Weekend Edition - Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th March 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Re: Weekend Edition - Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th March 2016

Post by ephemerid »

Chapeau duly doffed to HindleA.

You, my friend, are right to express your view that we should be factual.

My furious and, yes, emotional, reaction to this comes from the constant nagging fear I have that my income could be removed at whim.
I am one of millions who live in far of the brown envelope - and I know you have been there too.

With every new scheme/wheeze/imposition/whatever that this mob of fascists call reform and dress up - by dint of preposterous misuse of what is already psychobabble - as "support", I get angrier. I'm aware that this does me no favours.

These people are utter scum.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Following on from the good feedback my beach dog walker acquaintance gave to me about the Welsh Labour conference ... I heard two other members of our branch give similar reports today. Based on their remarks John McDonnell was a big surprise ... they loved him.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Juncker actually said it.jpg
He doesn't like Cameron at all - does he?
Ren-tool does, though :sick:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

The deeply unlovely Priti Patel is launching "Women For Britain" with UKIP's "go-suck-a-lemon" Suzanne Evans and "female business leaders".

There's nice.

I am now following them on Twits.

They're having a nice little party in the Smeaton Room at One Great George St. SW1. From 10am to 12 noon.
It's very very swish indeed.
If you want to hire it yourself, it's £925 for a half day. You can get special hourly rates in certain circumstances.
That's before any food, drink, or VAT.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall there....
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Willow904 wrote:
HindleA wrote:http://www.chad.co.uk/news/local/sutton ... -1-7774661.

Sutton family’s disgust as disabled toddler not allowed on a bus
Good example of how the law can only go so far and that civilised society depends, at the end of the day, on all people playing their part and being civil. As a bus driver, my husband has encountered many incidences like this. On a good day, other passengers on the bus will back him up and shame obstructors into giving way, but if they refuse to move he has no power to compel them. The law requires buses to provide access and space for a wheelchair but there is no law against other customers occupying that space so the system is essentially relying on courtesy. Having said that, my husband has on occasion had to turn wheelchair users away because there are already maximum wheelchair users on board and that is just as frustrating for those who have to wait for another bus, just as it is for anyone who is left at the bus stop because the bus is full. So the answer is probably more buses and more adaptable spaces so more people, with pushchairs and wheelchairs, with suitcases or bulky purchases, can all travel conveniently and safely and courtesy once again becomes those little extra attentions that makes a journey pleasant rather than a necessity you are relying on in order to make a journey at all.
To point out the ridiculous nature of a lot of what has been discussed here today, and this even applies to the case also posted about the person who became deaf, the barriers to work are very significant, and do not reside in disabled peoples thinking. Would we accept for instance a bus service that would only carry one woman, or one otherwise gendered person, or visibly different person? Of course we would not. Transport is a major issue not just for wheelchair users but for other mobility impaired people, and there is a big loss in terms of consideration for their needs that has intensified in recent years to the point of abuse. If they can't deal with the public transport barriers effectively then they are talking through their hats on employment and on incentives. Here is the first major barrier outside the home, and a genuine cost implication for disabled people. Taking a daily taxi to work, especially when re-entering, and perhaps doing fewer hours, could eat such a major hole in ones personal income that normal life becomes impossible. And there are many with both hidden and visible disabilities in the WRAG with no DLA/PIP for whom thirty quid makes exactly that difference, to be able to get to the doctors or the hospital or the jobcentre they have to attend or be sanctioned.

All credit to your husband for being on this particular front line. Having seen how it can play out he deserves some special thanks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Home made walnut cake with chocolate topping anyone ?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

AKA Priti Vacant

as some are calling her.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

ohsocynical

Yum
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Home made walnut cake with chocolate topping anyone ?
Mr Riots will be right over.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:AKA Priti Vacant

as some are calling her.
Yes - I've thought of her by that name ever since she came to my attention with her writin' and public speakin'. In fact, she's Priti nasty and appallin' altogether.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:ohsocynical

Yum
Never made it with chocolate topping before, and only had a bar of milk chocolate in my ingredient cupboard so used that. It's totally delicious ... :D
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Chapeau duly doffed to HindleA.

You, my friend, are right to express your view that we should be factual.

My furious and, yes, emotional, reaction to this comes from the constant nagging fear I have that my income could be removed at whim.
I am one of millions who live in far of the brown envelope - and I know you have been there too.

With every new scheme/wheeze/imposition/whatever that this mob of fascists call reform and dress up - by dint of preposterous misuse of what is already psychobabble - as "support", I get angrier. I'm aware that this does me no favours.

These people are utter scum.
You know, I can't figure out who the hell all is involved in this here - we've got

NHS Islington Clinical Commissioning Group
http://www.islingtonccg.nhs.uk/
http://www.islingtonccg.nhs.uk/about-us ... g-body.htm
[20 different people]
The Islington Employment Services Board
- Islington Council
- Department for Work and Pensions
- Islington CCG
- Elizabeth Garrett Anderson School
- K & M Decorators
- Macquarie Group
Officer leads
– Overall implementation lead and Employers Creating Change
– Creating change for the people who need it
– Creating change for the next generation
The Islington Employment Commission
http://www.islington.gov.uk/advice/empl ... fault.aspx
http://www.islington.gov.uk/advice/empl ... oners.aspx
- The Experience Corps
- Family Mosaic
– Timewise Foundation
- City and Islington College
- Institute of Public Policy Research
- Jobcentre Plus
- Trades Union Congress
- Linklaters
- Women Like Us
- "The case studies...compiled and conducted by"...four different people unknown, without role titles.
http://www.islington.gov.uk/publicrecor ... v-2015.pdf

Who's responsible for what? I just gotta see my GP!
I didn't give the names, not out of privacy concerns but to better illustrate the number of different entities producing
this gig in its entirety. No wonder the National Audit Office (NAO) shakes their head at government goings on.

Islington Council has forty-eight locally elected councillors on a completely different website linked below.
Only three of them have anything to do with the project above.
Some of the governing board of the NHS Clinical Commissioning Group (linked above) are elected.

http://democracy.islington.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I think it is a woeful idea,the report is an example of appropriation with every second word gobbledygook plus as fits best practice.
Last edited by HindleA on Sat 05 Mar, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Home made walnut cake with chocolate topping anyone ?
bless you
after trawling through the 'Work Better in the GP Examining Room' marketing thing, I do appreciate it
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:I think it is a woeful idea,the report is an example of appropriation with every second word gobbleygook plus as fits best practice.
holy cow!
as someone who's also read the thing, I agree with you
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

My better half couldn't get out of the house,independently for a year,just to provide some context.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I was pointed in the direction of this today ...

Another Europe is Possible
https://www.facebook.com/AnotherEuropeIsPossible/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.anothereurope.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I see NiMo has been at it again with the Big Lie.

FFS! Why isn't there one person who challenges this nonsense whenever it comes out?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

I don't know much.

But I know this - if some dipstick from Remploy/Maximarse pretends to want to "support" me they'll get my walking stick on their bonce.

I have customised said stick with gorgeous swirly colours, but I'll risk a chip or several for the greater good of dealing with my chips.

I'm a very well-balanced person, I'd have you know. I've a chip on both shoulders.

Boom Boom.

(I'm here all week, unless the Brown Envelope of Doom sends me off to the funny farm)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I was also pointed in the direction of this - which I am currently reading with much interest.

Equality in the Countryside: A Rural Manifesto for the Parliamentary Opposition
http://landworkersalliance.org.uk/wp-co ... al-low.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

HindleA wrote:My better half couldn't get out of the house,independently for a year,just to provide some context.
'And therein lies one of the problems, A, what you say is purely anecdotal and ready to be shouted down by the "Yaboo, Sucks' commentariat. Neither was my wife after her stroke during which time I had given up employed work and worked at home around my new found duties. As for my daughter, she has never been able to leave the house independently and she is now thirty.s

Believe it or not I am actually grateful that my wife is no longer around to be subjected to the likes of WCAs or DWP abuse and that my daughter was correctly assessed for hers. Am I right in thinking that they're used to assess PIP. What work capability has to do with my daughter's condition and eligibility for assistance is beyond me. Having heard some tales of WCAs and sanctions for even the bedbound I'm pleased I've not had to prove my wife's paralysis for the last year of her life.

I've previously expressed my disgust at Cameron's DLA claim for an infant child, having refrained myself until needs must, plus I wonder at IDS and what may have been claimed for his wife's illness. It's not that I deny them the right it's their attitude toward others, conveniently portrayed as making the tough choices, that thoroughly sicken me.

Oh yeah, I meant to add that any 'compassionate' Tory MP that currently sits in the House should not support the government. So Heidi Allen, and others, please be as good as your word. Actions are what count.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 05 Mar, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I was pointed in the direction of this today ...

Another Europe is Possible
https://www.facebook.com/AnotherEuropeIsPossible/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.anothereurope.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you, Ms.Riots.

There are some good people in the list of supporters....but no Yanis V, which surprised me a bit.

Perhaps he's a bit busy with all the other stuff he does - he's written some good things about why we should stay in on his blog.

yanisvaroufakis.eu - the latest is on why he thinks a Brexit could collapse the EU and return it to the chaos of the 1930's.

Hyperbolic at times - but I like his style.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I've just been told that my keypad is not a typewriter, I'm banging the keys so hard.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

‘Thank you for serving me when I didn’t vote for you’: A Republican writes the president after Obamacare saved his life
http://qz.com/630806/thank-you-for-serv ... -his-life/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I was also pointed in the direction of this - which I am currently reading with much interest.

Equality in the Countryside: A Rural Manifesto for the Parliamentary Opposition
http://landworkersalliance.org.uk/wp-co ... al-low.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, rebecca, skimmed first page and saved for later.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I can hear you from here and a whooshing sound of a stick in combat training emanating from Welsh border area.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Lineker appearance in underwear gets a bit more likely.This is a crisp reference.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

You speak of chips, ephe. Pray tell, how many notches has your stick?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Walnut cake munching from Reading.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Can someone explain to me what the selling points of driverless cars are? Why are we going to want / need them? I see hints of them being supposedly safer - presumably controlled speeds, automatic braking / stopping etc. I can also see they might be a great addition for people who may not be able to drive / get out otherwise. But are they going to be mainly a city and motorway vehicle rather than a rural mode of transport? I find the idea of not having control - being able to use initiative - on the twisting, narrow and hilly lanes around here pretty scary.

Heard the tail end of a news snippet today talking about driverless freight trucks. I've also seen references to driverless taxis. Is this probably the way it's going to go - getting rid of the need to employ paid drivers?

Edited to spell tail properly.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Sat 05 Mar, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Can someone explain to me what the selling points of driverless cars are? Why are we going to want / need them? I see hints of them being supposedly safer - presumably controlled speeds, automatic braking / stopping etc. I can also see they might be a great addition for people who may not be able to drive / get out otherwise. But are they going to be mainly a city and motorway vehicle rather than a rural mode of transport? I find the idea of not having control - being able to use initiative - on the twisting, narrow and hilly lanes around here pretty scary.

Heard the tale end of a news snippet today talking about driverless freight trucks. I've also seen references to driverless taxis. Is this probably the way it's going to go - getting rid of the need to employ paid drivers?
I haven't the slightest idea.
I've yet to read anything about the issues you've described - I've search and have found nothing making sense.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tory climbdown over pay-to-stay plan to raise social housing rents
Partial U-turn part of bid to clear decks ahead of Europe referendum poll day

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... -climbdown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... Ministers are preparing a climbdown over controversial plans to force hundreds of thousands of social housing tenants to pay market rents once they earn more than £30,000 a year – as they “clear the decks” of controversial policies ahead of the EU referendum.

George Osborne has abandoned a package of radical pension reforms, including cuts to tax relief for higher earners, for fear of upsetting voters and causing a political distraction. The Observer now understands that ministers are also planning to modify hugely contentious elements of the housing reforms the chancellor announced last summer.

A retreat on the “pay to stay” policy – which is under attack from a cross-party group in the House of Lords – will be seen as part of an attempt to avoid issues that could create negative headlines before the 23 June vote.

Ministers have also delayed a range of controversial decisions until after the referendum, including those on expanding airport capacity in the south-east and the future of the BBC. The Queen’s Speech, which lays out the government’s upcoming legislative programme, has also been put back until after the vote...
See it's manipulation and rigging like this that almost wants me to vote Out in the EU ref in the hopes that it will give Dave and Osborne the biggest problems of their political lives ... and make these stupid shenanigans totally pointless. But I won't give in to that as a motive.

I welcome this climb down on the 'pay to stay' but it is only partial. It's tapering the increase in rents rather than cliff edge increases - but tenants will still be clobbered for a massive increase if the household income is £50,000. Now that might sound a lot - but if you've got two parents working and an adult child trying to save for a deposit or other major outgoing whilst living at home - it isn't. In fact in London - it could be two people working for the median wage.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Urgent question.Had a Mars Bar( in lieu of non arrival of wanut cake) for the first time in some years.Has it actually changed its taste to that extent or have the intervening tobacco and tea partaking years distorted my taste buds.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Can someone explain to me what the selling points of driverless cars are? Why are we going to want / need them? I see hints of them being supposedly safer - presumably controlled speeds, automatic braking / stopping etc. I can also see they might be a great addition for people who may not be able to drive / get out otherwise. But are they going to be mainly a city and motorway vehicle rather than a rural mode of transport? I find the idea of not having control - being able to use initiative - on the twisting, narrow and hilly lanes around here pretty scary.

Heard the tale end of a news snippet today talking about driverless freight trucks. I've also seen references to driverless taxis. Is this probably the way it's going to go - getting rid of the need to employ paid drivers?
Vis-a-vis driverless trains, they would still require a responsible person on board, just not a skilled, well paid person. Same with buses. In the case of a fire, for instance, someone would have to be present to evacuate the vehicle etc. They'd just be bored and low paid in between being needed as far as I can tell. As you say, there is much talk about this and all our jobs being taken by over by robots and how it will create huge problems - which begs the obvious question of why do it then?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A mars a day makes you work rest and rift repeatedly.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA - living where I do, we occasionally observe pongos doing exercises on a beacon now and then; even more fun is when the regiment trainees pretend to be hedges - they forget that a) we have dry-stone walls round these parts and b) hedges don't get up and walk off wearing barely disguised Para berets......although I'm sure that if I asked one nicely I could get some close combat tips.

utopiandreams - notches schmotches. I am after one scalp, and one scalp only - that of George Perugia Nosferatu Thickbastard Serialfailure Smiff. I don't care if he has a Close Protection Squad detail, or a fully-armed-with-Kalashnikovs police escort. I will get my regiment pals out of their hedge disguises, insist they train me in black ops, and bring them along. They do love a little scrap, bless 'em.

Ms.Riots - the point of Osborne's cunning plans to have long caterpillar-esque convoys of driverless lorries is to ensure that nobody driving a vehicle, who thus isn't in the convoy, can get off the motorways. As the lorrycaterpillardriverlessthingies will be in the left-hand lanes at all times, for miles probably, anyone who ventures on to the M6 will never ever get off it. Bit like now, really.....

That was an information session brought to you Islingatosmaxicrapitavirginontheridiculous on behalf of the govukmultideptconsortium.
That will be £850,000.76p plus VAT.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Btw, regarding the above about driverless cars - I don't think it's an imminent issue:
http://news.sky.com/story/1650970/googl ... s-into-bus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Google Driverless Car Crashes Into Bus
The accident could be the first time one of the company's driverless vehicles has caused an accident in autonomous mode.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

HindleA - Mars bars have more sugar in 'em now, I swear.

But then my tastebuds have been altered in a similar fashion to yours, I think.

On that happy note, I'm off to make some builders' tea and to watch "Trapped" which is completely brilliant.

Night all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Night
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:Urgent question.Had a Mars Bar( in lieu of non arrival of wanut cake) for the first time in some years.Has it actually changed its taste to that extent or have the intervening tobacco and tea partaking years distorted my taste buds.
I've never stopped eating Mars Bars (mini ones, anyway) so although I'm not aware they've changed, I may have been slowly conditioned over time.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ephemerid wrote:HindleA - Mars bars have more sugar in 'em now, I swear.

On that happy note, I'm off to make some builders' tea and to watch "Trapped" which is completely brilliant.

Night all.
Night. And yes, Trapped is brilliant.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Bernard Jenkin ‏@bernardjenkin 10h10 hours ago
Bernard Jenkin Retweeted Peter Oborne
Er, do you remember when we used to be in favour of tax simplification? And even 'flat taxes'? #CapturedByTheSystem

Peter Oborne
‏@OborneTweets
Amazing fact from @CPSThinkTank. Tolleys Tax Guide has near doubled to 10 million words under Osborne. My Mail col: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... miser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Yes they did used to be in favour of that, didn't they? Osborne seems to have been complicating rather than simplifying. And when Cameron's glorious renegotiated EU deal comes into force - IDS / DWP and HMRC will have another set of benefit complications to work out and apply - 28 variations over 4 years and counting.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... -mackenzie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"So we were asking people in financial anxiety to do more to manage their money, even though their cognitive bandwidth is demonstrably reduced simply by the anxiety.”

"Still their fault"-I don't believe people were actually asked,I may be wrong.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Complexification
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:HindleA - Mars bars have more sugar in 'em now, I swear.

Night all.
Goodnight, Ephemerid
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Bernard Jenkin ‏@bernardjenkin 10h10 hours ago
Bernard Jenkin Retweeted Peter Oborne
Er, do you remember when we used to be in favour of tax simplification? And even 'flat taxes'? #CapturedByTheSystem

Peter Oborne
‏@OborneTweets
Amazing fact from @CPSThinkTank. Tolleys Tax Guide has near doubled to 10 million words under Osborne. My Mail col: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... miser.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Yes they did used to be in favour of that, didn't they? Osborne seems to have been complicating rather than simplifying. And when Cameron's glorious renegotiated EU deal comes into force - IDS / DWP and HMRC will have another set of benefit complications to work out and apply - 28 variations over 4 years and counting.
It's the Tory Chancellor I want the duel with.
Osborne.
The one without integrity falls over, Jeff.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Urgent question.Had a Mars Bar( in lieu of non arrival of wanut cake) for the first time in some years.Has it actually changed its taste to that extent or have the intervening tobacco and tea partaking years distorted my taste buds.
Mars Bars have way more sugar in them. I used to love them. Tried one of the small ones the otherday. I couldn't finish it.

None of the old favourites taste as they used to. Big company takeovers mean they mess around with the recipes.

Quality Street are a prime example. They are exactly the same as Roses now. The tubs of assorted chocolate sweets they sell at Christmas... Quality St, Roses, Celebrations...Put a blind fold on and see if you can taste the difference. I can't.

Cadbury's also has far more sugar that it used to. They're owned by Kraft. And they've messed around with the recipe for Creme eggs which caused an outcry.

They do say American Chocolate contains very little if any, cocoa.

The nearest I've found to how chocolate used to taste, is that sold by Aldi

And the biggest crime of all is how they've ruined Rowntrees Fruit gums !!!!!!!!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gingers for EU ‏@gingersforeu 2h2 hours ago
Britain should be leading, not leaving the EU. EU membership offers security, prosperity and a stronger society, let's lead in EU #EUref
Well that's certainly an original campaign grouping.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 42m42 minutes ago
Cameron expects a vote of non confidence after the referendum but will "stand and fight". See the Sunday Times.

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 38m38 minutes ago
The IN campaign is also trying to kill off the Wembley debate 2 days before the referendum. They think it will turn into a "circus".

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 38m38 minutes ago
Senior In campaigner tells Sunday Times BBC can't possibly vet 12,000 strong audience for Wembley debate and it will be Brexit free for all
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'Night, y'all
love
cJA