Thursday 9th April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 9th April 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Allegra Stratton ‏@BBCAllegra 32m32 minutes ago
I think the Mili-brother attack was bit clunky, but don't think it has backfired. Tory sources happy people been talking one thing all day.
Sort of validates the dead cat theory.

Worked for you Allegra anyway, that's what counts eh.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Whoops!
Big questions for Boris over billion dollar property deal

http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-john ... lbert-dock
Is there anything new floating about on this? It's good to not let these things be forgotten, though. Short memories are relied upon.

Edited to add -

Lest we forget - I rather gave up on that in the end (the list was so long and kept growing.) Keep up the good work.
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 09 Apr, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Maria Eagle retweeted
Alastair Campbell ‏@campbellclaret 18m18 minutes ago
Memo AC to DC you need a big bold move to energize your dead campaign. How about a few head to head debates with @Ed_Miliband ? Go on Dave
Ooh he is awful ... but I like him.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

ComRes for the Daily Wail is out at 10pm.

Some "interesting moves" according to that Chappers bloke.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Is there any chance Ms Sturgeon could make herself look a bit more smug?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:ComRes for the Daily Wail is out at 10pm.

Some "interesting moves" according to that Chappers bloke.
He makes it sound like a dad dancing display ... I do hope it's a further smack in the whatsits for Cameron, Fallon and all the others 'ons' in their nasty party.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 6m 6 minutes ago
Prof John Curtice reckons that LAB could win majority with 5% GB vote lead even with current Scots problems. Latest polls in that territory
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robin Brant retweeted
Patricia Culligan ‏@CulliganPA Apr 7
2nd LibDem candidate reveals he deliberately became HIV positive yet free NHS care v costly http://dailym.ai/1aHsbhb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Patricia Culligan is the UKIP candidate for Eastleigh. Another gem for them.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

edited in case my message, in itself, breached football magic rules
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Thu 09 Apr, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 15 mins15 minutes ago
Mike Smithson retweeted James Chapman (Mail)
Telephone poll from ComRes for Mail due at 10pm. Last time it had CON 4% ahead.
Mike Smithson added,

James Chapman (Mail) @jameschappers
Some interesting moves in our @ComResPolls latest telephone survey, out at 10pm

Rob ‏@MrMirth 3 mins3 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB @Mandi_Tinker
Is this the next stage in Tory desperation. A sudden surge in Tory poll lead? I wouldn't put it past them.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I think the Mili-brother attack was bit clunky, but don't think it has backfired. Tory sources happy people been talking one thing all day.

Talking about Allegra, the young woman she humiliated on Newsnight is sitting 10 feet away from me in the pub right now. Spoke to her before, she was very nice but prefers to forget all that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick · 6h 6 hours ago
Portsmth Lib Dem leader G Vernon-Jackson withdraws signed loyalty oath from council cands after Mike Hancock's wife declares loyalty to GVJ

Portsmouth S Lib Dem cand Gerald Vernon-Jackson tells me Jacqui Hancock supports him, not her husband Mike Hancock, who's standing as Indy
:?: Over to you PF for a sensible explanation - if that's possible with Portsmouth shenanigans.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image
That CONFIDENTIAL status working well then. They sure know how to show their best selves ...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Portsmth Lib Dem leader G Vernon-Jackson withdraws signed loyalty oath from council cands after Mike Hancock's wife declares loyalty to GVJ

Portsmouth S Lib Dem cand Gerald Vernon-Jackson tells me Jacqui Hancock supports him, not her husband Mike Hancock, who's standing as Indy
:?: Over to you PF for a sensible explanation - if that's possible with Portsmouth shenanigans.
Well, I really don't know. Mind you if you were married to Mike Hancock . . . . .

Two things occur to me, though -

Jacqui Hancock is pleasant enough but she's not exactly, um, how can I put this?

Gerald Vernon-Jackson is a slimy so-and-so and not above twisting the facts.

Does that help? No, thought not.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 57s57 seconds ago
Mail tell us to forget the polls follow the betting. An indication of tonight's ComRes Mail survey?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Labour accuses Tories of using public money to boost election campaign
Party says data collected from six government departments shows spending on adverts promoting Conservative policies has risen sharply since autumn

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-campaign
We were on about this the other week. Another first for FTN.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Well, I really don't know. Mind you if you were married to Mike Hancock . . . . .

Jacqui Hancock is pleasant enough but she's not exactly, um, how can I put this?

No - but thank you for trying - I appreciate the combination of Lib Dems and Portsmouth is beyond comprehension. My starter question would be what the heck is the 'signed loyalty oath from council cands' - and who or what is GVJ withdrawing it from? Easy there with the answers. No smut.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:That CONFIDENTIAL status working well then. They sure know how to show their best selves ...
I'm not sure that's real. If it is though... :popcorn:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Sorry for the multiple posts Dan. When I tried to post it wouldn't load so I'd log off then try again. As you can see I tried a lot of times...
No problem. Looks like a massive spike in CPU usage around that time. Trying to find out why.

Apologies for the inconvenience everyone.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Image

The Tories are using the NHS in Wales as a political football.... :fire:

Have been out all day, just catching up and some encouraging posts here about poll results.
BBC Radio 4 news headlines at 6.30 drummed out the Ed back stabber phrase again.

& some of you may be relieved to hear that I came home with a book on developing critical thinking skills. It may take me some time...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:

http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-john ... lbert-dock
Is there anything new floating about on this? It's good to not let these things be forgotten, though. Short memories are relied upon.

Edited to add -

Lest we forget - I rather gave up on that in the end (the list was so long and kept growing.) Keep up the good work.
I'm just going to have a dig around on Google, but it's all gone quiet, so I daresay that'll be the end of it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: :?: Over to you PF for a sensible explanation - if that's possible with Portsmouth shenanigans.

No - but thank you for trying - I appreciate the combination of Lib Dems and Portsmouth is beyond comprehension. My starter question would be what the heck is the 'signed loyalty oath from council cands' - and who or what is GVJ withdrawing it from? Easy there with the answers. No smut.

Try this link (below). You'll need to scroll down a fair old way to the 1pm entry. But it's still all a bit mystifying even when it's explained. But Mike Hancock comes across, as ever, as a real suave charmer. It's all rather strange.

http://news.channel4.com/election2015/04/09/

Edited to add - Of course, Jacqui Hancock sails under the LibDem flag which, presumably, makes things a bit sticky. Oh, sorry - you asked me specifically not to do that.
Last edited by PorFavor on Thu 09 Apr, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

James Mates on ITV news has said it was a tactical error & the whole conversation today has been about the personal attack. He said any election strategist says negative campaigning works but (verbatim quote)
to turn the campaign negative then to have it drive your own message from the headlines, well that wasn't terrible clever
:lol:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Is there any chance Ms Sturgeon could make herself look a bit more smug?
She learned at the feet of the master of smug! :lol:
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:
Party says data collected from six government departments shows spending on adverts promoting Conservative policies has risen sharply since autumn

We were onto this on page 1 of the Jan 3rd/4th thread. Months ago.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ITV news has done a piece on the pension changes & contacted various firms to find out what effect, if any, the new rules has made.

Phoenix Group (5m customers) report 65% of calls were from people inquiring about withdrawing their entire pension pot

Fidelity (1m customers) report 75% of calls were from people inquiring about withdrawing their entire pension pot

Hargreaves Lansdown (no number of customers given) said 31% called about taking a lump sum with 8% wanting to take it all out

Surely this wasn't what they anticipated when Webb & Osborne came up with this wheeze.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

frightful_oik wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

We were onto this on page 1 of the Jan 3rd/4th thread. Months ago.
Political geniuses, the lot of us!! ;)

Somebody who is definitely not a political genius is Glenda's little boy, who has chalked up today as a win for the Tories!! Roll on May 8th when Hampstead Village get their idiot back. :wall:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Edited to add -

I'm just going to have a dig around on Google, but it's all gone quiet, so I daresay that'll be the end of it.
Nov 2014
http://www.channel4.com/news/boris-john ... lbert-dock" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Key dates: start on site due mid 2015, first occupiers due to move in during 2017

http://www.royaldocks.london/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which directs you to very posh but short on information http://abp-london.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

July 2014
http://www.propertyweek.com/royal-alber ... 33.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doesn't look as if they've got it sorted yet.
Feb 2015.
http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/local-news/ ... s--8626785" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't find any other mention re Cricks article...And Google doesn't appear to be throwing up anything else that might shed light on it.
Probably as I suspected it'll be ignored and forgotten about.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

pk1 wrote:ITV news has done a piece on the pension changes & contacted various firms to find out what effect, if any, the new rules has made.

Phoenix Group (5m customers) report 65% of calls were from people inquiring about withdrawing their entire pension pot

Fidelity (1m customers) report 75% of calls were from people inquiring about withdrawing their entire pension pot

Hargreaves Lansdown (no number of customers given) said 31% called about taking a lump sum with 8% wanting to take it all out

Surely this wasn't what they anticipated when Webb & Osborne came up with this wheeze.
A lot of the people with Fidelity and Phoenix will be people with small pension pots from old company schemes. If people are withdrawing all of say a £10000 pot, that's not a problem, (but maybe we'll get a spending splurge). It's when people are withdrawing 100000+ there's a problem, although they'll get whacked for tax doing that. Many people have several pensions and you have to look at each one individually.
H-L will tend to be people with SIPPs or PPPs. If it's only people withdrawing small amounts it's not too much of a problem; but it'll be a while before we get any hard data on that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Well, I really don't know. Mind you if you were married to Mike Hancock . . . . .

Try this link (below). You'll need to scroll down a fair old way to the 1pm entry. But it's still all a bit mystifying even when it's explained. But Mike Hancock comes across, as ever, as a real suave charmer. It's all rather strange.

http://news.channel4.com/election2015/04/09/

Edited to add - Of course, Jacqui Hancock sails under the LibDem flag which, presumably, makes things a bit sticky. Oh, sorry - you asked me specifically not to do that.
:lol: That explanation is truly ridiculous - but then you knew that PF. So Hancock has given GVJ a right bollocking eh ... and Mrs Hancock knows where her loyalties lie.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Off topic, but .....

If anybody wants an alternative to QT etc tonight, may I humbly suggest listening to a radio programme that has just afforded me thirty minutes of sheer delight; "Great Lives" from 2003, with the much missed Linda Smith talking about the equally missed Ian Dury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0076j0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Have we had this one?

stephen jones ‏@bassmadman 8 mins8 minutes ago Breamore, England
Panelbase Opinion Poll (7th April - 9th April)

LAB - 37% (+4)
CON - 31% (-2)
UKIP - 16% (-1)
LDEM - 8% (+1)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Clive Myrie (BBC News24) being incredulous and exasperated in turn during his interview with a Ukip bloke re Trident. At the end he (CM) just said, "Jolly good," in a world-weary fashion. I like Clive Myrie (as I believe I've mentioned before). I find him fairly even-handed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Off topic, but .....

If anybody wants an alternative to QT etc tonight, may I humbly suggest listening to a radio programme that has just afforded me thirty minutes of sheer delight; "Great Lives" from 2003, with the much missed Linda Smith talking about the equally missed Ian Dury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0076j0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Check out ITV I think there's something on with Ed. Sounds as if might be okay. I Mentioned it earlier but didn't have a time.
I confess I did have a look on their website, but couldn't manage to find this evenings schedule...It's most confusing.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:

Check out ITV I think there's something on with Ed. Sounds as if might be okay. I Mentioned it earlier but didn't have a time.
I confess I did have a look on their website, but couldn't manage to find this evenings schedule...It's most confusing.
Here you go -

10:40pm
The Agenda
Season 7 Episode 2 of 10
Tom Bradby is joined by Labour leader Ed Miliband, actor Brian Cox, comedian Katy Brand and Newton Investment Management CEO Helena Morrissey for a look at key issues in the run-up to this year's General Election
Category General Social/Political Issues/Economics
(Subtitles)
http://my.tvguide.co.uk/channellisting. ... =&thisDay=

The above website is quite a good TV guide, I find.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I posted the TV programmes & times hours ago.

*bites tongue*
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:I posted the TV programmes & times hours ago.

*bites tongue*
I don't know, you try to be helpful . . . .

(Sorry - I'd forgotten that you'd done it. I blame ohsocynical . . . . )
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:

*bites tongue*

I blame Ed Miliband.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:

*bites tongue*

Sorry, wasn't moaning at you but it's awfully frustrating when a post is made, gets no response then along comes somebody else who makes the same point & draws a response out of the other users.

I might give this place a miss for a bit again, rather than getting draw into a pointless row.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:
Sorry, wasn't moaning at you but it's awfully frustrating when a post is made, gets no response then along comes somebody else who makes the same point & draws a response out of the other users.

I might give this place a miss for a bit again, rather than getting draw into a pointless row.
Hope you don't do that PK - but understand if you feel you need a break.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Here you go -

10:40pm
The Agenda
Season 7 Episode 2 of 10
Tom Bradby is joined by Labour leader Ed Miliband, actor Brian Cox, comedian Katy Brand and Newton Investment Management CEO Helena Morrissey for a look at key issues in the run-up to this year's General Election
Category General Social/Political Issues/Economics
(Subtitles)
http://my.tvguide.co.uk/channellisting. ... =&thisDay=

The above website is quite a good TV guide, I find.
That shows you how much I have to do with the TV... :oops:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

May2015 Election ‏@May2015NS 4 hrs4 hours ago

New YGov/Scotland poll tonight. We hear it's newsworthy... All recent polls have put SNP in mid-40s and Labour in high 20s: who's up/down?

It's so tantalising...Wonder if last nights debate made a difference?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote: I don't know, you try to be helpful . . . .

Please don't stay away pk1, that sort of thing happens to me all the time and I know how irritating it can be, but I'm sure it isn't meant badly. I enjoy your posts and would miss you.
Seconded.

I think people go to the last post and read upwards very often.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rearofthestore wrote:
Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 2m2 minutes ago

LAB takes 6% lead wth Panelbase LAB 37% (+4%), CON 31% (-2%), UKIP 16% (-1%), LD 8% (+1%), GRN 4% (-1%
5 retweets 1 favorite
I do hope this trend continues. What will NickyB make of it?
It'll be because people are still on holiday - that's his latest excuse.
Oh, so that's what a moving weighted average is then: planeloads of tourists and their luggage off on jolly hols – and you still can't get Watney's Red Barrel 'cause you're stuck on the runway...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
pk1 wrote: Sorry, wasn't moaning at you but it's awfully frustrating when a post is made, gets no response then along comes somebody else who makes the same point & draws a response out of the other users.

Please don't stay away pk1, that sort of thing happens to me all the time and I know how irritating it can be, but I'm sure it isn't meant badly. I enjoy your posts and would miss you.
Seconded.

I think people go to the last post and read upwards very often.
Thirded. I always read newspapers from the back or start with the sports section.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

*bites tongue*

I blame Ed Miliband.

Aha! So you're Dan Hodges! I claim my 10 shillings...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Here's the link to the Labour education manifesto...haven't read it yet.

http://www.labouremail.org.uk/files/upl ... 801cba.pdf

Toady's written an article for the Spectator about what Labour will do but don't bother reading it as it's junk.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Indeed. My latest headline:

Why Ohsocynical's unfamiliarity with current television schedules is bad news for Ed Miliband ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

So it looks like the email Tubby posted earlier was real (someone said they thought it might not be) ....
Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 50m50 minutes ago
READ: 'Desperate' Tory plot to organise own letter from doctors exposed in bombshell leaked email via @DailyMirror http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nh ... er-5488071" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …