Friday 18th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
GetYou
Minister of State

Re: Friday 18th September 2015

Post by GetYou »

"We already know that Universal Credit claimants are moving into work faster and staying in work longer, and the new benefit is expected to boost employment across the country by 300,000."

Smells like BS to me. I wonder if there is any data to back these claims up. There usually isn't.

Edit: the last data I saw on this was from a very small sample size with very marginal differences between the JSA and UC groups (around this time last year I think).
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

GetYou wrote:"We already know that Universal Credit claimants are moving into work faster and staying in work longer, and the new benefit is expected to boost employment across the country by 300,000."

Smells like BS to me. I wonder if there is any data to back these claims up. There usually isn't.

Edit: the last data I saw on this was from a very small sample size with very marginal differences between the JSA and UC groups (around this time last year I think).
Who needs evidence? Repeat, ensure sympathetic media outlets report what you say. See mid Staffs death stats.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

JustMom wrote:It could be far worse and have a shadow chancellor that was on drugs and have an ex girlfriend on twitter.

I'd have you know, Mom, that the heir to the Baronetcy of Ballentaylor and Ballylemon works so so hard in his part-time (his words) post that he has little powder naps (no typo) and is definitely not gouching out under the influence of anything. He's resting. Honest.

His girlfriend was a paid employee - and not his girlfriend when the photos were taken and is certainly not his girlfriend now and is absolutely definitely totally manifestly not being monitored by our security services. Honest.

George Osborne is his real name. Honest.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

JustMom wrote:It could be far worse and have a shadow chancellor that was on drugs and have an ex girlfriend on twitter.
Wish I could thank you many times over for that.
Working on the wild side.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

GetYou wrote:"We already know that Universal Credit claimants are moving into work faster and staying in work longer, and the new benefit is expected to boost employment across the country by 300,000."

This is bollocks.

UC includes people who were already working and claiming Income Support; any in-work benefit claimants on WTCs or HB; and people who claim IB/ESA and who do "Permitted Work" now abolished under UC.

I suspect that DWP is assuming we don't know how it works (and not many people out there do) and do not realise that the people who have moved from in-work benefits (who were not considered benefit claimants) have gone on to UC (and are now considered claimants) and it would not surprise me if DWP was counting people who were already working as people who "stay in jobs" despite the fact that UC has nothing to do with it.
The abolition of Permitted Work under UC for people on sickness benefits means that their voluntary work, or bits and bobs they do when able, will either be stopped altogether with claimants having to be available for the Work Programme/workfare, or making them declare the work which DWP can then pretend is a new thing and all thanks to the flexibility of their shiny new system.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
Migraine headaches been keeping me in a dark room.

European markets rattled after Fed puts rate hike on hold

But days ago those same markets were rattled after Fed suggested raising rates.
Money people in charge of the economies we all have to use are incompetent and unelected.
What ever happens, government will use that as justification for dispensing with human rights completely.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Yes!!! Well said.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 16h16 hours ago
Wonder if Corbyn supporters ever worry that the only other people who blame everything on the MSM are Ukippers.

Steve Jackson ‏@ourman 13h13 hours ago
@JohnRentoul @sambrook have you seen the media in the past week?John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 5h5 hours ago
/ @ourman @sambrook I know. Reporting what Corbyn says and does. Where will it end?

steve richards ‏@steverichards14 3h3 hours ago
@JohnRentoul You defend the media re Corbyn while admirably challenge it re Blair. The hysterical attacks are similar even if victims differ

John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 3h3 hours ago
@steverichards14 I don't really "defend" the media but you are right: I agree with Blair more than I agree with Corbyn.

steve richards ‏@steverichards14 1h1 hour ago
@JohnRentoul You have been defending media hysteria re Corbyn and I had no idea you were more supportive of Blair.
:lol: Thank you Steve Richards.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

3,000 jobs lost with the closure of the steel plant in Redcar.

That's tough. Very tough.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The plumber finally turned up. Lovely young man though so I'll forgive him his tardiness.

I was so relieved he showed up, it's off topic, but I'm just about to take Cornbread with ham, sweetcorn and cheese out of the oven, plus a steak and stilton pie...

Form an orderly queue please.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The former Labour chancellor Alistair Darling has urged Jeremy Corbyn to outline his position on the economy in the next few days to try to regain ground after a summer in which the party “chose to blow itself up”.

“Jeremy Corbyn has won. He won overwhelmingly and he has a mandate,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “I know what he’s against but I’m not actually sure what he is for. . . . " (Guardian)
Somebody hasn't been paying attention, then.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mic-policy
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:3,000 jobs lost with the closure of the steel plant in Redcar.

That's an awful lot of new jobs to find.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Blomfield ‏@PaulBlomfieldMP 1m1 minute ago
Changes to tax credits will hit more than 27,000 families in Sheffield http://www.paulblomfield.co.uk/news/new ... -cuts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Unacceptable.
His blog cites the impact on a young working mum in his constituency who is going to be £36 a week worse off from the tax credit cuts. She would be better off not working.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
The former Labour chancellor Alistair Darling has urged Jeremy Corbyn to outline his position on the economy in the next few days to try to regain ground after a summer in which the party “chose to blow itself up”.

“Jeremy Corbyn has won. He won overwhelmingly and he has a mandate,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. “I know what he’s against but I’m not actually sure what he is for. . . . " (Guardian)
Somebody hasn't been paying attention, then.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... mic-policy
(my bold)

I detest this phrase...
'but I'm not actually sure what he is for...'
Sounds like a mediocre concern troll.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Corbyn won't stop until everyone in Britain is offended
He didn’t give a job to Yvette Cooper, because she wouldn't take it. But if he really cared about feminism, he’d have said, “You’ll do whatever job I bloody well give you, love.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jer ... 06322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Steel doing what he does.
... One problem with this excitement is that it’s hard to increase the hysteria when they’ve gone so wild in the first week, but they’ll rise to the challenge. By November, we’ll be told he’s forced Mary Berry to eat an Arctic roll full of blackbird sick as revenge for selling her book about scones via corporate tax-avoiders Amazon...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Corbyn has re-energised Labour in Scotland – but is it too late?

Jeremy Corbyn still speaks about it wistfully – a rally in Glasgow’s Old Fruitmarket that turned into one of the most emotional moments of his leadership campaign. At the end of his speech, in front of a crowd of 1,000, he clapped and – unlike in St Paul’s – sang along to the Italian communist anthem Bandiera Rossa. (Guardian)
They certainly have a more eclectic play-list in St Paul's than I had hitherto imagined.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-too-late
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Why Labour MPs won't defect
The party's modernisers don't want to leave their party, they want to reclaim it.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... ont-defect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Eaton saying much the same as several of us did here yesterday. Added bits of info suggesting this is an Osborne tactic ...
Of the report that Labour MPs were considering defecting to the Tories, one former shadow cabinet minister told me: "It's garbage - no moderniser I can think of would defect. It is being put around by George Osborne and his crew to undermine moderates in our party. It is us who Osborne fears, after all, if we get our act together by the time he takes over the Tories."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

UK's poor productivity figures show challenge for government
Only Japan in the G7 performed worse than the UK last year in terms of output per hour worked

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... government" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Careful, Guardian, it's almost a disparagement against Tory Chancellor Jeff.

I don't like Darlings' comments about Corbyn and I'm not over charmed by Darlings' Labour legacy but I'll take the Labour government Darling was in over Tory government any time. I look forward to a better a Labour government as soon as possible. I'm frightened for people.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
The party's modernisers don't want to leave their party, they want to reclaim it.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... ont-defect" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
George Eaton saying much the same as several of us did here yesterday. Added bits of info suggesting this is an Osborne tactic ...
Of the report that Labour MPs were considering defecting to the Tories, one former shadow cabinet minister told me: "It's garbage - no moderniser I can think of would defect. It is being put around by George Osborne and his crew to undermine moderates in our party. It is us who Osborne fears, after all, if we get our act together by the time he takes over the Tories."

Surely Corbyn is now the moderniser, along with Watson with his ideas for digital strategy etc. ?

The right wing were modernisers, now they are the ones stuck in the past.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jeremy Corbyn won't stop until everyone in Britain is offended
He didn’t give a job to Yvette Cooper, because she wouldn't take it. But if he really cared about feminism, he’d have said, “You’ll do whatever job I bloody well give you, love.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jer ... 06322.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mark Steel doing what he does.
... One problem with this excitement is that it’s hard to increase the hysteria when they’ve gone so wild in the first week, but they’ll rise to the challenge. By November, we’ll be told he’s forced Mary Berry to eat an Arctic roll full of blackbird sick as revenge for selling her book about scones via corporate tax-avoiders Amazon...
I didn't realise it was satire until I finally resolved to check out the article and laughed.
Media is crazy these days, you know?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

Surely Corbyn is now the moderniser, along with Watson with his ideas for digital strategy etc. ?

Let's all be modernisers.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Just as disingenuous, of course, is Farron wittering on about Blairite MPs going over to the LibDems - when HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY WANT THEM.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Joe Public ‏@jpublik 55m55 minutes ago
The Sun mocking Corbyn & Abbott but Rebekah Brooks slept with Andy Coulson then tried to use Human Rights to hide it
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Just as disingenuous, of course, is Farron wittering on about Blairite MPs going over to the LibDems - when HE DOESN'T ACTUALLY WANT THEM.

Would anyone want them, apart from the Tories just to make a cheap point ? :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

The sentiment expressed in that desire to 'reclaim' their party is depressing. The party is now clearly not the same one they wish to lead. The membership has shown that very clearly - present and future. I'm hoping their waiting for Corbyn to go isn't predicated on really terrible things happening in the party. They should be hoping he can really change a lot of things for the better - for as long as he is leader - and that there is an enthused and participating membership and vibrant party for whoever follows to keep on building with. Whether it's two, five or seven years that Corbyn is leader - I somehow can't see it being any of the former 'moderate' so called senior MPs who will be succeeding him.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Wanting to "reclaim" something is fine in itself, if it includes the realisation that *you* have to change to make that remotely possible.

There has been some self-awareness along those lines from a few Kendall supporters especially, tbf.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:3,000 jobs lost with the closure of the steel plant in Redcar.

That's an awful lot of new jobs to find.
Follows on from recent Tata announcements: Strip Products, 250 (Llanwern being mothballed),
Speciality Steels:- 720 mainly in Rotherham.
+ uncertainty at Scunthorpe ;

http://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2015-0 ... ut-of-deal
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:Joe Public ‏@jpublik 55m55 minutes ago
The Sun mocking Corbyn & Abbott but Rebekah Brooks slept with Andy Coulson then tried to use Human Rights to hide it
There was a particularly lurid meme going round yesterday that Umunna's "mystery" withdrawal from the leadership race was really because he was Jez and Di's lovechild :shock:

Some people really do have too much time on their hands :lol: :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Insane commentary on the business threads elsewhere.
Pretend Tories aren't in government.
No joke.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... aking.html
In January this year, David Cameron painted a rosy picture of British steelmaking. “Under this Government, steel production is up, where it was down under Labour. Under this Government, employment in the steel industry is up, where it was down under Labour.

“Why is that? Because we have a car industry that is growing, an aerospace industry that is growing, and construction is growing. We are getting Britain back to work,” he boldly claimed.

The Prime Minister was technically right but only because the steel industry at the time of the 2010 election was on its knees amid a brutal global recession.
Steel Industry has been going in decreasing circles for years, nice to see Cameron doing a 'King Canute / reverse Midas touch at the same time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I suppose our press are too busy vilifying Corbyn to interview Osborne or God forbid the fish pointer to get their views excuses on the massive redundancy's in the steel trade...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

How many Jeremy Corbyn policies would you agree with?

Have a go at our quiz to see what you have in common with the new Labour Party leader

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... s-10080491
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
There was a particularly lurid meme going round yesterday that Umunna's "mystery" withdrawal from the leadership race was really because he was Jez and Di's lovechild :shock:

Even worse ... I had a moment's pause before I got the right 'Di', there. Imagine that!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

UK may have to cut interest rates, warns Bank of England chief economist

Andy Haldane suggests a rate cut may be more beneficial to economic growth, given signs that a third phase of the global financial crisis is looming

[Andy] Haldane highlighted challenges in Britain. “While the UK’s recovery remains on track, there are straws in the wind to suggest slowing growth into the second half of the year,” he said. “Employment is softening, with a fall in employment in the second quarter and surveys suggesting slowing growth rates.(Guardian)
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... dy-haldane
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:

Andy Haldane suggests a rate cut may be more beneficial to economic growth, given signs that a third phase of the global financial crisis is looming

[Andy] Haldane highlighted challenges in Britain. “While the UK’s recovery remains on track, there are straws in the wind to suggest slowing growth into the second half of the year,” he said. “Employment is softening, with a fall in employment in the second quarter and surveys suggesting slowing growth rates.(Guardian)
Cut? To what?!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Even worse ... I had a moment's pause before I got the right 'Di', there. Imagine that!
Private Eye's profile of Corbyn soon after he was first elected in 1983 mentioned a rich woman friend, strangely enough.

He does seem to have been a bit of a ladies man when he was younger, an interesting counterpoint to the generally slightly austere image.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:

Presumably this third phase will be all Labour / Corbyn's fault. Seriously though two of these phases will have occurred under Osborne's watch. I find it very worrying that we already have zero inflation and near to zero interest rates...

Saw a headline earlier along the lines of 'what will Osborne call People's QE when he starts using it?' - because that's what an increasing number of people seem to think will have to happen - they have tried most of the other options and with such low interest rates already they are very limited.

I'm sure it won't be presented as an 'extreme' 'nutjob' policy when Osborne gets round to it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Cut? To what?!
Negative.

This looks like it's a good explanation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32284393" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Cut? To what?!
My first thought too. :?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Presumably this third phase will be all Labour / Corbyn's fault. Seriously though two of these phases will have occurred under Osborne's watch. I find it very worrying that we already have zero inflation and near to zero interest rates...

Saw a headline earlier along the lines of 'what will Osborne call People's QE when he starts using it?' - because that's what an increasing number of people seem to think will have to happen - they have tried most of the other options and with such low interest rates already they are very limited.

I'm sure it won't be presented as an 'extreme' 'nutjob' policy when Osborne gets round to it.
Of course Osborne could just be really conventional and abandon austerity. I think he's pretty much proved the theory that austerity during a depression doesn't work by now. I'm predicting he will attempt to counter the recessionary effects of his ideological tax credit cuts with secret spending elsewhere.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... aking.html
In January this year, David Cameron painted a rosy picture of British steelmaking. “Under this Government, steel production is up, where it was down under Labour. Under this Government, employment in the steel industry is up, where it was down under Labour.

“Why is that? Because we have a car industry that is growing, an aerospace industry that is growing, and construction is growing. We are getting Britain back to work,” he boldly claimed.

The Prime Minister was technically right but only because the steel industry at the time of the 2010 election was on its knees amid a brutal global recession.
Steel Industry has been going in decreasing circles for years, nice to see Cameron doing a 'King Canute / reverse Midas touch at the same time.
I was just saying to mr gilsey, that if the longtermeconomicplan was as good as they'd have us believe*, the steelworks would have reopened at just the right time - 2012 - and would be chugging along nicely now.

Incidentally, if you hear reports that they're 'unable to obtain raw materials', it's because they haven't paid/been able to pay their suppliers. Mr gilsey's former employer stopped doing any work for them a bit since and they've been in regular, frequent meetings to discuss the state of play, I don't know how much they're owed.

*or indeed, if there was any substance to the LTEP at all.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Labour frontbench: in full http://labourlist.org/2015/09/labour-fr ... h-in-full/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to see Debbie Abrahams in W&P
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Okay Mr Farron. Lets have some names...We're paying their wages so if what you're saying is true, I think that gives us a right to know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 05885.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: There was a particularly lurid meme going round yesterday that Umunna's "mystery" withdrawal from the leadership race was really because he was Jez and Di's lovechild :shock:

How great would it be if it turned out he was actually the heir to the throne?

King Chuka. Sounds good to me, and the BNP/Kippers would explode. No down side really.
If only....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If those Blairites only cared as much about the people who've suffered under the Tories as they do their own careers and bank balances.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

gilsey wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... aking.html

I was just saying to mr gilsey, that if the longtermeconomicplan was as good as they'd have us believe*, the steelworks would have reopened at just the right time - 2012 - and would be chugging along nicely now.

Incidentally, if you hear reports that they're 'unable to obtain raw materials', it's because they haven't paid/been able to pay their suppliers. Mr gilsey's former employer stopped doing any work for them a bit since and they've been in regular, frequent meetings to discuss the state of play, I don't know how much they're owed.

*or indeed, if there was any substance to the LTEP at all.
Afternoon all. On another board (for Middlesbrough football fans) they are making a big thing about James Wharton (MP for Stockton South & Minister for the Northern Powerhouse) going to a dinner with party donors in Durham last night rather than attending the debate in Parliament
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Cameron's aide Patrick Rock (wasn't he a Thatcher aide too ?) is finally set to appear at Southwark Crown Court on October 16th. Charges are for possession of images of children being abused.

A blogger reminds us that the initial arrest was kept quiet while the Tory press conveniently unleashed the Labour PIE sympathiser smears.

http://inowhereurcusoon.co.uk/2015/09/14/patrick-rock/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Daily Mail, in tiny print, apologise for calling Anna Ford a Trotskyite just because she supports Jeremy Corbyn.

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, that wasn't an apology from the Mail, it was only a clarification !
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Blomfield ‏@PaulBlomfieldMP 1m1 minute ago
Changes to tax credits will hit more than 27,000 families in Sheffield http://www.paulblomfield.co.uk/news/new ... -cuts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … Unacceptable.
His blog cites the impact on a young working mum in his constituency who is going to be £36 a week worse off from the tax credit cuts. She would be better off not working.
I think you're forgetting her likelihood of sanction, rr2, assuming she'd qualify for social security should she give up her job.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.