sat 25 and sun 26 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Re: sat 25 and sun 26 April

Post by StephenDolan »

BBC news 24 showed the Cameron West Ham clip. Excellent. :rofl:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:More evidence that the DfE simply rushed at breakneck speed to get academies sponsored by chains and weren't too fussed about where they went even if it mean chains had schools all over the place.

Largest academy chain offloads eight schools

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/largest-academ ... t-schools/
The largest academy chain in the country has transferred eight schools from its control, blaming their “geographic isolation”.
The Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) has been handing over the schools to local sponsors since December.

The relinquished schools are East Point Academy in Lowestoft; Childwall Sports & Science Academy in Liverpool; Oaks, Tree Tops and Molehill Copse Primary Academies, Kent; Northamptonshire’s The Duston School; and Peak and Greenfield Academies in Gloucestershire. Statements from the trust say that all eight schools were handed to new sponsors because they were “geographically isolated” from the trust’s other schools.

Schools minister Lord Nash has, in the past, stated a preference for schools in academy chains to be within an hour’s drive of each other. And last year, the education select committee said academy chains performed better in geographic clusters.
Quite agree Lord Nash - makes no sense whatsoever for a chain to have schools in all 9 government regions. In fact even now and after these transfers AET have schools in 8 regions.

Just a shame that you weren't at the DfE and could have stopped this happening...oh hang on...

:toss:
It almost makes you wish that there was a system in place that could oversee schools on a regional / local area basis, doesn't it? Oh hang on ... (to use your phrase) ... that would be local education authorities then.
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

While I'm on the subject of schools...I see that there's a letter to The Times urging the next government to allow parents to continue to set up free schools.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/education ... 422096.ece

Nice picture of ex-Harrow School HT Barnaby Lenon...what does he do again?

Oh, trustee of the New Schools Network whose funding Tristram Hunt has said he'll cut...funny that.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:For those involved on election day getting the vote out, what typically happens regarding those living in retirement homes?
Good question... My uncle's in a nursing home. I asked him if they'd made arrangements for him to vote. He said no. He's sometimes muddled but was on one of his good days when we visited him during the week. There are a lot of residents there; some are obviously not up to bothering, but even so the owners should make sure that they or their family can make arrangements and are registered.

Not sure who you'd ask.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry about this. I must be having a particularly puerile morning ...
Cameron Tries To Live As A Normal Person.jpg
Cameron Tries To Live As A Normal Person.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 8045 times
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Sorry about this. I must be having a particularly puerile morning ...
It made me chuckle..... :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

One for PfY. Don't give up hoping.
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3h 3 hours ago
In @LordAshcroft Colne Valley poll LAB was just ahead of CON before application of turnout weighting adjustment and don't know reallocation
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Anyway, the big news this morning is that Dave has forgotten what football team he "supports". I expect this one will go viral :D
And how!!
Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk · 25s25 seconds ago
West Ham play Burnley today. That’s going to be f**king minefield for David Cameron that one
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Re. the Ashcroft polling, see my suggestion last night as to why publication was delayed. QED I suspect.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

The death threat to Anas Sarwar has been made public:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... et-5577883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shocking !
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 3h 3 hours ago
I expect that Cameron clip has made football fanatic Gordon Brown's morning. "I always knew he wasn't a real fan!"
Good. I like to think that something about this wretched Tory campaign will cheer Gordon Brown up ... please have a good chuckle Gordon.

And I am enjoying posting things about football that are entirely legitimate ... ha, and I'm not a footie afficionado or fan even.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

The football thing is a big deal.

Nobody but nobody would do that unless they had manufactured a lie about what team they supported. If Cameron is prepared to lie about something as trivial as that, what else is he telling lies about (answer everything).

Or put it another way, what Dave is thinking when giving that speech.

"Must maintain human form, must maintain human form - Doh!!!!"

Actually could a Empty Dave Tweet

Going to the footy later with the lads. Watching Western Villa in the Premier Cup.
Release the Guardvarks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

pk1 wrote:The death threat to Anas Sarwar has been made public:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/polit ... et-5577883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shocking !
CyberNats are doubtless already chanting "FALSE FLAG!!" and "MI5!!" in unison :roll: :toss:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Re. the Ashcroft polling, see my suggestion last night as to why publication was delayed. QED I suspect.
No Ashcroft basically fell asleep. I think by his own admission you can't tell much from these seats. It will come down to turn out.
Release the Guardvarks.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

BBC have put up the video of Cameron's West Villa cock-up:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2015-32462250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

hadn't seen this one
[youtube]rxBMT0rH9hU[/youtube]
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

....and in true twitter style #villagate is now trending
https://twitter.com/hashtag/villagate?src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:The football thing is a big deal.

Nobody but nobody would do that unless they had manufactured a lie about what team they supported. If Cameron is prepared to lie about something as trivial as that, what else is he telling lies about (answer everything).

Going to the footy later with the lads. Watching Western Villa in the Premier Cup.
Have modified it slightly:
Attachments
WestVilla.png
WestVilla.png (10.5 KiB) Viewed 7985 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I know it's a big deal & I'm delighted by Dave exposing himself as a fraud some more. I may not follow sporting events personally, but I know the importance.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:

I know it's a big deal & I'm delighted by Dave exposing himself as a fraud some more. I may not follow sporting events personally, but I know the importance.
As MrAAW said "bloody hell! you forget your wife's name before you forget your team" !
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sky News ‏@SkyNews 4m4 minutes ago
"You're wasting your precious interview time" - David Cameron doesn't want to be quizzed over Aston Villa gaffe
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:lol!:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
rebeccariots2 wrote:
"You're wasting your precious interview time"
Speaking as someone who doesn't know one end of a football from another, I find that quote extremely telling.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
"You're wasting your precious interview time" - David Cameron doesn't want to be quizzed over Aston Villa gaffe
That video is quite something RR2 ! Shows him up as the complete & utter fake that he is.

edit to make clear the video is visible in the tweet linked to. I don't know how to post it directly into here.
Last edited by pk1 on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Good afternoon. :D

Just spent some time over at the "other place".
The 'one line insult' trolls on cif are in abundance. It's embarrassing, they're so puerile, they come across as uneducated and ignorant.

By the way, what's 'football'?

Editted cos a cant spill. :roll:
Last edited by Swarthlander on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Found this from a couple of months back:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/row-zed/a ... on-5185565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And so it came to pass that David Cameron - the man currently hell-bent on proving to the electorate that he is NOT just a posh chap who hasn't got the first clue how normal people live their lives - today held a Q&A with factory workers at the Rolls Royce plant in West Sussex.

Sure enough, the questions soon turned to football. And lo and behold, the Prime Minister was very keen to tell all and sundry about his love for Aston Villa.

"I am not going to make any predictions, but I am hoping for a couple of Villa gains to lift us out of the danger zone.

"I am sure Tim Sherwood is going to make a big difference.

"Obviously in politics when you see a team change their management it can make you a bit nervous."

It's almost like he knew just what to say, isn't it?

Sadly for Mr Cameron - and more specifically, the electoral strategy team who prepared him so throughly for this rare interaction with masses - it didn't go entirely to plan.

If you're going to pass yourself off as one of us, Prime Minister, probably best to use the right terminology. Those of us who actually like football tend to use the word "wins" rather than "gains".
:lol!:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

East Devon Labour
‏@EastDevonLabour RT @JolyonMaugham: No words. | Incredible

(hot air hand drier)

Last edited by refitman on Sat 25 Apr, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: image added
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3754239

Anyone got an unspinned view on this?
Hmm. They seem to have taken that story down.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3754239

Anyone got an unspinned view on this?
Hmm. They seem to have taken that story down.
Indeed - which I find quite intriguing. Like I say, it basically said that Tory SNP voters were returning to Tory to split the Lib Dem vote.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

If Labour rely on the SNP to form a government - they will have to play football with hockey sticks. :shock:
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Charlie Condou ‏@Charliecondou 4 hrs4 hours ago

Great night at the @BritLGBTAwards , not even marred by the appearance of Katie Hopkins, who incidentally WASNT invited by the organisers
:o :o :o
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:More evidence that the DfE simply rushed at breakneck speed to get academies sponsored by chains and weren't too fussed about where they went even if it mean chains had schools all over the place.

The largest academy chain in the country has transferred eight schools from its control, blaming their “geographic isolation”.
The Academies Enterprise Trust (AET) has been handing over the schools to local sponsors since December.

The relinquished schools are East Point Academy in Lowestoft; Childwall Sports & Science Academy in Liverpool; Oaks, Tree Tops and Molehill Copse Primary Academies, Kent; Northamptonshire’s The Duston School; and Peak and Greenfield Academies in Gloucestershire. Statements from the trust say that all eight schools were handed to new sponsors because they were “geographically isolated” from the trust’s other schools.

Schools minister Lord Nash has, in the past, stated a preference for schools in academy chains to be within an hour’s drive of each other. And last year, the education select committee said academy chains performed better in geographic clusters.
Quite agree Lord Nash - makes no sense whatsoever for a chain to have schools in all 9 government regions. In fact even now and after these transfers AET have schools in 8 regions.

Just a shame that you weren't at the DfE and could have stopped this happening...oh hang on...

Govey's Triple Marginal Seat Disaster Tour!

Northampton South, Stroud and Waveney there.

Stroud's already had a forced academisation of a school with one bad Ofsted. It was called off because it was so silly.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Top Tory minister lets slip plan for "flood" of privatisation and praises company set to slash hundreds of jobs

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/t ... urn false;
Wondered when Maude's name would crop up again.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Can Empty Dave tweet.

Labour/SNP means Premier League Cup to be dominated by Celtic Rangers United for five years. Vote Conservative to save Soccerball.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Swarthlander wrote:If Labour rely on the SNP to form a government - they will have to play football with hockey sticks. :shock:
That's baseball, isn't it? Anyone?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[David Cameron said] By the time you have made as many speeches as I have on this campaign all sorts of funny things start popping out of your mouth. (Guardian Election Blog)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Can Empty Dave tweet.

Labour/SNP means Premier League Cup to be dominated by Celtic Rangers United for five years. Vote Conservative to save Soccerball.
Tweeted.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Govey's Triple Marginal Seat Disaster Tour!

Northampton South, Stroud and Waveney there.

Stroud's already had a forced academisation of a school with one bad Ofsted. It was called off because it was so silly.
Gove lost the Waveney seat for the Tories with that dumb attempt to impose a Free School on Beccles.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

He's such a laugh.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news ... down_well/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A joke by Mayor of London Boris Johnson about the quality of “sweet” air at Hyde Park Corner has been branded "outrageous" and "inexcusable".

Mr Johnson raised some laughs when he made a quip about London’s “improving” air quality during a speech.

He said: “I'm told now that when we have bad air quality episodes in this country the air in Norfolk is of an inferior quality to the air in London these days.

"The day will not be far off when the people of Norfolk ... the children of Norfolk have to be bussed into London to inhale the sweet air of Hyde Park Corner.”
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Rumours are circulating that Aston Villa are hoping to build a new stadium under the Lincoln by-pass.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
[David Cameron said] By the time you have made as many speeches as I have on this campaign all sorts of funny things start popping out of your mouth. (Guardian Election Blog)
Dave, go to your room. Stay there.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jonathan Portes:

http://niesr.ac.uk/blog/welfare-savings ... TuX9SFVikp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you know how much IDS has saved from social security compared to what was predicted in 2010?

£2bn this year. Presumably less in previous years.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

[David Cameron said] We are a shining example of a country where multiple identities work. (Guardian Election Blog)
That Grant Shapps bloke - he sure knows how to write a good speech.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:He's such a laugh.

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news ... down_well/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A joke by Mayor of London Boris Johnson about the quality of “sweet” air at Hyde Park Corner has been branded "outrageous" and "inexcusable".

Mr Johnson raised some laughs when he made a quip about London’s “improving” air quality during a speech.

He said: “I'm told now that when we have bad air quality episodes in this country the air in Norfolk is of an inferior quality to the air in London these days.

"The day will not be far off when the people of Norfolk ... the children of Norfolk have to be bussed into London to inhale the sweet air of Hyde Park Corner.”
Tubby Isaacs, I'm glad to read you - sorry the topic of air pollution.
I've been suffering & I've never had respiratory problems in my life until now.
The air quality monitors for the UK have been turned off for many regions for going on two & a half weeks now.
As the UK National Air Quality Monitoring System from the Derfra (uk-air.defra.gov.uk) is currently not working (since April 8th 2015), we are unable to provide data for Carlisle Roadside station.
While the Derfra is working on resolving the issue, you can check the gov.uk air quality forecast webpage, or their forecast tweets (on the left).
http://aqicn.org/city/united-kingdom/carlisle-roadside/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Defra latest:
1h
Defra Air Quality @DefraUKAir
Forecast Sun: Low air pollution levels across the UK.
Oh, sure.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Gove lost the Waveney seat for the Tories with that dumb attempt to impose a Free School on Beccles.
I think that school eventually got some pupils in its "temporary" site in Waveney, after some other schools there were closed by the council.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote: Gove lost the Waveney seat for the Tories with that dumb attempt to impose a Free School on Beccles.
I think that school eventually got some pupils in its "temporary" site in Waveney, after some other schools there were closed by the council.
It opened up initially on the outskirts of Lowestoft in 2012, with just 68 pupils; I don't think it reached planned numbers until last year, when it also finally moved into Beccles itself, on the site of the old Sir John Leman Middle School which the LA had earmarked for planned expansion of the (very good) Academy set up under Labour. Waveney has always been a bellweather seat and the sitting MP, Peter Aldous, is defending a majority of just 769; I think he has pretty much accepted that he will need a new job come May 8th.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Didn't know it had moved to Beccles. I thought it was going to stay in Lowestoft where lots of its pupils must come from.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1 hr1 hour ago

Lots of polls coming up. Survation & Opinium (which both had 4% CON leads last time) YouGov and I'm assuming an ICM Wisdom Index.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Post on UKPR reads:
CROSSBAT11

Eureka! In one fell swoop, Villa have just got rid of their most unwanted fan!

Karen Brady, David Sullivan and David Gold – you’re welcome to him!
:-)

Now, if we could persuade Prince William to become an Albion fan, the job would be complete!
:lol:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Jonathan Portes:

http://niesr.ac.uk/blog/welfare-savings ... TuX9SFVikp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you know how much IDS has saved from social security compared to what was predicted in 2010?

£2bn this year. Presumably less in previous years.

Thank you for this, Tubby - I like Jonathan Portes.

He makes my predictions all nice and tidy with his figures.

I trust nobody here is surprised by this.

I said when the WRA was going through that IDS would spend more while simultaneously taking cash away from claimants.

(It gives me no pleasure to be right)
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi