Thursday 27th November 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 27th November 2014

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Newton Dunn @tnewtondunn · 4h 4 hours ago
Latest immigration figs a total disaster for Govt: EU up 45,000, but worse is non-EU up 30,000 too - ie the ones PM said were under control.
:lol: I know I shouldn't laugh ... but come on .... I can't stop myself.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Danny Shaw ✔ @DannyShawBBC
Follow
Glum and worried faces on Mitchell row in court. #plebgate
3:15 PM - 27 Nov 2014
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:I don't know if anyone's posted this before, apols if so.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2014 ... you-to-see" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; from Richard Murphy.

It's got a lovely colourful pie chart, all split up with the (real) categories in detail. With a written explanation of how he worked it all out.

The truth - pensions: 12.2%; specific non-unemployment benefits: 14.2%; unemployment benefits; 0.6% - of total spending of our tax.

I've Tweeted this, but I'd be grateful if a few more of you did the same. It would be nice to have an alternative pie to enjoy!
The direct pie chart image is a work of art. Thank you, my friend.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/wp-c ... .41.00.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick

Andrew Mitchell did say pleb, on balance, says judge
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karen McVeigh @karenmcveigh1

"I'm satisfied that Mitchell did speak the words attributed to him including the politically toxic words" Judge #plebgate
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Why on earth did Mitchell want to take this through the courts?

This is double or treble, hubris.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Robinson @bbcnickrobinson

Mitchell loses plebgate case. Was an argument about one word worth a career, a reputation and a fortune?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Expecting a huge media backlash at Ed and Labour now ...

1. Tories lost Rochester & Strood
2. Cameron completely and spectacularly broke promise on net immigration
3. IDS and universal credit completely discredited
4. European Arrest Warrant debacle
5. Osborne and budget deficit huge fail ...
6. David Mellor and black cab rant
7. Army reservists recruitment .... utterly dire ... only 20 recruited in an entire year
drum roll .......
8. Plebgate back in the news

So a wonderful week or two for Cameron and the Tories ... no crisis, incompetence or lack of confidence whatsoever.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

OpenSeas, I used to think Cap'n Jack had some bewildered charm. I can handle a good-hearted person I can't agree with. It's the personal nastiness that takes negotiation & communication off the table.

Skipper, no one on FlytheNest has ever been personally disrespectful to me. If all those posting elsewhere have is ugly rudeness, it's not a political or social affiliation I want to be part of. It's not too much to ask those who've different views to refrain from behaving like our current Prime Minister during question time.
- Rachel Reeves 27 November 2014

“David Cameron and Theresa May have simply ramped up the rhetoric without ever bringing in practical measures to address the impact of immigration or make the system fair. That has deeply damaged confidence in the whole system and proved divisive too. Their strategy is failing and their false promises ring hollow. They need to stop taking people for fools and set out a sensible debate with practical policies instead.”

“Immigration needs to be controlled and managed because it is important to Britain but the system needs to be fair. A Labour Government will get a grip of our borders with 1,000 more staff, stronger enforcement to stop employers exploiting cheap migrant labour to undercut wages and jobs, new rules to make sure people contribute first and can’t claim benefits until they have lived here for two years, and pursue European reform to strengthen transitional controls and change child benefit rules. We would bring in different controls and targets for different kinds of immigration so we can cut illegal immigration, reduce low skilled migration but still get the University students who benefit Britain."

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1037164 ... -migration" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't thank my friends here enough for treating me with respect even when they may disagree with me. Thank you.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

That poll by Ashcroft on Doncaster N asks us to believe that Labour support has dropped by seven points since the 2010 GE whilst the Tory score is actually *up* - despite the surge for UKIP in the meantime.

Don't mind the noble Lord's polling in general, but I smell bull***t here :evil:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Karl Turner MP ‏@KarlTurnerMP 3m3 minutes ago
Plebs 1 Toff NIL
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Why on earth did Mitchell want to take this through the courts?

Ah well, he's had his day in court...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Why on earth did Mitchell want to take this through the courts?

He sure has ... just reading on Sparrow's blog that costs are estimated to have run to 1m ................... Look's like he's going to regret this day in court rather bitterly and at some length.

Editing to add: They're now saying costs could actually be 2m - 3m. Even worse.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Thu 27 Nov, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:The Smith Commission Report is here:
https://www.smith-commission.scot/wp-co ... port-1.pdf
Morning all.

Haven't read the report yet but there's (imo) a fundamental error in logic in the second paragraph.
Scotland voted ‘No’, but it did so with each of the three main UK parties promising more powers for the Scottish Parliament.
The outcome of the vote is, of course, irrefutable but the idea that the promise of more powers in some way influenced the result is, as far as I am aware, unproven. The only conclusion that can be drawn from the referendum is that the majority of Scottish residents wish to remain in the UK - nothing more or less.
I need to write my thoughts here - you're absolutely correct, Eric.

The report shouldn't have attempted to combine the thoughts of my Scottish friends with the promises, pledges, oaths made by government prior to their voting on the issue below.

My friends in Scotland voted YES or NO when each were asked - "Should Scotland be an independent country".
An electorate turnout of 84.6%, 3,619,915 people, gave our country their responses.

Every promise government made to Scotland before that vote must be fulfilled regardless of the result. To do otherwise leaves government prone to reap the personal consequences of infamous conduct.
Scottish Independence Referendum 2014

No - 55.3% 2,001,926
Yes - 44.7% 1,617,989

http://www.ukpolitical.info/scottish-in ... rendum.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
edited here to add - I'm specifically referring to the inappropriate hypothesising of the thoughts, motivations & consciences of Scottish voters
Scotland voted ‘No’, but it did so with each of the three main UK parties promising more powers for the Scottish Parliament.
That's not ours to know, nor does it advance anything of value - it muddies the waters.
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 27 Nov, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Montgomerie ن​​ @montie · 31m 31 minutes ago
I still don't think Andrew Mitchell said pleb and he was certainly a superb international development secretary. A personal tragedy.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Do you think Michael Crick might start crying, on C4 news tonight?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:Do you think Michael Crick might start crying, on C4 news tonight?
Is he a friend of Mitchell?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

He sure has ... just reading on Sparrow's blog that costs are estimated to have run to 1m ................... Look's like he's going to regret this day in court rather bitterly and at some length.
Oh, rapture - Mitchell has to pay the court costs & arrogance fees! I'm glad.

There are over seven billion human beings I share the world with at this time. I can't get to know them all. I'll do what I'm able to do where I'm at. I remind myself everyday, at least once a day, every single human being is priceless, irreplaceable & have the same claim we all share to respect, dignified treatment, assistance & cooperation.

I like some people more than others though. That's to be expected.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tim Montgomerie ن​​ @montie · 31m 31 minutes ago
I still don't think Andrew Mitchell said pleb and he was certainly a superb international development secretary. A personal tragedy.
Oh for chrissake
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sheila Gilmore ‏@SheilaGilmoreMP 9m9 minutes ago
Paying sick/disabled people ESA throughout appeals process won't cost extra cash, but Tories have still said no: http://goo.gl/L4MrQ5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
refitman wrote:Do you think Michael Crick might start crying, on C4 news tonight?
He's been carrying out a one-man "Save Andrew" campaign, including showing some CCTV from Downing street that didn't seem to prove anything, one way or another, but Crick swore it meant that Mitchell didn't have time to call the police "Plebs".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sheila Gilmore ‏@SheilaGilmoreMP 9m9 minutes ago
Paying sick/disabled people ESA throughout appeals process won't cost extra cash, but Tories have still said no: http://goo.gl/L4MrQ5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Will Mitchell decline to pay his debts to society too?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Martin Rowson @MartinRowson · 43m 43 minutes ago
Met #AndrewMitchell briefly last year at Political Cartoon Awards. Told him he was lucky he wasn't Mark Duggan. Looked slightly thoughtful..
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

Jesus, that reminds me of something I've read recently - it was a manifesto or standard note, or policy paper I was horrified by - the author(s) stated a democracy doesn't need an independent judiciary. Does that ring any bells with anyone?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
He's been carrying out a one-man "Save Andrew" campaign, including showing some CCTV from Downing street that didn't seem to prove anything, one way or another, but Crick swore it meant that Mitchell didn't have time to call the police "Plebs".
Oh dear. I hope there aren't any friends of Mitchell out there who encouraged him to go to court ... they'll be feeling pretty bad now if so.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Scotland will be able to set its own air passenger duty.

Watch that head below rUK's, in that progressive way of theirs.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

http://rosslydall.wordpress.com/2014/11 ... ern-to-me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boris Johnson has warned Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt the London Ambulance Service is facing a winter crisis due to a soaring number of 999 calls and dire staff shortages.
Look over there at Wales!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3h 3 hours ago
A big story from @LordAshcroft 's latest is willingness by 24% of LAB voters to switch to LDs to beat the Tories.

Big picture from latest @LordAshcroft polling is that CON going to struggle to make the gains from LDs that national surveys suggest
Thank goodness that's not a choice I have to make when voting here.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:Morning. Tories lead at 1 point on Yougov:

Latest YouGov / The Sun results 26th November -

Con 33%, (+1)
Lab 32%, (-1)
LD 6%, (-1)
UKIP 16%; (no change)
Grn 7%, (+1)

APP -26 (-4)
How can this be credible?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Anyone else having trouble with Twitter?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

BBC QT tonight
Panellists in Romford include Michael Gove, Chuka Umunna, Norman Baker and Jo Brand.
Should be fun,,,,
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Anyone else having trouble with Twitter?
Will go check, but was all ok earlier....

runs back in...
Still ok for me..what problem you having ?
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Thu 27 Nov, 2014 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Ridley ‏@RidleyWasRight 3h3 hours ago
@DPJHodges Ashcroft poll today Labour a poor 3rd in Must Win seat Watford

Dan HodgesVerified account
‏@DPJHodges
@RidleyWasRight Labour are done.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
A big story from @LordAshcroft 's latest is willingness by 24% of LAB voters to switch to LDs to beat the Tories.

Big picture from latest @LordAshcroft polling is that CON going to struggle to make the gains from LDs that national surveys suggest

Tactical voting has implications when there could be another hung Parliament.
Can see why a Lib Dem is preferable to a Tory, but if Labour's total vote share is lower than the
Tories it'll give Clegg the excuse to support the Tories again.
DonutHingeParty
Committee Chair

Post by DonutHingeParty »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Is he a friend of Mitchell?
Oh dear. I hope there aren't any friends of Mitchell out there who encouraged him to go to court ... they'll be feeling pretty bad now if so.
I'm not going to shed too many tears. Warning, contains Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... pp-ex.html
Mr Mitchell, 56, claims he was always destined to pursue a career in politics from an early age.
He grew up in an affluent household in Hampshire. His father, Sir David, was a minister in Margaret Thatcher’s government. He had two 18th century ancestors who were MPs for the Liberal Party.

Educated at Rugby school, he was nicknamed ‘Thrasher’ when he was head of house because he was a stern disciplinarian. He went to Cambridge, where he studied history, and was President of the Union in 1978, the year before Margaret Thatcher came to power.

After a spell at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst he served briefly in the Royal Tank Regiment before joining Lazard, the investment bank, working with British companies seeking large-scale overseas contracts.

In the same interview Mitchell said: ‘The best advice I got was, if you want to go into politics do something else first. I joined Lazard the investment bank. I became a member of the two most hated professions in the country – bankers and politicians.’

He held a number of senior posts for Lazard in Africa and the Far East, and was highly successful. He now lives in a £3million house in one of the most fashionable squares in Islington, North London, with his wife Sharon, a doctor, and their two daughters.

He also has a £500,000 property in his Sutton Coldfield constituency and a house in the French ski resort of Val d’Isere which he lets out.

Until a year before the general election, he was raking in hundreds of thousands of pounds on top of his £64,000 MP’s salary. He was a director of no fewer than six subsidiaries of Lazard, he worked for a City PR firm, and had a £40,000 post with a firm of management consultants.

In 2009 it was revealed he claimed £19,000 for furnishing and decorating his constituency home.

Mitchell’s wealth is not just the result of his lucrative work in the City. In 1879, his forebears founded El Vino wine merchants, which has two wine bars in London and which have long been the favoured watering hole of lawyers, journalists and City types.

In 2002 El Vino was sold in a £7million deal and Andrew Mitchell reportedly pocketed £630,000 from his 9 per cent stake.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ah, some good news, Ashcroft poll shows UKIP in second place to the Tories in Thanet South where Farage is standing. Five points behind, was leading by four in the summer.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory MP Karl McCartney favourites NSFW bondage image of naked woman, denies all knowledge
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 87409.html
Twitter seems to be a minefield. First Rachel Johnson's account used to call 'our Leader' all sorts ... and now this. Social media is certainly hotting things up for this next election.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Tactical voting has implications when there could be another hung Parliament.
Can see why a Lib Dem is preferable to a Tory, but if Labour's total vote share is lower than the
Tories it'll give Clegg the excuse to support the Tories again.
Yes - that's a good point. Having thought about this particular choice - LD or Tory - I realise it's not really a choice anyway - they're both Tories in my book - so I would decide to vote for Labour anyway, even if it was nowhere in the running.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 10m 10 minutes ago
One good thing about Plebgate is that in the course of writing about it I became friends with a good, honorable man called Andrew Mitchell.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Busy Nottingham food bank to close in protest at harsh council cuts
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 85641.html
A busy food bank is shutting down in protest against the local council allegedly using its existence as a reason to deny hardship funds to local people who cannot afford to pay for basics.

The NG7 food bank in Nottingham has fed more than 5,000 people since it opened two and a half years ago. But it will shut its doors after Christmas because the organisers are upset that the city council is justifying welfare cuts on the grounds that desperate people can turn to food banks instead.

The volunteers behind the food bank say that “other approaches” are now required to help those in need without legitimising council spending cuts. “The setting up and development of this food bank has been underpinned by a specific ethos. In particular, we have been concerned with the way punitive welfare reforms and further draconian immigration policy has affected already vulnerable groups,” the food bank said in a statement issued this week.

“Regrettably and disappointingly, in meeting with senior NCC [Nottingham City Council] managers they have advocated the co-opting of food banks, as part of their strategies in avoidance of using their own funds.

“Given these facts and despite our best ongoing efforts, we have recognised that we are not being used as a temporary service of last resort, but rather being seen as a part of the long term strategy of replacement for statutory services, who have a duty and the resources to address a large part of the need.”...
This awful situation was sort of inevitable ... both foodbank and council caught between a rock and a hard place. And all the while the DWP and coalition vultures refuse to acknowledge the link between food banks and cuts, food banks and their policies.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Thu 27 Nov, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Don't forget his friend, David Davis MP who every time plebgate was mentioned, went running to every available tv studio to defend Mitchell.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tristram Hunt ‏@TristramHuntMP 2m2 minutes ago
Typical response from Paul Dacre to my new policy: Mail on Sunday currently creeping around my old school trying to get teachers to talk...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

On Mitchell let's not forget the, I think, unanswered questions about aid to Rwanda!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Mitchell had a 17,000 majority in 2010.

Huge task to overturn but losing this libel case might have him thinking about his seat.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:Mitchell had a 17,000 majority in 2010.

Huge task to overturn but losing this libel case might have him thinking about his seat.
Might fancy making money full time?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Remember all those ciffers that said he would never have uttered that phrase & how nasty we all were for assuming that he did ?

Justice Mitting has exonerated us today :D
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

pk1 wrote:
danesclose wrote:Morning all.
New Statesman has just tweeted:
Net migration to UK now 260,000 - higher than in Labour's last year in office. Cameron previously pledged to cut it to "tens of thousands".
Blimey, that's a huge increase on the last set of figures isn't it ? IIRC the last set said 243,000.

Oh dear, Dave :rofl:
And it is both EU and non-EU immigration that is rising. At the same time, emigration, which had fallen quite steeply, has only risen very slowly.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

& don't forget those Tories who demanded Ed apologise for his 'role' in bringing Mitchell down.

David Davis should apologise to Ed now.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... esign.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Michael Sylvain's posted his QT preview, over at the Graun (http://discussion.theguardian.com/comme ... k/44259080" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I presume it's on his site as well. I will just copy over the pannelist descriptions, because they made me chuckle:

Michael Gove MP (spite-weasel)
Chuka Umunna MP (absence-of-content-provider)
Norman Baker MP (rheumy-eyed dissemblist)
Jo Brand (meta-panelist)
Amanda Platell (scapegoatising guffrag engine)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Good post from Tim Fenton.

Owen Jones, so it seems, doesn't know anything about railways.

http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2014/ ... ilway.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;