Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 23 and Sunday 24 July 2016

Post by HindleA »

I have the attitude and personality of an average ten year old,look slightly older I admit.When those that have more responsibilties than not spilling your tea on your privates and remembering to.breath occasionally look to be acting with less maturity,it is a bit worrying sometimes when I think about it in between getting to level 130 on Simpson's Tapped Out,looking for butterflies(found some)bees(found one)and making faces at yourself in the mirror.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:I have the attitude and personality of an average ten year old,look slightly older I admit.When those that have more responsibilties than not spilling your tea on your privates and remembering to.breath occasionally look to be acting with less maturity,it is a bit worrying sometimes when I think about it in between getting to level 130 on Simpson's Tapped Out,looking for butterflies(found some)bees(found one)and making faces at yourself in the mirror.

I've seen a few cabbage whites (unless they're swifts) - which seem to be avoiding the buddleia, for some reason. Nothing more colourful, butterfly-wise, though. No bees, either.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:All I'm going to say is poor old George Osborne found himself moved to a cubbyhole next to the photocopying room within days....
The Government Minister Removal Crew has been on stand-by for Immediate Mobilisation in the room next to the Chancellor's Office for at least five years now.
fedup59
Committee Member

Post by fedup59 »

Afternoon all

Oh for the halcyon days of the summer of 2014 when no Labour party MPS briefed against Ed and none of the papers made up stories about how useless he was because it was summer and he should be doing 'leading' stuff and managing the UK government and being strategic, and having policies and just being a leader who could win but obviously wasn't capable of that so he should just GO.

Or should we go back to 2009 and see that there were no Labour MPS who briefed against Gordon and said he was rubbish and couldn't win an election. There were no stories in the media saying that he was a bully, that he did too much detail and didn't understand how to actually, you know, lead and that he maybe was a bit weird and couldn't appeal to your normal, non Scottish electorate and he should just GO.

Just as an aside I would really like to live to see summer of 2017 and check if whoever is leading the Labour party can get away with just being there. Problem is without the media frenzy and the insider stories I might well reach a point of worrying if that meant there was a Labour party leader who I couldn't trust to fight the system we appear to be locked into.

Feels like an upside down kind of Britain to me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yeah cabbage whites,not going near buddleia,I spotted whilst on my daily round of waliking around the estate,or stepping outside as some people may call it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
HindleA wrote:I have the attitude and personality of an average ten year old,look slightly older I admit.When those that have more responsibilties than not spilling your tea on your privates and remembering to.breath occasionally look to be acting with less maturity,it is a bit worrying sometimes when I think about it in between getting to level 130 on Simpson's Tapped Out,looking for butterflies(found some)bees(found one)and making faces at yourself in the mirror.
I've seen a few cabbage whites (unless they're swifts) - which seem to be avoiding the buddleia, for some reason. Nothing more colourful, butterfly-wise, though. No bees, either.
Thank you both for this most important news. Without a habitable environment, no one votes, supports, joins, leaves, remains or breathes.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CoIENFTWAAA3NDY.jpg
CoIENFTWAAA3NDY.jpg (111.91 KiB) Viewed 4757 times
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:

Same here. No little hover flies either. The cat mint, marjoram and honeysuckle are virtually unvisited.
It may be because there's a lot of clover out in the fields, maybe they prefer that.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not sure I want to see too many cabbage whites, am growing cavolo nero for the first time.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

SpinningHugo wrote:
This MEN report is great

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parish council seat detail is comedy gold.

Not a cult though.
But the love for Corbyn was, in that auditorium, off the chart. The Labour member stood next to me said she had seen nothing like it since the early days of Blair - a man who, it was pointed out to me last week, in 1996 was causing women to pass out in hysteria when he was out and about, Beatles-style.
Hang on, so Corbyn is the new Blair?
Hugo, have you decided to change approach with some subtle reverse psychology?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

fedup59 wrote:Afternoon all

Oh for the halcyon days of the summer of 2014 when no Labour party MPS briefed against Ed and none of the papers made up stories about how useless he was because it was summer and he should be doing 'leading' stuff and managing the UK government and being strategic, and having policies and just being a leader who could win but obviously wasn't capable of that so he should just GO.

Or should we go back to 2009 and see that there were no Labour MPS who briefed against Gordon and said he was rubbish and couldn't win an election. There were no stories in the media saying that he was a bully, that he did too much detail and didn't understand how to actually, you know, lead and that he maybe was a bit weird and couldn't appeal to your normal, non Scottish electorate and he should just GO.

Just as an aside I would really like to live to see summer of 2017 and check if whoever is leading the Labour party can get away with just being there. Problem is without the media frenzy and the insider stories I might well reach a point of worrying if that meant there was a Labour party leader who I couldn't trust to fight the system we appear to be locked into.

Feels like an upside down kind of Britain to me.
Yes - habitual denigration of Labour leaders in media from Brown to the present time.
Not returning a Labour government in 2015 was a mistake.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Can see my suggestion we talk about guidelines using Corbyn's recommendation went down like a lead balloon, apart from Ephie's words.

I suppose Corbyn didn't actually mean people like 'us' just 'them'.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I've seen one cabbage white flitting past the window. One bumble bee the other day ditto.

I have a rockery plant. No idea what it's called. It attracted a load of bees but it was the only flower in the garden to do so, they ignored everything else.The hollyhocks are fantastic thanks to weather that's suited them. They usually attract plenty of bees, but so far, I haven't seen a single one.

It's definitely out of the ordinary this year.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Can see my suggestion we talk about guidelines using Corbyn's recommendation went down like a lead balloon, apart from Ephie's words.

I suppose Corbyn didn't actually mean people like 'us' just 'them'.
It's inevitable given the structure of political participation - competitive, not cooperative.
Choose. CHOOSE. CHOOSE! CHOOSE!
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

In case anyone is interested, here is a wonderful review by RobertSnoozers that had me gushing!!!! :rock:

https://airandseastories.com/2016/07/21 ... ahl-evans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Walker has some interesting info on teh 'vermin' t-shirt put around by the progress bods a few weeks ago. I am not up on graphic design so have no idea if its correct or not, but he is generally v reliable.

https://skwalker1964.wordpress.com/2016 ... shirt-pic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Temulkar wrote:In case anyone is interested, here is a wonderful review by RobertSnoozers that had me gushing!!!! :rock:

https://airandseastories.com/2016/07/21 ... ahl-evans/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Walker has some interesting info on teh 'vermin' t-shirt put around by the progress bods a few weeks ago. I am not up on graphic design so have no idea if its correct or not, but he is generally v reliable.

https://skwalker1964.wordpress.com/2016 ... shirt-pic/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Have you read Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson? I found the ebook on my computer and decided to read it after reading both yours and Robert's books. I seem to be getting the taste for historical fiction.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I've got Tem's book on Kindle,have just started to read it once I reach level.130 it will.receive my full attention.
Maeght
Committee Chair

Post by Maeght »

ohsocynical wrote:I've seen one cabbage white flitting past the window. One bumble bee the other day ditto.

I have a rockery plant. No idea what it's called. It attracted a load of bees but it was the only flower in the garden to do so, they ignored everything else.The hollyhocks are fantastic thanks to weather that's suited them. They usually attract plenty of bees, but so far, I haven't seen a single one.

It's definitely out of the ordinary this year.
I have now seen a few cabbage whites. I have had a lot of bees. They worked the foxgloves from morning to night until they were done. Now they are going for the cosmos and lavatera but not that much . Can't remember if they like phlox, which will be out soon.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Hitchins.

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/ ... -to-r.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

refitman wrote:
Temulkar wrote:In case anyone is interested, here is a wonderful review by RobertSnoozers that had me gushing!!!! :rock:

Have you read Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson? I found the ebook on my computer and decided to read it after reading both yours and Robert's books. I seem to be getting the taste for historical fiction.
I havent, but it looks like one I would like.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Temulkar wrote:
refitman wrote:

It's a big old book - 900+ pages. However it's a very easy read, I'm currently 2/3 of the way through and it's just flown by.

Reading the Wiki entry for it, it seems Stephenson did a lot of research before writing it and it shows.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

HindleA wrote:I've got Tem's book on Kindle,have just started to read it once I reach level.130 it will.receive my full attention.
YOu know I think I actually get more money from kindle editions and actually I like the kindle, but the print versionn of the book with the differnet fonts for POV changes etc I really love. It should have maps, which I said at the time, and my publisher has come around to that idea for book 2 if he publishes it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Temulkar wrote:
HindleA wrote:I've got Tem's book on Kindle,have just started to read it once I reach level.130 it will.receive my full attention.
YOu know I think I actually get more money from kindle editions and actually I like the kindle, but the print versionn of the book with the differnet fonts for POV changes etc I really love. It should have maps, which I said at the time, and my publisher has come around to that idea for book 2 if he publishes it.
I went for the 'real' version for Roundhead. While I'm quite happy to read on my phone when I'm at work, or out and about, I do prefer the physical item.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

refitman wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
refitman wrote: Have you read Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson? I found the ebook on my computer and decided to read it after reading both yours and Robert's books. I seem to be getting the taste for historical fiction.
It's a big old book - 900+ pages. However it's a very easy read, I'm currently 2/3 of the way through and it's just flown by.

Reading the Wiki entry for it, it seems Stephenson did a lot of research before writing it and it shows.
I think that's the key for good HF. Im not an early modernist, so probably did more research for TLR than I did for my MA. It's not as foccussed though, I was in a forum with Dr Andrew Hopper back in January and it wasnt until we started talking about The Wars of the Roses, that I was actually on comfortable ground as far as my knowledge base was concrened. Although I think being a medievalist moving forward is probably easier than a modernist moving back.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Nods in self delusion of knowing what cavolo nero is and the destructive properties of a butterfly.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Nods in self delusion of knowing what cavolo nero is and the destructive properties of a butterfly.

I have only one word to say to you - caterpillars.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Made me chuckle
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 14.04.13.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-24 at 14.04.13.png (48.25 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:Nods in self delusion of knowing what cavolo nero is and the destructive properties of a butterfly.
Italian black kale. Lovely stuff, not like the awful crispy English kale.
The Co-op sell it, without caterpillars.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Made me chuckle
I have an old metal bust of Lenin given to me by my A level group many years ago - We did the Russian Empire 1856-1956 - On the last day before their exams they turned up with a big bottle of Glenfiddach and the bust which they had found in a bric-a-brac shop. It brought a tear to my eye, I can tell you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
I have only one word to say to you - caterpillars.
I've four words for you both
'the centre cannot hold'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:
Chop & put the cavolo nero to boil
Slice an onion & some garlic & fry in butter
Drain the cavolo nero and dry, then add to onion & garlic.
Add 2tbl spoons of good balsamic vinegar & mix well tossing round the pan on high heat till well mixed. Turn the heat down and add a quarter pack of boursin garlic & herb cheese, stir until blended in.
Can be used on pasta as main course, or as a side dish. Either way - Yum!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks AAW. Does sound yummy. Will try that.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AngryAsWell wrote:
yahyah wrote:
Chop & put the cavolo nero to boil
Slice an onion & some garlic & fry in butter
Drain the cavolo nero and dry, then add to onion & garlic.
Add 2tbl spoons of good balsamic vinegar & mix well tossing round the pan on high heat till well mixed. Turn the heat down and add a quarter pack of boursin garlic & herb cheese, stir until blended in.
Can be used on pasta as main course, or as a side dish. Either way - Yum!
I've copied it over to the Recipes thread (in the Pub), so it doesn't get lost. viewtopic.php?p=121849#p121849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by refitman on Sun 24 Jul, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: put the Pub in the right place.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

tinybgoat wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
This MEN report is great

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The parish council seat detail is comedy gold.

Not a cult though.
But the love for Corbyn was, in that auditorium, off the chart. The Labour member stood next to me said she had seen nothing like it since the early days of Blair - a man who, it was pointed out to me last week, in 1996 was causing women to pass out in hysteria when he was out and about, Beatles-style.
Hang on, so Corbyn is the new Blair?
Hugo, have you decided to change approach with some subtle reverse psychology?
You do remember that all that adulation didn't in the end turn out all that well.

I am a Blairite, but I was as opposed to the Iraq war as anyone.

Hubris is what this adulation causes.

It really is no accident that Corbyn looks a lot happier now he is out campaigning with labour supporters. That is his comfort zone, not trying to lead MPs or converting middleground voters
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Westminster must see our economy is welded to a healthy steel industry

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/66858 ... 6ee30171ee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Harry Leslie Smith
‏@Harryslaststand

In the end each claim and counter claim of abuse in the #LabourLeadership race will be used against Labour by the Tories in the next GE.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Nessa Childers MEPVerified account
‏@NChildersMEP
@BBCNews @johnmcdonnellMP

Can I just say that in Ireland if you lose a seat or resign, the next day your stuff is out in the corridor.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

not Goy ‏@BankersDidIt 4h4 hours ago

Remember :
Seema Malhotra MP employs
Conor McGinn MPs wife as office staffer
Was it Ephie who said it's all rather incestuous?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If Malhotra were Nick Clegg she'd have been able to afford to get someone to shift her belongings.

Nick Clegg claimed £100,000 in extra expenses....
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ni ... ra-8484055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Happiness is the arrival of a big bucket KFC and 140grammes of tobacco

Well it is to me.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

HindleA wrote:Happiness is the arrival of a big bucket KFC and 140grammes of tobacco

Well it is to me.
Mmmmm....chicken.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@HindleA

Very clever strap-line!
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not in the same container.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Glad you got it.It just came into my head.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Ben Goldacre on Corbyn's exciting plans for Big Pharma

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tobacco levels back to normal.Then the chickens get it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

They smoke too ?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wor ... 53256.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The rise of populist movements, and the growth of nationalism and xenophobia in many countries, reflects this dissatisfaction. Brexit is symptomatic of these pressures.
Examining the Great Depression, historians found that the destruction of the middle classes was crucial to the rise of fascism, communism and militarism. Disaffected ordinary people who had lost their jobs, savings and hope turned to populist demagogues for salvation.

Politicians and policy makers in advanced economies must be careful not to repeat this history.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Home Office is sending in the UK Border Force after the government said motorists had suffered “extraordinary disruption”
on Saturday that forced some motorists to spend the night in their cars in huge tailbacks.

Motorists trapped in the queues for most of Saturday complained of lack of information about when the disruption might end.

“We didn’t get any water until 3am and I saw women with babies, young families and people with pets with no water.
It’s shocking that more wasn’t done to get it to people. The authorities weren’t anywhere to be seen.”

Port of Dover authorities claimed French border control booths at Dover had been “seriously understaffed” overnight.
It claimed at one point coaches were forced to wait 40 minutes so that all passengers could be checked in as only
one French official was available.

- Dover delays force UK Home Office to send in reinforcements
There's no reasonable excuse for either the UK or France having understaffed security departments.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... forcements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 24 Jul, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/wor ... 53256.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The rise of populist movements, and the growth of nationalism and xenophobia in many countries, reflects this dissatisfaction. Brexit is symptomatic of these pressures.
Examining the Great Depression, historians found that the destruction of the middle classes was crucial to the rise of fascism, communism and militarism. Disaffected ordinary people who had lost their jobs, savings and hope turned to populist demagogues for salvation.

Politicians and policy makers in advanced economies must be careful not to repeat this history.
Apparently, the UK and French advanced economies can't manage to properly staff border security personnel
during a hot holiday weekend leaving people to dehydrate and sleep in their vehicle trapped on a motorway.

I'm dubious politicians and policy makers have bothered reading and comprehending historical records,
let alone using that knowledge preventing the rise of insurgents.