Wednesday 7th December 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 7th December 2016

Post by HindleA »

Apologies to toads.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Temulkar wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:THOFTN

Still on day 3 – and I realise I’m going to have to move quicker than a day a day or, er …
TemulkartheCalm noted (and I paraphrase rather than actually lie) that of all the places he has ever lived or visited, only the English are racist. TechnicalEphemera disagreed, as would I have done had I located the site yet by this point (but don’t worry about me I was fine, sniff), while RoT showed off about football.
FACT 1: TechnicalEphemera could be a right pain in the arse. It was great.
FACT 2: I once met Ian Dury (see RR2 on South Thanet and the man himself http://www.flythenest.org/viewtopic.php ... t=100#p363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
I believe I said only in England have I encountered abuse because of my nationality.
You are lucky.
I've experienced it in Wales & Scotland
Never in Ireland or with Irish friends though, odd that, as they have a more recent history of hostility with the wicked English than either Wales or Scotland (unless my history is missing again)
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

HindleA wrote:Particular place,incident? Out of interest.I was warned of anti-English sentiment as a child(Dad Scottish,but English accent)and didn't get any at all,more interest due to abroad (when it wasn't that common)experiences.
In the workplace, by teachers who should have known better. My ex was also bullied in the workplace for speaking welsh to her mum on the phone, and left the job and company - mobile at lunchtime as well. She was told that the welsh were not a race and thereforee it wasnt racism by mgmt there. Thats just some of the 'banter' welsh people put up with all the time. Speaking welsh seems to particularly offend some English people - I've had shit for that on the train from Waterloo on a number of occassions by white strangers upset at me using welsh on the phone or with friends.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:THOFTN

Still on day 3 – and I realise I’m going to have to move quicker than a day a day or, er …
TemulkartheCalm noted (and I paraphrase rather than actually lie) that of all the places he has ever lived or visited, only the English are racist. TechnicalEphemera disagreed, as would I have done had I located the site yet by this point (but don’t worry about me I was fine, sniff), while RoT showed off about football.
FACT 1: TechnicalEphemera could be a right pain in the arse. It was great.
FACT 2: I once met Ian Dury (see RR2 on South Thanet and the man himself http://www.flythenest.org/viewtopic.php ... t=100#p363" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
I believe I said only in England have I encountered abuse because of my nationality.
You are lucky.
I've experienced it in Wales & Scotland
Never in Ireland or with Irish friends though, odd that, as they have a more recent history of hostility with the wicked English than either Wales or Scotland (unless my history is missing again)
Given that racism is about a power relationship, is it racism you encountered or bigotry? Im a white male, I understand my privilige in that respect, but the welsh, irish and scots have been treated like second class citizens of the UK for most of the last 300 years, and before that, well, penal laws, famines deliberatly inflicted, language curtailed etc etc etc. Outside of war and invasion ( which are obviously going to case deaths) how many of the celtic fringe have dies/been killed by policies dreamed up by English politicians and generals? God alone knows.

Other than a rugby match, I dont think Ive ever seen any bigotry thrown at the English in Wales - thats not to say it doesnt happen and holiday home owners in the 70s had it bad - but we still get apocryphal tales of people speaking welsh as soon as an Englishman walks into a pub etc, I tend to just laugh these days at the ignorance of it all, but its still insidious.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

One example was a very right on left wing labour member, union rep, who thought his 'banter' was funny. He was in a mixed race marraige and it took his wife to tell him what he was doing was blatantly racist before the penny dropped and he apologised.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Then there was the first time my then fiance took me home to meet her family, and over sunday dinner I was informed by her grandmothwer ''we don't like the welsh'' It was pretty much the first thing she said to me. It took a lot of me biting my tounge because I was v much in love.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for information.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Interesting it was language that for some reason offended,there was genuine two way banter about accent/use of words and trying to decipher/understand local dialect and expressions and humouress misunderstandings loon=boy etc.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Temulkar wrote:Then there was the first time my then fiance took me home to meet her family, and over sunday dinner I was informed by her grandmothwer ''we don't like the welsh'' It was pretty much the first thing she said to me. It took a lot of me biting my tounge because I was v much in love.
Old people are like that, I remember taking my Dad for a heart x-ray, he was 86 and said - very loudly - "don't let that big buck - n word - (I'm cringing even now) near me!" I told him off quite harshly. Dad, pushed in his wheelchair by the lovely Nigerian male nurse, tootled off down the corridor muttering to each other about disrespectful daughters.
I stood alone, silently screaming, in the corridor.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

At work I have been in teams of mainly Slovakians for the whole shift,not all can speak English very well,It doesn't bother me in the least we teach other expressions usually sweary though hearing " no good" 123 times a shift can be a bit tiresome,they share their snap with me,ask information etc.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Temulkar wrote:Then there was the first time my then fiance took me home to meet her family, and over sunday dinner I was informed by her grandmothwer ''we don't like the welsh'' It was pretty much the first thing she said to me. It took a lot of me biting my tounge because I was v much in love.
Old people are like that, I remember taking my Dad for a heart x-ray, he was 86 and said - very loudly - "don't let that big buck - n word - (I'm cringing even now) near me!" I told him off quite harshly. Dad, pushed in his wheelchair by the lovely Nigerian male nurse, tootled off down the corridor muttering to each other about disrespectful daughters.
I stood alone, silently screaming, in the corridor.
And here's the thing, the nurse came back and found me after Dad's x-ray (he brought him back) and asked "for a word" and then proceeded to tell me I should have more tolerance for an old man who was struggling to adapt to the modern world.
I was trying to do the right thing and the person I was trying to to the right thing by gave me a bollocking for it.
Where do you start ??
Edited several times because I can't get that "Here's" right!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

In other words, Tem, there are f'ing odd balls thoughout life, they are not isolated on racial lines and you (people in general not you personally) need to live in harmony rather than looking for fights all the time
#wehavemoreincommon
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

AngryAsWell wrote:In other words, Tem, there are f'ing odd balls thoughout life, they are not isolated on racial lines and you (people in general not you personally) need to live in harmony rather than looking for fights all the time
#wehavemoreincommon
Actually when you encounter racism you stand against it, whatever form it takes, when you encounter lies and smears you call them out. otherwise imo you tacitly give succour to their lies, or racism, or bigotry. Living in harmony is great, but you can't live in harmony with racists, or liars, and if you dont fight against it, they win. Thats the lesson of history. If you don't takea stand against evil, evil will win. For far too long we on the left have been accommodating, seeking to defuse conflict rather than fight. That has led to a massive rise in racism in this country, we didnt didnt challenge it, we didnt stand uup to it, and it has prospered. We have let the genie out off the bottle big time. Only by fighting back (non violently) can we get it back in again. The same with the post truth liars and smear artists. If we allow their deciet to go unchallenged we end up with Donald Trump. We have to fight back, because we are in a fight for our society, our very existence as a tolerant society governed by law is at stake today, here and now. We have to fight back.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Temulkar wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:In other words, Tem, there are f'ing odd balls thoughout life, they are not isolated on racial lines and you (people in general not you personally) need to live in harmony rather than looking for fights all the time
#wehavemoreincommon
Actually when you encounter racism you stand against it, whatever form it takes, when you encounter lies and smears you call them out. otherwise imo you tacitly give succour to their lies, or racism, or bigotry. Living in harmony is great, but you can't live in harmony with racists, or liars, and if you dont fight against it, they win. Thats the lesson of history. If you don't takea stand against evil, evil will win. For far too long we on the left have been accommodating, seeking to defuse conflict rather than fight. That has led to a massive rise in racism in this country, we didnt didnt challenge it, we didnt stand uup to it, and it has prospered. We have let the genie out off the bottle big time. Only by fighting back (non violently) can we get it back in again. The same with the post truth liars and smear artists. If we allow their deciet to go unchallenged we end up with Donald Trump. We have to fight back, because we are in a fight for our society, our very existence as a tolerant society governed by law is at stake today, here and now. We have to fight back.
Problem is Tem, your truth is not my truth, I called my own father out ,in public, and given the chance, he sided the bloke I was trying to defend!
Head spin.
Its not black and white, there are several shade for grey.
I give up.
I have friends from all parts of our communities - I love them all.
You included - You Welsh Man You.