Wednesday 17th February 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 17th February 2016

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/be ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Bedroom Tax is now costing victims £66 more than the DWP first predicted
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Toby said he would be out of circulation for a while and not able to be in contact, iirc because no technology for him, he also mentioned tangible physical issues that I have sympathy with, and relate to while knowing I am not anywhere as affected as he said he was. I would like my best wishes to be conveyed to him, whether or not I get to hear about how he is, though if I never heard anything I would always wonder, he is in my mandala whether I am forgetful or not, and I maintain that his daily acts of keeping us cheerful and not down hearted are a special kind of love, and very much missed. Toby, you are missed and cared for here, and when and if it is possible we will throw a party on your return. Hope you are feeling better and are being treated well. If not give 'em what for.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

OK folks.

I'll try to get a message to him over the next few days - just we are missing him and hoping he's home soon. "Style of thing"!

Thanks for the PMs.

Nighty night.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Following reports on social media that collection trolleys and boxes had disappeared from stores across Scotland, as well as in Hampshire, Lancashire, Norwich and Newcastle, the Guardian has established that Asda, which is owned by the US retail giant Walmart, has removed donation points from all of its UK stores.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... CMP=twt_gu
Are they selling wonky veg off cheaply as their alternative ....?
Apparently we don't deserve them here. I was quite looking forward to them, thought perhaps I'd draw them before consuming them! But really it was the lure of soup, which my son hates and I love.

Veg Deprived of Brum.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/ ... nings.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Elderly hospital patients given eviction warnings
Amid soaring levels of 'bedblocking' in the NHS, elderly hospital patients are being warned that they could face eviction if relatives cannot find a care home within three weeks

Analysis of official NHS figures by Health Service Journal shows the highest levels of bed-blocking are in Oxfordshire, with three times as many delays as the national average
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Every day on Twitter there are appeals for missing youngsters...I've been struck by the empty look in most of their eyes.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

I wonder how many calves it took to inscribe the Health and Social Care act, and its amendments etc.? And whether it is the longest piece of British legislation.

I honestly don't know where I stand on vellum, I love to look at old manuscript type things, but haven't had much opportunity to see anything but facsimiles. I deplore the use of young animals for this and am a very occasional consumer of meat with a strong bias against it, especially about overconsumption, but can't see all humans going veggy. If you watched the Chinese new Year festivitiy programmes you'll be forgiven for wondering whether there are still any fish left, let alone animals. The ice fishing section is a genuinely new thing for me, hadn't known of anything that efficient for lake fishing. But I digress. There are modern synthetic durable alternatives to vellum, that are not paper as we know it. Printable and archivable, and I am sad that they didn't make the change because really animals could do with the break, and we could do with ending our abuse of them. I'm not a purist on this but was converted by watching a film called Samsara, which documents the effect of our animal conumption not just on us but on the human workers who do the dirty stuff for us.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago

On who is to blame for the current spending cuts:

The current CON Gov: 30%
The last LAB Gov: 32%
Both: 29%
(via YouGov / 31 Jan - 02 Feb)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:Every day on Twitter there are appeals for missing youngsters...I've been struck by the empty look
in most of their eyes.
There is a programme on iPlayer about homeless youngsters, very worrying, such a hard life if they cannot couch surf or blag a floor space at a friends. The use of something called synthetic cannabis, which is anything but, judging by the footage, is widespread as it is easy and cheap to obtain. Loss Of hope, and bad drugs? There aren't anywhere near enough hostel places of course, and quite strict terms to get in. Very worrying, and was distressing for me, as I lost touch with one of mine, for several years and know nothing of what happened then, except what I saw when we did get back together. And in fact I heard exactly the same words as one of the youngsters on the programme used. Worse by far than I had imagined. Though I knew a bit from the homeless people who camped out from October till March with our small and only rarely ever mentioned occupy camp. There are some incredibly good people out there working to try and help things, but an ever growing need. I'll give a plug for one here in Brum, Sifa Fireside.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

ohsocynical wrote:Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago

Incredible! Nearly six years 'in power' and presumably large swathes still think the global crash was the personal work of Gordon, who is actually the one who prevented the meltdown it could have been. And I guess Ed and Ed authored the cuts too! And Dave had nothing to do with any of it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Having now read the G story re the Asda removal of food bank and other charity collection points ... all I can say is Fuck Asda.

I hope it backfires bigtime on them.
Working on the wild side.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Well, well. Credit where it's due Laura.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-e ... m-35599680" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

seeingclearly wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 8h8 hours ago

Incredible! Nearly six years 'in power' and presumably large swathes still think the global crash was the personal work of Gordon, who is actually the one who prevented the meltdown it could have been. And I guess Ed and Ed authored the cuts too! And Dave had nothing to do with any of it.
Hmm that 32% is pretty much the Tory vote share and I guess they would say that. What needs to shift I guess is the "both" response. Folk who feel that the political establishment has completely failed them. Which in many ways it has.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Blimey. Tim Montgomerie has - according to Newsnight - announced he's leaving the Conservative party. Not quite sure what the tipping point is meant to be but probably linked to the EU stuff.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tim Montgomerie resigns from the Tories!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

snap snap
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ah - hadn't seen your post first Roger. Thanks for that. Still blimey.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Tories don't really need members or councillors or MEPs. Mayor of London would be useful, but it's mainly media and MPs for them.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Incidentally, I notice from the twitter that there was a conference today about no platforming at universities.

It wasn't until just now that I saw that it had been organised by Spiked - hardly a surprise...but...being a bunch of libertarians their position is quite clear.

We must have the freedom to hate

http://www.spiked-online.com/newsite/ar ... sT417R4amV
The behaviour of these campus censors speaks to one of the key problems with measures against hate speech: the way they rebrand certain people’s genuinely held beliefs as ‘hatred’ that must be stamped out. The student union at Derby severely restricts the rights of Abort67, a pro-life organisation, on the basis that it’s a ‘hate group’. Anti-Islamist speakers have been banned from campuses on the grounds that they ‘could incite hatred’, presumably of Islamists. Islamists themselves have faced student censorship because, in the words of one LGBT society, they ‘preach hate’. Students have sought to ban feminists who don’t believe transsexuals are real women, claiming they could ‘incite hatred’ against trans people.
Well, yes, yes they do.

Are they really saying that there should be no limits on people like that being give a platform? Not sure people whom seem enthusiastic about this would agree totally with that.

Elsewhere...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... lub-claims" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In explaining his decision to resign, Chalmers wrote on Facebook: “A large proportion of both OULC and the student left in Oxford more generally have some kind of problem with Jews. The decision of the club to endorse a movement with a history of targeting and harassing Jewish students and inviting antisemitic speakers to campuses, despite the concerns of Jewish students, illustrates how uneven and insincere much of the active membership is when it comes to liberation.”
So presumably Spiked will tell them that they shouldn't be allowed to have concerns and it's entirely fine to have anti-semitic views being aired.

Somehow I doubt it...there's a middle ground between no platforming and the Spiked "anything goes" but the two sides are shouting past each other at the moment.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Spiked can pay for the policing when somebody invites Geert Wilders along so he can "put his case".
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bo ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boy with no arms and legs told he must prove he is disabled to keep his benefits
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Perverse incentive to get money for needless face to face assessments kerching
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Ha ha. How bad is the second of these.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbcyK3QXIAECW_6.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth clicking on the link, honestly.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If it sounds like it makes no difference at all, then you're right.

And even more hilariously, they already passed a bit of law that made the same (non) point in 2011.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Nice Scoop of the Year award from Chris Cook/Newsnight on the closure of Kids Company.

A very good journalist indeed.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... nstitution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here come the Proper Left.

Complete with the silly Greece argument.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Full list of awards:-

https://rts.org.uk/award/television-jou ... wards-2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"undeterred by the involvement of one of their organisation's own executives.”
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ha ha. How bad is the second of these.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbcyK3QXIAECW_6.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which roughly translates as "We can go back on our word any time we want, but you can't. Thrrrrrrpppppppp!!"
The truth ferret speaks!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

mbc1955 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ha ha. How bad is the second of these.

Which roughly translates as "We can go back on our word any time we want, but you can't. Thrrrrrrpppppppp!!"
Upon which, the others point out we can't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Guardian on Tim M.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ance-on-eu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... t-brussels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David Cameron set for a battle of brinkmanship at EU summit
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Private Eye has highest circulation figures for 30 years.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

HindleA wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/bo ... ar_twitter
Boy with no arms and legs told he must prove he is disabled to keep his benefits
How dare they have policies that do that to people living with such a level of disablement. Not in my name and not in the name of anyone I know. What kind of people don't understand quadruple amputee and meningitis? Simply appalled at this.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I may repeat this in today's thread but Stephen Sackur is speaking to Krzysztof Szczerski, the foreign policy advisor to the Polish President on HARDtalk just hours before the talks in Europe. Here's hoping there are far more Citizens of the World than Ashcroft suggests. Commiserations to our very own гражданка btw. As i say, let us hope that he is mistaken.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/f ... t-brussels
David Cameron set for a battle of brinkmanship at EU summit
From the above...
If he wins, his supporters will say he deserves a place among the list of transformational prime ministers after securing Scotland’s place in the UK in one referendum and settling Britain’s membership of the EU in another.
Delusional I'd say.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.