Friday 25th.September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 25th.September 2015

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PorFavor wrote:

He [Nigel Farage] says Ukip got 4m votes at the election. He would have “bitten his arm off” for that result, he says. The party can be proud of what it achieved.

The fact that this delivered just one MP shows how important electoral reform is, he says. But he says that he is not holding his breathe[sic] in the expectation of this happening. (Politics lLive, Guardian - my emphasis)
Oh, and I was so hoping that he would.
This is something on which Farage is actually correct, unusually.

The pro-AV campaign could have used his support productively back in 2011, if they hadn't been so terminally useless.

(amusing that Katie Ghose is speaking at this event, considering)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
The House of Lords should be 'sealed up and gassed,' says Katie Hopkins

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 566.html-0
Never thought I'd see the day I agreed with her.
Well, she's certainly choosing her objects of hate-speech with greater discernment.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

utopiandreams wrote:Speaking of freak events, my wife held them in higher regard than myself; I just call it coincidence.
Synchronicity
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Bloomberg is reporting that Volkswagen executives in Germany controlled key aspects of the emissions tests, whose results the carmaker now admits were faked. VW shares are now down 4%.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/liv ... 648ceb46f2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Less than twenty minutes ago.
Jesus christ
Millions more cars all over the world affected.
Is insurance coverage still extended to all the people driving VW's?
Seriously.
It could be illegal driving it on the road.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bank of England warns buy-to-let is the next big threat to UK financial stability
UK landlords are vulnerable to rapidly rising prices in a boom and falling values during a bust, Financial Policy Committee warns

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/bank ... gland.html
Until they up the interest rates to make savings worthwhile it won't get any better.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
The House of Lords should be 'sealed up and gassed,' says Katie Hopkins

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 566.html-0
Never thought I'd see the day I agreed with her.
We need a reformed second chamber, that's certainly true, but there are some really good people in the Lords, amongst the over privileged scroungers. I think I preferred it when thick celebs didn't "do" politics.
I did sound a bit extreme there, but was thinking of all the rich crooks and twisted politicians who've been elevated to the Lords...And there are an awful lot of them...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

'Michelle Mone in the House of Lords? That’s why British voters don’t give a s***’
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... urn false;
Ohhhhh...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Breaking: Swiss Attorney General says it has opened criminal proceedings against FIFA President Sepp Blatter. (Sky News)
Of interest to the footie fans and general anti-corruption people, perhaps.

Edit to correct FIF to FIFA
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:Breaking: Swiss Attorney General says it has opened criminal proceedings against FIFA President Sepp Blatter. (Sky News)
Of interest to the footie fans and general anti-corruption people, perhaps.

Edit to correct FIF to FIFA
Thank you. I definitely fall into the second category!
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

(SO2) is generated from the sulfur present in diesel fuel. Sulfur dioxide is a colorless toxic gas with a characteristic, irritating odor. Oxidation of sulfur dioxide produces sulfur trioxide which is the precursor of sulfuric acid which, in turn, is responsible for the sulfate particulate matter emissions. Sulfur oxides have a profound impact on environment being the major cause of acid rains.

Carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), and aldehydes are generated in the exhaust as the result of incomplete combustion of fuel. When engines operate in enclosed spaces, such as underground mines, buildings under construction, tunnels or warehouses, carbon monoxide can accumulate in the ambient atmosphere and cause headaches, dizziness and lethargy. Under the same conditions, hydrocarbons and aldehydes cause eye irritation and choking sensations. Hydrocarbons and aldehydes are major contributors to the characteristic diesel smell. Hydrocarbons also have a negative environmental effect, being an important component of smog.

Nitrogen oxides (NOx) are generated from nitrogen and oxygen under the high pressure and temperature conditions in the engine cylinder. NOx consist mostly of nitric oxide (NO) and a small fraction of nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitrogen dioxide is very toxic. NOx emissions are also a serious environmental concern because of their role in the smog formation.

Sorry to be a pedant, but it's not Sulfur its Sulphur.
And for any Americans who may be reading -open a dictionary, look up “aluminium,” and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

danesclose wrote:
(SO2) is generated from the sulfur present in diesel fuel. Sulfur dioxide is a colorless toxic gas with a characteristic, irritating odor. Oxidation of sulfur dioxide produces sulfur trioxide which is the precursor of sulfuric acid which, in turn, is responsible for the sulfate particulate matter emissions. Sulfur oxides have a profound impact on environment being the major cause of acid rains.

Carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), and aldehydes are generated in the exhaust as the result of incomplete combustion of fuel. When engines operate in enclosed spaces, such as underground mines, buildings under construction, tunnels or warehouses, carbon monoxide can accumulate in the ambient atmosphere and cause headaches, dizziness and lethargy. Under the same conditions, hydrocarbons and aldehydes cause eye irritation and choking sensations. Hydrocarbons and aldehydes are major contributors to the characteristic diesel smell. Hydrocarbons also have a negative environmental effect, being an important component of smog.

Nitrogen oxides (NOx) are generated from nitrogen and oxygen under the high pressure and temperature conditions in the engine cylinder. NOx consist mostly of nitric oxide (NO) and a small fraction of nitrogen dioxide (NO2). Nitrogen dioxide is very toxic. NOx emissions are also a serious environmental concern because of their role in the smog formation.

And for any Americans who may be reading -open a dictionary, look up “aluminium,” and check the pronunciation guide. You will be amazed at just how wrongly you have been pronouncing it.
And there's no such word as nucular. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

danesclose wrote:

Hello - as one pedant to another, I just couldn't resist . , , ,

It's "it's Sulphur" not "its Sulphur".
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

frightful_oik wrote:
danesclose wrote:

And there's no such word as nucular. :D
And there's no need to put 'of' in between 'big' and 'a deal', either. "It's not that big a deal" works perfectly well - or simply, "It's not such a big deal." You don't say, "He's not that fat of a man" - do you? :D
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:
danesclose wrote:

Hello - as one pedant to another, I just couldn't resist . , , ,

It's "it's Sulphur" not "its Sulphur".
:rofl:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

He [Nigel Farage] says Ukip got 4m votes at the election. He would have “bitten his arm off” for that result, he says. The party can be proud of what it achieved.

The fact that this delivered just one MP shows how important electoral reform is, he says. But he says that he is not holding his breathe[sic] in the expectation of this happening. (Politics lLive, Guardian - my emphasis)
Oh, and I was so hoping that he would.
This is something on which Farage is actually correct, unusually.

The pro-AV campaign could have used his support productively back in 2011, if they hadn't been so terminally useless.

(amusing that Katie Ghose is speaking at this event, considering)

Yes. That's why I thought it would be a service to the rest of us if he held his breath while he waits for a very long time.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:
'Michelle Mone in the House of Lords? That’s why British voters don’t give a s***’
Ohhhhh...
This reminds me of a job I was once asked to do for one of my regular clients. Not Michelle herself, which reminds me... ma belle. Shut up, utopian, you never did have a singing voice! Said client's sight was so extremely challenged that life was exceedingly hard for her, nevertheless she did anything and everything, well not quite everything, to earn her living. She was friends of one of my regular business clients and I just charged a nominal rate that she could afford. She simply wouldn't have used my services or perhaps very infrequently had I charged my normal fees.. and from my perspective some income is better than none, after all.

Anyway one of her ventures was setting up as an online trader in lingerie and the like, hosted by servers using open-source and configurable web sites. Fine by me, it just provided another string to my bow. However being so visually impaired, she also gave me her suppliers' website addresses and asked that I select and update her site with my chosen selection, the only stipulation being that it were sexy but must also be tasteful, nothing too lewd.

Of course I could not do so when my lads were home, but my wife was much amused and left me to it... 'And there was me hoping for a little assistance. Still I shouldn't complain as I was being paid for my time, albeit at nominal rates. Quite frankly I had advised her against it and don't think she did make any money. Called herself a clairvoyant too!
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:

I apologise for cut-n-pasting text I didn't proof read first.
Thank you.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

danesclose wrote:
Why do people in the UK write and use the expression MPG (miles per gallon) when it's sold as litres in the UK?
How do you know how I pronounce words, please?
Ah, wait, I got it, you're addressing the pronunciation guide to 'Americans'.
Apologies.
Last edited by citizenJA on Fri 25 Sep, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Corbyn on Marr on Sunday. Grauniad spinning it as a negative story. :toss:
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@danesclose

Americanisms are something I'm particularly used to, danesclose, as computing is my field but doesn't make them any more appealing. But it was your mention of headaches that caught my attention. Strangely it was nothing I'd particularly noticed during rush hours in cities but when I first moved to these parts I had a taxi driving job for a while, back in the days when Burton only had one bridge over the Trent. Talk about headaches. Furthermore my wife to be and I had a flat on the High Street within yards of the bridge. Black globules of thick syrupy fluid would gather on our windowsills. Not particularly pleasant really and a bugger to clean.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:And as far as the ever more ludicrous and puffed up Mandy is concerned, Jez should just ask as J V Dzhughashvilli did of the Pontiff - how many divisions can he call on?
I think that Mandleson's paper - which was leaked and isn't an article - shows that somebody with brains is actually thinking about the car crash that is the current Labour Party.

His analysis in my view is spot on, in particular:

Mandleson thinks Corbyn is unelectable - I agree with him.

But Corbyn will need to demonstrate he is unelectable to the Labour membership before any move to replace him can be contemplated. Which is also true, not least because if he proves to be electable you can simply leave well alone.

I think Mandleson is clearly recognising that the Blairite wing needs to move left and unite with the Smith/Kinnock wing of the party; and that they need a new agenda.

His analysis of Corbyn supporters likely behaviour and impact is also spot on, and his analysis that the mainstream (Labour members who are more in tune with the public mood than Corbynistas - if you believe polling) is quite likely to shrug its shoulders and take a break is also right.

In effect all he is saying is Corbyn supporters will need to see failure before conceding their man isn't the right one, that Labour needs to unite around a less divisive candidate, that he/she isn't likely to be a particularly Blairite candidate, and in the mean time stop plotting because it is pointless and unhelpful.

Mandleson is telling Blairite ultras to move on.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Slaughter MP retweeted
Rosamund Urwin ‏@RosamundUrwin 52m52 minutes ago
Incidentally, Jeremy Corbyn was one of four MPs who fought for the freedom of the last British Guantanamo detainee http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06213.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
That's good to know.
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

On Americanisms there are 5x more of them, they kind of own the Internet, and globally people generally speak American, not English. So on the whole until we own Apple, Microsoft, Faceplant et al we just have to suck it up.

Some of their spellings are simply carried over from English as it was when their country was "founded"(admittedly they stole somebody else's land).
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Most Eclectic Boyband.jpg
Most Eclectic Boyband.jpg (54.01 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 42m42 minutes ago
Update to Shaker Aamer post with pic of the world’s most eclectic boyband http://specc.ie/1YFtuSc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Apparently Douglas Carswell is having a bit of trouble fitting in with the Ukip way of doing things - again.
Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 1h1 hour ago
that little carswell v banks showdown http://bbc.in/1KH2gBc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @BBCNews
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Did anyone hear Caroline Lucas interviewed ?

She was squawking about letting the Tories in because of left leaning parties fighting each other.
Has she never met the leader of her own party, Natalie Bash Labour Bennett, and her Welsh & Scottish pals ?
Biting lumps out of Ed Miliband seemed their most important objective for May 2015.

Unbelievable.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

David Hencke retweeted
JS2 ‏@___JS2 4h4 hours ago
DWP puts reporter on blacklist over the way he reports the impact of welfare reforms http://ntn.al/gg1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... DISABLED journalist John Pring, who uncovered the first suicide case directly linked to the UK Government’s welfare cuts this week, has been blacklisted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) over his in-depth investigations.

The editor of Disability News Service (DNS), launched in April 2009 to probe issues that affect the lives of disabled people, says the DWP has stopped answering any of his questions.

The news service focuses on issues such as discrimination, equality, independent living, benefits, poverty and human rights, but also covers arts, culture and sport.

Pring worked for months gathering evidence to back up his story that, for the first time, a coroner had blamed the death of mentally disabled Michael O’Sullivan on his recent work capability assessments.

He managed to get hands on coroner Mary Hassell’s determination into his suicide, her Prevention of Future Deaths report sent to the DWP calling for action to be taken, as well as the DWP’s response.

Hassell found that the “trigger” for the suicide was “his recent assessment by a DWP doctor as being fit for work”...

... Scottish disability rights campaigners at the Black Triangle, who hope Pring’s revelations will be a turning point in the fight against the welfare cuts, said numerous disability groups rely on the Disability News Service to keep them informed and by refusing to communicate with Pring, the DWP was refusing to communicate with millions of disabled people.

Campaign manager John McArdle said: “John Pring has done more than any other journalist to expose the scandal of these deaths and hold the DWP to account.

“The actions of the DWP are counter to transparent government and freedom of the press, upon which a functioning democracy rely. We consider the actions of the DWP to be highly offensive and discriminatory.”

The DWP’s press office ceased to deal with DNS and says it will no longer respond to it as a bona fide news organisation.

When Pring asked for a comment on the news that the Information Commissioner in England was to probe the DWP’s refusal to publish details of internal reviews of benefit-related deaths, a civil servant told him he would not get one.

Their refusal to communicate with him appears to have been triggered by stories published by DNS that left out comments from the Government. Pring says this is because press officers missed deadlines, the DWP says he should publish corrections...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Did anyone hear Caroline Lucas interviewed ?

She was squawking about letting the Tories in because of left leaning parties fighting each other.
Has she never met the leader of her own party, Natalie Bash Labour Bennett, and her Welsh & Scottish pals ?
Biting lumps out of Ed Miliband seemed their most important objective for May 2015.

Unbelievable.
To be fair to her I thought she pretty much admitted it had been ridiculous and wrong for the left of centre parties to have been fighting and attacking each other during the election campaign and letting the Tories get away with it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Jamie RossVerified account ‏@JamieRoss7 4h4 hours ago
A man at UKIP conference tells me a friend of his in Tesco told him the real UK population is 90m. "They can tell from food sales," he says.

Five out of five people I've asked at the UKIP conf believe the UK population is much higher than it is on the basis of info from Tesco.

What's going on? Another man at UKIP conf, unprovoked, says sewage companies have told him the population is 80m. Who's telling them this?

Box of frogs, comes to mind.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:On Americanisms there are 5x more of them, they kind of own the Internet, and globally people generally speak American, not English. So on the whole until we own Apple, Microsoft, Faceplant et al we just have to suck it up.

Some of their spellings are simply carried over from English as it was when their country was "founded"(admittedly they stole somebody else's land).

True enough about the origins of some of their spellings.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Unbelievable.
To be fair to her I thought she pretty much admitted it had been ridiculous and wrong for the left of centre parties to have been fighting and attacking each other during the election campaign and letting the Tories get away with it.
A bit late to admit it.
I'm sorry, I'm never going to be one of those that worships at the altar of
St Lucas.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

yahyah wrote:Jamie RossVerified account ‏@JamieRoss7 4h4 hours ago
A man at UKIP conference tells me a friend of his in Tesco told him the real UK population is 90m. "They can tell from food sales," he says.

Five out of five people I've asked at the UKIP conf believe the UK population is much higher than it is on the basis of info from Tesco.

What's going on? Another man at UKIP conf, unprovoked, says sewage companies have told him the population is 80m. Who's telling them this?

Box of frogs, comes to mind.
That one about food sales has been doing the rounds for years. yet to see any hard evidence for it mind which is a surprise....
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jamie Ross ‏@JamieRoss7 4h4 hours ago

Jamie Ross ‏@JamieRoss7 29m29 minutes ago
Coburn really is very good company. I stopped him in the corridor and mistakenly did a half hour interview with him.

Jamie Ross ‏@JamieRoss7 33m33 minutes ago
Here he is. Asked if he had a debauched youth like Cameron (allegedly). "I had a joint once and it gave me the shits"
:lol:

Who is this Coburn?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robin Brant retweeted
Robert Nisbet ‏@RobNisbetSky 10m10 minutes ago
UKIP backer Arron Banks TELLS @skynews that the party's sole MP Douglas Carswell 'is borderline autistic with some mental illness attached'

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 7m7 minutes ago
it appears @Arron_banks is now going public with some very insensitive descriptions of @DouglasCarswell
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

MASTER OF THE 'DARK ARTS' BREAKS SILENCE ABOUT REBEKAH BROOKS

https://www.byline.com/project/29/article/424
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

May be a big increase in what people are eating, sales up, which is encouraging the UKIP tin foil hatters.

It was rather a shock to see how many of Lampeter uni's freshers were very overweight this week.
Not just what used to be called 'puppy fat', but several stones or more overweight.
The NHS will be having to face huge pressures in ten or twenty years time, based on those sorts of levels of obesity amongst the young.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

Unbelievable.

Ah another one who is wise after the event. Sorry but that's bullshit. She knew very well what she was doing and saying as did the other women. They made Ed look weak. Nailed the lid on the coffin.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sorry again, but on the whole I really don't like women politicians...
Last edited by ohsocynical on Fri 25 Sep, 2015 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

All of them ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:All of them ?
I guess it dates me, but I hate seeing women competing with men because they lose the very qualities that makes them different.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

We Asked People At The UKIP Conference How Many Syrian Refugees They’d Allow Into The UK
http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/we-as ... uh25x7qLA4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Take a look.

I'm saying nothing.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Republicans Willing to Take Food From 45 Million People Over Planned Parenthood

As has been the case over the course of President Obama’s tenure in the White House, Republicans absorbed the news that over 45 million Americans will go hungry with a typically criminal hostage demand. The chairman of the Senate Agriculture Committee, Pat Roberts (R-KS) said Democrats can allow 45 million low income Americans to eat if Democrats restrict millions of poor women from access to reproductive healthcare, cancer screenings, and family planning. Roberts said Democrats just have to get their religious house in order and “get on board with the GOP religious effort to cut off funding for low income women’s healthcare;” then 45 million Americans can eat in October.

http://www.politicususa.com/2015/09/25/ ... hcare.html
And I bet IDS, reads an article like this and squirms with pleasure...We need to look no further for why he is driving our Social Services to the wall......
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

More UKIP off the wall utterings.

''You’ve only got to look at one of the most damaging things the Labour party has done. They say all the time, despite ignoring the facts, that it was the pit closures which destroyed working class communities. I would put it to you that the smoking ban has destroyed more communities than any pit closure has done. Because when people don’t have a place to meet, when they don’t have a place to socialise...''

What a wassock.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:More UKIP off the wall utterings.

''You’ve only got to look at one of the most damaging things the Labour party has done. They say all the time, despite ignoring the facts, that it was the pit closures which destroyed working class communities. I would put it to you that the smoking ban has destroyed more communities than any pit closure has done. Because when people don’t have a place to meet, when they don’t have a place to socialise...''

What a wassock.
Going against opinion again, but I wonder how many of our pubs would have shut if it hadn't been for the smoking ban? I remember when the suggestion was first mooted. BTL comments were all for the ban, and people were saying they'd visit pubs far more frequently if the air was clean...Doesn't look like that was much of a success.

A book on what makes the English tick says that pubs played extremely important part of our lives.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour Press Team ‏@labourpress 9m9 minutes ago
Comment on the release of Shaker Aamer from @jeremycorbyn http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1298547 ... -of-shaker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just had a response from the BBC for the complaint I made about Digby Jones not being challenged when he called Corbyn a Leninist.

All I've been sent is a generic excuse about their Corbyn coverage overall.
Typical BBC, they are right, we are always wrong and they ignore what was said.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Hutton ‏@RobDotHutton 7m7 minutes ago
I must say, the characters they've introduced for the new season of "UKIP Conference" are proving spectacularly entertaining.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:More UKIP off the wall utterings.

What a wassock.
Going against opinion again, but I wonder how many of our pubs would have shut if it hadn't been for the smoking ban? I remember when the suggestion was first mooted. BTL comments were all for the ban, and people were saying they'd visit pubs far more frequently if the air was clean...Doesn't look like that was much of a success.

A book on what makes the English tick says that pubs played extremely important part of our lives.
We never went to pubs because of the stink left on hair and clothes.
Now, you can venture in without being sent into an asthma attack, so much better.

Surely the rise of cheap supermarket alcohol sales have had as much of an impact on pub closures as the important life saving legislation ?

There's also the huge issue of pub companies that trapped tenants into buying expensive drinks from them on tied contracts, which meant they can't make a living.

The smoking ban is one of the things Labour should be proud of.
It's patronising to working class people to suggest that they can't live without a fag in their mouths The UKIP speaker seems to think meeting up with friends means having to light up.
Last edited by yahyah on Fri 25 Sep, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Ohhhhh...
And which pig nobbing numpty put Michelle Mone in the house of Lords? I think Katie Hopkins may be on to something here, after all! She just needs to focus on the source of all evil that's churning out crap, useless Lords, rather than the Lords themselves. I wonder if she meant to drop Cameron in it, by pointing out how he's bringing this august institution into disrepute with such inappropriate additions? :D
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I'm just completing an Opinium survey and one of the questions is:

To what extent do you approve or disapprove of...
Please select one response for each item.
Strongly Approve Somewhat Approve Neither Approve nor Disapprove Somewhat Disapprove Strongly Disapprove
The way David Cameron is handling his job as Prime Minister
The way Ed Miliband is handling his job as Leader of the Labour Party
The way Nick Clegg is handling his job as Leader of the Liberal Democrats
The way Nigel Farage is handling his job as leader of the UK Independence Party

Have I gone back in time ?