Tuesday 24th May 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 24th May 2016

Post by ohsocynical »

chelley ryan ‏@chelleryn99 22m22 minutes ago

Bit concerned about @LabourEoin - he had dirt on the tories, now his websites down & he's not tweeting. Hope the buggers haven't got him!

:popcorn: :popcorn:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Well some good news, French police have raided Google offices re tax.
It puts our government and HMRC's pathetic deal making with Google and other global companies into very stark contrast. The French equivalent to our HMRC basically says it won't negotiate amounts of tax - you pay what they say you should pay.
Working on the wild side.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Loobyloo ‏@joanna_caron 19m19 minutes ago
North Yorkshire Tory voters are screaming injustice at their Tory council imposing fracking,but were happy to vote for misery on rest of us!
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

Loobyloo ‏@joanna_caron 6m6 minutes ago
@joanna_caron

They've campaigned vigorously against fracking, not heard them screaming about homelessness/child poverty/disability cuts etc!
Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
They expected local councillors who they knew and trusted to vote against. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Nothing about the Tory scandal yet ?
Oh well, it'll be a cup of tea and no news then.
(cJA edit)

Good-afternoon, yahyah, and everyone.
Looking forward to a good scandal, preferably one that shakes the Establishment off their feet. Guess we'll have to wait more time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I'm not at all surprised that the government is still in existence. But here's hoping something happens soon.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Got several bees in recuperation mode outside the porch door. Found battering themselves senseless against the skylight ... or on the floor below too tired to move. Now on a piece of card with little dabs of honey on it. Feeding themselves back to a bit of energy. We've had one take off so far ... expecting a few more soon.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
North Yorkshire Tory voters are screaming injustice at their Tory council imposing fracking,but were happy to vote for misery on rest of us!
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

They've campaigned vigorously against fracking, not heard them screaming about homelessness/child poverty/disability cuts etc!
Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
They expected local councillors who they knew and trusted to vote against. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Did they honestly expect Tories, even if they did know them, to turn their backs on what might turn out to be a big business chance?
I wouldn't call the voters naive or hard done by. I'd call them thick.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

My point is Tubby that this was known as Tory policy.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
Did they honestly expect Tories, even if they did know them, to turn their backs on what might turn out to be a big business chance?
Tory councillors aren't keen on building big housing estates near them. No idea why fracking should be any different.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Osborne has bundled up all of our public holdings – in every company from the collapsed banks to the Royal Mint –
and put them under the control of a government organisation called UK Government Investments.

Osborne’s privatisation, like the rest of his austerity programme, will enable him to transfer wealth from the public to a far
smaller group of private investors. The employees can look forward to cuts in jobs, pay and conditions – as we have seen
across the privatised utilities. The rest of us, the customers, will endure higher bills and paying for hidden subsidies. And
the chancellor? He will have brought in enough cash to enable him to make some pre-election tax cuts – to literally buy
himself votes.

Osborne calls this privatisation. I treat it as part and parcel of austerity. But there is another term you and I might use.
Because this making off with our public property is nothing more than legalised larceny.

- Aditya Chakrabortty
Austerity is far more than just cuts. It’s about privatising everything we own
24 May 2016

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ain-assets" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wasn't aware of the governmental organisation called, UK Government Investments. Good article.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
In the same way that building bungalows is. Try building them near Brandon Lewis though!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

High-pitched power tool sounding on and off in our residential village area. The owner of said power tool better stop it. Industrial work
conducted out of a residential garage. I'll make it my life's work to stop them. I'm being dramatic. The noise, however, must stop.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: They expected local councillors who they knew and trusted to vote against. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
In the same way that building bungalows is. Try building them near Brandon Lewis though!
If there was a site that had been prepared for building bungalows previously and this was Tory policy I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Not the greatest analogy (Tories, building?!?) but you get the idea.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: They expected local councillors who they knew and trusted to vote against. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
Tory councillors aren't keen on building big housing estates near them. No idea why fracking should be any different.
C'mon Tubby. Old boy network? Masons? Future earnings too juicy to turn down?

Oh and promise anything to their core voters as long as they get elected.

Eidted to add: and they do whatever their masters in Whitehall tell them.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Tue 24 May, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Brandon Lewis and bungalows.

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2014 ... evelopment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's the minister responsible for development and had been extremely vociferous about them. When 6 (count em!) affordable bungalows came up in his constituency, he made out they'd cause "traffic chaos".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

StephenDolan wrote:Tories knew Tories wanted to expand fracking. For them I have no sympathy, only disgust. If it was a crucial decision for voting at the GE then vote accordingly. Things you actively vote for can affect you and your family.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:They expected local councillors who they knew and trusted to vote against. That doesn't sound unreasonable to me.
StephenDolan wrote:My point is Tubby that this was known as Tory policy.
Tubby Isaacs wrote:In the same way that building bungalows is. Try building them near Brandon Lewis though!
Tory bungalow building permits and Tory hydraulic fracturing intentions are knowns. Good. We've cleared that up.
I doubt it'll be just Tory water supplies fouled up by unconventional fossil fuel extraction. I'm sorry Tory stupidity
won't mean only Tories suffering for it. I'm not really interested in anyone suffering, I'd just like them to stop voting for
a bad political party. I'd like for Tory voters to understand what the consequences are when bad leadership rules the country.
I agree with StephenDolan. Tory government in Westminster made their hydraulic fracturing intentions sufficiently well known
prior their election. What anyone in Yorkshire or wherever the hell it is in the UK is doing voting for Tories is - I don't know what.
The Tory party are a demonstrably bad political party, consistently harmful, foisting foolish policies onto us all costing people their
lives. I don't believe most people are dumber than shit or self-absorbed to the point of psychosis. Voting Tory is a bad habit. Please
stop voting for Tories, for the benefit of us all, that's my advice. Definitely put an immediate stop to hydraulic fracturing in the UK.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tristram Hunt tells Oxbridge students that 'the top 1 per cent' must take leadership in Labour again

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 17731.html
:toss:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Tristram Hunt tells Oxbridge students that 'the top 1 per cent' must take leadership in Labour again

Isn't that an old story - or has he said it again?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 4m4 minutes ago
Tories challenge application by Kent police for more time to investigate 2015 Tory expenses in South Thanet http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/k ... urt-96365/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Interesting. Looks like the Tories aren't comfortable with all these investigations.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:

Monday 2 November 2015
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

Éoin ‏@LabourEoin · 6m6 minutes ago

National Newspaper just told me that they are breaking the story "very soon". A couple of "last minute" changes being made #ElectionExpenses
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Brandon Lewis and bungalows.

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2014 ... evelopment" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's the minister responsible for development and had been extremely vociferous about them. When 6 (count em!) affordable bungalows came up in his constituency, he made out they'd cause "traffic chaos".
Well there you are then, they're 'affordable', so for the riff raff. Can't have that.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I thought this might be the 'big' scandal, but it was updated yesterday - 23rd, and written 22nd.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... garch.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

gilsey wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Brandon Lewis and bungalows.

Well there you are then, they're 'affordable', so for the riff raff. Can't have that.
My Lord, that fracking deal must be a sweet one for the councilors somewhere down the line.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
StephenDolan wrote:
9 retweets 6 likes
Reply Retweeted 9
Like 6
More

@joanna_caron

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/env ... -1-7925390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Planners had recommended the application be approved, despite acknowledging that the majority of representations received in consultation were objections.

Vicky Perkin, a council planning officer, told the committee that, of 4,420 individual representations, 4,375 were objections and just 36 were in support of the application.
That's a lot of unhappy tories, maybe there's hope yet for North Yorkshire.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

It's gone from "breaking in minutes" to "very soon"
@ LabourEoin
9m
@nw_nicholas Far from it. Story will break in minutes. Last minute touches to a technical
accompaniment being made.

@ LabourEoin
8m
National Newspaper just told me that they are breaking the story "very soon". A couple of "last minute" changes being made
When he said 'nuclear' I hope he didn't mean cold fusion.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Monday 2 November 2015
Sorry about that. Just noticed a few minutes ago...Tired today. The brain is fuddled.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Even he isn't stupid enough to say that again just days after bigging up "salt of the earth" working class patriotism. I *think* :twisted:
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: :toss:
Even he isn't stupid enough to say that again just days after bigging up "salt of the earth" working class patriotism. I *think* :twisted:
It's why the story surfaced again. People have long memories.
Bonnylad
Committee Member

Post by Bonnylad »

Hope this isn't the big story we are waiting for...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ia ... by-8034773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Smears hit new depth as Labour ‘moderate’ Luke Akehurst compares Corbyn supporters to ISIS
comparing supporters of Jeremy Corbyn to people “moving through the party like Isis in their jeeps in Iraq“. The context of this comparison was the enthusiasm expressed by Jeremy Corbyn at a recent rally for the influx of new members and supporters to Labour and what it meant for party democracy:

http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/09/smea ... s-to-isis/
Well, there's another one whose box I shan't be ticking.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bonnylad wrote:Hope this isn't the big story we are waiting for...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ia ... by-8034773" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: :lol: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Smears hit new depth as Labour ‘moderate’ Luke Akehurst compares Corbyn supporters to ISIS
comparing supporters of Jeremy Corbyn to people “moving through the party like Isis in their jeeps in Iraq“. The context of this comparison was the enthusiasm expressed by Jeremy Corbyn at a recent rally for the influx of new members and supporters to Labour and what it meant for party democracy:

http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/09/smea ... s-to-isis/
Well, there's another one whose box I shan't be ticking.
What the hell is 'moderate' about these people? That term is wholly inappropriate and misleading.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: :toss:
Monday 2 November 2015
Sorry about that. Just noticed a few minutes ago...Tired today. The brain is fuddled.
You're a dear friend, you need never apologise for posts
Unless you call me mean names
But you wouldn't do that
so, there we are then
the end of message
:heart:
:rock:
when words are not
:rock:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Is it me or is this a hotch potch, rambling article only in the Guardian because it's Steve Hilton?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:Is it me or is this a hotch potch, rambling article only in the Guardian because it's Steve Hilton?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... emy-corbyn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Radio 4 seems to have a crush on Hilton at the moment. Can't seem to switch it on without hearing his name.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tristram Hunt's patronising ideas about patriotism will not win back the working class

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/05 ... king-class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Is it me or is this a hotch potch, rambling article only in the Guardian because it's Steve Hilton?

Steve Hilton on Tory 'bullying of Corbyn':
“I thought it was incredibly unattractive.”
It's not just you. The article is all over the place - predictions of Trump winning, unattractive bullying and 'kinder, gentler politics' with Corbyn? That was Bush's dumb line. It was a dumb line when Bush used it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Tristram Hunt's patronising ideas about patriotism will not win back the working class

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/05 ... king-class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In Manchester, Liverpool and across industrial Britain, the Labour movement and progressive politics came into being to civilise
the last urban century. And as we stand on the precipice of a new industrial revolution, the power of the city waxes once again.
Whilst national governments groan under the weight of economic stagnation and institutional collapse, dynamic, open, culturally
confident cities are pulling further and further ahead.

Now, as we look out across a continent governed by the centre-right and in parts threatened by outright fascism, hope is not a
commodity in plentiful supply.

...my message tonight is that a radical decentralisation of power is also essential for our historic mission of reducing inequality;
That building a less divided Britain relies on a public culture that can empower civic activism and unleash local pride; And that
the evidence clearly shows how devolved government is more responsive, accountable, trusted, knowledgeable, and innovative
than Westminster when it comes to making difficult decisions in the community interest.

Giving away power can help us reduce inequality in a material sense and start to heal the ties of social obligation that inequality
has begun to fray. This will be not be without its challenges. For the Labour Party it requires nothing less than a philosophical
deep clean. A rejection of our dominant centralist orthodoxy. And a rediscovery of our municipal socialist roots.

- Tristram Hunt
The Urban Century
18 April 2016

http://www.tristramhunt.com/the_urban_century" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jon SnowVerified account
‏@jonsnowC4

Tories go to court to try to prevent Kent police having extra time to investigate huge sums they spent in defeating Farage in South Thanet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ma ... ho-8037089" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kenny Bailey, who the Mirror revealed had had his benefits taken away after a DWP test deemed him 'fit for work', has had the decision overturned
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Looks like it'll be the Mirror that Eoin's talking about. Think it is going to be a long slow burn - nothing quick and sensational.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

RobertSnozers wrote:I think Eoin may have oversold this a tad

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pa ... al-8041095" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Agreed.

I was very much under the impression that there was some huge new revelation on the way.

Not all that impressive from him, sorry to say.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't see what's nuclear about that - if this is what Eoin is referring to. He said it was a scandal if my memory serves me right ... the Mirror investigation certainly isn't that. It's a bigger version of the group the Lib Dems have already set up.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

That can't be it, surely?

I'm not his biggest fan, but he's not that daft. Unless he's been bulshitted to by a Mirror journo, it's got to be something else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"It is not only incredibly patronising to suggest that the working class just need a bit of flag waving to engage them with politics, it's
also deeply frustrating. This was an opportunity to look at the problems many working class communities face and to come up with
real ways of reconnecting with them."

In almost all the articles Hunt has written on the subject over the last few days he brings up Emily Thornberry's tweet during the
general election campaign about the house in Rochester which was draped in St George's flags. He clearly thinks this was an incident
which damaged the Labour party with working class voters. Of course, the tweet was ill-judged but it was a much a bigger issue for
the political journalists covering the election than it was normal people. Most of my family live on council estates, I texted a few of
them yesterday to ask if they remembered Thornberry's tweet. Only one did. This kind of thing is what middle-class, highly educated
people believe the working class are concerned about rather than what they actually are.

- Natalie Bloomer
Tristram Hunt's patronising ideas about patriotism will not win back the working class
24 May 2016
Jeremy Hunt's constituency work in Stoke-on-Trent (Central) isn't theoretical, he talks with people, he's here in Stoke talking with
them. If he's brought up that incident, it's because it's something people in the constituency he represents have spoken to him
about. It's bothered some people. I wasn't as bothered by it as others are. The author should text a few more people or use
another data collection instrument. Hunt doesn't think people will be best served by UKIP in government. I agree with him.
Hunt talks with UKIP supporters regularly in Stoke Central. He listens to what they tell them. Is that patronising?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Looks like it'll be the Mirror that Eoin's talking about. Think it is going to be a long slow burn - nothing quick and sensational.
It looks as if it is that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:Yes. There's the promise of future revelations, and I can see why it needs publicity to make sure people respond, but a little expectation management as to the kind of announcement that was to be made would not go amiss.

It wouldn't surprise me if they wanted to announce this with a big a story but couldn't line that part of it up for some reason.

Reminds me of the bit in one of The Thick Of It specials where Malcolm Tucker makes a minister go on Newsnight to announce he's resigning, then tells him not to as the cameras are about to roll, so the minister is forced to do a lame interview about his new book with an incensed Jeremy Paxman.

Eoin is understandably getting a bit of a kicking on Twitter.
I wonder though - his pre tweets were saying things like 'then it's up to you' so maybe he / the Mirror are relying on this people's investigations to bring out the stories - if there are any more. I spose I'm saying this might be it for now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2016 ... SApp_Other" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS regulator to scale back hospital inspections after budget cuts
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://speye.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/ ... licit-nhf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP lies over benefit cap aided and abetted by ignorant and complicit NHF