Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st July 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 30th and Sunday 31st July 2016

Post by HindleA »

FWIW I've put some bumf under Welfare & Benefits.I have been quite "broad".It includes current consultations in Education for instance.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

RobertSnozers wrote:OK, I'll say it. The Owen Jones article has done what hundreds of Corbyn attacking posts on here have not, and just about finally convinced me that the Corbyn leadership not only isn't working now but probably can't work.

This does not answer the question of what I should do next or what Labour should do next. I am, however, convinced that the answer to that question is not 'vote for Owen Smith'.

So what now?
There is only one way for Labour to survive and challenge the tory party and media hegemony and that is as a mass movement - I said this long before Corbyn - there is (for all his faults) only one man who can do that.

JC needs to up his comms and media strategy. Im no milne hater but he isnt up to the job, however, he was not the first choice iirc.

And there is going to be a split, it has been coming since miliband beat his brother, and without it, there is simply no chance of Labour winning.

Smith rreally isnt the answer imo. Any hope Labour have of becoming a mass movement again would evaporate on him becoming leader.

As Hugo has pointed out JC is likely to win, so how do labour make the best of it?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: I feel I have. He's running a poor campaign, he's inexperienced, and his background is deeply problematic. Moreover, the notion that a change of leader will fix Labour's problems is pie in the sky. I feel those who think Smith will turn things around are as deluded as those who think Corbyn can be PM. Nor will it deal with the fact that the PLP and the membership are essentially two different parties.
There are a few weeks to go yet, I really want to see the debates on TV, I think there are 3 to come (?) so might get a better idea of his metal.
I don't trust debates at all. They made Clegg look really good, Cameron look pretty good and Brown look awful. They do nothing to show anything but the most superficial attributes.

As others have said, the key will be in what happens after Corbyn wins, if as seems likely that is what happens. Allowing the PLP to take charge again is not what I feel is best for party and country. One of Jones' most powerful points was how borderline treasonous it was for the PLP to launch an attempt to remove Corbyn at a time of national crisis. If the plotters don't get why people are angry (and I don't understand why more people aren't more angry about this tbh) they have a serious lack of empathy.

Best case scenario is, as many have said all along, for Corbyn to be allowed to set the party's direction before being replaced with someone with the ability to articulate that vision to a nation rather than just the party. But that will mean the PLP co-operating. And whichever way you cut it, it ain't Smith.
Lets agree to disagree on this. The more I see of OS the more he grows on me.
Long way to 2020 though, and much can happen. He's not my first choice by a long mile. Who knows - he may stand down if he wins to hold a "proper" leaders challenge with more coming forward. (Long odds on that happening....but)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:FWIW I've put some bumf under Welfare & Benefits.I have been quite "broad".It includes current consultations in Education for instance.
Thanks for those, just had a look, I don't think I can contribute to them, but I'm sure some here have the expertise & knowledge to do so
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Northern Ireland group to launch Brexit challenge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-i ... s-36878959" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Most are just links.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://tonygarnett.info/we-need-drama-p ... =hootsuite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STEWART LANE talks to Tony Garnett, the producer of tonight’s B.B.C.- 1 play. (1966)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"Let’s unite to beat inequality
Cathy come home In 1966 there were comparatively few Cathys. A housing problem, sure. The devastation of the war and the longer war against the poor, reflected in the Victorian slums, were being tackled. I was not even particularly aware of “the homeless”. Neither was Ken Loach (director of Cathy Come Home). But one of Jeremy Sandford’s neighbours disappeared. Jeremy, an investigative reporter, asked why. No one seemed to know, so he followed the trail.

Cathy Come Home was the result. It caused a sensation because few really knew the facts. Today there are countless more homeless; even more in despair at ever fulfilling their dream of a safe, secure place of their own.

Everyone knows the details and the numbers. Not a week goes by without yet another television documentary; radio report; or newspaper feature.

And nothing is ever done. Politicians promise. It makes them seem compassionate. But then they walk away. The homeless have a small voice and few votes. But they’re our politicians.

What has happened to us as a society?

Do we simply not care anymore? Are the homeless not our brothers and sisters? Or have those feelings been abolished in our competitive, winner takes all brave new world, where everyone is a commodity to be bought and sold? Or discarded. Have we given up on the idea of community in favour of winner takes all?

Because if we have become a society of selfish individuals, competing with each other, insecure and scared, I have news for you. We might ignore the homeless children with the insouciance we show as we walk past a homeless man sleeping outside a luxury shop on Piccadilly. But experts from those who work each day with the homeless tell us that it takes one, or at the most, two pieces of bad judgment and two or three pieces of bad luck and anyone can be homeless.

Yes, literally anyone. That is not empty rhetoric used to shock. It is fact. So we are, potentially, “all in this together”.

We could start to care for each other again. See that the children have a right to a warm, secure home without cockroaches and rats running all over them. Stop private landlords’ exploitation of their misery. Accept the market won’t solve the misery. Build social housing for need, not for profit. Homes for everyone. "

http://www.pcs.org.uk/en/news_and_event ... =hootsuite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://tonygarnett.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Most are just links.
I meant the link to the consultations - or have I read them wrong? *runs off to look again...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW my Dad does that "Dad" thing when watching the State theft of children from the Mother pretending in not being affected when you know he is.They tried it with him,they failed
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 01 Aug, 2016 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Oh that bit,sorry.Thought you meant all the bumf in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Let’s unite to beat inequality
Cathy come home In 1966 there were comparatively few Cathys. A housing problem, sure. The devastation of the war and the longer war against the poor, reflected in the Victorian slums, were being tackled. I was not even particularly aware of “the homeless”. Neither was Ken Loach (director of Cathy Come Home). But one of Jeremy Sandford’s neighbours disappeared. Jeremy, an investigative reporter, asked why. No one seemed to know, so he followed the trail.

Cathy Come Home was the result. It caused a sensation because few really knew the facts. Today there are countless more homeless; even more in despair at ever fulfilling their dream of a safe, secure place of their own.

Everyone knows the details and the numbers. Not a week goes by without yet another television documentary; radio report; or newspaper feature.

And nothing is ever done. Politicians promise. It makes them seem compassionate. But then they walk away. The homeless have a small voice and few votes. But they’re our politicians.

What has happened to us as a society?

Do we simply not care anymore? Are the homeless not our brothers and sisters? Or have those feelings been abolished in our competitive, winner takes all brave new world, where everyone is a commodity to be bought and sold? Or discarded. Have we given up on the idea of community in favour of winner takes all?

Because if we have become a society of selfish individuals, competing with each other, insecure and scared, I have news for you. We might ignore the homeless children with the insouciance we show as we walk past a homeless man sleeping outside a luxury shop on Piccadilly. But experts from those who work each day with the homeless tell us that it takes one, or at the most, two pieces of bad judgment and two or three pieces of bad luck and anyone can be homeless.

Yes, literally anyone. That is not empty rhetoric used to shock. It is fact. So we are, potentially, “all in this together”.

We could start to care for each other again. See that the children have a right to a warm, secure home without cockroaches and rats running all over them. Stop private landlords’ exploitation of their misery. Accept the market won’t solve the misery. Build social housing for need, not for profit. Homes for everyone.

http://tonygarnett.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for saying this, it puts politics into perspective. You are right, we all need to help sort this massive social problem. We all have a part in putting this right.
Thank you
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tony Garnett said/wrote it,to be clear.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I am afraid looking angst ridden/bewildered is about the extent of my contribution.Oh,and making tea,I'm good at that but better at drinking it.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Tony Garnett said/wrote it,to be clear.
..and I thought it was you.... :)
I did follow the link to see but it took me to a page of programs not text - I'm a bit tired so probably need to look again (getting to be a bit of a habit...)
Still good words though.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I've amended to make it clearer.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Strange how Tories always sneered at Owen Jones before about him being a wet behind the ears leftie who looked as though he still hadn't started shaving.

But now?

A wise sage saying what needed to be said to the Corbynistas.

Funny that...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So...tomorrow's front pages.

The Times reports that Theresa May's aide broke the rules on lobbying.

The Mail, i, and DT are all reporting fury at Cameron's honours list comprising Remain campaigners, aides and party donors.

The FT reports that Lord O'Neill is ready to resign from the Treasury team over May's rebuff to China.

All going well in the Tory camp then?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So...tomorrow's front pages.

The Mail, i, and DT are all reporting fury at Cameron's honours list comprising Remain campaigners, aides and party donors.

The FT reports that Lord O'Neill is ready to resign from the Treasury team over May's rebuff to China.

Is the Graun leading with Corbyn?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:

Yes. I've just got up from bed (briefly) to be greeted by this -
Labour party leadership
Former economic advisers to Corbyn back rival for Labour leader

Exclusive: David Blanchflower and Simon Wren-Lewis say incumbent can’t win next election and Owen Smith is better candidate (Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... owen-smith
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm now going back to bed.

Goodnight.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

refitman wrote:

The one on the front pages website (which may iof course change) is Trump and the Muslim family, AIDS, and the Cameron puce* list.

* This year's lavender...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Highly recommend hanging upside down in a cupboard,at least some of the time.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:Highly recommend hanging upside down in a cupboard,at least some of the time.
Cameron?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Meant as an escape method,but your idea better.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... witterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Impact of poverty costs the UK £78bn a year, says report
Joseph Rowntree Foundation estimates that dealing with the effects of deprivation costs £1,200 for each person in Britain

https://www.jrf.org.uk/report/counting-cost-uk-poverty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Stat-Xplore which is replacing the wonderful DWP tabulation tool-where you can piddle around for weeks on end with statistics is in my considered opinion to use the technological term -crap.Not working,again.
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 01 Aug, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Deleted due to "self imposed double digit edited you'll never be happy with it" rule
Last edited by HindleA on Mon 01 Aug, 2016 5:23 am, edited 11 times in total.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.ukauthority.com/news/6387/dw ... ess-online" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP plans to take PIP process online

Digital team aims to speed up applications for support for terminally ill people

The Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) is planning an online service for the submission of applications for urgent support for people with just a few months to live.

https://digitaldwp.blog.gov.uk/category ... nications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

HindleA wrote:http://www.ukauthority.com/news/6387/dw ... ess-online

DWP plans to take PIP process online

Digital team aims to speed up applications for support for terminally ill people

The Department for Work & Pensions (DWP) is planning an online service for the submission of applications for urgent support for people with just a few months to live.

https://digitaldwp.blog.gov.uk/category ... nications/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our service is in private beta which means we are testing it with a small number of healthcare professionals. We’re continuing to introduce our service to more doctors and Macmillan nurses, getting feedback and asking them to use the service for real patients. So far, we’ve received the digital DS1500 forms in a matter of seconds, not days or weeks, meaning the claim can be processed more efficiently.
Crazy stuff, the very opposite of the WCA !