Tuesday 24th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th January 2017

Post by HindleA »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Not sure,Spinning Hugo,might now,given his perceptive skills.
ahhhh.....I forgot he lives on a higher plane than us....

do you think he gets so many things wrong just to throw us of his trail?

He says his view was confirmed by 0.0909 % recurring of the judges today,to be fair.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... few-months

One in 10 nursery schools in England face closure within months
Truss was supposed to have sorted early years funding, right?

That went well...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I'm not sure what more I can do that give a link to a video of his saying what he said in response to a direct question.
Go on. A video where Corbyn replies with "we will impose a 3 line whip" in response to the question of voting on A50.

Perhaps you can point me to where I claimed he said anything other than what he actually said?

I gave a direct quote, and the video of him saying it.

Hardly deception.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I'm not sure what more I can do that give a link to a video of his saying what he said in response to a direct question.
Go on. A video where Corbyn replies with "we will impose a 3 line whip" in response to the question of voting on A50.

Perhaps you can point me to where I claimed he said anything other than what he actually said?

Hardly deception.

Are you really that dense?

Oh yes, sorry that was rhetorical
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -budweiser" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beer prices rise amid sobering threat of Brexit-related inflation
Heineken and Carlsberg follow makers of Carling and Budweiser in hiking cost of their beers in face of weak pound
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

SpinningHugo wrote:
refitman wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Hardly deception.
Silly me. I though that when you said:
"Rubbish was it made up."
viewtopic.php?p=145394#p145394" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In response to AK pointing out that the Graun were playing fast and loose with the truth, you were implying that he was going to enforce the whip.

Maybe I'm just guilty of inferring things. ;)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
refitman wrote: Go on. A video where Corbyn replies with "we will impose a 3 line whip" in response to the question of voting on A50.

Hardly deception.

I really don't get this as a technique of argument.

I am probably too dense I suppose.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Hardly deception.

I really don't get this as a technique of argument.

I am probably too dense I suppose.

It wasn't an argument.....more an observation.....

I will leave it to more mature people (see post above from Refitman) to try to have an argument with you....I would suggest they don't waste their time
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:'Asked' - Sounds more like a single-line whip to me
A single-line whip is a guide to what the party's policy would indicate, and notification of when the vote is expected to take place; this is non-binding for attendance or voting.
Hi all.

Hi Bob!
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

A single-line whip is a guide to what the party's policy would indicate, and notification of when the vote is expected to take place; this is non-binding for attendance or voting.
Hi all.
Hello!

How are you doing?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Hi all.
Hi RS!
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Hi Robert!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hi all.
Howdy!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-01-24/nine ... re-crisis/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

97% of councils in England tell ITV News council tax hikes will have no impact on social care crisis
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@RobertSnozers

How's tricks?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ment-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Israel announces 2,500 more West Bank settlement homes
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hi all.
Hello!

He could have ruled out a three line whip then, surely.

Indeed, the Guardian overdid it with its (withdrawn) headline. But let's not let that distract from the very obvious communications mess, whatever you're stance on the vote. Plus the non-logic of approving something you haven't seen.

Us strongest opponents here are mainly annoyed at the way he intends to vote.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ut-of-roof" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tall car salesman banned after driving with head sticking out of roof
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... hines-free" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Link ATMs: last-ditch bid to keep cash machines free
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Hi all.
Hello!

Indeed, the Guardian overdid it with its (withdrawn) headline. But let's not let that distract from the very obvious communications mess, whatever you're stance on the vote. Plus the non-logic of approving something you haven't seen.

So what would voting against do?

It won't change the result
It would put the party at odds with the referendum result - and that is not a good place to be with a hostile press

It is a gesture vote isn't it, it will have no material impact on the passing of A50.......remember also Corbyn has a constituency with 80% remain so I assume that he has some idea what they are saying....more than we have here

You are so adamant and strident in your comments about this, along with other posters, but in the end it is just one potential tactic amongst others

I find your opinion is completely clouded by your dislike of Corbyn - sorry to say - even in this post you are an apologist for the Guardian - and it is not the first time they have done this. The pattern that started with Miliband is continuing in spades with Corbyn.

You base so much on the press reporting and then don't seem to want to back down when it is shown to have been somewhat misleading

I am a Remainer but your approach seems to suggest that all 48% oppose the invoking of A50 - I don't because I think the only way to get us out of this sorry mess is to actually start the negotiations and see where they are going to take us

It is not the 48% Remain you have to convince either (but a goodly % of them will possibly need convincing after the abject spectacle of 'Project Fear') but those who voted Leave - by Labour voting to respect the referendum result then they start in a better place than if they vote to ignore it

I ask again what is your plan to stop us exiting the EU and is it dependent on Labour voting against A50?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Amongst many other consequences Hunt stated that he expects U.K.will leave the European Medicines Agency (HQ London ,employs 900)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Amongst many other consequences Hunt stated that he expects U.K.will leave the European Medicines Agency (HQ London ,employs 900)
Apparently Ireland is keen to offer them a new home:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/si ... 40317.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:Amongst many other consequences Hunt stated that he expects U.K.will leave the European Medicines Agency (HQ London ,employs 900)

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/si ... 40317.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ireland reminds me of Aston Villa a few years ago

Whenever there was a transfer in the offing there was always a final comment 'and Aston Villa have expressed their interest and have asked to be kept informed'

'Gizzan EU Agency!' in Yosser Hughes style
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... ut-of-roof

Tall car salesman banned after driving with head sticking out of roof
What next for man raised by puffins?
I still believe in a town called Hope
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

Whenever there was a transfer in the offing there was always a final comment 'and Aston Villa have expressed their interest and have asked to be kept informed'

Presumably this is one of the very many functions the EU collectively provides that we will now have to replicate unilaterally at addition financial cost or do without, at who knows what cost.

At least if we remain in the single market, our economy has half a chance of not tanking and we will be able to keep up reasonable standards.

We won't remain in the single market, however, if no one other than Farron argues for it. Already the Tory narrative that only a complete withdrawal from single market and customs union fulfils the referendum mandate is taking hold. It will only get harder to overturn this notion the longer it's left unchallenged, yet Corbyn has not once suggested we should stay in the single market.

The backing for the single market from the Welsh Assembly was very welcome, but the conversation needs to be picked up and amplified across the Labour party if it is to rival the Tories' hard Brexit plan in the minds of the public.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Voting against would get Labour as far away from what looks like a very serious mess indeed.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Voting against would get Labour as far away from what looks like a very serious mess indeed.
They should have voted against the original referendum bill on the grounds it was not fit for purpose. They're pretty stuffed now, sadly, but I'd rather they voted against if amendments fail. If they don't the words "blank cheque" will come to haunt them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... o-evidence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Donald Trump still holds baseless belief that millions voted illegally
President has long believed claim – despite a lack of evidence – based on ‘studies and information he has’, says press secretary Sean Spicer
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Willow904 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
Willow904 wrote: Apparently Ireland is keen to offer them a new home:

Presumably this is one of the very many functions the EU collectively provides that we will now have to replicate unilaterally at addition financial cost or do without, at who knows what cost.

At least if we remain in the single market, our economy has half a chance of not tanking and we will be able to keep up reasonable standards.

We won't remain in the single market, however, if no one other than Farron argues for it. Already the Tory narrative that only a complete withdrawal from single market and customs union fulfils the referendum mandate is taking hold. It will only get harder to overturn this notion the longer it's left unchallenged, yet Corbyn has not once suggested we should stay in the single market.

The backing for the single market from the Welsh Assembly was very welcome, but the conversation needs to be picked up and amplified across the Labour party if it is to rival the Tories' hard Brexit plan in the minds of the public.

I really can't see that being a catalyst for a significant Tory revolt on A50 though - remember I am talking about that particular decision not the negotiation and the position taken after it

One argument seems to be that voting against would somehow remove Labour from blame at some future point if all goes wrong....I think that is a rather big assumption to make and there is no evidence for it

I think the evidence for Labour taking that position leading to a monstering in the press and reducing the opportunities during the debate to get amendments through is a little bit more robust

I have still seen no roadmap to preventing Brexit that is helped by Labour voting against A50 - the only argument seems to be based on potential future damage to the party which is, at best weak.

My contention is that there is no such roadmap and that A50 will be invoked no matter what Labour does...even if they were stridently against then it would still be passed. Added to that I am personally of the opinion that voting for will give more likelihood of getting some meaningful amendments through (with the support of pro-Remain Tories who have also made the same decision as Labour and will vote for)....although I am happy to accept the argument that actually Labour's position actually makes no difference to that.

What I do not get why there is all animosity to Labour and the impression given that they are in a whole lot of trouble (copyright Rentool, amongst others) and that Labour voting for is somehow the critical decision in it passing....the Tories are the ones in trouble as they are the ones taking this disaster through Parliament with the guidance of May's weak speech last week

Take the emotion out, let the vote for A50 go through, get support for some amendments that will help either get a better deal or give a bigger say to Parliament (which is still pro EU remember) and let Starmer do his job

If in a year it is all going Pete Tong then you can tell me I was wrong

PS Willow is right...the time to have been more robust and vote against was the referendum bill....a lot of parties (not just Labour) messed that up
Last edited by howsillyofme1 on Tue 24 Jan, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Presumably over three million who voted uniformally.

Ref to Trump clarification.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

As I am sure most here are desperate to know my considered view of the Brexit case, here it is

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2017 ... stitution/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Tue 24 Jan, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Hi all.
Hello!

Why should he rule anything specific in or out until an actual bill has been produced? In fact how can he? It would be irresponsible to say how the party is going to vote until they know what they are voting on. The principle of not preventing Article 50 is different, because to do so would be tantamount to trying to overturn the referendum result. There are two connected but distinct issues.
It's a vote against May trying to get through with as little scrutiny as possible, with a date that she pulled out of her arse on Andrew Marr. I think you have to as much opposing up front, because amendments aren't going to work.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/24/polit ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

House approves bill barring taxpayer money for abortions
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... epublicans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Republicans push federal 'heartbeat' bill in longshot bid to overturn Roe v Wade
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... s-refugees" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trump to restrict immigration with executive orders Wednesday – sources
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... ng-tenants" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speech
Supporting housing tenants

Crap double plus.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

And other one

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Speech
Supporting local government

NB Delivered five days ago.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Press release
Rogue recycler found guilty for mattress mountain

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/rogu ... s-mountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... in-england" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charges proposed for out-of-hours GP appointments in England
GP leaders float alternative ways to fund health services, including charging for minor procedures outside of surgeries’ contracted NHS work

Weather Forecast

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 25 Jan, 2017 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Some late news

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ccelerates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Europe faces droughts, floods and storms as climate change accelerates

And with that we come to the end of transmission for this evening.
We're back again with the "Morning All" programme presented by Refitman at 07.15.

Good night.
Remember to unplug your television sets.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Channel hop to sports channel

Johanna Konta v Serena Williams: Australian Open quarter-final – live!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/ ... final-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Bollox

1-3
Last edited by HindleA on Wed 25 Jan, 2017 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Grammar schools 'may ask parents for hundreds of pounds a year'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38739744" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38719709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Social worker 'gave safe house address to woman's abuser'
By Adam Eley
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

2-5
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1st set Williams
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... nd-callous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Centrelink staff tell welfare recipients they agree debt system is 'unjust and callous'
Community and Public Sector Union releases open letter as department denies system has 20% failure rate

(Australia)

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ord-levels" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Centrelink scandal: union reports appeals against welfare debts at 'record' levels
Community and Public Sector Union feedback criticises automated system as ‘Dignity, Not Debt’ rallies planned

"The automated system relies on a process of data matching between Centrelink and the Australian Taxation Office to detect discrepancies in reported income. When a discrepancy is detected, a letter is automatically sent demanding an explanation from the individual.

The 20% figure relates to the number of cases in which the discrepancy detected by the system does not turn out to be a debt."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... s-solution" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We know social care is in cataclysmic crisis. Now we must find a solution
Peter Beresford
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

1-1 Konta level from 0-40,well done.