Tuesday 7th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 7th February 2017

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:And here is Labour Press at 5pm putting out a statement from Starmer claiming a victory

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1569381 ... iament-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buffoon.
There was an amendment on which seven fairly significant Tories voted with Labour. Others including Nicky Morgan probably abstained. What more do you expect Starmer to do?

Six Labour mavericks, none close to Corbyn, rebelled.

There is a parliamentary majority for Leave and you know it. Stomping around pretending it's all Starmer's fault or all Corbyn's fault looks childish or is trolling. I'm not sure which.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:And here is Labour Press at 5pm putting out a statement from Starmer claiming a victory

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1569381 ... iament-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buffoon.
There was an amendment on which seven fairly significant Tories voted with Labour. Others including Nicky Morgan probably abstained. What more do you expect Starmer to do?

There is a parliamentary majority for Leave and you know it. Stomping around pretending it's all Starmer's fault or all Corbyn's fault looks childish or is trolling. I'm not sure which.
I dunno what you are unsure about it's blatant trolling, and convulvolus' modus operandi .
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

buffoon.
An hour before Nicky Morgan tweeted with incredulity about what Number 10 was doing.

I'd take care when bandying names like buffoon around ;-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Temulkar wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:As it happens in 2005, I was hospitalised with mumps. I would have voted for George Galloway if not. I'm glad I didn't.

Does this fit with your view of me as Blairite?

Tubby I really don't know why you are taking offence at my posts, Im not having a pop at you, simply putting the point across that if there is an election you will have a choice between May and Corbyn, who are you going to vote for?

Corbyn may stand down of course, but Labour isnt going to more to the centre, the membership as Hugo keeps pointing out has changed. People are going to face a hard choice, Im fortunate I don't have to as Im nnot in a marginal and my voting green wont harm NNia Grifffith, but if Plaid were to make headroads in Llanelli, I would hold my nose and vote for the woman, despite my incredibly low opinion of her - before and since she went into politics.
Because you did the pointed "you" up there.

I
The Tories came 4th here.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:As it happens in 2005, I was hospitalised with mumps. I would have voted for George Galloway if not. I'm glad I didn't.

Does this fit with your view of me as Blairite?

Tubby I really don't know why you are taking offence at my posts, Im not having a pop at you, simply putting the point across that if there is an election you will have a choice between May and Corbyn, who are you going to vote for?

Corbyn may stand down of course, but Labour isnt going to more to the centre, the membership as Hugo keeps pointing out has changed. People are going to face a hard choice, Im fortunate I don't have to as Im nnot in a marginal and my voting green wont harm NNia Grifffith, but if Plaid were to make headroads in Llanelli, I would hold my nose and vote for the woman, despite my incredibly low opinion of her - before and since she went into politics.
Because you did the pointed "you" up there.

I
The Tories came 4th here.
Umm I was addressing you, I fail to see an insult in using the grammatically correct pronoun.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Obvious jelly,note the mention of lack of backbone.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

buffoon.

Not claim victory when there wasn't one?

Not drop an amendment when no concession had been made?

Not lie to me?

Let me again explain something about responsibility.

Say 3 men push your car over a cliff. 2 of the men on their own would have been sufficient to do it. Can any one of them say he wasn't responsible because it would have happened anyway?

If you voted Tory, can you say "what they do is nothing to do with me, they would have won anyway"?

Can an individual who votes for Brexit say that they have no responsibility because it would have happened anyway without their vote?

Can the Labour party impose a three line whip for a vote that when passed will inevitably lead to the hardest of hard brexits and then say "Nothing to do with us, all down to the Tories"?

In any event, there was a Commons majority to be campaigned for to try and secure membership of, not meaningless access to, the single market. Corbyn doesn't believe in the single market, anymore than he believes in the EU, and so didn't try.

Contempt is all Labour deserves on the most important issue of our generation. At least most of the Tories actually believe in the idiocy they are voting for.

Vote Green, don't make yourself complicit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Though,doubling up in disquise as a fluffy rabbit.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

buffoon.
An hour before Nicky Morgan tweeted with incredulity about what Number 10 was doing.

yeah Nicky Morgan is an idiot. I didn't think Starmer was.

Not sure how that helps.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I make general point about Corbyn'dire ratings. You come back with something about me. Bizarre.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Hmm George Osborne abstained without permission from no 10. Admittedly he was the last person I would expect to develop a spine, but that is going to send Theresa into a rage.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I make general point about Corbyn'dire ratings. You come back with something about me. Bizarre.
I responded to your post and I used the you, because it was yours. I am more than capable of being insulting when I want, but if you are taking offence at a pronoun then you really are a snowflake - see that was insulting.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Try replying to the general point then.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Blind date is coming back,I see quite a few potential contestants
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

buffoon.

Not claim victory when there wasn't one?

Not drop an amendment when no concession had been made?

Not lie to me?

Let me again explain something about responsibility.

Say 3 men push your car over a cliff. 2 of the men on their own would have been sufficient to do it. Can any one of them say he wasn't responsible because it would have happened anyway?

If you voted Tory, can you say "what they do is nothing to do with me, they would have won anyway"?

Can an individual who votes for Brexit say that they have no responsibility because it would have happened anyway without their vote?

Can the Labour party impose a three line whip for a vote that when passed will inevitably lead to the hardest of hard brexits and then say "Nothing to do with us, all down to the Tories"?

In any event, there was a Commons majority to be campaigned for to try and secure membership of, not meaningless access to, the single market. Corbyn doesn't believe in the single market, anymore than he believes in the EU, and so didn't try.

Contempt is all Labour deserves on the most important issue of our generation. At least most of the Tories actually believe in the idiocy they are voting for.

Vote Green, don't make yourself complicit.
[youtube]vCCG2Z9LoVk[/youtube]
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... error-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Murdered backpacker's mother criticises Trump over 'terror' list
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

buffoon.

Not sure how that helps.
Because the government were saying two different things at the same time. Both Starmer and Morgan were confused. I can evidence the latter with Morgan's tweet above. But hey they are a buffoon and an idiot respectively according to the greatest mind of our time ;-)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

If you don't want people to misjudge your tone, don't do like you did to me the other week. You kept calling me a liar, as I recall.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I've thought for a while that Osborne will be the one to topple Mayham, (and let me make it plain - I do not back or support him at all) I wonder if he's now going to go on full manoeuvres. The two saving graces would be
1) He will mitigate Brexit as far as possible, unlike May, he is very much in favour of the EU to the point he argued with Cameron against holding the referendum in the first place.
2) We can at least vote him out evenyually - unlike Brexit.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ourt-hears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UK minister ignored official warning over Saudi weapons exports, court hears
Sajid Javid refused to suspend exports despite advice that weapons could be used to illegally kill civilians in Yemen
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: An hour before Nicky Morgan tweeted with incredulity about what Number 10 was doing.

Not sure how that helps.
Because the government were saying two different things at the same time. Both Starmer and Morgan were confused. I can evidence the latter with Morgan's tweet above. But hey they are a buffoon and an idiot respectively according to the greatest mind of our time ;-)

Nope, they really didn't. This was the quote from Jones

"First of all we intend that the vote will cover not only the withdrawal arrangements but also the future relationship with the European Union. Furthermore, I can confirm that the government will bring forward a motion on the final agreement to be approved by both Houses of Parliament before it is concluded, and we expect and intend that this happen before the European parliament debates and votes on the final agreement"

Nothing new in it. Exactly what the position was before and after.

Labour haven't got anything.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.lgcplus.com/services/housin ... 60.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right-to-buy could be extended to council company-built homes
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jo Maugham QC ‏@JolyonMaugham 3h3 hours ago
More
1. Before the Government's 'concession' its position was 'support our deal or we're out'.
2. After the Government's 'concession' its position is 'support our deal or we're out'.
3. Not quite clear what Labour thinks it has achieved (save that it's always nice to be pleased with yourself).
4. The Government's position is unchanged. And so is the reality. Both pre- and post 'concession' Parliament can vote on what it wants.
5. If either (a) the r27 agree (unlikely, imo) or (b) A50 is unilaterally revocable, and Parliament wants to remain it can.
6. And Parliament will want to remain if the people do. What we can't know, in a fast changing world, is whether two years hence they will
7. But what we can know is that the Government has sold a nonsense which the Opposition has wittingly bought. That ought to make us ashamed.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:I've thought for a while that Osborne will be the one to topple Mayham, (and let me make it plain - I do not back or support him at all) I wonder if he's now going to go on full manoeuvres. The two saving graces would be
1) He will mitigate Brexit as far as possible, unlike May, he is very much in favour of the EU to the point he argued with Cameron against holding the referendum in the first place.

The time for Osborne will be after Brexit has proven a disaster and the Tories want someone who (semi-)opposed it. He is still young and can wait for her to go. I expect he will be PM one day. He isn't an idiot Osborne. the way he used the deficit as an excuse to cut the size of the state was a masterclass in politics (disastrous in substance as it was).
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

"Nobody is going to believe Jez would have done a better job negotiating."

That was your general point - and the third post you directed at me, and I responded with an 'and?' because I consider it irrelevant.

May I also point out that I had made posts further up thread where I did not use the personal pronoun, because it was not directed at anyone personally, but when you responded and I respond back, then there is a clear grammatical rule which requires a fucking YOU.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:If you don't want people to misjudge your tone, don't do like you did to me the other week. You kept calling me a liar, as I recall.
Liar or stupid I think the phrase was, with your choice added. You still haven't told me what your choice is, so its a bit like Schrödinger's cat where you are in a permanent state of flux between stupid and a liar at the moment.

Although given your propensity to take offence at pronouns Im leaning towards the former.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Would be grateful for no youtube/image link of fucking ewes.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Glen O'Hara
‏@gsoh31

This is Labour Conference's democratically-decided policy on #Brexit. Bears zero resemblance to the Party in Parliament's 'tactics' today.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Hugo

Maybe John Crace can help you understand

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ything-but" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

government-concedes-that-brexit-concession-is-anything-but
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/econ ... -1.2966900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paul Krugman: Trump’s economic policy is about screwing the little guy
Reforms such as Dodd-Frank serve people not corporations. These are being reversed
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:I've thought for a while that Osborne will be the one to topple Mayham, (and let me make it plain - I do not back or support him at all) I wonder if he's now going to go on full manoeuvres. The two saving graces would be
His move likely was done for attention, he wants leadership. Osborne will never do anything good for the UK or for most people. Ever. His Chancellorship was ugly, the money his austerity budgets took out of the real economy is felt now, lived now. People are dead because of his Tory economic budget-cutting. His arrogance, the look on his face when justly rung up for his brutal cuts was sickening to me, he literally sneered. He never conceded he failed and failed some more after making all kinds of lofty promises. Those budget cuts just had to be happen, Osborne said. He failed and failed some more. People are dead, made redundant, the NHS is limping, local authorities are getting blamed for budget cuts he personally signed his name to. He always intends someone else to pay for his mistakes, his lies, his profiteering trust-funded aristocratic titled life. He went on vacation, gave talks worth a lot of money to someone and came back just in time for his gesture abstention. I've got a personal problem with George Osborne. I'm aware my anger with him hurts me, disturbs peace.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Here is the Labour September 2016 Conference Resolution on Brexit

"Unless the final settlement proves to be acceptable, then the option of retaining EU membership should be retained. The final settlement should therefore be subject to approval, through Parliament and potentially through a general election or referendum"

I agree.

Shame the MPs don't.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Glen O'Hara
‏@gsoh31

This is Labour Conference's democratically-decided policy on #Brexit. Bears zero resemblance to the Party in Parliament's 'tactics' today.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exactly. I despair. What in the world is happening.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@Hugo

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ything-but" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Starmer is a lovely, decent man but he’s not necessarily the lawyer you’d want fighting your cause."

Yeah, I thought that was quite good.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@Hugo

Tory government are so awful
Today was awful
There's nothing they won't do for power, anything for personal power alone
People rights, protection of people and land = negotiable units
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -wifes-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

French presidential contender François Fillon faces fresh claims over wife's pay
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ts-vatican" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

China may still be using executed prisoners' organs, official admits
Huang Jiefu, in charge of overhauling the Chinese transplant network, angers rights activists as Vatican trafficking talks begin
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Eddie Hitler

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... f-the-past" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Because the government were saying two different things at the same time. Both Starmer and Morgan were confused. I can evidence the latter with Morgan's tweet above. But hey they are a buffoon and an idiot respectively according to the greatest mind of our time ;-)
Yes. I was genuinely astonished at government's games today. I couldn't believe they'd be so rude, so obviously conniving.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://leftfootforward.org/2017/02/ips ... was-bogus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IPSO rules Daily Express ’98 per cent’ Brexit poll was bogus
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... umps-hands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bernardi bets on wave of destruction but future of rightwing populism is in Trump’s hands

Malcolm Turnbull is facing a one-man existential crisis but the US will decide whether the political class is defeated or rises again
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:
His move likely was done for attention, he wants leadership. Osborne will never do anything good for the UK or for most people. Ever. His Chancellorship was ugly, the money his austerity budgets took out of the real economy is felt now, lived now. People are dead because of his Tory economic budget-cutting. His arrogance, the look on his face when justly rung up for his brutal cuts was sickening to me, he literally sneered. He never conceded he failed and failed some more after making all kinds of lofty promises. Those budget cuts just had to be happen, Osborne said. He failed and failed some more. People are dead, made redundant, the NHS is limping, local authorities are getting blamed for budget cuts he personally signed his name to. He always intends someone else to pay for his mistakes, his lies, his profiteering trust-funded aristocratic titled life. He went on vacation, gave talks worth a lot of money to someone and came back just in time for his gesture abstention. I've got a personal problem with George Osborne. I'm aware my anger with him hurts me, disturbs peace.
Agree with everything you say.
But when Brexit starts dissolving around May's head - and it will - the Tory's, ever ruthless with their leaders will get rid of her and I just think Osborne will be ready and waiting to jump on the throne. Who else have they got? Word on the street is always about how Labour don't have any potential leaders, but no one seems to notice that the tory's are a bit thin on the ground potential leadership wise as well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I wasn't expecting the smallness, the feeble word trickery, from government. I completely understand Starmer's (and others') confusion.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... rock-sioux" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dakota Access pipeline: final phase to be approved in major blow to Standing Rock Sioux
The army corps of engineers says it intends to grant a permit for the oil pipeline to cross the Missouri river, following Donald Trump’s executive order
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... te-cartoon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve Bell on Theresa May and the Brexit debate
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Eddie Hitler

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... f-the-past" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ukip leader is confident of winning Stoke byelection and aims to increase party’s appeal to women and working classes"
Hence the working man-flat-cap-&-whippet re image, next he'll be telling us he has a pigeon loft.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Agree with everything you say.
But when Brexit starts dissolving around May's head - and it will - the Tory's, ever ruthless with their leaders will get rid of her and I just think Osborne will be ready and waiting to jump on the throne. Who else have they got? Word on the street is always about how Labour don't have any potential leaders, but no one seems to notice that the tory's are a bit thin on the ground potential leadership wise as well.
Good point! Tories haven't got talent. Recall May installed as Tory leader because she was tolerable compared to the bullies who'd crashed (remain and leave) around her. Of course, she was always part of that front bench, I never forgot that. But yes. She was the only one the country wouldn't collectively break down over.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
HindleA wrote:Eddie Hitler

Ukip leader is confident of winning Stoke byelection and aims to increase party’s appeal to women and working classes"
Hence the working man-flat-cap-&-whippet re image, next he'll be telling us he has a pigeon loft.
What'd I write the other day? Every picture shows a changing character this guy, attempting less unpleasant.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have ancestral flatcaps going back to the '50's.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No pigeons or whippets.