Friday 5th August 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Re: Friday 5th August 2016

Post by howsillyofme1 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analy ... s-to-close

Government cuts to supported housing could force services to close

As I said before all the 'Lead' measures suggest there are going to be some very difficult times ahead. The media and Government seems to be in a complete denial of the situation and there is little indication anyone is doing much

Carney has shot all his bolts pretty much and now we await the fiscal attempts......

Anyone who still thinks the Tories are competent...economically or otherwise....needs to have a good talk to themselves
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Longest Run: Olympics about more than winning for Refugee team
For the Refugee Olympic team, the Rio Games will not be about winning medals. They will be about earning dignity and changing hearts and minds.

Perhaps this is what the Olympics try to achieve?

http://www.si.com/olympics/2016/07/25/o ... fugee-team" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good job I wasn't drinking something when I read this...

:D
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Express
BREXIT BOOST: Britain WILL NOT fall into recession after ditching EU, think tank reveals
(but 82% of their readers disagree in the poll at the end...)

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/696012 ... heresa-May" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Good job I wasn't drinking something when I read this...

:D

Don't hold back Danny!

He is right about Minford though....Thatcher loved him (because he agreed with her) but he is pretty much a fringe character nowadays. It is a pity the media haven't yet realised this
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Of the two options of (i) repealing FTPA and (ii) no confidence vote, Rentoul tells me that it is the latter, to which I call bollocks - the idea that the govt would call a vote of no confidence against itself is ludicrous.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36984039" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pressure intensifies on squeezed NHS
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... eakthrough" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Five days of rail strikes to go ahead as Southern talks break down
Acrimony on both sides as union claims government blocked agreement and rail company maintains it needs to modernise
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ls-and-las" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Guidance
School census 2016 to 2017: guide for schools and LAs
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

HindleA wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36984039

Pressure intensifies on squeezed NHS
Nuffield's conclusion is that curbing the growth in demand for services will be required, which will be a big ask for local health commissioners.
The bleak alternatives, according to the think tank, will be extending waiting times, narrowing the range of patients eligible for treatment or cuts to services.
The alternative of increasing funding is out of the question, of course.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David Schneider ‏@davidschneider 13m13 minutes ago
Taxpayers. Seeing as we own most of RBS and it's lost £2bn, I suggest we all send it a letter charging it £25 each for going into overdraft.

:lol!:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Friday 12th August for our nomination meeting,representatives from both candidates have been invited,chaired by vice chair CLP.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ls-and-las

Guidance
School census 2016 to 2017: guide for schools and LAs
163 pages??

Census is a nightmare - so much funding depends on getting bums on seats for one day in the year. If kids a re sick - tough, the school doesn't get any funding for them for the year. IIRC nursery is done on a termly basis which seems much fairer.

I'd prefer it if it were done on what the school standard numbers (30 pupils x 3 classes x 7 years) are rather than what they might happen to be on one day.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Slightly similar thing when I worked in the community for LA.and funding calculated on how many people/how many hours/what tasks etc over a week I think.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Our LA senior school (and the feeder primary) both have very large, extensive playing fields That they will be forced to become academies & the play areas (eventually) sold is a big local fear particularly as any building land has a premium price tag round here. As lots of it is green belt or agricultural getting hands on several acres of playground would be a big bonus so whoever wins Labour leader I hope they adopt this idea.

Owen Smith wants ban on selling school playing fields and accuses Tories of 'squandering Olympic legacy'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ow ... ng-8571753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And/or check of funding as per records.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

RobertSnozers wrote: As with most of the services, true in 1939, but by 1942-3, the makeup had changed dramatically. Sergeant Pilots commanding 'heavies' and crews made up of people from every walk of life and hailing from every part of the Empire. It was a lot more efficient, too. (Interestingly, the Royal Navy was historically a bit more meritocratic than the other forces and this was true of the Air Arms at the beginning of the war as well - there were a sprinkling of Petty Officer pilots and even some Petty Officer flight leaders technically in charge of commissioned officers).
True enough that the initial problems were overcome. There's the whole matter of whether the night bombing of cities really achieved much in the way of defeating Germany of course, but that's a different can of worms.

As for the navy, unlike the army it was never possible to purchase a commision no matter who you were. A naval officer who can't do navigation calculations or work out how much water the crew need being less than useful. Ditto the maths-using Royal Engineers and artillery.
RobertSnozers wrote: Churchill made great demands on Bomber Command during the war, and his failure to recognise the crews with their own medal was cowardly, IMO.
I agree, and do wonder if it was a spiteful side-effect of both Churchill and Harris being obstinate characters who were increasingly at odds with each other. If Churchill's concern was about the ethical issues of the campaign then he should have been honest and pointed out that in a war with the likes of the Nazis you fight how you can with what you have, not how you might wish to in an alternative universe. Between 1940 and 1944 the only way the UK had to attack Germany directly was by bombing, so bombing it was.

The other side of that coin being people like a couple of, now deceased, German friends of my parents who ended the war in the rubble of Dresden as teenage refugees. A situation for which they unequivocally blamed Hitler and those round him, not Churchill, Rooseveldt, Harris or Stalin.
RobertSnozers wrote: I've heard it said that politics in the 50s and 60s was dominated by people who had done military service in the war and had experience of working with people from every social class, and now we've lost that generation, political life is reverting to something more stratified.
I've heard that, and I suspect there might be some truth in it. Though the First World War placed lots of men in the same sort of situation it didn't have the same effect, or at least nothing like as much. I wonder if a combination of the social consequences of 1914-18 followed by the depression decade combined to mean there was no chance of "back to business as usual" in 1945. The Second World War generation learning from their parent's experience and making sure there would be major changes. That war was a political war as well, in a way 1014-18 wasn't
I'm getting tired of calming down....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just crap,nothing contentious.Some are contained in replies.They didn't add anything,interferred with other discussions and were annoying me so I zapped them.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Image

Of the two options of (i) repealing FTPA and (ii) no confidence vote, Rentoul tells me that it is the latter, to which I call bollocks - the idea that the govt would call a vote of no confidence against itself is ludicrous.
If they try to have an election before they have a very clear settled idea of what shape our leaving of the EU is actually going to take the Tories are going to struggle to take a lot of their own parliamentary party with them, including a good chunk of the cabinet. There is also a good chance that they would, by the current look of things, be going to the country as GDP figures confirmed a recession. It seems very very unlikely.

Also Rentoul said it so it must obviously be wrong.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:...They didn't add anything,interferred with other discussions and were annoying me so I zapped them.
Would you like to come along in September and deal with some of my students?
I still believe in a town called Hope
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

AngryAsWell wrote: Not sure if this is a direct quot from Hastings or your own thoughts. Either way I take exception to it.
My FiL was a bomber command navigator and I can assure you he is no public schoolboy, neither was his pilot or crew. Or the other crews he flew along side, many of whom did not make the return flight.
He still has his flight log that details every mission he flew. The bombs they dropped more often hit the targets they were aimed at than not, a sad but true fact. The only time forests or open ground got hit was if a crew had to ditch its load for some reason (often having been hit and already going down) then their standing orders were to dropped them over open ground if possible to avoid civilian casualties.

Whoever, yourself or Hastings, who wrote that diatribe against the brave men who - unlike other service personal - got no recognition for their war effort & losses (till very recently) does them a great disservice & insults their memory.
It's essentially Hasting's viewpoint. But having seen what class and school-induced arrogance can achieve when unchallenged I find it hard to disagree with his central point. That what the supposed best of British educated upper-class brains and talent had produced was found not remotely fit for service until it had been completely overhauled, reorganised and re-equipped.

No-one is doubting anyone's courage. No more than that of the junior officers of a similar background in 1914-16. They were very brave men who died in disproportionate numbers. Which does not alter the fact that they were ill-prepared for a European war despite the BEF being the only army in 1914 other than the Russians that had experience of modern warfare and what the weaponry could do. Despite that experience, what was in many ways the best professional army in the world at the time was pretty much wiped out in 1914-5 at appalling cost.

Or the crews of Beattie's battlecruisers whose ability and courage didn't prevent their ships exploding. As Beattie himself said at Jutland "there's something wrong with our bloody ships today... And our bloody methods."

Bravery alone does not win wars, be they real fighting ones or of a class nature. Without good leadership, good tools and a good strategy, bravery alone is very rarely enough. And over-confident, under-capable leadership can easily lead to disaster. Yet in Britain, giving the top posts to those who went to the right school and have the right background all too often results in exactly that.

And I wholeheartedly agree that Churchill treated the bomber crews very badly indeed. As I say in a reply to rsnozers, I suspect he spitefully took hismopinion of Harris out on the lower ranks.
TR'sGhost
Minister of State

Post by TR'sGhost »

RobertSnozers wrote:By the way, I thought FTNers might be interested in my photos of the antifascist demo in Southampton a couple of months ago. One of the few things to have made me feel a bit better about the state of humanity recently

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135004112 ... 1202202951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Camera - 1958 Kiev 3A rangefinder (licence built Soviet version of Zeiss Contax III)
Lens - 50mm Jupiter 8 (licence built Soviet version of Zeiss Sonnar 50mm)
Film - out of date Fuji Superia 200

This was my first attempt at street photography of any kind. I had heard that the 50mm lens was THE lens for street photography but I found myself wanting something wider, and as you can see, I cut off a lot of the tops of signs and banners, and the odd person's head. Lucky the police and medics were there
Traditionally a 35mm is the one to go for. Having said that, I find a 24-74ish (or digital equivalent) zoom pretty good because it covers most of what's needed. Preferably in a good but inconspicuous compact camera. And take some care, some parents get very twitchy if they see a camera, especially if it looks like a good camera. Though they and everyone else ignores all the people with mobile phones, so maybe an iPhone with it's not too bad 28mm lens is the way to go....

I used to do the darkroom thing, but my enlarger went into storage a couple of years ago and I doubt it's coming back. I usually use a micro4/3 mirrorless setup for landscape and stuff where the mere sight of a camera is unlikely to cause a dusturbance, and that plus Adobe Lightroom can do everything a wet chemistry setup can and much more. No more hands smelling of fixer for days afterwards either.

Though I still have a hankering for Ilford Delta 400 developed in Rodinal.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

tinybgoat wrote:
fedup59 wrote:Evening all

Straight question - did anybody, at any time before the EU ref, suggest that the vote could be ignored?
Will have to try and find something to back this up,
but from memory, yes - although maybe it was more, get round by interpretation/manipulation than just ignore.
Think it was these I was remembering:-

http://blogs.ft.com/david-allen-green/2 ... or-brexit/

http://uk.businessinsider.com/green-eu- ... xit-2016-6

http://uk.businessinsider.com/eu-refere ... xit-2016-6

http://uk.businessinsider.com/report-pr ... ket-2016-6

edit:

also

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... appen-next

And Cummings, Boris & presumably Goves early views :-

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... s-to-leave
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

TR'sGhost wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Not sure if this is a direct quot from Hastings or your own thoughts. Either way I take exception to it.
My FiL was a bomber command navigator and I can assure you he is no public schoolboy, neither was his pilot or crew. Or the other crews he flew along side, many of whom did not make the return flight.
He still has his flight log that details every mission he flew. The bombs they dropped more often hit the targets they were aimed at than not, a sad but true fact. The only time forests or open ground got hit was if a crew had to ditch its load for some reason (often having been hit and already going down) then their standing orders were to dropped them over open ground if possible to avoid civilian casualties.

Whoever, yourself or Hastings, who wrote that diatribe against the brave men who - unlike other service personal - got no recognition for their war effort & losses (till very recently) does them a great disservice & insults their memory.
It's essentially Hasting's viewpoint. But having seen what class and school-induced arrogance can achieve when unchallenged I find it hard to disagree with his central point. That what the supposed best of British educated upper-class brains and talent had produced was found not remotely fit for service until it had been completely overhauled, reorganised and re-equipped.

No-one is doubting anyone's courage. No more than that of the junior officers of a similar background in 1914-16. They were very brave men who died in disproportionate numbers. Which does not alter the fact that they were ill-prepared for a European war despite the BEF being the only army in 1914 other than the Russians that had experience of modern warfare and what the weaponry could do. Despite that experience, what was in many ways the best professional army in the world at the time was pretty much wiped out in 1914-5 at appalling cost.

Or the crews of Beattie's battlecruisers whose ability and courage didn't prevent their ships exploding. As Beattie himself said at Jutland "there's something wrong with our bloody ships today... And our bloody methods."

Bravery alone does not win wars, be they real fighting ones or of a class nature. Without good leadership, good tools and a good strategy, bravery alone is very rarely enough. And over-confident, under-capable leadership can easily lead to disaster. Yet in Britain, giving the top posts to those who went to the right school and have the right background all too often results in exactly that.

And I wholeheartedly agree that Churchill treated the bomber crews very badly indeed. As I say in a reply to rsnozers, I suspect he spitefully took hismopinion of Harris out on the lower ranks.
To be honest I wouldnt trust a word Max Hastings says, he is frightfully biased in his approach. However:

The BEF in 1914 was the most proffessional army in the field, the ability to rapid fire persuaded the Germans on more than one occassion that they faced machine gun units. At Mons they halted the German advance in its tracks and only had to fall back as the southern flank collapsed, and they were still able to march and turn and fight at the Marne to finally halt the invasion of France. The experience in the Boer War was well understood, but actually useless by 1915. For example, the Boer War experience had taught that shrapnel shells were the most efficient artillery killer, so they loaded up with shrapnel. In the trench warfare after the race to the coast, shrapnel was useless, and it was HE that became the big killer. There simply wasn't enough of the BEF ( 70,000) when faced with the whole of the German 1st Army coming ovver the hill (Kluck had nearly 400k men available, although only used half that)

Similarly the ships exploding at Jutland was because of age old Royal Navy docctrine rather than public school arrogance - rate of fire - that meant safety was compromised in favour of speed. They left the blast doors open to the armoury and bang the ships went up. The navy probably did win the war though, it wasnt won in the trenches but in the Atlantic and by blockading Germany. And Beatty was a hideous social climber who falsified reports on Jutland to exonerate himself whilst smearing the more aristocratic Jellicoe, so...

I would say - all things considered - that the standard of leadership in the british military historically has been of a much higher quality than most other nations since Cromwell. We rarely lose a war, in fact we havent lost a major one for over two hundred years (Boers put up a bit of a fight though). In the three global conflagrations we have had so far, we won all three - twice standing alone when the rest of Europe had caved in to a tyrant. An we only lost to the yanks in 1783 because we prioritised keeping the carribean over the 13 colonies, and had to deal with the fighting the rest of Europe as well - although point that out to an american and they get apoplexy, they also hate it when you point out we won the 1812 war and burned their capital to the ground. Although that was my ex's husband I said that to, so maybe not representative of all americans, but then again Trump, so...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36983821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bear family visits Lake Tahoe beach in California
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-36969103" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Men may have evolved better 'making up' skills