Thursday 21st April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 21st April 2016

Post by yahyah »

Mmm...hope this is not trouble ahead.

Michael Crick's tweeted ''Very strange. Labour seem to have decided no party figure should come on C4 News to discuss our election expenses allegations. I wonder why''
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

How are you feeling now JA ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 7h7 hours ago
London Mayoral voting intention, second prefs. incl:

Khan (LAB): 60%
Goldsmith (CON): 40%

(via YouGov / 15 - 19 Apr)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:How are you feeling now JA ?
I'm okay, thank you, yahyah. You're very good to me. My partner will be home soon - he's riding his bike. I get overwhelmed sometimes. I don't mean to trouble you. Just the act of typing out, 'I feel the onset of a panic attack' was enough to forestall it. Thank you.
:heart:
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:Hi all

Mail reporting that Prince has died! Not sure if confirmed yet

2016 - what a terrible year
The Guardian's got it, seems to be true.

This is starting to get uncanny.
The truth ferret speaks!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

His death is being reported as "Breaking News" on the BBC News website.

Edited - typo
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:

His death is being reported as "Breaking News" on the BBC Newsebsite.
I didn't know I'd feel this sad about his death.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

citizenJA wrote:
I'm okay, thank you, yahyah. You're very good to me. My partner will be home soon - he's riding his bike. I get overwhelmed sometimes. I don't mean to trouble you. Just the act of typing out, 'I feel the onset of a panic attack' was enough to forestall it. Thank you.
Bless your heart - does deep breathing help? We take short, shallow breaths when we're stressed.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

His death is being reported as "Breaking News" on the BBC Newsebsite.
I didn't know I'd feel this sad about his death.
So sad - 57 is too young.

It's getting quite uncanny how many of the great and the good we're losing this year.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I have reached the point where I literally can't handle 2016 any more.

When Bowie died I was gutted, but slightly distant from the overwhelming grief others felt. And I said to myself: "so who would be my Bowie then?"

I knew the answer. He died today.

RIP Prince, you absolute genius.

And FUCK YOU 2016, you PIECE OF SHIT.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

mbc1955 wrote:

The Guardian's got it, seems to be true.

This is starting to get uncanny.
Snap
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

citizenJA wrote:

Good to hear that, and that you are able to divert the panic.

My GP referred me to a CPN recently as my physical ill health had pushed my anxiety through the roof. Medication, and getting a diagnosis for the attacks I was having, has helped but I am starting some Mindfulness based behavioural therapy with the CPN next week.
She gave me this website address to look at: http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Prince had been ill - he'd cancelled a few shows last week, and had been in hospital with a flu-type illness, apparently.

What a hideous year so far for losing talented people.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:Mmm...hope this is not trouble ahead.

Michael Crick's tweeted ''Very strange. Labour seem to have decided no party figure should come on C4 News to discuss our election expenses allegations. I wonder why''
Let he who is without sin...
Yes - it does seem a bit strange unless Labour is holding fire until more evidence (and more damning evidence which they are certain is in the pipeline) comes to the fore. I hope that's the reason.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Hopes.

1. That no more beautifully clever and talented - and quite young - people die for now, please.

2. That Terry Matthews et al put together a good deal for Port Talbot. Those workers need a break.

3. That Labour keeps out of scandals involving Tories. Let the bastards get on with self-immolation.

4. That Ched Evans now gets a fair trial, with all the evidence, and not another trial by media. Whatever the final verdict is.

Thank you.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Secret DWP proposal to scrap ESA ‘substantial risk’ rules ‘would breach right to life’

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/se ... t-to-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Been thinking of this half remembered rant by Alexei Sayle from his show in the 80s. (He'd never be asked to do a show for them these days.)

Anyway, through the wonders of the interweb, I found it.

Kinda sums it all up.
Jimi Hendrix - dead. Phil Collins - alive. Ginger Rogers - dead. Sue Pollard - alive. Francis Bacon - dead. That bloke out of Kula Shaker - alive. Death be not proud - who wrote that? That's right, it was John Dunne. He of course has snuffed it, whereas Sir Andrew Lloyd Stinking Sir Bloody Webber is still stinking bloody with us! Shakespeare - dead. The wankers who wrote 'Three lions on a shirt! Football's cummin 'ome!' - still alive. Bill Shankley - dead. Graham Taylor - alive. Karen Carpenter - dead. The carpenter who fucked up my bleeding kitchen! Alive! It's as if God has developed a nasty mean streak. Anybody the least bit decent and wallop! Up they go! And what are we left with? The shite - that's what! I'll give you some more examples - bloke down the pub who said he'd do my accounts and introduce me to some powerful people in American television - dead. Bloke down the pub, 120 years old, spits in his beer, tells me about the great war - doesn't sound so bleedin great to me - he's still alive. Bloke down the pub owes me 80 quid - dead. Bloke down the pub who says he's going to rearrange my testicles if I don't find the electric hedge trimmers that he lent me six months ago - alive, alive, cockles and muscles bleedin o! Bill Hicks, John Lennon, Orson Welles - dead. Michael Bolton... Michael bleeding Bolton - alive. Roger Whittaker... Roger leaveitalone bleeding stinky poxy Durham Town Whittaker still bleeding alive! I'll give you another example - bloke down the pub, he said to me 'Charlie,' cos he's always too pissed to remember my bleeding name, he said 'Charlie, life is like a double-decker bus. It's red, it's got an upstairs and a downstairs. Sometimes there's a conductor, but these days usually just a driver.' And yes, you've guessed it - he's still alive, the twat! I mean if you're mean, if you're selfish, if you've got no bleeding talent you can do what you like forever. But if you're the least bit good, if you're the least bit talented then...... No. It's alright. I'm shite!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

This is from 2013.

There have been so many cover ups and scandals they're beginning to merge into one. What happened with this one?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... ffair.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Bless your heart - does deep breathing help? We take short, shallow breaths when we're stressed.
Better now, dear heart, thank you.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/ab ... periences/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abused, threatened and left stranded – young campaigners’ transport experiences
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/di ... ed-7805150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled woman has essential benefit reinstated after 'degrading' assessment by trainee overturned
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rob Merrick ‏@Rob_Merrick 30m30 minutes ago
Extraordinary story by @IanDunt of the legal ruling against the Home Sec which has "vanished into thin air" -

Secretive legal committee buries ruling against Theresa May
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/04 ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This report about burying the ruling that the student deportations were unlawful is so bad I can't quite believe it ... the judiciary is meant to be separate from politics .... it stinks.
The case also saw Dr Harrison, an expert in voice recognition, dismantle the claims about fraud – and their ability to test for fraud – made by the Home Office and ETS, the firm who ran the test. What he said was equally applicable to all the other cases where people had been wrongly accused of fraud. The evidence the Home Office relied on was identical in all cases, so knocking it down for one should knock it down for all.

But it won't, because the reporting committee is refusing to report it. The decision means that the case cannot be cited, except under very strict and laborious conditions, in other appeals. It means many thousands of people who have been unjustly deported will not even know of its existence. The decision makes the ruling against Theresa May legally useless. It’s as if it never happened. The reporting committee has taken a damning judgement against the home secretary and buried it.
Working on the wild side.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Channel 4 News.

17 empty chairs - and letters from MPs elected in the relevant seats received by C4 are all exactly the same.

Odd, that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I know that we've covered this but -
UK misses borrowing target by £1.8bn (Guardian)
Who does? Who "misses borrowing target by 1.8bn"? I know it wasn't me. Any of you owning up to this?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PorFavor wrote:I know that we've covered this but -
Who does? Who "misses borrowing target by 1.8bn"? I know it wasn't me. Any of you owning up to this?

It's the badgers, it is.

They've moved on a bit since the goalposts incident.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rafael Behr ‏@rafaelbehr 5m5 minutes ago
Rafael Behr Retweeted Pippa Crerar
The laughable candidate who cannot even pretend to have fought positive campaign rarely goes on to win.

Pippa Crerar
‏@PippaCrerar
Zac says "I've never had a political campaign that has ever been anything other than entirely positive". Audience laughs #ESMayoral
I hope Behr is right about that. And - sheesh - is this Goldsmith's real character coming out or has he caught the Tory brazen lying bug?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

That's the Guardian deciding not to put Tory Chancellor Osborne's name on his disasters.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:
It's the badgers, it is.

They've moved on a bit since the goalposts incident.
Doh! :smack:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Wasn't me Guv.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Rosamund Urwin ‏@RosamundUrwin 8h8 hours ago
Also, I wouldn't keep criticising my opponent for those he has met if I'd taken money from a Pinochet apologist

Rosamund Urwin: Zac Goldsmith’s nasty tactics will not impress most Londoners

http://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comme ... 30351.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The dirty two-dozen:

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/04/2 ... rspending/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Farron ‏@timfarron 22m22 minutes ago
This is an utter betrayal of #Cornwall and it's culture. The @libdems will fight this decision tooth and nail.

Cornish language funding stopped by government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36104716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:Been thinking of this half remembered rant by Alexei Sayle from his show in the 80s. (He'd never be asked to do a show for them these days.)

Anyway, through the wonders of the interweb, I found it.

Kinda sums it all up.
Jimi Hendrix - dead. Phil Collins - alive. Ginger Rogers - dead. Sue Pollard - alive. Francis Bacon - dead. That bloke out of Kula Shaker - alive. Death be not proud - who wrote that? That's right, it was John Dunne. He of course has snuffed it, whereas Sir Andrew Lloyd Stinking Sir Bloody Webber is still stinking bloody with us! Shakespeare - dead. The wankers who wrote 'Three lions on a shirt! Football's cummin 'ome!' - still alive. Bill Shankley - dead. Graham Taylor - alive. Karen Carpenter - dead. The carpenter who fucked up my bleeding kitchen! Alive! It's as if God has developed a nasty mean streak. Anybody the least bit decent and wallop! Up they go! And what are we left with? The shite - that's what! I'll give you some more examples - bloke down the pub who said he'd do my accounts and introduce me to some powerful people in American television - dead. Bloke down the pub, 120 years old, spits in his beer, tells me about the great war - doesn't sound so bleedin great to me - he's still alive. Bloke down the pub owes me 80 quid - dead. Bloke down the pub who says he's going to rearrange my testicles if I don't find the electric hedge trimmers that he lent me six months ago - alive, alive, cockles and muscles bleedin o! Bill Hicks, John Lennon, Orson Welles - dead. Michael Bolton... Michael bleeding Bolton - alive. Roger Whittaker... Roger leaveitalone bleeding stinky poxy Durham Town Whittaker still bleeding alive! I'll give you another example - bloke down the pub, he said to me 'Charlie,' cos he's always too pissed to remember my bleeding name, he said 'Charlie, life is like a double-decker bus. It's red, it's got an upstairs and a downstairs. Sometimes there's a conductor, but these days usually just a driver.' And yes, you've guessed it - he's still alive, the twat! I mean if you're mean, if you're selfish, if you've got no bleeding talent you can do what you like forever. But if you're the least bit good, if you're the least bit talented then...... No. It's alright. I'm shite!
Kelvin Mackenzie.

Alive.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Percy Sledge also dead.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... t-11223409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three Greater Manchester Marathons declared TOO SHORT after measurement error

In the days before "chip timing" I somehow managed to get lost,found some runners to follow and missed about three miles,it still wasn't my fastest time.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

And anyone doubting that Prince was a true great. Remember he wrote this
[youtube]ZCiHsIfrOg[/youtube]
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Percy Sledge also dead.
Percy Sledge died last year.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry
Name the 'B' side song on that 45 vinyl single release

http://www.songlyrics.com/prince/17-days-lyrics/
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Guardian view on forced academisation: time to stop and think
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

[quote="PaulfromYorkshire"]And anyone doubting that Prince was a true great. Remember he wrote this
[youtube]ZCiHsIfrOg[/youtube][/quote

Still cheesed off that Britain gave him just one no.1 as a performer (and, as with Stevie Wonder, when it finally came it was hardly his greatest or most representative). He had two more as a writer, of course.

Westlife had 14 UK no.1s and Robson and Jerome three.

I'll leave you with that thought. Suits my mood. There is no justice.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tim Farron ‏@timfarron 22m22 minutes ago
This is an utter betrayal of #Cornwall and it's culture. The @libdems will fight this decision tooth and nail.

Cornish language funding stopped by government

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36104716" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ah, a heartlands/core vote campaign. Fair enough for the land of Penhaligan.

But dabbling with nationalism can bite you on the bum, whether it be SNP, PC or even MK.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016 ... y-over-500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Asylum and immigration court fees set to rise by over 500%
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, the DfE's week hasn't been a good one...and it's only Thursday (yes, I know).

Minister cancels leaked primary spelling test

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36108449
The schools minister has been forced to cancel a national spelling test for England's primary schools, after a teacher spotted it had already been published online as a practice paper.

Nick Gibb said this was a "clearly regrettable incident".

More than half a million seven-year-olds had been due to take the test next month, as part of their Sat tests.

Head teachers' leaders, who had called for the scrapping of the test, welcomed the decision.
:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.