Tuesday 17th November 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Re: Tuesday 17th November 2015

Post by TobyLatimer »

ScreenShot01033.jpg
ScreenShot01033.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 6382 times

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/11/i ... nt-deaths/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PorFavor wrote:The anti-Corbyn sentiments (or at least as presented by the press) are getting to frenzy level. I don't know that things can continue as they are.

His reservations about "shoot to kill" make sense to me in so far as I think he's opposed to just shooting anyone who comes across the radar as appearing a bit "dodgy". I didn't think he made that quite clear in his interview.
Yeah. "Shoot to kill" is a loaded phrase. It can mean the sort of stuff the British Army did at times in Northern Ireland, with which Republicans made hay. That's obviously a bad idea.

But of course you kill people who are immediate lethal threats.
Now why couldn't I have said that? It's what I meant!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morning all.

I'm getting sick of politics and the"let's get him!" approach to Corbyn...and I'm not getting my thesis finished (after having been at it for 7 years) so I'm taking a bit of a break from here and elsewhere.

Incidentally, I assume that the people who are baying for blood over what Stop The War tweeted and deleted...are precisely the same as who want full free speech where everyone's allowed to say what they think with no censorship?

Of course they are...massive hypocrites.

I notice that there are a fair number of people (including Niall Ferguson who idiotically has compared the current situation to the fall of the Western Empire in the 5th century) who are saying that it's all down to policy failures over the past few decades.

How is that different to Stop the War saying that it's all due to foreign policy and meddling in the Middle East?

Probably back for the Autumn Statement and might look in during evenings. Bye for now.
I agree, but Niall Ferguson has some distance from David Cameron.

Stop The War were always an accident waiting to happen to Corbyn. My friends on WSC, virtually all Corbyn-leftists and even ex-SWP, have long seen Stop The War as apologists for Putin and Assad.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Seriously though yahyah, this is bigger than one person. The support for Corbyn was that distinctly rare event in modern societies, a genuine grass roots uprising (which nobody in the "bubble" predicted) Even if he fell under the proverbial bus tomorrow, that would still be there.

The malcontents in the PLP imagine they can simply dispatch Jez and things will go back to how they were. They have no idea how wrong they are.
Who exactly do they think will replace him, anyway? Chuka? Tristram?
I would think Burnham. Chuka and all have been the most anti-Corbyn, but that doesn't mean they think of one of them can take over.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

STW are exactly that, but it is looking increasingly like we are going to have to work with Putin - and even Assad - if we really want to defeat ISIS once and for all. Oh, the irony ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Reply with quote
STW are exactly that, but it is looking increasingly like we are going to have to work with Putin - and even Assad - if we really want to defeat ISIS once and for all. Oh, the irony ;)
It certainly is.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Did anyone at the time insist that the police should have shot de Menezes just in case? (Once the full facts and the extent of the attempted police cover-up had been made clear, that is).
Ken Livingstone was very supportive of the Police, and I'm not sure he recanted later.

I'm sure he could see like anyone that the cover up was unacceptable, but he probably thought he needed to keep decent relations with them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Who are the 'moderates'?
I'm not having a go at anyone, I genuinely want to know.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 17 Nov, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because he was perceived as London-centric, then Jeremy Corbyn could potentially have the same problem.

If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because they found him too intellectual, Corbyn could equally be too highbrow for them.

If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because they thought he was too pro-immigration and ethnic minorities, then it is possible they will be even less likely to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.

I thought Andy Burnham had the potential to win back/retain Ukip-inclined traditional Labour voters, because he has a regional accent and genuinely likes football. Even so, it was a long shot. The worry I have with Jeremy Corbyn, is that he is on the left of Labour and as such will only be able to add votes from the left. There were nearly 4 Ukip votes for every Green vote at the last election. There isn't much scope on the left for growing support. This is not to say that I think Labour should move to the right. The policies under Ed were about right (and were often popular in polls) and Jeremy Corbyn hasn't diverted hugely from that course. It's about voter prejudice, about the insidious drip drip drip of the Daily Mail, about identity politics and the fragmentation of the working class as a movement. Under Corbyn, Labour seems to be more radical than it really is. In order to win, however, I feel that Labour needs to seem less radical than it actually is. Appearance to attract the Ukip voters, substance to attract the left-wing voters. It's how the SNP has pulled traditional Scottish Labour voters to the right. They talk a good left-wing progressive talk on the surface to win working class left-wing votes, but walk a more conservative right-wing walk to hold on to the Tartan Tories.

Obviously gossip is merely gossip, Ukip might flop in Oldham, but I do think the Ukip threat needs to be taken seriously and it needs to accepted that the media onslaught against Corbyn, unprofessional and biased as it may be, mostly works with those already predisposed to dislike him. Corbyn may be the overwhelming choice of party members, but he wasn't the obvious or popular choice among Labour voters in general and as such leaves Labour still suffering many of the problems it has recently experienced with Ed Miliband, which ultimately resulted in a shock defeat.
I think the problem with this is to see Ukip as a phenomenon of the right. I suspect a lot of working class people support them not because of any particular policy, but because they see them as anti-establishment. These were people who were never going to vote for Ed Miliband in a million years because he looked like a sixth former in his dad's suit and spoke oddly, regardless of what he actually stood for, but might see Corbyn as a real person. (It's all rubbish of course - Farage is just as much an establishment figure as Cameron but appearances count).

By the way, has anyone in the media had a go at Farage's intellect because he never went to university? Or is that line reserved for Corbyn too?
It's interesting you think Ukip being perceived as anti-establishment is the main draw. My experience is that Ukip appeals to those who feel Labour has become about multi-culturalism and immigration. People who are conservative with a small 'c' but whose working class background prevents them from ever considering voting Tory. I agree Corbyn could be more acceptable to Ukip-inclined voters than Ed - he's not Oxbridge, he's not the son of immigrants - but I wonder if he's different enough.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote: If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because he was perceived as London-centric, then Jeremy Corbyn could potentially have the same problem.

If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because they found him too intellectual, Corbyn could equally be too highbrow for them.

If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because they thought he was too pro-immigration and ethnic minorities, then it is possible they will be even less likely to vote for Jeremy Corbyn.

I thought Andy Burnham had the potential to win back/retain Ukip-inclined traditional Labour voters, because he has a regional accent and genuinely likes football. Even so, it was a long shot. The worry I have with Jeremy Corbyn, is that he is on the left of Labour and as such will only be able to add votes from the left. There were nearly 4 Ukip votes for every Green vote at the last election. There isn't much scope on the left for growing support. This is not to say that I think Labour should move to the right. The policies under Ed were about right (and were often popular in polls) and Jeremy Corbyn hasn't diverted hugely from that course. It's about voter prejudice, about the insidious drip drip drip of the Daily Mail, about identity politics and the fragmentation of the working class as a movement. Under Corbyn, Labour seems to be more radical than it really is. In order to win, however, I feel that Labour needs to seem less radical than it actually is. Appearance to attract the Ukip voters, substance to attract the left-wing voters. It's how the SNP has pulled traditional Scottish Labour voters to the right. They talk a good left-wing progressive talk on the surface to win working class left-wing votes, but walk a more conservative right-wing walk to hold on to the Tartan Tories.

Obviously gossip is merely gossip, Ukip might flop in Oldham, but I do think the Ukip threat needs to be taken seriously and it needs to accepted that the media onslaught against Corbyn, unprofessional and biased as it may be, mostly works with those already predisposed to dislike him. Corbyn may be the overwhelming choice of party members, but he wasn't the obvious or popular choice among Labour voters in general and as such leaves Labour still suffering many of the problems it has recently experienced with Ed Miliband, which ultimately resulted in a shock defeat.
I think the problem with this is to see Ukip as a phenomenon of the right. I suspect a lot of working class people support them not because of any particular policy, but because they see them as anti-establishment. These were people who were never going to vote for Ed Miliband in a million years because he looked like a sixth former in his dad's suit and spoke oddly, regardless of what he actually stood for, but might see Corbyn as a real person. (It's all rubbish of course - Farage is just as much an establishment figure as Cameron but appearances count).

By the way, has anyone in the media had a go at Farage's intellect because he never went to university? Or is that line reserved for Corbyn too?
It's interesting you think Ukip being perceived as anti-establishment is the main draw. My experience is that Ukip appeals to those who feel Labour has become about multi-culturalism and immigration. People who are conservative with a small 'c' but whose working class background prevents them from ever considering voting Tory. I agree Corbyn could be more acceptable to Ukip-inclined voters than Ed - he's not Oxbridge, he's not the son of immigrants - but I wonder if he's different enough.
I think both you and RobertSnozers are correct.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ones that,or the media designate to portray Corbyn as extremist,unless others can come up with anything more definitive.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Willow904 wrote: If people didn't vote for Ed Miliband because he was perceived as London-centric, then Jeremy Corbyn could potentially have the same problem.

It's strange to think of Ukip being the conscience-salving party of people who would otherwise vote Labour but I think, in a lot of cases, that is a fairly accurate analysis. It's a bit worrying that such voters don't look behind the Ukip veneer of the "ordinary person's champion" though, as I think they'd probably find as many (although different) things to be at odds with re Ukip as they do with Labour. Somehow, Labour has lost the ability to strike a chord with people. Even when they get the message right, they get the delivery wrong. They should concentrate more on not being all things to all people but on how to deliver the same message in such a way that it resonates with different groups of people.

Edited to add

That's not to say that I don't think that they also often get the message wrong as well! But there's no point in getting the message right if the delivery is ineffectual.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I will go further, people should not leave the party even if JC is ousted. They should remain to take revenge (where merited) and ensure such a thing doesn't happen again.

Its partly a natural process, too. The PLP started to move to the left at the last GE, this trend will continue in 2020 and 2025. Because it is what most of the members want.

Thank you for this post. I look at the options and think what else is there anyway. With apologies to the Greens, with whom i have some sympathies. Labour was always meant to be a broad church, it allowed for people of many different kinds, trying to pull those people to a single set of distinct narrow policies has always been difficult. With elections so far away it shouldn't really be the focus, this minutiae of who says what about which... it should be about the direction of travel, setting long term aims and the means to achieve them. In opposition it should be about calling out those in government for what they are getting wrong, both in thinking and action. Labour are constantly being made ro dance the tory dance, that is to be aswerable to things they have no pwer to change while out of government, and can only affect through their response to legislative changes. It's a huge red herring to focus on one man's personal beliefs, and the way the whole weight of the combined media and right facing political apparatus has assembled itself against him is distressing to watch. Still this time it is about principles and values, and not about a fucking bacon sandwich and who your dad was, and a lot of people are actually watching, rather than turning their heads away. I've seen a lot of evidence, as you say, that there is a desire for left leaning governance, and a return to sensible effective government. Iit a sign of the fear that vested interests have that this level of noise is being created, but it is impossible to do without revealing the true face of power. And it looks increasingly ugly, people don't like it, so I agree we have to hold to the place where historically the interests of the vast majority lie. No matter what.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Liam Fox, the Conservative former defence secretary, suggested the government should be willing to commit ground troops to the fight against Islamic State. In a question to Cameron, Fox said that military campaigns were not won from the air alone and that Cameron should “rule nothing out”. Cameron said the Iraqi government were best placed to defeat Isis on the ground.
The Hawks are out in force, I see. With the US and Russia already involved, Cameron's thrashing around for the slimmest of reasons for why UK bombing is also needsd. Apparently our skilled bombers will kill fewer civilians, according to Cameron. That'll go down well in the US!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:
Liam Fox, the Conservative former defence secretary, suggested the government should be willing to commit ground troops to the fight against Islamic State. In a question to Cameron, Fox said that military campaigns were not won from the air alone and that Cameron should “rule nothing out”. Cameron said the Iraqi government were best placed to defeat Isis on the ground.
The Hawks are out in force, I see. With the US and Russia already involved, Cameron's thrashing around for the slimmest of reasons for why UK bombing is also needsd. Apparently our skilled bombers will kill fewer civilians, according to Cameron. That'll go down well in the US!
Bit of a contrast with Germany ...
Separately, Germany’s foreign minister has ruled out taking part in any airstrikes in Syria.

“It doesn’t make sense if we add to the 16 nations which are carrying out air attacks,” Frank-Walter Steinmeier said.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2 ... night-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Barbara Keeley ‏@KeeleyMP 5m5 minutes ago
Appalling answer from Care Minister to my Health Q today about care sector in crisis. Care providers need Govt to fund £1.7 for Nat Min Wage

Barbara Keeley ‏@KeeleyMP 3m3 minutes ago
Tory Govt brings in measures to increase Nat Min Wage, this needs to be funded for care sector. Care Minister asks me to suggest how to fund
(my bold)

See this is a big part of the problem. Labour is constantly being asked to say how they would fund '***ing Tory policy. They wouldn't and they shouldn't be being asked this by Tory MPs and the media because they wouldn't have got into this position in the first place. They'd have not done these things or done something differently.

It seems to me that Labour are now often interviewed as though they were the ones doing these things - as if they are in power and not the Tories - an impression often amplified by the Tories not putting people up to defend their own policies - or putting people who have little or nothing to do with them up.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Barbara Keeley ‏@KeeleyMP 5m5 minutes ago
Appalling answer from Care Minister to my Health Q today about care sector in crisis. Care providers need Govt to fund £1.7 for Nat Min Wage

Barbara Keeley ‏@KeeleyMP 3m3 minutes ago
Tory Govt brings in measures to increase Nat Min Wage, this needs to be funded for care sector. Care Minister asks me to suggest how to fund
(my bold)

See this is a big part of the problem. Labour is constantly being asked to say how they would fund '***ing Tory policy. They wouldn't and they shouldn't be being asked this by Tory MPs and the media because they wouldn't have got into this position in the first place. They'd have not done these things or done something differently.

It seems to me that Labour are now often interviewed as though they were the ones doing these things - as if they are in power and not the Tories - an impression often amplified by the Tories not putting people up to defend their own policies - or putting people who have little or nothing to do with them up.
Exactly!
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Who exactly do they think will replace him, anyway? Chuka? Tristram?
I would think Burnham. Chuka and all have been the most anti-Corbyn, but that doesn't mean they think of one of them can take over.
I doubt that very much. Burnham was 'Continuity Miliband' according to Hugo and all the other 'moderate' idiots. He was the compromise soft-left candidate of more or less the exact same political stripe that the 'moderates' had spent 2007-2015 undermining. If Burnham had won they'd be going after him almost as hard as they are with Corbyn.

In any case, Burnham had his opportunity to energise the membership and the wider electorate, and failed. What makes the 'moderates' think he will do any better now?
Burnham is not leadership matarial, I thought that had been demonstrated more than once. Hee would make a good minister, no doubt about it, just not a PM. Corbyn is only not credible because of the shouting. It is like the anti Ed hysteria, but this time on steroids. Same culprits in and outside of the party. I have no idea how you shut them up, reduce their influence, but they are the toxic fulcrum of our politics, spinning or static, creating the huge polarities. They have ripped apart the safe haven of the people who knew where to go when tory policies hit them too hard. It has in one sense been a very successful destabilisation of the nation, I always felt it was a coup, and my thoughts on this have not changed. Outside of this there has been a lot of talk about the need for a movement and that does, I think, exist. But so do other movements. Holding firm in such times is a neccessity, not an option. I'm very dismayed by the craziness of it all, I mean, English independence, what on eaarth does it mean?

I still see Corbyn as speaking more truth than the rest. As I have said before he has surprised me in this. I'm not averse to Abbott writing her Christmas cards either, better than opening her mouth. But why all the reported shouting, and wheres the discussion? Knee jerking, all of it. Ignore.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ rebeccariots2

I thought of creating a signature containing your words about media portraying Labour as if they're the government and not Tories. The magnitude of this ongoing deceit can't be underestimated. How do Labour, or anyone outside mainstream media, countermand this? I don't know.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

NATIONAL INSURANCE RISE FOR MILLIONS
http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... lions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@ seeingclearly

Exactly what I thought ! She's dedicated to listening more often than speaking!
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Willow904 wrote:
He should know. Wars are won by who put how many dollars and how much hardware in, and when and to whom. The maths and economics of all this are sickening. When people talk of nihilism I'm hard pressed to discern where the worst of it is. We shouldn't be going in. We should be looking honestly at the reasons why all this is manifesting right now. The truth and consequences of it all. Fox and his ilk are a part of all this. Sure, there is a need to limit Isis, but thats only part of the picture. What can our involvement do other than make matters worse. If there are any real answers then I'd love to know. Its not enough to say we'll be involved but we promise we will not lose too many of our own. Isn't enough laid waste already?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Daily Mail 2015:

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

They were a little less subtle back in the day.

ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

NATIONAL INSURANCE RISE FOR MILLIONS
http://paullewismoney.blogspot.co.uk/20 ... lions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"The change will wipe out the 1% pay rise scheduled for many of the 4.5 million public sector workers from April"
"Anyone with a current gross pay of £22,346 or more will be worse off"
"The NHS in particular expects to face £1 billion a year in extra expenditure"

This is grim.

I've emailed the link - thank you, RR2 - to John McDonnell.

People are in for a nasty shock. How long have we been saying that the working poor are gong to be hit by Osborne when/if Universal Credit comes in, and how long have we been saying that he will work his way up the food chain? Here's the evidence.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

citizenJA wrote:@ rebeccariots2

I thought of creating a signature containing your words about media portraying Labour as if they're the government and not Tories. The magnitude of this ongoing deceit can't be underestimated. How do Labour, or anyone outside mainstream media, countermand this? I don't know.
As I wrote the other night the confusion around this is so great that there are many people who now believe that parliament actually is the government and some kind of powersharing is going on. This has not been helped by all the 'they are all the same' and red tory memes. People are genuinely confused. With the amount of bewildering changes that have occurred they believe this is one of them. It was a staggering realisation to those of us who saw this. Under cover of this the Tories are getting away with more than anyone could have dreamt possible.

On a different point altogether I am reminded that I saw a post yesterday with no link about a new thing from HMRC where single women with families are having to provide their divorce papers in order to qualify for tax credits, if they can't their spplication could be considered fraud etc. etc.

The post was the text of what seemed to be a standard letter to women in this category. No divorce papers, no money, and possible prosecution. It's a sore point for me, because way back I was in this position with the DWP, and know the consequences of such things. So I could really empathise with the person who was terrified by this letter.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 13m13 minutes ago
Not Corbyn stopping Cameron having vote on military action in Syria now. He's not convinced his own party. #where'sthatmajoritygone?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

yahyah wrote:They were a little less subtle back in the day.

The continuity is frightening. I remember asoects of this and the cartoon from radio in the fifties, at a long distance from political broadcasts in the sixties and seventies, and from newspapers people brought over - their personal comments too - and walking slap bang into it in the late 70s. As a disabled person travelling through the nether regions of Heathrow a couple of years ago these attitudes were written in official language on the walls. Theresa May specials. You know what the score is when you are crammed into a tiny room with 200 foreign born mothers and pre-school children all scheduled to receive anti-tb jabs at 2 pm. (late70s) I still hear similar stories of things that bear a close resemblance. If people ever did believe in milk and honey and easy free houses then they aren't writing home about it, the lived experience is something else indeed. You have to be very affluent and have very good advance plans for emigration to avoid it, immigrating to this country is no piece of cake if you or your partner are from the wrong part of the world. Now extended further than ever before.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 13m13 minutes ago
Not Corbyn stopping Cameron having vote on military action in Syria now. He's not convinced his own party. #where'sthatmajoritygone?
A Nick Robinson typo. Surely "his" should read "His"?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good point from Ken Livinstone, on Radio 4, about whether we no longer have the capability to respond quickly and effectively to terrorist attacks because of cuts.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

War with fewer bodies, when did we hear that one before? Cameron, your arguments stink.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: Who exactly do they think will replace him, anyway? Chuka? Tristram?
I doubt that very much. Burnham was 'Continuity Miliband' according to Hugo and all the other 'moderate' idiots. He was the compromise soft-left candidate of more or less the exact same political stripe that the 'moderates' had spent 2007-2015 undermining. If Burnham had won they'd be going after him almost as hard as they are with Corbyn.

In any case, Burnham had his opportunity to energise the membership and the wider electorate, and failed. What makes the 'moderates' think he will do any better now?
Burnham's not been judged by the wider electorate.

Michael Howard came last of 5 in 1997, and later got the call to replace IDS.

Burnham was 2nd in the Labour leadership contest, albeit distantly.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

What's happened on the HoL vote re allowing 16 and 17 year olds to vote in the EU referendum? Anyone? I think it was meant to be happening today.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ben Blood ‏@ImportantBlogs 3m3 minutes ago
House of Commons this afternoon rejected a Lords amendments to the Devolution Act which would have given 16/17yo the vote in local elections
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wow, sounds of the wind outside are scary.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Ben Blood ‏@ImportantBlogs 3m3 minutes ago
House of Commons this afternoon rejected a Lords amendments to the Devolution Act which would have given 16/17yo the vote in local elections
Oh. Pants. Double pants ... no, make that triple pants. Nothing today, so far, to lift the spirits a teensy weensy bit.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TobyLatimer wrote:Caroline Lucas said in the House 27 Feb 2014 - "If a link could be proven, there would be a case for corporate manslaughter"

Don't know how this could work against IDS though, given that one of the first things he did was to remove his obligation of a 'duty of care'. Which also puzzles me, how could he without an act of Parliament ?
I'm not a lawyer, but a glance at the convictions under the Corporate Manslaughter Law suggests it's very unlikely IDS or ATOS could be prosecuted for Corporate Manslaughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate ... onvictions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They look like fairly straightforward "X killed at work by something falling on them" cases.

One of my problems with small parties, with no interest in being in government, is that they're prone to this sort of "we should go further" stuff. The Lib Dems used to be great ones for it, it's not just something the Greens do. I think it raises false hopes.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TobyLatimer wrote:Caroline Lucas said in the House 27 Feb 2014 - "If a link could be proven, there would be a case for corporate manslaughter"

Don't know how this could work against IDS though, given that one of the first things he did was to remove his obligation of a 'duty of care'. Which also puzzles me, how could he without an act of Parliament ?
I'm not a lawyer, but a glance at the convictions under the Corporate Manslaughter Law suggests it's very unlikely IDS or ATOS could be prosecuted for Corporate Manslaughter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate ... onvictions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They look like fairly straightforward "X killed at work by something falling on them" cases.

One of my problems with small parties, with no interest in being in government, is that they're prone to this sort of "we should go further" stuff. The Lib Dems used to be great ones for it, it's not just something the Greens do. I think it raises false hopes.
The human rights case would seem better, there was no due diligence, no impact assessments and anything that might have mitigated the policies in term of changing the detail has been vigourously denied to the point of taking it to the highet courts in the land, using the law to protect political decisions instead of people. As to culpability though, I am sure that IDS will haave covered his back well. Someone else will be expected to fall on their sword if it ever gets to that point. Diplomacy being what it is, I doubt it will. Which is why he laughs, he is untouchable and knows it.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

yahyah wrote:Wow, sounds of the wind outside are scary.
Scary here too, I didnt think it would be. Sounds of things skittering along the roads, and howling chimneypots.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Who are the 'moderates'?
I'm not having a go at anyone, I genuinely want to know.
The right wing of the Labour party. They are permitted to be called 'moderates' because people still like to think of a single continuum on which the parties sit. The truth is that many of the so-called Labour moderates hold pretty Thatcherite economic views (just with a bit more redistribution) and are pretty 'crime and punishment', much more so than some libertarian Tories. This is what amused me about the LibDems appealing for Labour rightwingers to defect to them - because they tended to be the ones who were cheerleaders for military action and lock-em-up law and order which the LibDems so vociferously opposed when not in government.
How many proper hawks are left though? Not one Labour MP voted with Cameron over Syria.

Labour was very poor in opposing Clarke's modest attempts to reduce the prison population, but I don't think that's a particularly deeply held view among MPs. Gove's talked about letting the population, and I didn't see much in the way of Labour outrage at that.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

yahyah wrote:Good point from Ken Livinstone, on Radio 4, about whether we no longer have the capability to respond quickly and effectively to terrorist attacks because of cuts.
It will be worse in the future, given the MoD cuts, and the fact that we are planning to put all our eggs in the Trident replacement basket
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Michael Howard came last of 5 in 1997, and later got the call to replace IDS.
And a little after that gained only 33 seats after two Labour terms and the Iraq War, failed to get the leadership election system changed, and resigned. I would suggest he is a pretty awful example of what Labour should seek to do. The whole Howard leadership was a case of the parliamentary party attempting to stitch up the membership, anyway - something the PLP might look to.
I wasn't saying Labour should follow it, and it couldn't replace the leader like that without a contest anyway.

Howard improved things though. Importantly, he stopped trying to out-hawk Blair and introduced a bit of scepticism about Bush's tactics. With IDS in charge, Blair would have looked like a moderate. The Lib Dems were the main beneficiary, but it all helped hurt Labour.

Burnham is more electable than Howard was. I think, if it comes to a head soon, he's the one that the Chuka and all will want. They've surely learnt from Kendall losing by a mile.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: And a little after that gained only 33 seats after two Labour terms and the Iraq War, failed to get the leadership election system changed, and resigned. I would suggest he is a pretty awful example of what Labour should seek to do. The whole Howard leadership was a case of the parliamentary party attempting to stitch up the membership, anyway - something the PLP might look to.
I wasn't saying Labour should follow it, and it couldn't replace the leader like that without a contest anyway.

Howard improved things though. Importantly, he stopped trying to out-hawk Blair and introduced a bit of scepticism about Bush's tactics. With IDS in charge, Blair would have looked like a moderate. The Lib Dems were the main beneficiary, but it all helped hurt Labour.

Burnham is more electable than Howard was. I think, if it comes to a head soon, he's the one that the Chuka and all will want. They've surely learnt from Kendall losing by a mile.
I'd like to think so. But that wing of the party attacked Brown from within, then it did the same to Miliband, now it's doing the same to Corbyn. What makes you think they have learned, or can learn, anything? They want a Blairite leader, not another compromise candidate.
I don't think Burnham would get the support - either from enough of the PLP - or from the membership. He failed to convince us last time. But perhaps more to the point ... I don't think he'd put himself up for leader for a third time. It must have been absolutely crushing last time. There would be the inevitable third time lucky baggage to add to the Mid Staffs and any other baggage those that don't like him want to saddle him with.

I fear you are right anyway ... those that don't want Corbyn don't want anyone that isn't Blair mark 2 - or, as Cameron is meant to be more or less that, mark 3 perhaps.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There isn't a Blairite candidate in the shorter term. The last one got under 5%. Do you think eg Umunna is sat there thinking "I'd have got another 45%"?

If it were 3 years time, then there'd probably be someone else who'd emerged. In the shorter term though, it would have to be Burnham, I think. Doesn't mean that the Blairite ultras would be loyal to him once they'd got him elected.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I don't think the Blairites in the Commons behaved particularly badly, apart from Murphy. I thought Umunna, for instance, behaved well enough. It was more Mandelson, Milburn causing trouble, plus the "liberal media".
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

seeingclearly wrote:
The human rights case would seem better, there was no due diligence, no impact assessments and anything that might have mitigated the policies in term of changing the detail has been vigourously denied to the point of taking it to the highet courts in the land, using the law to protect political decisions instead of people. As to culpability though, I am sure that IDS will haave covered his back well. Someone else will be expected to fall on their sword if it ever gets to that point. Diplomacy being what it is, I doubt it will. Which is why he laughs, he is untouchable and knows it.
You're right - the DWP has no "duty of care" and the ministers are not accountable in law for the deaths (untoward, or suicides).

But - it is the duty of government to ensure that policies are fit for purpose. Of course, that depends on what the purpose is.....

In the case of social security, historically at least, new benefits have been brought in gradually with mitigation over time as/when problems arise; and impact assessments have been good practice for many years when changes of the magnitude of the WRA and the H&SC Act are debated in both Houses and discussed at committee stage.
But Grayling pushed the WRA through by invoking Commons Financial Privilege - and as a total impact assessment was judged "too difficult" (even though the CAB and others did their own) t was never going to happen.

As I said earlier - nobody "has" to claim benefits. Those who do must comply with the conditions. The WRA has ensured that those conditions can be altered as and when ministers see fit.
There are no official targets. There are "projections" and "expectations", and any evidence that DWP staff are imposing targets is explained away by "over-zealous" local management.

IDS is untouchable - and he insists that he is "helping" people, he insists that he wants to tackle what he calls the root causes of poverty, and he will continue to get away with this until he is either unseated or we get a new government - or the cases currently being examined by UN Special Rapporteurs result in a human rights case brought against DWP.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

seeingclearly wrote:
citizenJA wrote:@ rebeccariots2

As I wrote the other night the confusion around this is so great that there are many people who now believe that parliament actually is the government and some kind of powersharing is going on. This has not been helped by all the 'they are all the same' and red tory memes. People are genuinely confused. With the amount of bewildering changes that have occurred they believe this is one of them. It was a staggering realisation to those of us who saw this. Under cover of this the Tories are getting away with more than anyone could have dreamt possible.

On a different point altogether I am reminded that I saw a post yesterday with no link about a new thing from HMRC where single women with families are having to provide their divorce papers in order to qualify for tax credits, if they can't their spplication could be considered fraud etc. etc.

The post was the text of what seemed to be a standard letter to women in this category. No divorce papers, no money, and possible prosecution. It's a sore point for me, because way back I was in this position with the DWP, and know the consequences of such things. So I could really empathise with the person who was terrified by this letter.
Apologies for taking a couple hours to get back to this excellent post...I thought of your post the other day when I wrote it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: I wasn't saying Labour should follow it, and it couldn't replace the leader like that without a contest anyway.

I'd like to think so. But that wing of the party attacked Brown from within, then it did the same to Miliband, now it's doing the same to Corbyn. What makes you think they have learned, or can learn, anything? They want a Blairite leader, not another compromise candidate.
I don't think Burnham would get the support - either from enough of the PLP - or from the membership. He failed to convince us last time. But perhaps more to the point ... I don't think he'd put himself up for leader for a third time. It must have been absolutely crushing last time. There would be the inevitable third time lucky baggage to add to the Mid Staffs and any other baggage those that don't like him want to saddle him with.

I fear you are right anyway ... those that don't want Corbyn don't want anyone that isn't Blair mark 2 - or, as Cameron is meant to be more or less that, mark 3 perhaps.
It wouldn't matter who was elected Labour leader, the press would be doing exactly the same to him or her and the dissidents are just helping the media to make them unelectable.

I'm sorry, but if they manage to unseat Corbyn before he's had a proper chance then they'll not get my vote or my money in future.
I won't vote against them, but I won't vote for them because the reforms we so desperately need won't be forthcoming if Mandelson's clique get their way. I refuse to support their arrogance.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Wow, sounds of the wind outside are scary.
Yes - I went away from the computer to batten down the hatches.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The online news from the G is depressing as hell.