Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 22nd/23rd August

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday/Sunday 22nd/23rd August

Post by ephemerid »

RogerOThornhill wrote:I must say that it's good to know we have an expert on here who knows which tier economists belong to in the hierarchy and isn't just dismissing someone purely on the basis of what he supports....

It is good, yes.

Luckily, now that I have been informed that I am completely wrong, and MMT would take too long to explain, I leave it to my intellectual superiors rather than attempt to comprehend a letter written in English or take the time to inform myself on modern monetary theory.

High time I cleaned behind the fridge.

Thinking's obviously beyond me.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

gilsey wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:is signed by people from the third tier.
What's the definition of a first tier economist then? One who works for Goldman Sachs?
One who SH agrees with I expect.

Sneering at people's credentials when we don't actually know what his are isn't that clever...Hilary Wainwright, for example is not only editor of Red Pepper but did a PPE at St Annes Oxford - exactly the same degree as Cameron and Miliband - and has a more than decent post-grad research career.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Green Facebook Friend.jpg
Interesting argument being used here. And they appear to be saying they've been told by the Greens it's OK to vote in the Labour leadership.
Feasgar math, a h-uile duine :)

It would be helpful if either Natalie Bennett or Caroline Lucas would speak loudly and publicly against members of the Green Party signing up for and voting in the Labour Party internal elections. @Tizme1 has assured us that her party does not in any way support or encourage its members to do that, indeed she checked as far up the line as she could. Perhaps the attachmented* person's "Green Facebook Friend" is twisting things a little, or has misinterpreted something? I've trawled through the news pages on the Green Party's website in hopes of finding a clear statement from their leader (or others) on the matter but could only find two articles since the GE on anything to do with either Labour or with election processes and the two are not connected to each other:
https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2015 ... %E2%80%9D/
https://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/2015 ... -campaign/

Now, the first could be construed as support for Corbyn himself - "describing his rise as part of a “shift to a new political era” marked by the Green Surge and the growth of the SNP" is the tone of it, though; and the second, "cross-party-voting," could be also misinterpreted - it's about a petition organised by the Electoral Reform Society and Unlock Democracy. Mind you, it's also possible that the "GFF" either thought someone in their own local party had tipped them a wink or that someone did. I would not imagine it was the official 'internal' position to do so - it would just be an invitation to reciprocation, encouraging Labour Party members to do the same in Green Party internal elections.

*Attachmented= I couldn't work out how else to phrase it :confused:
Thanks Lady C. I did indeed check further up the food chain. The only exception as I said before, was union members who had been paying the political levy to the Labour party. Even that was more a case of 'we can't take away their democratic right' rather than suggesting that they should vote.

Of the two attachments, one is a petition regarding PR which has been a long standing aim of the Greens. The second is a statement about the shifting political landscape which Caroline also spoke about months ago - before Corbyn even declared his intention to run for the leadership. That said, there probably is quite a bit of support for him amongst Greens because he is one of the Labour party MPs who have worked with us in the past.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

While I'm on a weather related theme, I was reminiscing on the genius like former leader in his quiet man days ...
April 2003 - When it rains it pours

Iain Duncan Smith mistook as genuine a spoof advertising campaign promoting his beleaguered party. Standing obligingly in front of the fake billboard, the Tory leader was happily pictured under the slogan "It rained less under a conservative government."

When we asked our ace Scotland-based photographer Murdo MacLeod to try to snap Iain Duncan Smith with our radical new Conservative advertising campaign, he was convinced it would be a tall order. Surely the Tory leader would stay well away from a slogan like "It rained less under a conservative government" - or at least his minders would make sure he did.
In the event, Mr Duncan Smith was rather more obliging than we could have hoped. As he pulled up outside Balfron High School near Stirling, MacLeod asked him to step in front of the poster. "He read it out loud and said something along the lines of 'I wonder who organised that?',"

ScreenShot00683.jpg
ScreenShot00683.jpg (181.47 KiB) Viewed 6949 times

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/200 ... vatives.uk

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/200 ... vatives.uk
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

utopiandreams wrote:I'm sorry but I cannot fathom why Toby Young gets the exposure that he does. Every time I see him I think, "Where are the baby wipes, does he need changing?"
It's pretty straight forward:

Mother BBC
Father Baron Young of Dartington (Life not hereditary)
messed about at school but made it to Oxford (was allegedly - according to Wikipedia at least - sent an acceptance letter "by mistake"); teaching assistant at Cambridge.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Young" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has nothing to do with any kind of new/old boys network of any description. The simply man's brilliant. That's why.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Things aren’t really all that bad. That was the message from Ivan Glasenberg, boss of Glencore, when he unveiled a sharp fall in profits at the giant commodity trader and miner last week. Glasenberg said the rout in prices for coal, copper and other raw materials had been exaggerated by hedge funds’ bets against commodities to capitalise on fears about the Chinese economy. China’s manufacturing industry is the world’s biggest user of commodities. The basics of supply and demand in China were much better than prices indicated, Glasenberg argued on Wednesday. But then a survey on Friday showed China’s factory output falling at its fastest rate for more than six years. Perfect timing, then, for BHP Billiton, the world’s biggest miner, and copper producer Antofagasta to release results on Tuesday. BHP makes about 30% of its revenues in China so investors will be agog.

Analysts expect profits to have halved to $6.6bn.
As for Antofagasta, copper is seen as a bellwether for the global economy because it is used in everything from gadgets to plumbing.

Will BHP and Antofagasta agree with Glasenberg – or are things really that bad?"

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... line-nears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.
And in reverse order......god moaning, Por.

We now have a cracking (and crackling) thunderstorm overhead. I love it.
All the windows open and lovely fresh clean air on the way......

To all -
Many thanks for all the good wishes for Show.
He's up an about on sticks (they gave him a wheeled zimmer but he was such a liability they took it back) and is doing well.
Possibly home tomorrow if the consultant agrees.

(Do I want him back? On sticks? erm........)
You can threaten to kick his sticks out from under him if he's a pest...

I hope he's a better invalid than Mr Ohso. Sometimes it feels as if I'm running a kindergarten.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

I found this article interesting and can't help but agree with the 'Labour weren't anything enough' line.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

To all -
He's up an about on sticks (they gave him a wheeled zimmer but he was such a liability they took it back) and is doing well.

I hope he's a better invalid than Mr Ohso. Sometimes it feels as if I'm running a kindergarten.
Sorry, I keep meaning to add my good wishes for both Mr Ohso and Show. So here they are. :heart:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tizme1 wrote:I found this article interesting and can't help but agree with the 'Labour weren't anything enough' line.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I see the execrable Janet Daley has written one entitled "Jeremy Corbyn's young fans are fools" - yeah, that'll work calling people fools...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Trying hard not to break my vow on not commenting on the leaders, but this is so outrageous I have to post it :

Have Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall got the right look to win a leadership contest?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... p-contest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:Trying hard not to break my vow on not commenting on the leaders, but this is so outrageous I have to post it :

Have Yvette Cooper and Liz Kendall got the right look to win a leadership contest?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... p-contest/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is unbelievable.

I have been reading Bill Keegan for decades. He always, cone what may, argued for looser monetary policy, looser fiscal policy, and a lower pound. He is right about Balls and Miliband though.

This week's piece is like the letter from the 40 economists. It praises Corbyn for arguing for investment spending (which I would endorse too) whilst not endorsing any of the rest of Corbynomics.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Trying hard not to break my vow on not commenting on the leaders, but this is so outrageous I have to post it :

That is unbelievable.

I have been reading Bill Keegan for decades. He always, cone what may, argued for looser monetary policy, looser fiscal policy, and a lower pound. He is right about Balls and Miliband though.

This week's piece is like the letter from the 40 economists. It praises Corbyn for arguing for investment spending (which I would endorse too) whilst not endorsing any of the rest of Corbynomics.

I'm not quite with you. Are you saying that you do endorse (at least some of) "Corbynomics"? Are you saying that you do agree with the 40 economists?

Edited

" added (how do you put quotation marks in quotation marks?)
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 23 Aug, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:

To all -

That sounds awful. I am taking care of him. Honest.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 23 Aug, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That piece in the Speccie and the "Corbyn will bring us Mad Max for real" effort in the Mail would have been rejected as satire.

Arguably *the* best thing about Jezzamania is causing so many Very - EXTREMELY - Serious People in the MSM to have a nervous breakdown :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:That piece in the Speccie and the "Corbyn will bring us Mad Max for real" effort in the Mail would have been rejected as satire.

Arguably *the* best thing about Jezzamania is causing so many Very - EXTREMELY - Serious People in the MSM to have a nervous breakdown :)
And the idea that Donald Trump will be president! Lunacy
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
"Things aren’t really all that bad. That was the message from Ivan Glasenberg, boss of Glencore, when he unveiled a sharp fall in profits at the giant commodity trader and miner last week. Glasenberg said the rout in prices for coal, copper and other raw materials had been exaggerated by hedge funds’ bets against commodities to capitalise on fears about the Chinese economy. China’s manufacturing industry is the world’s biggest user of commodities. The basics of supply and demand in China were much better than prices indicated, Glasenberg argued on Wednesday. But then a survey on Friday showed China’s factory output falling at its fastest rate for more than six years. Perfect timing, then, for BHP Billiton, the world’s biggest miner, and copper producer Antofagasta to release results on Tuesday. BHP makes about 30% of its revenues in China so investors will be agog.

Analysts expect profits to have halved to $6.6bn.
As for Antofagasta, copper is seen as a bellwether for the global economy because it is used in everything from gadgets to plumbing.

Will BHP and Antofagasta agree with Glasenberg – or are things really that bad?"

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... line-nears" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
Australia is feeling the pinch due to China's problems...They rely almost entirely on mining now, have let drop manufacturing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Harvey Proctor: Former Tory MP faces second police interview in relation to murder allegation
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 67403.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

" " "?
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

‘Suicide Guidance’ Given To Untrained Glasgow Call Centre Staff By The DWP As They Prepare For ‘Desperate’ Calls From Unsuccessful UC Claimants

http://samedifference1.com/2015/08/23/s ... claimants/
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

^ Further to previous post ^
They KNOW how desperate their policies are making people. They KNOW the consequences of their policies. They KNOW it, and they don’t care.

https://imnotawriterbut.wordpress.com/2 ... atience-2/
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

One in five doctors sending patients to food banks thanks to rising poverty under Tories

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/on ... ts-6302670
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I know I am probably, like most human beings would do, looking for confirmation bias to make me feel better about my vote choice.
But one thing in Corbyn's piece in the Observer really resonated with me.

Corbyn says 'We need a Labour government in 2020, but we cannot wait until then.
Labour has to be a strong and constructive opposition in the next five years.
If we can win the argument in the country, then perhaps we can force this government to change course.'

All the focus on 'he can't win an election' misses that point.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Due to budget constraints, everyone has had to take a demotion and a pay cut.

(I've adjusted the rankings. Sorry PF, you're not PM anymore)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:Due to budget constraints, everyone has had to take a demotion and a pay cut.

Really? And I thought that I was so good at it . . . .
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:
refitman wrote:Due to budget constraints, everyone has had to take a demotion and a pay cut.

~1600 more posts and you're back in the big seat.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:

Admit it PF, you really loved pointing at fish.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

PorFavor wrote:" " "?
Thusly -

'Hello "PorFavor" how are you today?'

Or -

"Gosh! 'Corbynomics', eh?"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Yes - and even if I do say so myself as shouldn't, I was a dab (get it?) hand at it.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote: And in reverse order......god moaning, Por.

To all -

Well, of course you are.

The day the scientists work out how get men to have to go through monthlies, labour, and childbirth, I'll be a happy woman.

Until then, I can't take 'em seriously......

(Ducks)
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

What's this - a (hashtag) #Flythenestpurge ?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:
yahyah wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Really? And I thought that I was so good at it . . . .

Yes - and even if I do say so myself as shouldn't, I was a dab (get it?) hand at it.
Boo! ;)
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I am not impressed, Refitman.

Whilst I will enjoy whipping certain people :whip: I really want to be Thick Person In charge of Economics that Don't Work.
And fancy wallpaper.

Arise Lady Ephie, Baroness Osborne.....
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

These are the ranks:
Backbencher
Committee Member
Committee Chair
Minister of State
Lord Chancellor
Whip
Chief Whip
Secretary of State
Foreign Secretary
Home Secretary
Chancellor
Speaker of the House
Deputy Prime Minister
Prime Minister
Are there any more that could be added?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Oh - re the demotion -

Expect lots of really unproductive "interventions". I've earned the privilege . . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ruler of the world ? Ruler of the world forever ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:Ruler of the world ? Ruler of the world forever ?
I've now got Harry Secombe stuck in my head. Thanks.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

UUUSAAAIIINNNN BOLT!!!!!!!

I am so pleased - a man who has been a great ambassador for his sport beats someone who used to cheat with drugs.

Bolt may be at the end of his career at this distance; but it would have felt wrong somehow if Gatlin had won.
I appreciate this might be a bit unfair, as Gatlin has been drug-free for some time, but I don't care.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Nest of the long knives

Refitman MacMillan spares no-one
Weekly News 1962 - macmillannightoflongknives.JPG
Weekly News 1962 - macmillannightoflongknives.JPG (106.88 KiB) Viewed 6800 times
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:UUUSAAAIIINNNN BOLT!!!!!!!

I am so pleased - a man who has been a great ambassador for his sport beats someone who used to cheat with drugs.

Bolt may be at the end of his career at this distance; but it would have felt wrong somehow if Gatlin had won.
I appreciate this might be a bit unfair, as Gatlin has been drug-free for some time, but I don't care.
Especially after Bolt's stumble in the semi.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ephemerid wrote:UUUSAAAIIINNNN BOLT!!!!!!!

Gatlin should have been banned for life the second time. Once...OK...don't do it again. Second - you're gone for good.

Great to see Jess Ennis get gold too but really sorry for KJT - a few millimeters between triumph and failure.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:

Too many punctuation U-turns.
There was a grammatically ideological coup.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

refitman wrote:These are the ranks:
Backbencher
Committee Member
Committee Chair
Minister of State
Lord Chancellor
Whip
Chief Whip
Secretary of State
Foreign Secretary
Home Secretary
Chancellor
Speaker of the House
Deputy Prime Minister
Prime Minister

We don't have Deputy Prime Minister any more.

Cameron abolished it.

We now have a First Secretary of State.

Who is Osborne.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

This will unstick it PF.

From the Welsh press - a story about a sex club that meets in rural Wales.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ky-9909409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What was really worrying was the next pic was of a field of sheep.
Not sure people who seem to have lost the distinction between humans and animals for sexual purposes should be allowed near our four footed friends.

Have to admit swinging has never attracted me.
Seeing that it involves a lot of flobbering cellulite slowly turning blue and goose-bumped in the freezing Welsh outdoors, am glad to be a 'vanilla'

This all occurred not a million miles away from our own Rebecca Riots, not suggesting she's been playing gee gees of course.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 23 Aug, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:
refitman wrote:These are the ranks:
Backbencher
Committee Member
Committee Chair
Minister of State
Lord Chancellor
Whip
Chief Whip
Secretary of State
Foreign Secretary
Home Secretary
Chancellor
Speaker of the House
Deputy Prime Minister
Prime Minister

We don't have Deputy Prime Minister any more.

Cameron abolished it.

We now have a First Secretary of State.

Who is Osborne.
Ta. Changed that.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:This will unstick it PF.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ky-9909409" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure people who seem to have lost the distinction between humans and animals for sexual purposes should be allowed near our four footed friends.

Seeing that it involves a lot of flobbering cellulite slowly turning blue and goose-bumped in the freezing Welsh outdoors, am glad to be a 'vanilla'

This all occurred not a million miles away from our own Rebecca Riots, not suggesting she's been playing gee gees of course.
But you might bump into the Krankies!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I see they've got 70 new members. Is there a leadership contest in the offing?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I bet they are all Lib Dems.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: You can threaten to kick his sticks out from under him if he's a pest...

Well, of course you are.

The day the scientists work out how get men to have to go through monthlies, labour, and childbirth, I'll be a happy woman.

Until then, I can't take 'em seriously......

(Ducks)
This morning he took me to the supermarket.
Sat in the car while I shopped. It started to rain. I came back to the car with the trolley. He grabbed it from me and run over my toes. Tried to put the [by then] wet bags in the boot which had dry turf in it the other day and was half inch thick in dirt...I'm trying to indicate I want to load the bags in the back seat, and he's busy telling me about some woman's bad driving. And then I got in the car and although he'd been sitting in it whilst I was shopping he'd failed to shut the passenger window, and my seat was wet...

Feeling guilty and biting my tongue rather a lot.