Wednesday 1st February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 1st February 2017

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... an-lawsuit

CNN editor sues after being detained at Atlanta airport under Trump travel ban
I think Trump likes being sued
maybe he thinks it's proof of his effectiveness
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill
Explanatory Notes

The Government intends to ask Parliament to expedite the parliamentary progress of this Bill. In their report on Fast-track Legislation: Constitutional Implications and Safeguards, the House of Lords Select Committee on the Constitution recommended that the Government should provide more information as to why a piece of legislation should be fast-tracked

Why is fast-tracking necessary?
The judgment of 24 January 2017 required the Government to complete an additional (and unexpected) step before the formal process of leaving the European Union can commence. Completing this step through the normal Bill timetable would cause considerable delay to commencing the formal exit process, making it impossible to do so before the end of March 2017. This would further generate uncertainty as to the timetable for our exit from the European Union.

Does the Bill include a sunset clause (as well as any appropriate renewal procedure)? If not, why do the Government judge that their inclusion is not appropriate?
Due to the nature and content of the Bill, it does not include a sunset clause.

Are mechanisms for effective post-legislative scrutiny and review in place? If not, why do the Government judge that their inclusion is not appropriate?
The impact of the Bill itself will be both clear and limited, therefore mechanisms for post legislative scrutiny are not necessary.

Have the relevant Parliamentary committees been given the opportunity to scrutinise the legislation?
Given the need to introduce legislation as quickly as possible, it has not been possible to formally discuss with Parliamentary Committees.

Has an assessment been made as to whether existing legislation is sufficient to deal with any or all of the issues in questions?
An assessment has been undertaken and existing legislation is not sufficient to give notice under Article 50(2) TEU.

https://www.publications.parliament.uk/ ... 32en06.htm
Good find CJA :)
Night all x
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

The best summation I've seen of the kind of white-hot anger I'm referring to (warning: long thread):

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Highlight:
And I am heartbroken, bewildered, and DEMENTEDLY FURIOUS that those freedoms will be DENIED to my children. That my children will grow up NOT as citizens of the wayward rebellious cousin of a family of nations, but as subjects of a SMALL pinched, smug, insular, tight-fisted, tiny-minded, shrivel-hearted, piss-blooded NASTY little island. Whose only true "friend" will be the Fascist Behemoth across the pond our spineless "leaders" will be forced to pay grovelling court to. And for WHAT?! To hold the fucking Tory party together?! Because the Labour Party has scarcely one functioning ball between them?!! To avoid making honest but short sighted people recognise that they were sold a bill of goods by corrupt charlatans?! And to appease a bunch of Daily Mail-addled Tiny Englanders and daft old racist pensioners who won't even LIVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN??! THIS is why my kids' futures are being sold away? THIS is why my country - which I do LOVE, fuckers - is being ripped apart? For THIS?! Call me elitist. Don't fucking care. Say I hate democracy. Don't fucking care. Twat on about the will of the people. Don't fucking care. Something UNBELIEVABLY DESTRUCTIVE, STUPID AND UTTERLY POINTLESS is about to be done - on PURPOSE - to my country. I care about THAT.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

NonOxCol wrote:The best summation I've seen of the kind of white-hot anger I'm referring to (warning: long thread):

Highlight:
And I am heartbroken, bewildered, and DEMENTEDLY FURIOUS that those freedoms will be DENIED to my children. That my children will grow up NOT as citizens of the wayward rebellious cousin of a family of nations, but as subjects of a SMALL pinched, smug, insular, tight-fisted, tiny-minded, shrivel-hearted, piss-blooded NASTY little island. Whose only true "friend" will be the Fascist Behemoth across the pond our spineless "leaders" will be forced to pay grovelling court to. And for WHAT?! To hold the fucking Tory party together?! Because the Labour Party has scarcely one functioning ball between them?!! To avoid making honest but short sighted people recognise that they were sold a bill of goods by corrupt charlatans?! And to appease a bunch of Daily Mail-addled Tiny Englanders and daft old racist pensioners who won't even LIVE TO SEE IT HAPPEN??! THIS is why my kids' futures are being sold away? THIS is why my country - which I do LOVE, fuckers - is being ripped apart? For THIS?! Call me elitist. Don't fucking care. Say I hate democracy. Don't fucking care. Twat on about the will of the people. Don't fucking care. Something UNBELIEVABLY DESTRUCTIVE, STUPID AND UTTERLY POINTLESS is about to be done - on PURPOSE - to my country. I care about THAT.
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, AAW!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill
Explanatory Notes

What these notes do 
These Explanatory Notes relate to the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill as introduced in the House of Commons on 26 January 2017 (Bill 132).
· These Explanatory Notes have been prepared by the Department for Exiting the European Union in order to assist the reader of the Bill and to help inform debate on it. They do not form part of the Bill and have not been endorsed by Parliament
· These Explanatory Notes explain what each part of the Bill will mean in practice; provide background information on the development of policy; and provide additional information on how the Bill will affect existing legislation in this area.
· These Explanatory Notes might best be read alongside the Bill. They are not, and are not intended to be, a comprehensive description of the Bill.
European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Bill (HC Bill 132)
https://www.publications.parliament.uk/ ... 2_en_1.htm
https://www.publications.parliament.uk/ ... 32en01.htm
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Why is fast-tracking necessary?

This question is unsatisfactorily answered in the Explanatory Notes, in my opinion. There wasn't any reference to Dave 'Bad At It' Cameron's high-tailing it out of his premiership, constituency and country without following through with his Tory party promise to exit the EU after the results were in, either.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Shocked etc
Reuters Business Verified account
‏@ReutersBiz

JUST IN: House approves resolution killing SEC requirement for oil, gas, mining companies to disclose payments to foreign governments
This next four years could well turn out to be the most corrupt administration ever.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

It gets worse...read the one about schools...

:sick:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:It gets worse...read the one about schools...

:sick:

Bloody Hell Roger, that's a hell of a list of batshit-crazy World-Dominationist/Destroying "achievements" .

Off to hide my head under the bedclothes :-)

NN
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

AngryAsWell wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:The best summation I've seen of the kind of white-hot anger I'm referring to (warning: long thread):

Highlight:
:rock:
I'm printing that and sticking it on the wall above my desk.
Also saving a copy for when my daughter is old enough to get the explanation with all the swearing.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nursing degree applications slump after NHS bursaries abolished
Royal college says decline – part of drop in English applications across university courses – raise fears for future recruitment
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Highlight:
That's very good.

Tories.
40 years the 'bastards' have been making Tory leaders lives a misery.
The europhiles just rolled over.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I particularly liked the what do they care they'll be dead soon anyway,line. Lovely stuff.
Last edited by HindleA on Thu 02 Feb, 2017 5:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Trump criticises 'dumb deal' with Australia on refugees after fraught call with Turnbull
• Trump lashes deal to resettle refugees from Nauru and Manus
• Washington Post says he told Australian PM their conversation was ‘worst call’

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ver-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;