Wednesday 4th January 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 4th January 2017

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Gee. Brodie Clark got £225,000.

Well done, Theresa.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"The Brexit plan is to simplify the existing system making sure it always pays to talk bollox and not have a clue.It is running on time and in budget and will accue savings of £345 trillion once fully rolled out"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Re the "Starmer at odds with McDonnell" business.

The really interesting thing isn't even that KS was willing to serve under a re-elected Corbyn, but that JC appointed him to that highly significant SC position in the first place (rather than somebody more "reliable") For all his long standing Eurosceptic tendencies, Jez has never come out with anything as crass as J McD's "Brexit is a fantastic opportunity" Lexit nonsense and I suspect he is prepared to be fairly pragmatic on this.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects Jan 2
London // Satisfaction with Sadiq Khan as Mayor of London:
Satisfied: 42%
Dissatisfied: 11%
(via YouGov / 19-22 Dec)

Coup plotting Blairites not hurting Sadiq's numbers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Maybe because - and this is taking a wild stab in the dark and everything - they haven't actually been plotting against HIM??

Not really one of your best, Tubs :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Re the "Starmer at odds with McDonnell" business.

The really interesting thing isn't even that KS was willing to serve under a re-elected Corbyn, but that JC appointed him to that highly significant SC position in the first place (rather than somebody more "reliable") For all his long standing Eurosceptic tendencies, Jez has never come out with anything as crass as J McD's "Brexit is a fantastic opportunity" Lexit nonsense and I suspect he is prepared to be fairly pragmatic on this.
I agree. Apart from the general issues with Jez, we could do much worse than him on Brexit and appointing Starmer was good. I think he'll be better when he drops the state subsidies he's mentioned a couple of times. For one thing, it's completely contradictory with the rhetoric on "corporate subsidies" which has been coming out of his office. Unless he proposes subsidies for Aunty Flo's Flower Shop.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Maybe because - and this is taking a wild stab in the dark and everything - they haven't actually been plotting against HIM??

Not really one of your best, Tubs :)
Maybe, but above all he's not worth plotting against.

Among other things, Khan can do photo ops on trains without making a complete mess of them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Though I have noticed "ram packed" starting to pass into general usage - maybe one of the most lasting Corbyn legacies? ;)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Unfortunately, better railways won't be one of Corbyn's legacies. George Osborne's city regions are likely to have more of an impact than anything Corbyn comes out with.

I realised the other day that the SNP's main rail policy at the moment is to get away from Network Rail because they're incompetent and have their own body. Corbyn wants Network Rail running the whole system.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

yes he has. On the day after the referendum he twice called for Art 50 to be triggered immediately (on Sky and Radio 4). This was the immediate trigger for the 'coup'.

And it wasn't significant. Corbyn appointed everyone willing to serve. He hasn't got the bodies to fill all the posts, which is why the shadow cabinet has such an insignificant profile, it is full of nobodies.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It's that time of year again. Girls sent home from school for skirts being too short.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ort-skirts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parents of pupils at Ebbsfleet Academy can have them educated elsewhere if they object to the uniform rules, says principal
I hope not. I'm not having my tax spent on pointless surplus places. Sort yourself out. As an ex-teacher I know said, "Get em in, and get on with it" and you shouldn't have too many problems.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I agree. Apart from the general issues with Jez, we could do much worse than him on Brexit and appointing Starmer was good. I think he'll be better when he drops the state subsidies he's mentioned a couple of times. For one thing, it's completely contradictory with the rhetoric on "corporate subsidies" which has been coming out of his office. Unless he proposes subsidies for Aunty Flo's Flower Shop.

Don't you get it? We should be subsidising nice corporations that bang together bits of metal, and not nasty ones that move electronic money about. Do keep up.

Starmer has a big open goal to aim at. He should be doing a lot better, even if he is hobbled by the position he finds himself in.

Without the goodwill to make a go of it that there was in 2015, and with the deep split on Europe between the Corbyn/McDonnell and the PLP, the idea that Labour's performance in 2017 will now improve is a bit far-fetched.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Am I reading this right?

http://www.education.gov.uk/edubase/est ... urn=131276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's still got the headteacher it had when it was regarded as a failing school.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Don't you get it? We should be subsidising nice corporations that bang together bits of metal, and not nasty ones that move electronic money about. Do keep up.

Starmer has a big open goal to aim at. He should be doing a lot better, even if he is hobbled by the position he finds himself in.

Without the goodwill to make a go of it that there was in 2015, and with the deep split on Europe between the Corbyn/McDonnell and the PLP, the idea that Labour's performance in 2017 will now improve is a bit far-fetched.
I think Jez is having to make up for 30 years where he did no work at all on the EU because Tony Benn told him it was capitalist. But agree with Anatoly that apart from the Article 50 misstep, he seems to be basically OK. Lots in the PLP, with their immigration bollocks are far, far worse.

Policymaking will have to get beyond slogans, so the mixed up stuff about subsidies will need fleshing out, and ought to improve. Somebody will get through to Jez that you can help metal bashers within the Single Market framework, maybe the Welsh Government who look at this stuff all the time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The Mail:
Quote:
Mr Powell, who was being interviewed alongside the former Tory leader, burst out laughing during the live Today programme feature.

Brexit backers reacted with fury today amid growing criticism of Sir Ivan for the manner of his early resignation.

Asked if he knew what the government's Brexit objective was, Mr Duncan Smith replied: 'Yes, it's very simple, we are leaving the European Union.'

Mr Powell interrupted the Vote Leave campaigner, who then continued: 'It’s absolutely clear. We are leaving the rule of European law.

'We are taking back control of our borders. And we will then look to make arrangements with European Union over what kind of trading system.'

Tory MP Andrew Bridgen told MailOnline: 'I think he is tainted with Tony Blair's brush.

'He is laughing at the will of the British people - that is to leave the European Union.'
Laughing at IDS, more like. He should have laughed a bit more once IDS announced we were leaving the Single Market there. That isn't "absolutely clear" at all.

Jonathan Powell was deeply involved with the Northern Ireland talks. No wonder he shits himself laughing at this bunch of amateurs.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I agree. Apart from the general issues with Jez, we could do much worse than him on Brexit and appointing Starmer was good. I think he'll be better when he drops the state subsidies he's mentioned a couple of times. For one thing, it's completely contradictory with the rhetoric on "corporate subsidies" which has been coming out of his office. Unless he proposes subsidies for Aunty Flo's Flower Shop.

I think Jez is having to make up for 30 years where he did no work at all on the EU because Tony Benn told him it was capitalist. But agree with Anatoly that apart from the Article 50 misstep, he seems to be basically OK. Lots in the PLP, with their immigration bollocks are far, far worse.

Policymaking will have to get beyond slogans, so the mixed up stuff about subsidies will need fleshing out, and ought to improve. Somebody will get through to Jez that you can help metal bashers within the Single Market framework, maybe the Welsh Government who look at this stuff all the time.

I agree that the 'moderates' stuff on immigration has been a complete disgrace, see this from Starmer

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 04331.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

no part of the Labour party speaks for me now. There can't be a Labour uptick until Europe stops being an issue.

I don't agree that Corbyn has been basically ok. He is a Lexiter, see the new year message for another example. We can judge what he thinks from those closest to him who he appoints (all hard left Lexiters).

We'll be leaving the single market. It is both Labour and Tory policy to seek meaningless 'access' and so that is that.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://democracyjournal.org/arguments/a ... -millions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hillary Clinton’s new plan for poor people isn’t huge, but it’s reasonable and practicable and would improve millions of lives.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Truss orders review to ban abusers tormenting victims in family courts
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Starmer didn't say all that much there though. Sounds like the point was to play up a division with Jez more than anything, which might be an idea in terms of his broader standing, even if it's a phantom "problem".

Something like the Swiss compromise would work, by the sound of that. This is something that's already going to happen, and apparently isn't complicated to bring in. Had Cameron been half-competent, it might have been a long term objective for British renegotiation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm not aware that eg Andrew Fisher is a Lexiter, or Katy Clark, despite some ill-informed bollocks she's said to have come out with after the result. Corbyn's allies just seem to be moaners about "neo-liberals" and advocates for free money for Greek government jokers. Which isn't very good, but not Lexit.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

George Parker
‏@GeorgeWParker

FT Ex: Sir Tim Barrow, former UK Moscow ambo, set to be named successor to Sir Ivan Rogers in Brussels - sources. big win for FCO
And...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Barrow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sir Timothy Earle Barrow KCMG, LVO, MBE (born 15 February 1964) is a British diplomat who was Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the Russian Federation 2011–2015. He previously served in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, as a representative to various bodies of the European Union, and as British Ambassador to Ukraine 2006–2008. He is tipped to become the UKs new ambassador to the EU following the resignation of Sir Ivan Rogers on 3rd January 2017.
Oh dear, Leavers won't like that - a career diplomat being appointed to a diplomatic position!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Starmer didn't say all that much there though. Sounds like the point was to play up a division with Jez more than anything, which might be an idea in terms of his broader standing, even if it's a phantom "problem".

Something like the Swiss compromise would work, by the sound of that. This is something that's already going to happen, and apparently isn't complicated to bring in. Had Cameron been half-competent, it might have been a long term objective for British renegotiation.

I don't think the Swiss compromise is viable no. We'll be leaving the single market.

Rogers is getting stick for not negotiating a better deal for Cameron, but I don't think one was viable.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... 1f977da55d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Charleston church shooter: ‘I would like to make it crystal clear, I do not regret what I did’
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The fault with Cameron was trying to do far too much he couldn't control in too short a period. Nobody is going to get changes like he wanted agreed at gunpoint in one go with no allies.

I didn't think the EU would give Switzerland a way out with the compromise it did- they had Switzerland by the short and curlies. Making Switzerland panic for 2 years while they squeezed Swiss banking was considered enough. Maybe they just wanted Switzerland off their desk, but I don't see why Britain (after a suitable period) couldn't get the same deal as part of Soft Brexit.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm not aware that eg Andrew Fisher is a Lexiter, or Katy Clark, despite some ill-informed bollocks she's said to have come out with after the result. Corbyn's allies just seem to be moaners about "neo-liberals" and advocates for free money for Greek government jokers. Which isn't very good, but not Lexit.

You mean this:

"It was the right thing to do, because we distinguish ourselves from the capitalist case for leaving, and even if we leave, we’ll be out of that capitalist thing."

I believe it. I believe that is a widespread view among that wing of the left. The EU is seen as a capitalist ramp. Corbyn hasn't changed his mind about anything in 40 years, and I don't think the EU is an exception to that.

Barrow's appointment looks sensible. May may not be any good, but she does follow the rules. Sacrificing civil service independence by choosing a Brexiter would have been a disgrace.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:It's that time of year again. Girls sent home from school for skirts being too short.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... ort-skirts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parents of pupils at Ebbsfleet Academy can have them educated elsewhere if they object to the uniform rules, says principal
I hope not. I'm not having my tax spent on pointless surplus places. Sort yourself out. As an ex-teacher I know said, "Get em in, and get on with it" and you shouldn't have too many problems.
The skirts in question don't even look that short to me. I think they all look very smart. And as for skirts having to be "A-line or pleated" - where exactly are parents supposed to acquire such attire? Via a time machine back to the 1970s?!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:The fault with Cameron was trying to do far too much he couldn't control in too short a period. Nobody is going to get changes like he wanted agreed at gunpoint in one go with no allies.

I didn't think the EU would give Switzerland a way out with the compromise it did- they had Switzerland by the short and curlies. Making Switzerland panic for 2 years while they squeezed Swiss banking was considered enough. Maybe they just wanted Switzerland off their desk, but I don't see why Britain (after a suitable period) couldn't get the same deal as part of Soft Brexit.

A lack of competent politicians in the UK government would be the main barrier to achieving such a deal and that's assuming Theresa "Brexit means Brexit" May even wants a Soft Brexit. It's possible the Tories still consider Ukip the bigger threat, comfortable with losing some soft Brexit votes to the Libdems as long as Labour remain in the doldrums. A hard Brexit still seems more than possible to me, unless more of an effort is made to win the arguments for seeking to remain in the single market.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -law-first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Pence promises Obamacare repeal but shares few details on alternative
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -al-sharif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sraeli soldier convicted over killing of wounded Palestinian attacker
Manslaughter verdict for Sgt Elor Azaria over killing of Abdel Fattah al-Sharif follows trial that laid bare deep divisions in Israeli society
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm not aware that eg Andrew Fisher is a Lexiter, or Katy Clark, despite some ill-informed bollocks she's said to have come out with after the result. Corbyn's allies just seem to be moaners about "neo-liberals" and advocates for free money for Greek government jokers. Which isn't very good, but not Lexit.

You mean this:

"It was the right thing to do, because we distinguish ourselves from the capitalist case for leaving, and even if we leave, we’ll be out of that capitalist thing."

I believe it. I believe that is a widespread view among that wing of the left. The EU is seen as a capitalist ramp. Corbyn hasn't changed his mind about anything in 40 years, and I don't think the EU is an exception to that.

Barrow's appointment looks sensible. May may not be any good, but she does follow the rules. Sacrificing civil service independence by choosing a Brexiter would have been a disgrace.
Yeah, I mean that from Clark. It's not Lexit and I can't recall her being a Lexiter before. It's ignorance of what being outside the Single Market means, but they'll find out soon enough. I'm hopeful that without the immigration blinkers they'll be OK.

The younger Corbynites aren't Lexiters. Someone I know off another board came across Lewis in East of England campaigns. He was apparently good, and my pal is very strongly pro-EU, with an MA that had loads on it.

May recruited Giles Wilkes, so she can listen to advice, look outside the tent.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care ... t-be-messy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For change in social care to bring value, it must be messy
Alex Fox(CEO Shared Lives)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:The fault with Cameron was trying to do far too much he couldn't control in too short a period. Nobody is going to get changes like he wanted agreed at gunpoint in one go with no allies.

A lack of competent politicians in the UK government would be the main barrier to achieving such a deal and that's assuming Theresa "Brexit means Brexit" May even wants a Soft Brexit. It's possible the Tories still consider Ukip the bigger threat, comfortable with losing some soft Brexit votes to the Libdems as long as Labour remain in the doldrums. A hard Brexit still seems more than possible to me, unless more of an effort is made to win the arguments for seeking to remain in the single market.
I'm not really presupposing much deal making skill in politicians. I'm thinking more of negotiations dragging on, to nobody's great joy, and somebody like Verhofstadt saying "you know what? would this be any good?" Tory MPs would probably bite your hand off.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... re-workers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sweden sees benefits of six-hour working day in trial for care workers
Two-year experiment at Gothenburg retirement home had economic cost but cut sick leave and improved staff wellbeing
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:It's that time of year again. Girls sent home from school for skirts being too short.

The skirts in question don't even look that short to me. I think they all look very smart. And as for skirts having to be "A-line or pleated" - where exactly are parents supposed to acquire such attire? Via a time machine back to the 1970s?!
Yeah, I thought the same. You can see why schools don't want their pupils looking like they're on a night out in Newcastle, but they look fine to me.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/2 ... l-housing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bradford’s Pre-1914 Council Housing: a ‘victory in one of the earliest of conflicts between property and life’
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@StephenDolan

Thank you for the link to the article posted yesterday. It's not been far from my thoughts since I've
read it though I've had other things going on. It's the answer to cynical abuse insisting it's acceptable.

"Tolerance is not a moral absolute; it is a peace treaty."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jeez.
In successive interviews Iain Duncan Smith, the former work and pensions secretary, claimed that Rogers had a role in information embarrassing to ministers being leaked, that he was not trusted, and that he was kept out of the loop.
He better be sure about that. Could be a libel action. IDS can appoint Peter Lilley as the world's shittest barrister.
This letter was clearly intended and inevitably going to leak because he sent it to all his staff as an email, and it is written in a tone which is really designed for publication. So we know that at least one of his two leaked emails was made in a way that was designed to become public.
We can be sure Theresa May wouldn't want to force out a civil servant who stood up to her. Oh hang on...
On 8 November 2011 [Brodie] Clark formally resigned from the UK Border Agency insisting that comments made by the Home Secretary, Theresa May amounted to constructive dismissal and that he would launch legal proceedings.[9]

In mid-March 2012, it was reported that Mr Clark had reached an out-of-court settlement with the Home Office
For £225k. h/t to Stephen Dolan there.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... CMP=twt_gu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Walk like a penguin to avoid slipping on ice, German doctors advise

I already do.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:https://municipaldreams.wordpress.com/2 ... l-housing/

Bradford’s Pre-1914 Council Housing: a ‘victory in one of the earliest of conflicts between property and life’
Frederick William Jowett [FW (‘Fred’) Jowett] was a British Labour politician.

I don't know much else about Jowett but what I've read in the article. I like him a lot for this work.
This is it, this is a life well lived. It's as good as it gets. It's heroic getting decent, affordable homes
built for over a thousand people formerly living in dilapidated, miserable conditions.

Life will knock a few out of greater leadership roles but good work is accomplished on less grand scales.
Like Dorothea in Middlemarch
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

When the Labour party splits, too many people suffer
Let's think this through...
People wanting 'Brexit' and people who don't
Those two groups of people have a profound difference of opinion, irreconcilable, even
Is that kind of difference existing within the Labour party?
I don't think so
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear...
Nicholas Soames ‏@nsoamesmp 14m14 minutes ago

IDS attack on Ivan Rogers unforgivable am ashamed a colleague could be so ignorant and rude about an Official of such distinction #buttonup
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Willow904
Disturbing reading, the private ambulance car sent for your kin and failing him
That won't do at all
I've lived in the US and never worried about proper help showing up, qualified emergency personnel were available
It's expensive though, paramedics' assessment and transportation, some healthcare insurance companies didn't cover it
I've not lived there for many years now so that might be changed now

edited for clarification
It wasn't rare for people refusing being taken to the hospital because of the cost
I read this post back and don't care for it very much
I'm having trouble making a coherent point
Last edited by citizenJA on Wed 04 Jan, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

This reinvented wheelchair is just incredible.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...
Nicholas Soames ‏@nsoamesmp 14m14 minutes ago

IDS attack on Ivan Rogers unforgivable am ashamed a colleague could be so ignorant and rude about an Official of such distinction #buttonup
The Tory party and it's UKIP contingent are fundamentally ignorant and rude
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:This reinvented wheelchair is just incredible.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mashable is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company.