Saurday 8th & Sunday 9th October 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Saurday 8th & Sunday 9th October 2016

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:OK, time for football.

Hopefully when I return we'll have moved on from revisiting 2003 and come back into the present day...
I wish I loved football.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Hopefully when I return we'll have moved on from revisiting 2003 and come back into the present day...
Rugby for me. Hopefully Bristol can get their first win of the season.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Roger's lucky. International break for the Championship. Excuse me while I stifle a yawn.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm glad friends are here. News depressing as hell.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

This is the point of no return for Donald Trump
Richard Wolffe

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ng-apology" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -tenements" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John Cleese has shown his ignorance about poor people, bad housing and modern life
Ian Jack
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

iPhone/safari malfunction
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I play in a supposedly "walking "version for the over 50's,I keep getting sent off for speeding.

I jest.
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKTPks ... 5OdjA/live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another Europe is Possible: Brexit Britain: What went wrong and what next?
First section was 'Making sense of Britain’s EU referendum' with Owen Jones, author, Ash Sarkar, Novara Media, Zoe Gardner, Another Europe, Yanis Varoufakis, DiEM

Just come across this, as its about to finish, but it should be archived to watch later
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Personal Independence Payments, a Peer and Paralympian

By Bernadette Meaden

http://www.ekklesia.co.uk/node/23479" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

The open democracy link isnt working now its down but " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; seems to be a working archive of the afternoon
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

An American woman(anti-Trump political commentatorwhose name escapes me) on BBC TV news has opined that the latest revelations don't appear to be doing him (Trump) much damage so far. She seemed depressed. I am too, after hearing her.

Edited to tidy up a real pig's ear of a sentence
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Not sure what such an instant assessment is based on, tbh?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not sure what such an instant assessment is based on, tbh?

General world-weariness, I suspect. That and the polls in Ohio.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:An American woman (anti-Trump political commentator whose name escapes me) on BBC TV news has opined that the latest revelations don't appear to be doing him (Trump) much damage so far. She seemed depressed. I am too, after hearing her.
I recommend 270 to win, especially the simulator.

I am aware of my views of polling before the last general election and I do have a residual belief that everything is awful and people are terrible and nothing can be trusted. However...

* If you look at the main page and pull up the actual result from 2012, Trump needs a net 'gain' of 64 electoral college votes compared to Romney's performance last time. He has been briefly ahead in Ohio and Iowa but otherwise has failed to develop a lead in any of the states he needs to win.
* If you look at the summary page of the simulator then, whilst this is all just play, it has been slowly drifting towards Clinton (from a starting point in the high 80%'s of likelihood of winning up to over 90% now, before this latest nonsense).
* It seems more likely, at the moment, that Clinton will make some gains. On the night, two of the first states to call will be North Carolina and Georgia, both won by Romney last time. If she wins either of them, that's just about it. Things have to go right for Trump just about everywhere. [Edited to add - if she loses them then Trump is just standing still. Florida/Ohio/Pensylvania/Wisnconsin/Michigan/Minnesota. He's behind in all of them again at the moment]

* Please bear in mind that I was the person who said that there was no route for the conservatives to win here last time.
Last edited by adam on Sat 08 Oct, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I still believe in a town called Hope
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Not sure what such an instant assessment is based on, tbh?

General world-weariness, I suspect. That and the polls in Ohio.
The polls in Ohio have been moving back in Clinton's direction.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

On which topic, the GOP senatorial candidate in NH has apparently said she will not be voting for Trump.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On which topic, the GOP senatorial candidate in NH has apparently said she will not be voting for Trump.
She says she's going to vote a write-in for Pense.

The biggest worry I have about Trump's behaviour is that he will actually bugger off and the GOP's new ticket will get a bounce. It seems very unlikely but you never know.

I'd add, in all of this, that Wikileaks put out what they claim are transcripts of Clinton's much whispered about speeches to Wall Street and they seem to be full of nothing at all bad and a few things that are almost good.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think Thornberry is decent, "that tweet" aside. She is normally a good media performer (despite that spat with Murnaghan, who arguably deserves it anyway)
Miliband's reprimand and Thornberry's prompt acknowledgement and resignation from her cabinet position following
her inappropriate tweet were judiciously handled. How someone handles their mistakes adds insight into their character.
There was nothing inappropriate about it at all. And Miliband was a coward for not standing up for her during a tabloid witch hunt. Particularly as it was an ideal opportunity to turn the tables on them and neuter their attacks on Labour.
Donald Trump: Making America Hate Again
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I think Thornberry is decent, "that tweet" aside. She is normally a good media performer (despite that spat with Murnaghan, who arguably deserves it anyway)
Miliband's reprimand and Thornberry's prompt acknowledgement and resignation from her cabinet position following
her inappropriate tweet were judiciously handled. How someone handles their mistakes adds insight into their character.
There was nothing inappropriate about it at all. And Miliband was a coward for not standing up for her during a tabloid witch hunt. Particularly as it was an ideal opportunity to turn the tables on them and neuter their attacks on Labour.
I have occasionally said on CiF (and got loudly ridiculed about) that 'that tweet' said 'Today in Rochester' with the picture, on the day of the by-election, and that I read it as 'we used to assume a household like this would be voting labour, can we be asssuming that now', and that if you saw the tweet and thought it said 'look at the fucking chavs' then it said more about you than about Thornberry. I stand by that assessment.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

It was one tweet in a series of photos documenting her day in the area. She grew up on an estate like it. Ffs, the 'snobbery' was the interp that was put on it by the Sun. It was a perfect opportunity for Labour to go on the attack against them and Miliband bottled it.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

JonnyT1234 wrote:It was a perfect opportunity for Labour to go on the attack against them and Miliband bottled it.
Sadly I agree.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

citizenJA wrote:

I wish I loved football.
If the result was that became an Orient supporter you'd definitely not think that.

20th in what was Division 4. Dire.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Ukip is making Britain look like a basket case at the precise moment our image matters most - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/A2CsipQKJSlOxblHA5R6vEw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah. Having people like Boris Johnson and Liam Fox representing us abroad is the pinnacle of savviness when our image matters most. The Telegraph used to be a good paper once. What happened to it and the Guardian? Why have they plummeted so low, so fast?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
I wasn't offended by Thornberry's tweets. I understood how the images and text could be misconstrued. My respect for Thornberry
and Miliband was untarnished by the entire episode.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Labour vote would sink even further if Tony Blair returned as leader, poll finds - The Independent
https://apple.news/AWTOvziE-SzKRgvxTgHASIQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unity candidate.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

citizenJA wrote:I wasn't offended by Thornberry's tweets. I understood how the images and text could be misconstrued. My respect for Thornberry
and Miliband was untarnished by the entire episode.
By not standing against it, she's now damaged goods for the rest of her career as 'that middle class snob who sneers at the white, working classes'. It was a catastrophically stupid move not to go on the attack with it. I never did respect Miliband for his near complete lack of media savviness but this was a real low point for me in his leadership. That isn't to say he didn't have his moments (standing up to Murdoch being the best of them) but this was a wide open goal and he fluffed it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

adam wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:On which topic, the GOP senatorial candidate in NH has apparently said she will not be voting for Trump.
She says she's going to vote a write-in for Pense.

The biggest worry I have about Trump's behaviour is that he will actually bugger off and the GOP's new ticket will get a bounce. It seems very unlikely but you never know.

I'd add, in all of this, that Wikileaks put out what they claim are transcripts of Clinton's much whispered about speeches to Wall Street and they seem to be full of nothing at all bad and a few things that are almost good.
I was just thinking about the downside to Trump withdrawing, too. I think it's probably better that he stays put, all in all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

.In '97 there was barely a house,here, without a Labour poster and/or Chesterfield football poster/flag/scarf in the run up to the election/dubious referee decision to deny Cup final place.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Miliband was put under terrific pressure to sack EH by the types who are urging Labour to out-UKIP UKIP on immigrants now.

In retrospect, it was one of the first signs of what was coming.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My knowledge is limited but from what I gather,not that easy for someone else to stand, some people have already voted for one thing.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Stephen Woolfe not giving up.
It seemed as if he was acquiescing to help get the story out of the headlines, but apparently not.

Radio 4 reported something about his injuries not being consistent with a fall or seizure, but didn't hear who claimed that.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... ked-by-pa/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:My knowledge is limited but from what I gather,not that easy for someone else to stand, some people have already voted for one thing.
Yes, the first "advance" ballots were cast earlier this week or something.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Reports that the Republican National Committee are looking at options to replace Trump.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

May’s Government Facing Split Over Plan to Name Foreign Workers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... r-business" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Jay Beecher
‏@Jay_Beecher
Today,due to corruption & unchallenged racism in UKIP,I've decided to leave the party.Full statement to follow.More truths on their way.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Emily Thornberry's tweet pictured someone's private residence with the number plate of their van clearly visible without their permission. It was an invasion of privacy, showing a certain lack of common sense. The media reaction was overblown for sure, completely out of proportion, but the person who owned the house was unhappy about it and that, essentially, is why she had no choice but to resign. The fact that she has soon returned to the front bench with little comment underlines the fact that it was a minor mistake, soon forgotten. To suggest Ed Miliband should have defended her as if she had done nothing wrong, when she had, however minor, is unfair. If the owner of the house could not have been so readily identified from the photo or hadn't objected to its use she wouldn't have been in such a delicate position and could have defended herself against the unfair interpretation of her message more robustly, but that was not the case.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-37040360" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US election: Could Republicans still dump Donald Trump?
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Speaking of how dismal the Telegraph has become, Christopher Booker stepping up to the plate to show by exactly how much. What a tremendous bellend he is.

The Guardian's '100 months to save the planet' was always just a fantasy - The Telegraph
https://apple.news/A7kIUZm69TyinYBJpSEeOjQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Choice quote:
Far from the ice caps melting, the total amount of polar ice in the world is almost exactly the same in today’s Arctic and Antarctic as it was when satellite records began in 1979
'No change' in the Arctic (and this is just the extent, not the total mass)

'No change' in Antarctica:

'No change' in the Greenland ice sheet:

Fuck liars like Christopher Booker and the newspapers who let them print their lies.
JonnyT1234
Home Secretary

Post by JonnyT1234 »

Willow904 wrote:Emily Thornberry's tweet pictured someone's private residence with the number plate of their van clearly visible without their permission. It was an invasion of privacy, showing a certain lack of common sense. The media reaction was overblown for sure, completely out of proportion, but the person who owned the house was unhappy about it and that, essentially, is why she had no choice but to resign. The fact that she has soon returned to the front bench with little comment underlines the fact that it was a minor mistake, soon forgotten. To suggest Ed Miliband should have defended her as if she had done nothing wrong, when she had, however minor, is unfair. If the owner of the house could not have been so readily identified from the photo or hadn't objected to its use she wouldn't have been in such a delicate position and could have defended herself against the unfair interpretation of her message more robustly, but that was not the case.
You have no right to privacy when what is on show is visible in a public place. None. There is nothing to stop anyone taking a photo of any house in the country and sharing it publicly, unless the taking of that photo required the photographer to commit trespass.

That is a completely bogus argument. If the Sun published that photo (a clear breach of copyright by the way) with the location and number plate clearly visible then it was they who were in the wrong, not Thornberry.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

JonnyT1234 wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Emily Thornberry's tweet pictured someone's private residence with the number plate of their van clearly visible without their permission. It was an invasion of privacy, showing a certain lack of common sense. The media reaction was overblown for sure, completely out of proportion, but the person who owned the house was unhappy about it and that, essentially, is why she had no choice but to resign. The fact that she has soon returned to the front bench with little comment underlines the fact that it was a minor mistake, soon forgotten. To suggest Ed Miliband should have defended her as if she had done nothing wrong, when she had, however minor, is unfair. If the owner of the house could not have been so readily identified from the photo or hadn't objected to its use she wouldn't have been in such a delicate position and could have defended herself against the unfair interpretation of her message more robustly, but that was not the case.
You have no right to privacy when what is on show is visible in a public place. None. There is nothing to stop anyone taking a photo of any house in the country and sharing it publicly, unless the taking of that photo required the photographer to commit trespass.

That is a completely bogus argument. If the Sun published that photo (a clear breach of copyright by the way) with the location and number plate clearly visible then it was they who were in the wrong, not Thornberry.
Disagree with you here.

Willow wasn't framing it as a legal argument. Common sense (and courtesy, I would suggest) were the issues.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Hillary Clinton\Donald Trump debate is being shown at 1.35am on Channel 4 tomorrow (or maybe that should be the day after tomorrow). Sunday night\Monday morning, at any rate.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Aaron Bastani ‏@AaronBastani 1h1 hour ago
Was told last week Corbyn had pulled out after politics surrounding SWP and sexual assault made clear to him. Him changing mind puzzling.

Aaron Bastani
‏@AaronBastani
People asking if I've been 'hacked'. Nope. Id just like the left to have integrity and take sexual assault seriously.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

?Any ideas?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Re last - probably to do with this I would think
Jeremy Corbyn heckled by activists at Stop the War Coalition event in central London

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 64371.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Gardener smashes UK pumpkin record :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37595985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

it's dropping some more
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Gardener smashes UK pumpkin record :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-37595985" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a lot of pie. Anyone have a good pastry recipe?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:

I've never had pumpkin pie, but this looks nice

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7733 ... aple-cream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:

I've never had pumpkin pie, but this looks nice

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7733 ... aple-cream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh yeah
pumpkin pie treats, flythenesters!