Wednesday 9th November 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Womble44
Committee Chair

Re: Wednesday 9th November 2016

Post by Womble44 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
Womble44 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: If it's wondering around off the lead you could also ring the dog warden (sounds horrid, I know) but you have to pay a fee to get the dog back if the warden collects it, which might work as a deterrent ? Or do you know them well enough to just ask them to stop it?
When we were viewing the house, we actually got the fog picked up because we thought it was stray. The owner's response is 'you shouldn't live in the country if you don't like animals '
I hope you responded, "you shouldn't have animals if you let them shit on other people's property"
(I refer back to my prior point)
I feel like the neighbours don't like it either, but don't want to say. If you haven't lived in the country, you won't understand how big a problem falling out with one local twat can be
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Cat it is then. I've never seen a dog make the mistake twice.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

Everyone owns the houses here as well, so any argument you join is a long term one
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:Cat it is then. I've never seen a dog make the mistake twice.
You never met my dog then, I saw her repeatedly lose to cats and still go for it. She was nice but not terribly bright
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Voters crave politicians who actually stand for something - the guardian
https://apple.news/A58NHM06gScqj_sf5mgEg0w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

While I agree with the sentiment, what does Trump actually stand for?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Womble44 wrote:
You never met my dog then, I saw her repeatedly lose to cats and still go for it. She was nice but not terribly bright
Jack Russell by any chance?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Womble44 wrote:
Even after a fully armed claw to the tip of the nose? The dog equivalent of a knee to the nuts? Wow. That is a bit on the dim side.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Oh fuckity fuck, fuck, fuck:

Nonlinear climate sensitivity and its implications for future greenhouse warming | Science Advances - advances.sciencemag.org
http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/2/11/e1501923" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Our results reveal that S is strongly dependent on the climate background state, with significantly larger values attained during warm phases. Using the Representative Concentration Pathway 8.5 for future greenhouse radiative forcing, we find that the range of paleo-based estimates of Earth’s future warming by 2100 CE overlaps with the upper range of climate simulations
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

If this is right: to quote a panicked character in a film, "Game over man. Game over." And we have no Ripley.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

JonnyT1234 wrote:If this is right: to quote a panicked character in a film, "Game over man. Game over." And we have no Ripley.
Not sure I understand it properly, but your reaction tells me its bad? Really bad?
Womble44
Committee Chair

Post by Womble44 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Womble44 wrote:
Jack Russell by any chance?
Retriever. Put it this way, she leaned against the gas fire and caught alight herself (she was fine, we caught it very quickly). Subsequently, we had to put extra guards up in front of the fire as she didn't learn her lesson
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

It's saying that the sensitivity of the climate to doubling of CO2 has been underestimated and is at the top end of the range of prior estimates. We're looking at between approx 5 to 7 degrees of warming above pre-industrial levels by 2100 if we carry on, business as usual (since the 1980s, not from now), rather than 2.6 to 4.8 (which is bad enough already). The upper end is guaranteed extinction level warming.

And America has just elected Donald Trump.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://m.insidehousing.co.uk/7017596.bl ... te=enabled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Manifestly without reason
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

On the bright side, this is just one study. It could be wrong.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

On the not so bright side, if it's right, keeping to 1.5 deg C is fantasy. 2.0 is approaching the incredibly difficult.

And Donald Trump has just been elected president.
Last edited by JonnyT1234 on Wed 09 Nov, 2016 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

JonnyT1234 wrote:On the bright side, this is just one study. It could be wrong.
Fingers crossed then.....
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

####
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

JonnyT1234 wrote:It's saying that the sensitivity of the climate to doubling of CO2 has been underestimated and is at the top end of the range of prior estimates. We're looking at between approx 5 to 7 degrees of warming above pre-industrial levels by 2100 if we carry on, business as usual (since the 1980s, not from now), rather than 2.6 to 4.8 (which is bad enough already). The upper end is guaranteed extinction level warming.

And America has just elected Donald Trump.
To put it into perspective, see this article and the first chart. The blue line will be a zone that goes all the way up to above 7, not top out at 4.6. The red line (current commitments) would also shift upwards. Meaning that achieving the green line that we should really be aiming for just got absurdly difficult.

Will Trump go down in history as the man who pulled the plug on a livable climate? - ThinkProgress.org
https://apple.news/AyEVvG547NRi8BdNZtLPDwA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

A caveat about that chart - it's been simplified. The lines should include zones around them showing the range of estimated values, not just a line of the best estimate. The further ahead in time you go, the broader those zones get. This is because we haven't been able to nail to a good enough accuracy the climate sensitivity (S in the paper above), so the margin for error increases over time.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I presume a dialysis room is a direct medical need .If I could see the manifest without reason not to exempt when this ridiculous policy was being introduced,I am sure they could. Viewers with a long memory may remember obsessional concern,still argue that making,in effect,health care chargeable as default.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A post-election poem. #NotMyPresident

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Electing Trump: the moment America laid waste to democracy as we know it - the guardian
https://apple.news/A-yho_UBpTIGsfwPPADSfRg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gary Younge continues to be one of graun's finest writers.
"The Democratic party establishment just says it wants to do the things we’ve always done and have incremental change," says Dave Ring, who owns the Downtown Farm Stand and voted for Bernie Sanders in the primary and Clinton in the presidential election. "And the rest of the public is out here like we don’t have time for incremental change."
For the right of the Labour Party to mull over.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I note that some of the most prominent Republicans who either withdrew their support from, or refused to support, Donald Trump's candidature on account of his "groping" tape because it put him beyond the pale (paraphrase) are now saying that they will get behind him as he is President Elect. With what moral justification? He's still the same man. They can't even claim that the offences are now appreciably more lost in the mists of time than when they first decided that his actions were indefensible.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Thanks Johnny, that paper was a bit technical, but yes, I agree, it looks like we're fucked. Mind you, according to this bloke, our societies are likely to collapse anyway. Time to buy that farm away up in Northumberland...

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ricky Gervais ‏@rickygervais 5h5 hours ago
In the long run things won't change much. The rich will stay rich, and the people with power will make the poor blame each other.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Sorry that I'm not engaging much with others here. I've been in and out of bed all day and so I'm constantly out of step - although I do read through all the posts. The generally disturbed night really did me in.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Bloody Americans. Always have to do things bigger and better than everyone else...
You Brits thought you could make the most embarrassing political decision of the year. Boy, did we show you.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Must admit I found myself thinking this morning: at least we're not the most embarrassing country on the planet now.
I wasn't proud of myself for thinking it mind.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

PorFavor wrote:I note that some of the most prominent Republicans who either withdrew their support from, or refused to support, Donald Trump's candidature on account of his "groping" tape because it put him beyond the pale (paraphrase) are now saying that they will get behind him as he is President Elect. With what moral justification? He's still the same man. They can't even claim that the offences are now appreciably more lost in the mists of time than when they first decided that his actions were indefensible.
As I wrote earlier. The Republicans are cowards. It's how Trump got where he is.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.vox.com/first-person/2016/11 ... e-care-act" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I’m a disabled American. Trump’s policies will be a disaster for people like me.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Must admit I found myself thinking this morning: at least we're not the most embarrassing country on the planet now.
I wasn't proud of myself for thinking it mind.
I think we need to wait and see if he makes the US equivalent of Boris Johnson his 'Foreign Secretary' before we can definitively say that, but you're not far wrong.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... heresa-may" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If there's any hint of compromise, the Brexit revolutionaries will not spare Theresa May
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Chris GeidnerVerified account
‏@chrisgeidner
Over the past few days, the Trump campaign removed his two "possible SCOTUS picks" news releases from their website: https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/t ... vukbdM9ymB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Chris Geidner ‏@chrisgeidner 1h1 hour ago
[Updated to note that ALL Trump campaign news releases, incl the December '15 call for a ban on Muslim immigration, have been removed.]
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

How can Barack Obama be "rooting for" Donald Trump's success? Surely it's obvious that Donald Trump can only act in one of two ways:

1) by not delivering on the outrageous promises he has made - ie the reasons people voted for him - and bring about the inevitable backlash or;

2) he can do the opposite.

Either way, there'll be strife and unrest since I could detect no grey areas in his pronouncements.

I think I may already have said this.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Impartial journalism is laudable. But false balance is dangerous
David Robert Grimes

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blo ... -dangerous" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The BBC provided a high-profile example of this in 2011, coming in for harsh criticism in a Trust report which singled out their “undue attention to marginal opinion” on the subject of man made climate change, among other issues. Despite the overwhelming scientific evidence that human activity is driving climate change, the report found that several BBC shows fell victim to an “over-rigid application of editorial guidelines on impartiality,” resulting in far too much airtime for climate change deniers. A follow-up report published in 2014 concluded that this key conclusion “still resonates today”.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Associate Citizenship of the EU for those who voted to remain
Change petition growing quite fast

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/ ... -to-remain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/don ... 06786.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On both sides of the Atlantic, we are witnessing a delayed reaction to the 2008 financial crisis. Working class people are angry. Their wages have stagnated and they have seen millions of industrial jobs disappear under globalisation. They fear their children and grandchildren will be worse off than them. Migrants became a useful scapegoat for right-wing populists, who made curbing immigration part of their economic nationalism.
So angry they voted to make their lives worse.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Madness, isn't it. I mean, divide and conquer as a strategy has been around for at least 2,000 years and we mugs still fall for it.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

How did we forget this one yesterday?
Razorlight - (Panic in) America

JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Burying the bad news pt.6:

NHS trusts on course to overshoot budgets by £850m, figures suggest - the guardian
https://apple.news/AkfuGzn8ZRTWs-oFEouq44A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Such an overspend would be a setback for NHS England’s chief executive, Simon Stevens, and Jeremy Hunt, the health secretary, as they have pledged to ensure that trusts end the year no more than £250m in the red.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:How can Barack Obama be "rooting for" Donald Trump's success? Surely it's obvious that Donald Trump can only act in one of two ways:

1) by not delivering on the outrageous promises he has made - ie the reasons people voted for him - and bring about the inevitable backlash or;

2) he can do the opposite.

Either way, there'll be strife and unrest since I could detect no grey areas in his pronouncements.

I think I may already have said this.
Because in and around government the democrats tend to be nice and collegiate, whilst the republicans tend to be shits.

The senior republicans who kind of semi-repudiated Trump during the campaign will stand behind him now because they care much more about power than about principle (other than the principle of 'we are always right and they are always wrong').

They will be lining up policy menus now for the guarantee of two years of potentially unlimited power, and will care a lot more about that than about the fact that they've elected the misogynist racist bully they didn't like so much before yesterday.
I still believe in a town called Hope
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... es-it-mean" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The bedroom tax supreme court rulings: what happened and what does it mean?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Having read that,not sure as to whether a dialysis room on its own would be exempt.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Looking forward to Trump keeping his campaign promise by renaming the USA as Great America.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Trying to think of a witty riposte,or an attempt of.It is the end of witty ripostes as we know it.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

HindleA wrote:Having read that,not sure as to whether a dialysis room on its own would be exempt.
I can't say I'm any the wiser on that, either.
Many people will find it extraordinary, given the specific household needs and circumstances of the Rutherfords, the Carmichaels and “A”, that they were subject to the bedroom tax in the first place
I find it even more extraordinary that there are many people who won't.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

If you Trumped,then you'd better deal with the smell?