Tuesday 5th April 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 5th April 2016

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Barry Sheerman Retweeted
IFAW Westminster ‏@IFAWWestminster 17h17 hours ago
Court confirms NFU/Government’s claims of intimidation from badger cull protestors were exaggerated and misleading http://bit.ly/1UDBZwV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's actionable - right?
Misleading - lying - to law enforcement, court or officials working in a regulatory body is actionable.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:On holiday, maybe?

Can't say I've missed her overmuch tbh ;)
March 24th her last tweet. Hope she's recharging her sneer battery.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

PorFavor wrote:Where is Laura Kuenssberg?
Hasn't tweeted since March 24th, when, in case you needed a reminder, she thought this was the most important thing to share with the world

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak · Mar 24

@ChrisMasonBBC Jeremy Corbyn's brother 'part of Lambeth council meeting disruption'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35896821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Strong words from Corbyn, this pressure needs to continue.
Yes, I agree.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Seeing Cameron on the ropes, and thinking of Ed M, brought back this lovely moment

[youtube]tEgyHcoctZU[/youtube]
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

But.....but.......we got told that Ed was always hopeless at PMQs! :roll: :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Probably last day of summing up in the Hillsborough Inquest.

JFT 96 YNWA
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

HindleA wrote:Probably last day of summing up in the Hillsborough Inquest.

JFT 96 YNWA
Yes, this was what was reported yesterday.
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... s-11136368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Maeght wrote:
nickyinnorfolk wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:Loving the picture the BBC news app are using for the Cameron under pressure story :lol:
What was it? Think they've changed it (it's Dave Sexy Specs now).
Who was it who said - I think on here -

" Never trust a man with no lips"

Me I think. My mother's words. Never trust a man with thin or no lips and piggy eyes.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Panama Papers: Iceland prime minister seeks early poll

The prime minister of Iceland has asked the president to dissolve parliament after allegations he concealed millions of dollars worth of investments in an offshore company.

Sigmundur Gunnlaugsson had come under increasing pressure over documents showing he and his wife bought an offshore company in 2007.

He is one of dozens of leaders and former leaders around the world named in a huge leak from Panamanian law firm Mossack Fonseca.

This breaking news story is being updated and more details will be published shortly. Please refresh the page for the fullest version. (BBC News website)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35966412
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Where is Laura Kuenssberg?
Hasn't tweeted since March 24th, when, in case you needed a reminder, she thought this was the most important thing to share with the world

Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak · Mar 24

@ChrisMasonBBC Jeremy Corbyn's brother 'part of Lambeth council meeting disruption'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35896821" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
200K a year and extended breaks. Nice work if you can get it. I think we should demand a rebate on the licence fee.

Actually it'd be more appropriate if CCHQ paid her salary. :x
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Interesting question posed by someone on the Guardian politics live comments.

Anyone heard from the Tax Payers Alliance on the Panama Papers or have they gone to ground like La Kuenssberg and the other usual suspects?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Cameron holding his event at PwC. Marvelous.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

As David tells an audience in Birmingham that the Camerons have no offshore trusts, Samantha has reassured cat lovers everywhere that Larry is taking a short break and shall make a full recovery after his encounter with Mr. Pickles earlier today.

Domestic staff at Number 10 are reported to have seen Larry carrying an attaché case and leaving by the back door. He was wearing shades and a Panama hat.

Edit: changed a 'Cameron' to 'David'.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ScarletGas wrote:Interesting question posed by someone on the Guardian politics live comments.

Anyone heard from the Tax Payers Alliance on the Panama Papers or have they gone to ground like La Kuenssberg and the other usual suspects?
There was a bloke on the Nicky Campbell thing this morning. He basically trotted out the usual small-state rubbish and said tax was too complex then disappeared asap. In fairness to NC he did say before asking him anything, "you lot are a bit on the right aren't you', or summat similar.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Brace yourself for the next assault on the sick and disabled
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/04/0 ... -disabled/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
... The document also recommends the end of the Work Capability Assessment in its current form. This has been trailed in the media – most notably by The Sunday Times, which has reported that Mr Crabb wants to end the involvement of private firms in disability benefit assessment.

What that newspaper didn’t say is that the plan is to abolish Employment and Support Allowance altogether and roll sickness benefits into Universal Credit with “a single online application for the benefit, including a ‘Proximity to the Labour Market Diagnostic’ to determine a claimant’s distance from work and a health questionnaire”...
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 3m3 minutes ago
All these Cameron statements leave open the possibility that his mum or the family is a beneficiary of an offshore trust...
Quite. He's been as slippery and shifty as usual.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The undeclared war being waged on Britain’s wildlife by wealthy landowners
https://tompride.wordpress.com/2016/04/ ... andowners/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good summary of what is going on.

And this from linked League Against Cruel Sports statement rebutting allegations in MSM that they misspent a legacy.
The story is a shameful, politically motivated and unfounded attack referring to a legacy bequest of £3.5million which we are alleged to have wasted, but the truth is we haven’t spent any of it. Charities are being targetted in certain parts of the media at the moment, potentially as an attempted repeal of the Hunting Act is on the cards, so our supporters and anyone who looks closely at this will understand what this story is really about – trying to discredit opponents of hunting...

The Times has been running a series of articles against environmental and animal welfare groups and has criticised the League for using supporters funds to expose the illegal slaughter of thousands of turtle doves, expose the appalling treatment ‎of greyhounds by the racing industry that culminated in a damming Commons report, and to prosecute potentially illegal hunters in a case for which the police apologised and disciplined their own officers for dropping. This is exactly what our supporters expect, and will continue to get, from us. ...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 4m4 minutes ago
Labour row after Jon Trickett suggests council election defeat would be good result http://polho.me/1VsW0Fl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rather misleading interpretation of what Trickett actually said. And when you read the piece - surprise, surprise, the 'row' is actually based on Dugher and Kendall popping up to say these council elections must be absolutely wonderful for Labour or else Corbyn is toast ...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PoliticsHome ‏@politicshome 4m4 minutes ago
Labour row after Jon Trickett suggests council election defeat would be good result http://polho.me/1VsW0Fl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rather misleading interpretation of what Trickett actually said. And when you read the piece - surprise, surprise, the 'row' is actually based on Dugher and Kendall popping up to say these council elections must be absolutely wonderful for Labour or else Corbyn is toast ...
Gapes, Kendall, Dugher. Shock horror.

Did Mann, Leslie, Woodcock forget the memo? Disappointed there was no reference to FPDJ.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Sparrow has excelled himself with his analysis of Cameron's answer on offshore trusts. If ever you needed a primer on the MSM bubble and its total lack of interest in or concern for the wider implications of what politicians say and do, there it is.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Point is four years ago Labour had a pretty good night in the locals. Probably Ed's best moment electorally? So given what's happened since, this was always going to be a tough call for Labour, regardless of the leader.

On the other hand, Boris beat Ken. So, by the same token one might expect Labour to be struggling in London.

Funny how the media are starting to focus on the locals being bad for Jezza rather than London being bad for Dave isn't it? All ably abetted by the likes of Kendall for sure.

And remember I'm not in the Corbyn fan club (yet) ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... -regulator" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deaf school's closure was due to abuse of residents, says regulator
Watchdog details shocking allegations at Margate’s Westgate College, including of residents being pushed, hit and humiliated
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Sparrow fawning over the sophistry of Cameron. :sick:

Agree that if Goldsmith was ahead of Khan this would be a portrayed as a reflection of Corbyn's leadership.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not knowing who plays at Loftus Road should bar people from standing,the lack of knowledge is appalling,everybody knows it is Queens Park Athletic.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Point is four years ago Labour had a pretty good night in the locals. Probably Ed's best moment electorally? So given what's happened since, this was always going to be a tough call for Labour, regardless of the leader.

On the other hand, Boris beat Ken. So, by the same token one might expect Labour to be struggling in London.

Funny how the media are starting to focus on the locals being bad for Jezza rather than London being bad for Dave isn't it? All ably abetted by the likes of Kendall for sure.

2012 did, indeed, see easily the best Labour local election results of Ed's tenure.

The idea that they should *expect* to make gains on that is pretty risible and, frankly, only comes from those (whether in the party or media) with a pre-set agenda.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Point is four years ago Labour had a pretty good night in the locals. Probably Ed's best moment electorally? So given what's happened since, this was always going to be a tough call for Labour, regardless of the leader.

How can that be ? Isn't FTN a Corbyn-cult echo chamber ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Iceland's PM has resigned. (BBC)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

HindleA wrote:Not knowing who plays at Loftus Road should bar people from standing,the lack of knowledge is appalling,everybody knows it is Queens Park Athletic.
:lol: Despite being from Huddersfield, I did know the answer to all the three local questions Goldsmith failed on :dance:

There's a great post on the Groan article about that story, which I reproduce here
lanespurs3
2h ago

[Goldsmith has] really showed himself up in this campaign. Until the last few months I didn't really know much about him, other than the fact he was the son of a billionaire with a slightly questionable tax record and an apparently strong environmental conscience. He was also, by all accounts, a pretty decent MP.

I had no massive grudge against him. I wanted Khan to win, of course, but I didn't dislike Goldsmith as much as Boris, Osborne, Cameron, Gove, IDS, Morgan, Hunt and the rest. He seemed, if a little incompetent, aloof, out of touch and too rich for his own good, like a fairly OK fellow (for a Tory).

Since the election campaign has started his true colours have come out to play. That Guardian interview he did the other day was really revealing. He was paranoid, shifty, on edge, incoherent and a little deluded. His antipathy towards Khan was quite staggering.

His whole campaign has been tacky, low-rent and divisive. Racial profiling, dead cats, smears, attempts to paint Khan as extreme and friends with extremists, attempts to turn communities against each other, attempts to scaremonger people into voting Tory, attempts to say his close relationship with the government was an advantage (as if a close connection to Cameron and Osborne would be seen as a good thing) and that Khan and Corbyn couldn't be trusted because they were a danger to you, your security and your possessions. Pathetic, desperate stuff with all the hallmarks of Crosby.

He's also proved himself to be as bumbling, under-prepared and clueless as Boris. A man of the people among the privileged elite, but nowhere else. Someone who refuses to question Boris's awful legacy. A man who had to stand down from a disability charity because he voted in favour of cuts that would harm them. In fact, his voting record on welfare is pretty shocking for someone who likes to paint himself as someone different to your average Tory.

He might want to give off the impression of being an independent, free-spirited environmentalist, but his close ties with the super-rich, with Boris, with Cameron and Osborne, mean he doesn't understand the issues affecting ordinary Londoners - housing, transport, social cleansing, crime, etc - any more than Bojo did.

He shouldn't be purely judged on his background, his great wealth and his connections - that would be taking inverse snobbery of the worst kind - but it certainly doesn't help his cause. The idea of being ruled by a super rich, privately educated toff for another 4 years doesn't sit easily with me or, I'd wager, many Londoners.

The Evening Standard can do their best to get people to vote Goldsmith, but his lazy, negative, half-arsed campaign will do all the talking.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ITV’s Robert Peston has written a Facebook post about David Cameron’s comments about his late father’s offshore investment fund. Peston says Number 10 implied he was being “impertinent” when he tried (unsuccessfully, so far) to get clarification as to whether Cameron’s comments applied to his wife too.(Politics Live, Guardian)
Hoe dare he be impertinent to our esteemed PM.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

They'd have got better answers from me in the back of that taxi. Even I know which club plays at Loftus Road. But then my first allotment was round the back of Loftus Road - wonderful site - I used to do my Saturday tending to the sounds of roars and mass groans coming from the stands. Virginia Ironside - agony auntie - was my allotment neighbour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 39s39 seconds ago
“To be clear, the Prime Minister, his wife and their children do not benefit from any offshore funds." - No 10
Oooh - they're touchy eh.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

rebeccariots2 wrote:
“To be clear, the Prime Minister, his wife and their children do not benefit from any offshore funds." - No 10
Do not and will not?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
At the moment. However....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

No 10 say Cameron's wife and children do not benefit from offshore funds.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hope someone asks if they ever did benefit from offshore funds.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

yahyah wrote:Hope someone asks if they ever did benefit from offshore funds.
Or will do yahyah. What if it's all in trust for the kids?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

He still hasn't answered the question which was asked, though.

The question was -
Can you clarify that you and your family have not received a benefit from Blairmore Holdings fund?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 1m1 minute ago
Number Ten say its "Put up or Shut up" time for those questioning the Cameron family's tax affairs
Yeah, definitely very touchy.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wonder how long it would take to shift funds from an offshore account ?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm just an echo chamber, it would seem! Sorry, all.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Dave says it's "put up or shut up time" over tax.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 2m2 minutes ago
David Cameron looks like he has been bounced into his extraordinary teatime tax disclosure by Jeremy Corbyn. Weak.
Toby Young ‏@toadmeister 3m3 minutes ago
I's almost touching how over-excited the liberal left becomes when one of these scandals breaks. Their faces when Labour implodes in 2020!
It's obviously registering on the Toadometer.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Can Laura K just stay away? I'm digging Norman Smith ;-)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Dave says it's "put up or shut up time" over tax.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Golden opportunity missed there. He could have said, "Do you feel lucky, punk?" In fact, I'm rather surprised he didn't on account of his being such a pillock.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Vince Cable thinks that we should now leave poor DC alone. "Take it at face value."
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:He still hasn't answered the question which was asked, though.

The question was -
Can you clarify that you and your family have not received a benefit from Blairmore Holdings fund?
Yes, exactly. Ian Cameron died in 2010.

Also important to mention benefiting indirectly. eg trust money goes somewhere else before it goes to Cameron.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 1m1 minute ago
Number Ten say its "Put up or Shut up" time for those questioning the Cameron family's tax affairs
Yeah, definitely very touchy.
Ha ha ha ha.

Putting up an answer to the questions already asked would be a start.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I thought I'd already made the beneficiary abundantly clear, rebecca.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Could it be set up so benefits are deferred to a later date ? So No 10 could be being economical with the truth ?