Friday 10th.June 2016

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 10th.June 2016

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tony Blair: Psychopath or comedy genius?
http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2016/06/1 ... dy-genius/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jonathan Pie video clip. Watch it. (Especially recommended for Robert Snozers).
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Not sure which paper / website this was published on ... seemed rather apposite after the Jonathan Pie clip - and discussions here yesterday.
In 45 minutes.jpg
In 45 minutes.jpg (84.29 KiB) Viewed 6216 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I've always known Tony Blair is loco. I've never denied that.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Would you like strawberries on your ice cream?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Afternoon all.

So the new Chief Inspector of schools to replace Wilshaw is someone who has never taught but was in corporate finance and then an adviser to ARK.

Prefect!

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/amanda-spielma ... inspector/
In a press release Nicky Morgan said that Spielman was “the right person” to “improve the quality and consistency of Ofsted’s inspections”.

The move, first reported in TES, is unlikely to be welcomed in some education circles, as as Spielman has not previously worked as a teacher, instead beginning her career in corporate finance.

However, she has spent the past decade developing the successful academy trust ARK and is currently chair of Ofqual, the exam regulator having recently served a period as interim CEO.
So, I guess that Wilshaw's wish to have academy trusts in the same way that LAs were inspected will just get quietly dropped.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

John McDonnell MPVerified account
‏@johnmcdonnellMP John McDonnell MP Retweeted Paul Waugh

.@jeremycorbyn & @GloriaDePiero deserve huge credit for number of young people now registered to vote in the #EUrefJohn McDonnell MP added,
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

@Roger did you mean to say "prefect"?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@Roger did you mean to say "prefect"?
Heh.

No...but I quite like it like that.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
No bonfire of labour laws following a Brexit vote
Written by: Stephen Taylor, Senior Lecturer in Human Resource ManagementUniversity of Exeter Posted On: 10th June 2016
Exeter University Business School's Senior Lecturer, Stephen Taylor, writes that 19,000 EU regulations affecting workers' rights cannot be repealed - in the event of a Leave vote - until any future government chooses to do so.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/ec ... rexit-vote" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So there will be a 'bonfire of labour laws' if the Tories go for it. Can any sensible person suggest they won't be tempted ?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote: Ros Altmann - to save you the bother. She's got some very unappealing views - obviously didn't achieve the usual level of self censorship and let some of them slip through
Is she still a member of about five political parties simultaneously? :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Not sure which paper / website this was published on ... seemed rather apposite after the Jonathan Pie clip - and discussions here yesterday.
In 45 minutes.jpg
Peter Brookes. Pretty sure he works for The Times
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Afternoon folks,
Not seeing any of the rain that keeps getting forecasted. After the wettest winter on record, the ground is now drier than a witches t*ts.

Which is not why I logged in. Best wishes to all the the less than fully fit nesters and Ladbrokes have 'Remain' at 73%. I assume they base their odds on more than licking a finger and sticking it in the air.
The Ladbrokes 73% to remain sounds good, but optimistic, having talked to a ukippy brexiter, not convinced there's any hope for some of them, it was on lines of:
'We did well before being in Europe, so will do better out again' , 'Politicians want to stay, they all lie, so we should leave' , 'Angela Merkel orders us around' etc.
'Morons, your bus is leaving' springs to mind, I don't think they're open to reason.

Also have just found a large amount of the missing rain.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks for sorting that link for me earlier danesclose.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinybgoat wrote:
55DegreesNorth wrote:Afternoon folks,
Not seeing any of the rain that keeps getting forecasted. After the wettest winter on record, the ground is now drier than a witches t*ts.

Which is not why I logged in. Best wishes to all the the less than fully fit nesters and Ladbrokes have 'Remain' at 73%. I assume they base their odds on more than licking a finger and sticking it in the air.
The Ladbrokes 73% to remain sounds good, but optimistic, having talked to a ukippy brexiter, not convinced there's any hope for some of them, it was on lines of:
'We did well before being in Europe, so will do better out again' , 'Politicians want to stay, they all lie, so we should leave' , 'Angela Merkel orders us around' etc.
'Morons, your bus is leaving' springs to mind, I don't think they're open to reason.

Also have just found a large amount of the missing rain.
The thing is the UK joined because it had declined relative to France and Germany. People talk like we joined in 1900 or something.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just checked how many Brits actually vote in EU elections.

The results are illuminating, and shocked me - apart from a few newer entry countries in Eastern Europe with lower %s, we have a very poor record of turnout for MEP elections compared to other EU members.

Maybe that helps explain why so many people parrot that the EU hoists undemocratic laws on us ?
If they haven't been arsed to vote, why moan ?

http://www.ukpolitical.info/european-pa ... urnout.htm
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah, that's classic hard of thinking stuff. Not voting then moaning about not being asked?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I've been taken to task by Brexit fans on AS's blog for daring to suggest such a thing.

They are a tiresome bunch.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:I've been taken to task by Brexit fans on AS's blog for daring to suggest such a thing.

They are a tiresome bunch.
You're a brave soul.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:Just checked how many Brits actually vote in EU elections.

The results are illuminating, and shocked me - apart from a few newer entry countries in Eastern Europe with lower %s, we have a very poor record of turnout for MEP elections compared to other EU members.

Maybe that helps explain why so many people parrot that the EU hoists undemocratic laws on us ?
If they haven't been arsed to vote, why moan ?

http://www.ukpolitical.info/european-pa ... urnout.htm
And we elect UKIP MEPs who have a dire record for not bothering to turn up let alone look out for our interests.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

An appeal for funds to pay for the funeral of a poor little newborn baby found dead on a riverbank:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... n-11456049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Morgan cancels controversial free school 3 months before opening

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/morgan-cancels ... e-opening/
Nicky Morgan has withdrawn permission for a Suffolk free school after the county council launched a legal challenge, leading to a government source admitting the free school approval process still needs “kinks working out”.
The Department for Education (DfE) gave approval in March for Bury St Edmunds All-Through Trust (BSEATT) to open a middle free school in September, but within the last 48 hours has reneged after mounting pressure from local councillors, headteachers and the community.

Suffolk County Council was said to be “incensed” by the decision to approve the new middle school, as the town, Bury St Edmunds, was the last area in the county to move from a middle school system to one with just primary and secondary schools.
After 6 years they still haven't got it right?

:roll:

This was the one with this extraordinary bit in the HTs letter to the DfE.

http://www.buryschoolspartnership.org.u ... y-2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We believe that the decision-making process is deeply flawed. At a meeting chaired by local MP Jo Churchill on 5 May 2016 attended by four local headteachers, the Regional Schools Commissioner for the East of England made two surprising admissions. First, he stated that he had not personally recommended that the free school bid be accepted. Secondly, he admitted that he had not read the application before its approval by the Schools Minister.

This raises fundamental questions about how decisions are made and by whom.
Says a lot about the DfE that they're still clueless about getting processes right.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The solar power industry says it has seen the loss of more than half its 35,000 jobs due to recent changes in government
energy policy, just at a time when solar power has eclipsed coal as a major generator of Britain’s electricity.

Experts believe ministers had cut subsidies too far and too fast, praising the “seismic”, record-breaking growth of solar
in recent years.

- More than half of jobs in UK solar industry lost in wake of subsidy cuts

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... rgy-policy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tens of thousands redundancies in solar power - this is more than shocking
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@Roger did you mean to say "prefect"?
Heh.

No...but I quite like it like that.
Oh - you've ruined it. I was so impressed!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Morgan cancels controversial free school 3 months before opening

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/morgan-cancels ... e-opening/
Nicky Morgan has withdrawn permission for a Suffolk free school after the county council launched a legal challenge, leading to a government source admitting the free school approval process still needs “kinks working out”.
The Department for Education (DfE) gave approval in March for Bury St Edmunds All-Through Trust (BSEATT) to open a middle free school in September, but within the last 48 hours has reneged after mounting pressure from local councillors, headteachers and the community.

Suffolk County Council was said to be “incensed” by the decision to approve the new middle school, as the town, Bury St Edmunds, was the last area in the county to move from a middle school system to one with just primary and secondary schools.
After 6 years they still haven't got it right?

:roll:

This was the one with this extraordinary bit in the HTs letter to the DfE.

http://www.buryschoolspartnership.org.u ... y-2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We believe that the decision-making process is deeply flawed. At a meeting chaired by local MP Jo Churchill on 5 May 2016 attended by four local headteachers, the Regional Schools Commissioner for the East of England made two surprising admissions. First, he stated that he had not personally recommended that the free school bid be accepted. Secondly, he admitted that he had not read the application before its approval by the Schools Minister.

This raises fundamental questions about how decisions are made and by whom.
Says a lot about the DfE that they're still clueless about getting processes right.
Glad they've backed down though. The challengers must have had a very good case.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote: Also have just found a large amount of the missing rain.
I think I've got most of the rest of it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
Could you forward any unwanted bits down here please.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just heard that my niece who is 44, has just had a mild stroke. Mini clots but no damage. It's really shaken her.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Could you forward any unwanted bits down here please.
We've just had a short heavy shower. Overcast now. Yellow weather warnings out but they were the other day and we didn't get any.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:Just heard that my niece who is 44, has just had a mild stroke. Mini clots but no damage. It's really shaken her.
Give my love to her, please, Ohso.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

EU Referendum: Massive swing to Brexit – with just 13 days to go
Exclusive: polling carried out for ‘The Independent’ shows that 55 per cent of UK voters intend to vote for Britain to leave the EU in the 23 June referendum

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 75131.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's ORB - which Smithson seemed to be saying he rated least amongst the pollsters. But still - seems to fit with the general narrative. But polls heh - still don't trust them.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 10m10 minutes ago
Mike Smithson Retweeted Vote Leave
Vote Leave disowning ORB online 10% LEAVE lead poll. Maybe they think it will make supporters complacent

Vote Leave
‏@vote_leave
We don't believe the ORB online poll, our data suggests it's closer to 50-50 #VoteLeave
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Just heard that my niece who is 44, has just had a mild stroke. Mini clots but no damage. It's really shaken her.
Give my love to her, please, Ohso.
She is having a job to take it in. Woke with a headache put it down to a migraine. Felt faint at work and then her arm went numb. She drove herself to the doctors, he thought it was just the migraine, but referred her to the hospital. Good job he did.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Hale
‏@petervhale

BBC News - Sadiq Khan: Labour must do more for Remain vote

Qian Yu ‏@QianYu61 8m8 minutes ago
Qian Yu Retweeted Peter Hale

Sadiq Khan actually said, "Jeremy Corbyn has been working very hard"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pretty good!!!!

An additional 1,869,904 people registered to vote.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Rosen ‏@MichaelRosenYes 3h3 hours ago
I think we should be putting forward other candidates for the next Head of Ofsted. I propose : Nigel Farage, Toby Young, or Tony Blair.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Four local council byelections yesterday, some big swings:

North East Lincolnshire - Labour hold with approaching half the vote, a small decrease since this May but up on GE day a year ago and a 10% swing to them since 2014 when UKIP narrowly won here - UKIP stayed second this time with their share almost unchanged, and it was actually the third placed Tories (who have never been close to winning here - the LibDems frequently did until 2008, helped by the Tories often not standing whilst there was an unwritten "anti-Labour" pact on this council, but they have totally vanished now) who increased their poll since last month. Greens scored just 2.5%, but that was enough to overtake TUSC who saw their share halved from a month ago.

Essex CC - UKIP gain from Labour in a double member division where they had shared the spoils three years ago. Labour only had a tiny lead in the combined vote then, but were slightly further ahead in the Basildon DC wards making up this seat a month ago making this a notably good result for the Kippers (who actually won all three district seats in their high point of 2014) A swing of 6% from three years ago was enough to give UKIP a fairly comfortable win, and the Tories (who took both seats from Labour in their annus horribilis of 2009 before losing them four years later) also advanced a little though they are still a long way behind. Intriguingly, the last placed Greens also managed to improve a bit here - to over 5%.

Southwark - LibDem hold one of their former strongholds in the north of this borough (it was in fact the only ward in Greater London to vote LibDem at constituency level in May's assembly elections) Whilst it was relatively close last time, it reverted to its usual safeness now as they scored over half the vote - an increase of some 20 per cent. In the circumstances, Labour may be pleased to have held their share from two years ago even if they were left well behind - whilst the Tories (who took second here in 2002, 2006 and 2010 - as on the other side of the Thames, this old "docklands" area contains some upmarket housing developments) were clearly down even on their relatively disappointing 2014 showing. LibDems also advanced at the expense of the 4th placed Greens and 5th placed UKIP (who polled relatively well here last time in coming 4th, but were more than halved now) A token Independent last with as many votes - 10 - as consenting signatures (a heroic 0.3%)

Lambeth - Labour hold, but by a hairsbreadth as there was a spectacular swing of over 27% to the Greens. In a way, it was the 2014 result here that was the aberration when it saw a big Labour win - 2002 and 2006 saw the Tories win all three seats and even though they lost them to Labour in 2010, it was still fairly close. Even so, such a big swing requires an explanation and it is seemingly to be found in local factors - the Labour (or as many dissenting voices put it, "Progress") council has engaged in a controversial and unpopular "rationalisation" of the library service in the borough, and apparent plans to bulldoze a fairly large estate in the ward have not helped. Add to that a rather fraught local selection contest for Labour (partly due to the above) and things become more explicable. Hard to believe the Tories ever won here now as they dropped to less than 8% - LibDems and UKIP also down on last time, whilst an Independent edged out TUSC in the wooden spoon battle.

Just one contest next week.

EDIT: hope that is the first result cleared up now :)
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Fri 10 Jun, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@Anatoly

Not sure I understand the first result. Could you give the ranking order re party share of vote - maybe I'll get it then! Or point me to a link that gives it. Many thanks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Committee Chair Laurence Robertson:

"As a Committee, we were concerned that people in Northern Ireland were perhaps not as exposed to the details involved in this
referendum as we would wish, especially when faced with opposing claims and frightening statistics on a daily basis. We launched
this inquiry to help the people of Northern Ireland get a better understanding of how the choice to leave or remain could affect their
day-to-day lives, as well as the overall direction of the Province.

Our intention was not to promote either argument—we have MPs on the Committee from both camps—but to indicate what the
significant effects of leaving the EU could be, what outcomes we can be sure of, and what we do not know. We also attempted to
explore how the EU might evolve over the next few years.

Should the UK decide to leave the EU, many of the issues we have examined would be subject to negotiations, the outcome of which
it is not possible to definitively predict. No one can say for certain what our trade arrangements with the EU would be or how border
arrangements with the Republic of Ireland would change, if at all. Nor, of course, do we know what the EU will look like in, say, five
or ten years’ time, or what the depth of the UK’s involvement with the EU will be by that time.

Voters will therefore have to make up their own minds based on whether the potential benefits of leaving the EU outweigh the
perceived risks. As we say above, it was not the Committee’s intention to make a recommendation either way. However, we
do hope that this report will help the electorate of Northern Ireland make an informed decision."

- 26 May 2016

The Northern Ireland Affairs Committee publishes its report into Northern Ireland and the referendum on the United Kingdom’s
membership of the European Union. The report identifies the potential impact of a Brexit in key areas such as the economy,
agriculture and the border with the Republic.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... ort-16-17/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

House of Commons
Northern Ireland Affairs Committee
Northern Ireland and the EU referendum
First Report of Session 2016–17
Report, together with formal minutes relating to the report
25 May 2016

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... /48/48.pdf
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Oh, for crying out loud! First paragraph of the conclusion of the report linked above:
"What sort of post-Brexit trading relationship the UK might negotiate with the EU
is the question that needs to be answered before any robust evaluation of the likely
impact of leaving the EU can be made. For many people, it is the main question that
will determine which way they decide to vote. It became apparent during our visit
to Brussels that there is an unwillingness to discuss options for UK-EU
relations in the event of a vote to leave ahead of the referendum.

This is probably inevitable. The future relationship will be the product of a negotiation
process between the UK and the remainder of the EU. Nobody has the authority to state
in advance of that negotiation process what the outcome will be, including the extent of
Single Market access for UK firms and the extent of regulatory compliance.

However, it means that one of the most important questions in the minds of many
remains unanswered and votes will be cast on the perception of risk and the
balance of probability.
"
(my emphasis)

"However, it means that one of the most important questions in the minds of many remains
unanswered and votes will be cast on the perception of risk and the balance of probability.
"

You on your own.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"Ireland and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization have had a formal relationship since 1999, when Ireland joined as a member of the
NATO Partnership for Peace (PfP) programme and signed up to NATO'S Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council (EAPC)."
Tony Blair was integral to those arrangements, wasn't he?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Corbyn coming across well on The Last Leg.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see that Paul Marshall, senior non-exec director at the DfE, gets a knighthood in the honours list.

Oh...he's the founder of ARK...winning all the prizes today they are...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Dame Louise Casey.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Joel Hills ‏@ITVJoel 6m6 minutes ago
Breaking: Sir Philip Green accuses Frank Field MP of "bias" + trying to "destroy my reputation". Insists he resigns from BHS investigation

Joel Hills ‏@ITVJoel 6m6 minutes ago
In a letter to Frank Field, Green states "I am not prepared to participate in a process which has not even the pretence of fairness".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Thank you for the edit Anatoly. My confusion is gone.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CBE for the Programme Director of UC.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:CBE for the Programme Director of UC.
Dave's hair stylist was a more deserving recipient, in my opinion, than the director of the Universal Credit programme.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
HindleA wrote:CBE for the Programme Director of UC.
Dave's hair stylist was a more deserving recipient, in my opinion, than the director of the Universal Credit programme.
Yes - they've generally been more adept at hiding the gaping holes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA