.
Sorry I can't either. I still can't download files or photos. I haven't found a fix yet.
Where's the link to the image, please?
Thank you.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices#gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the best I can do. It takes you to the whole page, not the cartoon. But the cartoon is down on the left hand side in a gallery of cartoons.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Afternoon all.
Totally off topic,(though on topic,who believes the PM is telling the whole truth?),do we have any John Connolly fans here?
I foolishly bought two copies of his newly released Charlie Parker,so have a spare looking for a new home!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Afternoon. Sex ? What have I missed ?

It was great to see the press front pages in the papershop this morning.
Massed bad headlines for Cameron. :dance:

& phew, relief...my GP is ''delighted'' at my progress, seems satisfied now that I don't need a neurological opinion as the drug regime is cutting down the attacks and frequency of the attacks.
Don't have to go back for a month, which is good.
Hurrah!
Many blessings, yahyah!
Good health and healing for you!
:heart:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Maeght wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Sorry I can't either. I still can't download files or photos. I haven't found a fix yet.
Where's the link to the image, please?
Thank you.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices#gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the best I can do. It takes you to the whole page, not the cartoon. But the cartoon is down on the left hand side in a gallery of cartoons.
The image doesn't want to be saved as a downloadable - my expertise doesn't extend beyond - apologies though, it's funny
Thank you for linking it, sorry I can't help, someone else may be able to do so
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Maeght wrote:Can anybody copy the cartoon in The Independent Voices - the one about Jersey please. Really like it and it is very appropriate . Just can't seem to do it.

Just so's you don't feel ignored -

No, sorry - I'm not equal to the task. But somebody who is will probably be along in due course.
Sorry I can't either. I still can't download files or photos. I haven't found a fix yet.
Is this the one you wanted. Not sure how big it'll come out. Perhaps Refitman can work his magic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5L8Qu ... LImXl=s135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Timing is everything
John Mann's reporting Cameron to the Parliamentary standards watchdog isn't pointless, we don't know what they'll do
I've got bad feeling about this here for Dave, that's all, not wishful thinking on my part
Tories still in government even if Dave takes his fall
NeilBB
Backbencher

Post by NeilBB »

A little test. Hope it works.
Attachments
cam.jpg
cam.jpg (105.57 KiB) Viewed 6309 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Woohoo!
Thank you kindly, NeilBB!
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Interesting (to me at least) that very few of the upper echelons of the tory party have been jumping to our glorious leaders defence.

So far I have seen the useless Nick Boles try and sell us the good son act, Bernard Jenkin give qualified (at best) support. I did not see the screech that is Anna Soubry (deliberately) on David Dimbletories programme last night.

Where are the "big beasts" I was expecting to come out in Daves defence. Where are John Major, Michael Howard,William Hague and the likes of Michael Heseltine?

Where ,for that matter, are all his cabinet colleagues.Are those on the opposite side of the referendum campaign keeping quiet for tactical reasons. Are those with ambitions to succeed him as leader keeping quiet for the same reasons. Are they all keeping their heads below the parapet lest their own financial actions are investigated just that little bit more intensively?

Or (and I say this more in hope than expectation) is this a sign of his real current standing within the party with all the other pieces of negative press, U turns, Doctors strike, Tata cock up etc. and that he is being left to stew in his own juice. Does this mean that he is no longer being seen as an electoral asset and the party is already moving on?

I am sure some high level tories will be prevailed upon to show up on the Sunday political shows or be interviewed for the tame tory press but I guess the question is this the beginning of the end for Dave or not. I for one am keeping my fingers firmly crossed.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

NeilBB wrote:A little test. Hope it works.
Thank you very much NeilBB.

Can you tell me how you did it? I have a Mac. Don't know if it makes any difference.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

My German isn't good enough for this
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 16.07.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 16.07.15.png (283.84 KiB) Viewed 6287 times
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Just so's you don't feel ignored -

Is this the one you wanted. Not sure how big it'll come out. Perhaps Refitman can work his magic.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/5L8Qu ... LImXl=s135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you very much Ohso. You did much better than me! I couldn't get anything. NeilBB seems to have managed it. :D
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:My German isn't good enough for this
It says: Hasn't he got a letter box any more?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

George Galloway's stirring the pot, says Corbyn should call a vote of no confidence next week.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Maeght wrote:
Thanks. That's what I thought. Can you also explain why it's funny? ;-)
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Maeght wrote:
I don't think it is very funny. Probably they mean he has taken the letter box away to prevent anybody sending him embarrassing letters.

Where did you get it?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Maeght wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Maeght wrote: It says: Hasn't he got a letter box any more?
I don't think it is very funny. Probably they mean he has taken the letter box away to prevent anybody sending him embarrassing letters.

Where did you get it?
My guess was the potential deluge of return to senders for the £9m referendum pamphlets.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Aaaah - it's off Twitter

There is a lot of interest in Dave overseas it seems.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Michael Rosen's review of QT. :)

http://michaelrosenblog.blogspot.co.uk/ ... -dont.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Aren't cultural and linguistic differences fascinating?
How can people not be curious and want finding out 'why is, what does...'?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Maeght wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Maeght wrote: It says: Hasn't he got a letter box any more?

Where did you get it?
I think it's a ref to the PO box in Panama Blairmore was registered at. Not v good though.

Im still of the opinion he will brazen it out, though.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Out canvassing this morning.

The 9m spend on Cameron's 'Project Fact' leaflet isn't going down well. Not at all. I think he'll be receiving an awful lot of them back.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Offshore Shank Redemption.jpg
The Offshore Shank Redemption.jpg (58.28 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
HuffPostUK Politics Retweeted
HuffPost UK Comedy ‏@HuffPostUKCom 2m2 minutes ago
NEW: The film adaptation of #ResignCameron
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Maeght wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Sorry I can't either. I still can't download files or photos. I haven't found a fix yet.

Thank you very much Ohso. You did much better than me! I couldn't get anything. NeilBB seems to have managed it. :D
I use Google, so have a facility that finds the photo on Google, either by clicking on the photo or typing in the search box, but they're really tiny...And sometimes the numbers and letters in the link are really long. That one wasn't so bad.

You should see some of the Cameron and the pig photos it throws up. :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Isn't there a rule in politics about how damaging something is based on whether the story is still running after the weekend ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Alberto Nardelli ‏@AlbertoNardelli 10m10 minutes ago
Caffè Nero Sends Letter To Staff Ending Free Lunch Because Of National Living Wage http://www.buzzfeed.com/saraspary/caffe ... .wcBg56JZe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … via @saramayspary @BuzzFeedUK
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Temulkar wrote:
Maeght wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Thanks. That's what I thought. Can you also explain why it's funny? ;-)

Where did you get it?
I think it's a ref to the PO box in Panama Blairmore was registered at. Not v good though.

Good-afternoon, Temulkar, you're right in your estimation of Cameron - he's a brazen man.
I don't know if this is what pushes him out or not
Timing, circumstances coalesce and boom, it's over
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

yahyah wrote:Isn't there a rule in politics about how damaging something is based on whether the story is still running after the weekend ?
Yes that sounds familiar, Alastair Campbell's possibly?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Another reason not to cut pensioner benefits:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

larryfelino@tradedirect-biz
To Mossack Fonseca

I shall arrive this evening to discuss urgent arrangements.

Kind regards
Larry

Edit: deliberately broke mock email link
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Temulkar wrote:
Maeght wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Thanks. That's what I thought. Can you also explain why it's funny? ;-)

Where did you get it?

Temulkar wrote:
Maeght wrote:

Where did you get it?

I think it might be a pun,
German for incubator is 'brutkasten',
which I think is also an investment account.
which is similar to 'briefkasten'
(letterbox)

I hope I'm wrong.
Last edited by tinybgoat on Fri 08 Apr, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kay Burley ‏@KayBurley 28m28 minutes ago
For those of you reporting a 'loud bang' in Oxfordshire just after 4pm. We believe it was a sonic boom. Stand down :-)
She's funny sometimes.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal Islam ‏@faisalislam 2m2 minutes ago
Charles Walker also repeatedly downplayed PM's £30k investment in offshore fund telling @kayburley it would "only buy a Skoda Octavia"
:lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Faisal IslamVerified account
‏@faisalislam
Conservative MP Charles Walker tells @kayburley if MPs have to publish tax returns, he'll bring a private members bill to ban curtains

Josh May ‏@JoshMay_PH 11m11 minutes ago
Charles Walker on MPs publishing their tax return: “Why should I have my right to look into someone’s home impinged by someone’s curtain?”
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

Quick dip in before I shoot off to the library. Just spent a happy few hours getting a chapter ready to send off...and it's gone.

re cameron. I don't think I've seen so much whataboutery come out before. lets's see...

Guardian owned by offshore company - no it isn't
ISAs - it's govt sponsored savings scheme
Miliband's inheritance tax
Owen Jones selling books on Amazon!
That Greek bloke

and many more. Pretty hilarious stuff really.

OK, off now.
My personal favourite is the perennial "stashing your money in hidden offshore accounts is no different to going into a shop, looking at the VATable items on display and not buying them. By not buying them you are avoiding tax!!!11! Do you buy everything you see for sale? If not you're a lefty hypocrite!!!!!"

Frequently wheeled out by one of the 's' named 'we're dead clever us' set, e.g. str***gem or the especially dim one named after kitchen furnishings. Shelfie really should change his/her name to the far more descriptive "two short planks". The Dunning-Kruger effect is particularly strong in that one.

Though the Republicans do have a long history of deliberately sounding dim in the hope it appeals to people who don't think much. Rather like soap-opera scriptwriters who try to make sure the most intelligent character in the show isn't so cunningly clever that the average viewer can't work out what they're up to.

Being careful not to appear to be too bright was reckoned to be Reagan's secret electoral weapon.
I'm getting tired of calming down....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jimmy CarrVerified account
‏@jimmycarr
I'm going to keep it classy. It would be ‘morally wrong’ and ‘hypocrytical’ to comment on another individual’s tax affairs.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 1m1 minute ago
Anti-fox hunting activists BUGGED in 'sinister, James Bond-style plot'
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/an ... ed-7717325" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
This is where he's very clearly done something wrong, although Owen Smith was very good on BBC News about the basic hypocrisy of criticising the immoral, but legal world of tax avoidance when he himself was clearly part of that world. Only selling his shares when he became PM, rather than when he became an MP, and keeping it quiet doesn't look good for him, even if the morally repugnant tax dodging, as he himself put it, is not technically against our tax laws. Random Tories saying he's paid all tax owed on dividends etc are idiots, really, as how could they possibly know that for certain?
Hi Willow

Indeed. And we need to remind people that as a public servant he doesn't just have to follow the letter of the law, he is obliged to conform to the "Nolan" Principles of Public Life.

I and others here who work in the public sector are equally obliged to do so and understand this. All official meetings I attend start with a declaration of conflicts of interest. I have to declare any financial interests to my employer. And so on.

Nolan was brought in by Major (I think) in response to cash for questions. People seem to be forgetting it still applies.
Absolutely. I once worked in local government, my wife is a civil servant. There were and are strict rules, statutory and contractual, about what public sector employees can or can not do and can or can not be seen to be doing. If councillors behaved like the MPs who thoroughly exploited their expenses scheme the councillor would be suspended by the local authority's chief executive and quite possibly facing criminal charges. Public sector employees would find the disciplinary process coming down on them like a ton of bricks.

Yet MPs never seem to want to extend the financial and outside employment strictures of the local government Acts or civil service code to themselves....
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Telegraph Business ‏@telebusiness 5m5 minutes ago
UK manufacturing slumps as trade deficit with EU hits fresh record ahead of Brexit vote http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
How much longer can the Tories carry on pretending the economy is OK?

How much longer will they be allowed to get away with doing so?
Thatcher managed 11 years by saying the economy was totally crap, but it was all the fault of Callaghan/Foot/Kinnock/Europe/Unions and an ever stiffer dose of Hayek and Friedman was absolutely the cure. Which only the Tories could deliver because Unions/Europe/Foot/Kinnock.

While at the same time insisting that thanks to her and the deregulating union-busting Tories the economy had recovered and was booming. Despite wages stagnating, unemployment stagnating and the infrastructure falling to bits around us.

Still, at least she never openly campaigned to have the ill and disabled redefined as an enemy within and worthless feckless layabout scroungers who need a good strong dose of destitution to buck their ideas up. That required the next generation of Tories, a generation she created and bequeathed to us. :-(
Last edited by TR'sGhost on Fri 08 Apr, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Excellent detailed analysis of what was and wasn't said.

David Cameron's ITV interview: what he said and what he left out

http://gu.com/p/4t7fh" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

StephenDolan wrote:
Maeght wrote:

Where did you get it?
My guess was the potential deluge of return to senders for the £9m referendum pamphlets.
I'm sure you are right. Just didn't think of that. Not on twitter although I do follow certain people.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

tinybgoat wrote:I'm confused,
David Cameron has admitted to having bought/sold some shares before being PM & before his father's death. He still hasn't addressed any funds, presumably inherited by his mother, Mary.

http://news.carbon-future.co.uk/archives/12289

Is Blairmore Holdings a bit like Gringotts, in that you just have to have a key to a vault, and once in possession of a key can just take from the vault at will, as long as the withdrawal is under legal limits.
Like Gringotts nobody else needs to know how much is in the vault, or who has keys to the vault?
That's pretty much how the Swiss used to operate until the USA and EU leaned on them very heavily. If you had the required account number, password and, if applicable, key to your safe deposit box that was all that was required, no more questions asked and no bank employee would ever dream of finding out what items you had in that box. Privacy was all, and absolute privacy was what the banks sold.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Mark Steel wrote:Presumably, if the wife of one of these businessmen came home to find them having an orgy with the entire cast of Emmerdale in a room mocked up to look like Anne Frank’s attic, they’d say, “Alright, don’t make a fuss. I’ve not done anything illegal.”
So he was at that party too!
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.